Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
sometimes android studio fucks up with gnome3's alt-tab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anroid.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

sometimes my terminal takes 5 seconds to 'ls'

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

code:
(setq inhibit-startup-message t)
(menu-bar-mode -1)
(scroll-bar-mode -1)
(tool-bar-mode -1)
(setq tty-menu-open-use-tmm t)

Thx!!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Symbolic Butt posted:

sometimes android studio fucks up with gnome3's alt-tab

that's the jetbrains one right?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
you should try arch smythe, then you'll be a true cli master like me and mr dog

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
i don't think smythe is suicidal or depressed to consider cli yet

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
im a basic bitch, and dont know how to program computers. the last programming i did was easyUO to make a healbot that worked pretty good actually

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

b0red posted:

sometimes my terminal takes 5 seconds to 'ls'

check for busted symlinks in your home dir

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Smythe posted:

im a basic bitch, and dont know how to program computers. the last programming i did was easyUO to make a healbot that worked pretty good actually

this looks neat!

gonna make a corp por bot to stand just inside of despise now

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

MayorOfFrance posted:

check for busted symlinks in your home dir

i think it's because i mount my server's ftp with curlftpfs in my home so it just works like a folder and i can cp/pv poo poo in and out of it. I guess I should just move it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

celeron 300a posted:

this looks neat!

gonna make a corp por bot to stand just inside of despise now

the game api or whatever updated rly slow so i had my headbot pixelscan for where the explosion graphic appeared kuz it was faster than reading the %health variable or whatever. felt b drat clev0r. but nowadays theres custom clients that are much better at cheating

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

bad configuration management is still much better than no configuration management.

ansible is tragically flawed but i'd much rather walk into a shop using ansible than a shop filled with shell scripts and computer touchers

agentless is a really dumb goal
aesthetically appealing but still dumb as gently caress

hey.

nobody asked you to come over :colbert:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

b0red posted:

i think it's because i mount my server's ftp with curlftpfs in my home so it just works like a folder and i can cp/pv poo poo in and out of it. I guess I should just move it

lol not using sshfs or nfs.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

lol not using sshfs or nfs.

was unaware. will probably switch if they're better

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2402

systemd mounts the EFI firmware read-write by default

which means if some shell script fucks up and rm -rf / gets run not only does it gently caress your os install but also your entire computer, like straight up bricks it

quote:

laloch commented 8 days ago
Mounting efivarfs read/write by default can lead to accidental deletion of the EFI variables. It was already reported on Arch Linux forums, that running 'rm -rf' over a directory structure with mounted efivarfs did actually "hard-brick" some MSI notebook.

quote:

poettering commented 4 days ago
Well, there are tools that actually want to write it. We also expose /dev/sda accessible for root, even though it can be used to hose your system.

The ability to hose a system is certainly reason enought to make sure it's well protected and only writable to root. But beyond that: root can do anything really.

quote:

poettering closed this 4 days ago

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

b0red posted:

was unaware. will probably switch if they're better

NFS is better if it's working properly. SSHFS for everything else really.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2402

systemd mounts the EFI firmware read-write by default

which means if some shell script fucks up and rm -rf / gets run not only does it gently caress your os install but also your entire computer, like straight up bricks it

most motherboards have some shitti wyndows software taht lets you overwrite the efi or the bios , so bricking it that way isn't exactly something hard, and you can edit and delete boot entries from powershell, or linux with efbootmgr which probably needs to access it.
Anyway if you brick a computer like this you really deserved it, also refer to the security gently caress up threads that has various videos on how to gently caress it up as a regular use without root by accessing the firmware directly

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

this is whoops the EFI variable space is more than half full now the system won't boot levels of incompetency

PC hardware is such trash

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Efi is such trash.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Celexi posted:

most motherboards have some shitti wyndows software taht lets you overwrite the efi or the bios , so bricking it that way isn't exactly something hard, and you can edit and delete boot entries from powershell, or linux with efbootmgr which probably needs to access it.
Anyway if you brick a computer like this you really deserved it, also refer to the security gently caress up threads that has various videos on how to gently caress it up as a regular use without root by accessing the firmware directly

oh yeah but all of those aren't "some script hosed up and rm -rf / bricked my computer" levels of hosed up

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

pseudorandom name posted:

this is whoops the EFI variable space is more than half full now the system won't boot levels of incompetency

all these efi issues also exist in macs!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
there's also no excuse for it

there are essentially no use cases for writing efi vars while the system is running. these are things that typically change once, when you install the OS.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

oh yeah but all of those aren't "some script hosed up and rm -rf / bricked my computer" levels of hosed up

well if you also get some malware script on windows it will brick it the same way

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Celexi posted:

well if you also get some malware script on windows it will brick it the same way

so it's ok that systemd does something dumb because windows hosed it up the same way?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so it's ok that systemd does something dumb because windows hosed it up the same way?

it isnt okay but the way its being painted as if its a exclusive systemd fuckup

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Celexi posted:

it isnt okay but the way its being painted as if its a exclusive systemd fuckup

because it is a systemd fuckup

if you don't install systemd you won't have this problem

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you will still have the same problem because the firmware has holes everywhere usually.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Celexi posted:

windows won't get malware that fucks it up because bitlocker type poo poo pays better and you have to try to gently caress up efi

having it mounted rw by default, even root-only, is way way way worse

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
sounds like a job for selinux

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
hosing your OS is a lot better than hosing the hardware for your system

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

systemd owns

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mishaq posted:

systemd owns

Agreed. Any piece of software that is so hated by nerds that the writer gets death threats is A-OK in my book.

Also lol if you have a script that could gently caress up and rm -rf /. You have to be a blithering loving idiot to allow that to happen.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
or just run steam lol

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
the bugged steam that rm rf was the home directory unless for some hosed up reason you were running it as root, but either way it was well deserved for using a distro without selinux

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if you have a canned selinux policy for steam i would greatly appreciate it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
systemd is extremely ftw but i'm not going to blindly assume that everything poettering does is great

i'm rather worried about poettering's obsession with btrfs for instance, because i feel like i'm going to get my arm twisted into using btrfs before long and it's a lovely filesystem for any sort of nontrivial application.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I used reiserfs back in the day. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

ratbert90 posted:

I used reiserfs back in the day. :smith: