Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I've been working on my minimal armour level 1 endurance stealthy build.

I decided to tackle Dunwich Borers. Most of it went pretty well with the sniper rifle except for the guy in power armour. His combination of level and headlight made him quick to spot me. He was also tanky enough to give my position away when I started plinking sniper bullets on him and even stray shots from him as he opened fire would cripple me in seconds.

So I snuck as close to him as I could on the ledge above him. Used a psycho and a stealth boy. Then I jumped down behind him and stabbed him in the back with Picmans blade. 12.6x bonus damage. There was just this loud screeching sound as if I had used a chainsaw and armour plates flying all over the place and then he dropped down dead.

I am going to start putting points into melee and strength perks and give this knife thing a try.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Zephyrine posted:

I decided to tackle Dunwich Borers. Most of it went pretty well with the sniper rifle except for the guy in power armour. His combination of level and headlight made him quick to spot me. He was also tanky enough to give my position away when I started plinking sniper bullets on him and even stray shots from him as he opened fire would cripple me in seconds.

So I snuck as close to him as I could on the ledge above him. Used a psycho and a stealth boy. Then I jumped down behind him and stabbed him in the back with Picmans blade. 12.6x bonus damage. There was just this loud screeching sound as if I had used a chainsaw and armour plates flying all over the place and then he dropped down dead.

I am going to start putting points into melee and strength perks and give this knife thing a try.

That sounds awesome. Just last night I, on my first play through, just got to the Borers and found the sacrificial blade there. That thing is awesome. I immediately went to the nearby village of Children of Atom and slaughtered them all melee style.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I just finished the main quest with the Minutemen ending! I'd read that a lot of people didn't like the main quest and I can understand why that is. I think the most disappointing aspect is that there are quite a few interesting ideas, only very little is done with them.

Out of curiosity I went to see how the Brotherhood and Railroad felt about me now. The Brotherhood were just talking about how they should've been the ones to destroy the Institute, and Elder Maxson in particular seems to be stuck in a "We'll talk later" loop that I imagine he'll be stuck in forever. The Railroad was a little more interesting as Desdemona commended me for destroying the Institute and therefore freeing the synths, and hinted that there would be some aftermath quests about finding them new homes. I don't know where such quests begin though, or whether or not I can even start them. My character just says "Desdemona!" as if they're going to talk and she remains silent... Maybe I need to talk to one of the others, Deacon maybe?

Otherwise, side-quest time... until I can be bothered to play the other strands some day.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Zephyrine posted:

Like all Bethesda games, stealth is an all-or-nothing affair. Until you get the lvl 4 upgrade, you're not really silent unless you're walking, which makes you move like a constipated elderly snail.

Melee is fun, especially with Blitz. Once you hit level 2 of that you become Teleporting Ninja Man.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The Railroad was a little more interesting as Desdemona commended me for destroying the Institute and therefore freeing the synths, and hinted that there would be some aftermath quests about finding them new homes. I don't know where such quests begin though, or whether or not I can even start them. My character just says "Desdemona!" as if they're going to talk and she remains silent... Maybe I need to talk to one of the others, Deacon maybe?

Sorry. They got nothing for you. All faction quests but Minutemen and the faction you sided with end once you end the main story, even when they act like they've got more stuff for you. I bet Des is just using lines from if you did the Railroad ending. It's because every faction wants you to kill all the other factions.

Maybe DLC will change things but for now, don't bother trying to talk to everyone - you're done.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I just finished the main quest with the Minutemen ending! I'd read that a lot of people didn't like the main quest and I can understand why that is. I think the most disappointing aspect is that there are quite a few interesting ideas, only very little is done with them.

Consider for a moment that you also picked the main quest ending that is the LEAST ridiculous.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Orgytron posted:

Yes. It gets communicated as a standard settlement attack. The quest usually bugs out and doesn't assign you credit for successfully defending the settlement, though, so it was a while before I figured out what was going on.

If you ever defend a settlement and one of your settlers end up dying, look for a synth component in their loot. If you find one, they were a synth.

Will Synth poo poo show up in their inventory if I go to pickpocket them? I'm about to go around all my settlements like the gestapo and put those robot bastards up against the wall if that's the case.

dj_clawson posted:

Oh man, she had to be the hardest fight in my first playthrough. The second time around, Preston was like, "Hey, are we ready to retake the castle?" And I was like, "Hold on let me get my upgraded power armor and a fat man. You'll see why."

