Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
If I were in the Chargers promotions or season ticket sales department I'd start my weekend early and be very deep in a bottle of the cheapest booze within arms reach right about now.

How the hell do you promote this team or convince people to buy tickets to what has 'lame duck session' written all over it? Ahhhhhh hell it just gives Rivers another 12 months to fill his quiver in his safe place before he crosses the county line into LA and immolates upon entry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
i'm re-newing my season tickets tomorrow oh god help me

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ross Angeles posted:

i'm re-newing my season tickets tomorrow oh god help me

You poor sorry bastard.

I think this is just Spanos trying to keep people coming to games in a lame duck year. "No really we want to stay!" Hopefully I'm wrong.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

keevo posted:

How do I give Mike Scifres my money without giving the Chargers any money?

Write him a personal check

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I think they'll make an attempt to stay, but the negotiations are going to be tough. The Chargers are gonna point to their agreement with Kroenke and the city is gonna say "lol ok it's still San Diego so we're doing alright thanks" and maybe they'll find room in the middle but I don't have any hope.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
You guys do realize that San Diego is only about a two hour drive to Los Angeles. It's not like current Charger fans can't continue going to games if they move to LA.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Jubs posted:

You guys do realize that San Diego is only about a two hour drive to Los Angeles. It's not like current Charger fans can't continue going to games if they move to LA.

The only good time to drive to LA is when the sun is down.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Jubs posted:

Traffic laughs at that estimate

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/693211899836665856

Oh!

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

That's not additional money- just restating that they're giving the $100M + the $200M G4 loan. Nothing to sneeze at, though- that's a quarter of the estimated cost.

Jubs posted:

But they won't. At least the majority won't.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Jubs posted:

They won't.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
You can drive to LA from San Diego in two hours, provided you leave about 3:00 AM.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Jubs posted:

only about a two hour drive to Los Angeles

You lost me at driving "to" Los Angeles.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

My work has a regional tech based around LA and I swear to god every time I've spoken with him he's driving

Or at least he's in a car

I don't know if standing still on a freeway counts as driving

Sometimes I'm like "hey man can you go to this site they need this equipment replaced" and he's like "sure it's about 4 miles away so if I leave at 4am I should get there after lunchtime"

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Jack Bauer moves around Los Angeles just fine I don't see what the problem is

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

There is zero chance a ballot measure passes now, with everyone knowing the Inglewood deal is in place already.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

bawfuls posted:

There is zero chance a ballot measure passes now, with everyone knowing the Inglewood deal is in place already.

it's supposed to work the opposite way

Having a deal to move to LA whenever they want gives the Chargers negotiating power. It forces San Diego to take them seriously.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Ehud posted:

it's supposed to work the opposite way

Having a deal to move to LA whenever they want gives the Chargers negotiating power. It forces San Diego to take them seriously.

the voters still hate Spanos

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

But it will backfire because now everyone is extra pissed at Spanos. He's already rejected good deals from the city so people aren't going to be inclined to give him still more now.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jubs posted:

Look at this post.

Look at it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ross Angeles posted:

the voters still hate Spanos

bawfuls posted:

But it will backfire because now everyone is extra pissed at Spanos. He's already rejected good deals from the city so people aren't going to be inclined to give him still more now.

Yeah but his other option is to work with Kroenke

maybe dealing with Kroenke made Spanos a little more open to deals he previously wasn't interested in

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Look at this post.

Look at it.

I was gonna ask where Jubs lives but that statement tells me what I need to know

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ehud posted:

Yeah but his other option is to work with Kroenke

maybe dealing with Kroenke made Spanos a little more open to deals he previously wasn't interested in
The news today indicates he has a deal in place with Kroenke now though. Sure it's probably not all that great, but it's at least palatable to Spanos or he wouldn't have agreed to it. I would be shocked if he comes back to the city of San Diego and says, "Ok that plan I just told you was poo poo like 2 months ago? Yeah that's fine with me, lets do that now."

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

bawfuls posted:

The news today indicates he has a deal in place with Kroenke now though. Sure it's probably not all that great, but it's at least palatable to Spanos or he wouldn't have agreed to it. I would be shocked if he comes back to the city of San Diego and says, "Ok that plan I just told you was poo poo like 2 months ago? Yeah that's fine with me, lets do that now."

If the plan was palatable, he'd move now.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

He still wants to be top dog in his own town not second fiddle to Kroenke. I'm sure he'd rather have his own new stadium in SD than move to LA, but if he can't get it this year he will move no question.

It is his second choice but it's still palatable.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Ross Angeles posted:

I was gonna ask where Jubs lives but that statement tells me what I need to know

The San Fernando Valley. There isn't much traffic Sunday mornings.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I've never driven back from San Diego on the weekend without getting stuck in traffic for an hour before the San Onofre. It's a 3 hour drive from SD to LA if you're lucky.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Jubs posted:

Jubs posted:

You guys do realize that Philadelphia is only about a two hour drive to New York. It's not like current Eagles fans can't continue going to games if they move to NYC.

Jubs posted:

You guys do realize that Detroit is only about a two hour drive to Columbus. It's not like current Lions fans can't continue going to games if they move to Ohio.

Jubs posted:

You guys do realize that Seattle is only about a two hour drive to Portland. It's not like current Seahawks fans can't continue going to games if they move to Rip Town.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I would like to direct you folks to the people who sat in front of me at Candlestick who drove from Tahoe through San Francisco to get to the 49ers games.

SF to Tahoe is about 4.5 hours without traffic, and probably an hour to get through SF on gameday. 5.5 hours each way.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Spoeank posted:

I would like to direct you folks to the people who sat in front of me at Candlestick who drove from Tahoe through San Francisco to get to the 49ers games.

SF to Tahoe is about 4.5 hours without traffic, and probably an hour to get through SF on gameday. 5.5 hours each way.

I'm thinking the cultural/neighboring city resentment stuff is a bigger deal here than the distance. I'm sure Denver and Green Bay fans come in from who the hell knows how far away.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah if there's one thing I've learned from living in San Diego for a decade, it's that native San Diegans tend to really hate LA for a variety of reasons. I'm pretty sure that to a lot of Charger fans, the team moving to LA is a bigger insult than if it moved to North Carolina or London or wherever. The logistics are irrelevant; most fans won't go see the team in LA just on principle.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Well they weren't really going when they were in San Diego either.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

NC-17 posted:

Well they weren't really going when they were in San Diego either.
Really untrue other than the last few years when this impending move has been a thing.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Parmesan Basil posted:

San Diego is the ancestral home for the Chargers. They belong there. They deserve the town. Go Chargers Go.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
They only played one season there tho

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Move the Lions back to Portsmouth.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Turning the Colts back into the Dayton Triangles would be cool for a game/season.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

*breathes loudly through mouth* ub, actually, the carddals belog in chicago illidois

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

computer parts posted:

Move the Bears back to Decatur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bring back the Steamroller

• Locked thread