I stumbled across a Mirelurk Queen fight in the middle of a goddamn random building on my relatively weak sniper character. I was like level 11 and was rolling with Dogmeat. Of course, minutes before the thing began I had just given Dogmeat a Fat Man and a rocket launcher to hold onto to keep my weight down. He immediately got one-shot in this little pit area so I had no way of getting those weapons, and all I had left was my kinda-souped up hunting rifle (with 12 rounds) and an automatic .38 pipe pistol. Yeah that was a hell of a fight.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Rough Lobster posted:

Will Synth poo poo show up in their inventory if I go to pickpocket them? I'm about to go around all my settlements like the gestapo and put those robot bastards up against the wall if that's the case.

I stumbled across a Mirelurk Queen fight in the middle of a goddamn random building on my relatively weak sniper character. I was like level 11 and was rolling with Dogmeat. Of course, minutes before the thing began I had just given Dogmeat a Fat Man and a rocket launcher to hold onto to keep my weight down. He immediately got one-shot in this little pit area so I had no way of getting those weapons, and all I had left was my kinda-souped up hunting rifle (with 12 rounds) and an automatic .38 pipe pistol. Yeah that was a hell of a fight.

I know that building well. Right next to very early and low level content.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Rough Lobster posted:

Isn't that the state house or some political building? That was fun, thankfully I had armor penetration for the mirelurks. I also one shot sneak attacked the queen with a sledgehammer.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Nasgate posted:

Isn't that the state house or some political building? That was fun, thankfully I had armor penetration for the mirelurks. I also one shot sneak attacked the queen with a sledgehammer.

I did that earlier today. I knew what was coming so I placed a nuke-mine in the middle of the room. She jumped out of the ground. The mine exploded and launched her up the shaft like a missile. She crashed back down and then just sat there at 20% health without moving. I didn't break stealth but I assume all the legs were crippled.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The tendency for large enemies to shoot into the sky is amazing. it's like a reversal of the giant bug in Skyrim.
It's nice too, because sometimes i dont want to fight a deathclaw.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You guys should record stuff like that it sounds hilarious

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I maxed out on lady killer perk ASAP to bang everyone and it hasn't popped up even once so now I'm just exceptionally good at killing women it's like an Elliot Rodger perk in disguise

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

That DICK! posted:

I maxed out on lady killer perk ASAP to bang everyone and it hasn't popped up even once so now I'm just exceptionally good at killing women it's like an Elliot Rodger perk in disguise

Assuming 'bang' means what I think it means, you don't get that option here. Yet another reason why the world needs Obsidibeth.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Getting weird bugs where my aiming reticule will be off from my guns aim point, making me miss aimed in shots as the projectile sails past. :Bethesda:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Gynovore posted:

Assuming 'bang' means what I think it means, you don't get that option here. Yet another reason why the world needs Obsidibeth.

This is the only review necessary for this game.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

eating only apples posted:

Sorry. They got nothing for you. All faction quests but Minutemen and the faction you sided with end once you end the main story, even when they act like they've got more stuff for you. I bet Des is just using lines from if you did the Railroad ending. It's because every faction wants you to kill all the other factions.

Maybe DLC will change things but for now, don't bother trying to talk to everyone - you're done.

Aw, that's lame.

shovelbum posted:

Consider for a moment that you also picked the main quest ending that is the LEAST ridiculous.

Ooh, I'll look forward to this!

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I just found this white and pink flight helmet with built in goggles. I thought there was only the yellow, red and brown helmets. I was hoping there was re-texture mod for it because it goes perfect with my jetpack, but I don't see it listed at all on Nexus, and there are tons of other retextures of the other flight helmets. It's like my character is Rocketeer.

By the way, the jetpack is the best loving mod in the game. I feel like some kind of superhero now, bounding all over the place up hills and buildings. I know that the vanilla game has a jetpack on the power armor, but I've hardly used power armor at all in this game, and I'm level 50. I like being light on my feet.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Did anyone else have a weird experience investigating the museum of witchcraft?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNTZECcSWOg

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

wolffenstein posted:

Did anyone else have a weird experience investigating the museum of witchcraft?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNTZECcSWOg

This is so much better than what was actually in the museum.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Mendrian posted:

This is so much better than what was actually in the museum.

I was expecting the museum thing to build up for a bit longer and for something more interesting. Like the Dunwich Borers. Instead it kind of fizzled out. Extra so because the fighting area comes with a safe room that you can have a bite and a drink in. In case you want to take a break.

Also I had Deacon with me and the first thing he says when you hear rumbling in the basement is "Deathclaw"

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 30, 2016

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Can someone tell me if I need to manually scrap weapons/armor for the scrapper perk? I am a little confused how modded armor/guns work with it, will it break the entire item down when I need to make a mod?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

xxEightxx posted:

Can someone tell me if I need to manually scrap weapons/armor for the scrapper perk? I am a little confused how modded armor/guns work with it, will it break the entire item down when I need to make a mod?

You can always scrap them in the construction benches for that type but the scrapper perk makes it possible to get less common things like screws from doing so.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Scrapper isn't really worth it; there are better things to spend perk points on. If it's rarer components you need, it's still trivially easy to find or buy them. Plus, scrapper doesn't really give you all that many extra materials in the long run.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Backhand posted:

Scrapper isn't really worth it; there are better things to spend perk points on. If it's rarer components you need, it's still trivially easy to find or buy them. Plus, scrapper doesn't really give you all that many extra materials in the long run.

I like scrapper because the last rank highlights needed material and containers that the material is inside.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Backhand posted:

I was just curious how it worked since dumping armor on the ground to salvage in a settlement is a pita.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Backhand posted:

I found it useful. Modded energy weapons give you fibre optics and stuff.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Pocket Billiards posted:

I found it useful. Modded energy weapons give you fibre optics and stuff.

If you're building gun torrents, you totally need fiber optics and circuitry and oil, and that's a lot of scavenging. Having both levels of the perk is awesome.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

dj_clawson posted:

If you're building gun torrents, you totally need fiber optics and circuitry and oil, and that's a lot of scavenging. Having both levels of the perk is awesome.

I just take a trip around the world and trade surplus ammo for literally all the junk that the junk vendors have that costs less than 20 caps per item.

I do that every few hours and then bring it all back home.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

This thread seems to have died. Is it safe to assume, judging by the low number of daily posts now, that the game's replayability value is very low?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

This thread seems to have died. Is it safe to assume, judging by the low number of daily posts now, that the game's replayability value is very low?

If you,like running gimmick builds the replay ability is high if not it is low

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I liked running gimmick builds in NV because there were, you know, actual builds.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

enraged_camel posted:

Pretty much. Until we have some DLC or the Creation Kit, once you're done, you're done. The only reason to continue to explore is to see what new game breaking bugs you can try to discover.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

EricFate posted:

Pretty much. Until we have some DLC or the Creation Kit, once you're done, you're done. The only reason to continue to explore is to see what new game breaking bugs you can try to discover.

I don't know. I'm on my second playthrough now and I'm discovering a lot of nooks and crannies I didn't get to the first time. The game does give you a large world to explore. But if you do all of that exploring in the first game or you're here for the plot, then do a save before you make any big faction decisions that turn other factions hostile, and go back to that save to see the three major endings. The Brotherhood of Steel one is worth doing just to see Liberty Prime make his hilarious tour of the Commonwealth while shouting about democracy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

You have a weird definition of died

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

enraged_camel posted:

yes, kind of, but... It's a huge world. You have a system for building towns and connecting them. There's a crafting system that makes shopping trips worthwhile. And instead of making new characters to try out different stuff, you can keep levelling until you get to the stats and perks you want to try out.

Replayability is mainly about trying out the different factions.

If you're on the fence for some reason, wait a little while for the price to come down.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Game has about as much replay value as any Bethesda title, really. Although this is discounting the weirdos who roleplay and pretend that using an iron sword over an elven sword makes for a fundamentally different experience.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

dj_clawson posted:

The Brotherhood of Steel one is worth doing just to see Liberty Prime make his hilarious tour of the Commonwealth while shouting about democracy.

It's a shameless ripoff of the end of FO3... but it's still worth playing just for the sheer :hellyeah: of it all.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Its dead mostly because they either have other things to play/do or because this game is mostly done without finding a really good mod or an expansion finally hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

The problem is that all builds just raise your DPS in different ways and - this is the critical part - don't really change the way you play or how it feels. Step one, take a weapon perk (but not more than one). Step two, find the best weapon you can in that category. Step 3 mod it as much as your perks allow.

Hm well that's not fair I guess. A stealth build probably feels substantially different. But that's about it.

• Locked thread