Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So because the modern FNM I attended had a big standard crowd and the tables weren't numbered, I was a 2 rounds in before I realized that 3 out of the 8 people that was needed to fire the event were falsely entered into WER and the standings was a big pile of poo poo and gently caress up as a result.

I had a talk with the owner and he just didn't seem to get why I would have preferred to know he was about to gently caress with WER before we started the event. He was shocked that indeed yes, I would have preferred to get my whole 5 bucks back then to play FNM with all the hosed up standings having false players makes. He stated he does this all the time and that if I was a regular I would know this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

So because the modern FNM I attended had a big standard crowd and the tables weren't numbered, I was a 2 rounds in before I realized that 3 out of the 8 people that was needed to fire the event were falsely entered into WER and the standings was a big pile of poo poo and gently caress up as a result.

I had a talk with the owner and he just didn't seem to get why I would have preferred to know he was about to gently caress with WER before we started the event. He was shocked that indeed yes, I would have preferred to get my whole 5 bucks back then to play FNM with all the hosed up standings having false players makes. He stated he does this all the time and that if I was a regular I would know this.

He only had five players, but entered three phonies in just still his event would fire, essentially having three byes? He could get in serious trouble for that if you reported him.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

He only had five players, but entered three phonies in just still his event would fire, essentially having three byes? He could get in serious trouble for that if you reported him.

Already on it and holy poo poo I am getting a fast response. My fb is lighting up and the regional rc is messaging me.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

Considering that Modern Eldrazi can pop it out on turn 2 very often, yeah, I think it's going to hold.

If it wins a tournament any time soon it's going up. So yeah, I'd get them now and not later if you were interested

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug

FractalSandwich posted:

I just did my first draft in MTGO and I have no idea how to find out if my cards were worth any tickets, or how to work the trade system if they are. Can anyone give me the rundown, or point me to a guide?

Go to your collection, select all the cards you want to sell or get a quote on, right click and Add to Active Trade Binder.

Then go to Trading, find a bot that's buying (many people use the GoatBots chain), and open a Trade. Most buy bots will auto scan your trade binder for things they want and give you a quote in tickets. If you want to sell, find tickets in the bot's inventory, take them, and follow the bot's prompts.

If you want to look up mtgo prices outside of mtgo, use mtggoldfish or mtgowikiprice.

And check out https://www.cardhoarder.com/mtgo-beginner-guide too, it should answer a lot of your questions.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sickening posted:

Already on it and holy poo poo I am getting a fast response. My fb is lighting up and the regional rc is messaging me.

Seriously, i had no idea how much poo poo you can get in for this. The store owner just sent me a fb message practically begging me to recant my statement. I just assumed email to wotc would be waste of time and only would have mattered if they were reported multiple times. I kind of feel bad now.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Sickening posted:

Seriously, i had no idea how much poo poo you can get in for this. The store owner just sent me a fb message practically begging me to recant my statement. I just assumed email to wotc would be waste of time and only would have mattered if they were reported multiple times. I kind of feel bad now.

I have a little sympathy for a store owner with regulars and low turn out. But the solution to his problem here is to not do poo poo you know will get you un-friended by WotC.

Do I have to keep to the brewhaus, or can I post the ridiculously fun allies deck I made today and confused people with at FNM?

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Sickening posted:

He knew what he was doing.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I can't tell from Sickening's account which one it is, but my feeling is generally that if he was doing it to inflate the points of his friends/customers, then gently caress him; but if he was just trying to run a tournament for people who wanted to play and there was literally no other way to do it, then that's something WOTC should fix. This of course still doesn't make it a good idea to bullshit the system but I'm a little bit more sympathetic in the latter case.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
You can run a tournament using WER with less than 8 people, you just can't sanction it, which means it will show as a casual event and everyone gets 1 Planeswalker Point for participation and no one gets any points for wins. My LGSs do it all the time.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

JerryLee posted:

I can't tell from Sickening's account which one it is, but my feeling is generally that if he was doing it to inflate the points of his friends/customers, then gently caress him; but if he was just trying to run a tournament for people who wanted to play and there was literally no other way to do it, then that's something WOTC should fix. This of course still doesn't make it a good idea to bullshit the system but I'm a little bit more sympathetic in the latter case.

The system already has that, it's called casual events. Stores who are dishonest don't use them because it doesn't help their wpn status.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
All events run through Wizards Event Reporter have an 'event multiplier' which determintes how many planeswalker points you get per win.

The default, for normal tournaments and FNM events is x 1, which means for your 3 points that you get for a win, you get 3 planeswalker points.

Special events can have higher multipliers. E.g. PPTQs have an x 4 multiplier, which means for each win you get 12 planeswalker points. I think GPTs have x 3.

If you use Wizards Event Reporter to run an event with <8 people it's a "casual" event and the Event Multiplier is x 0, so everyone gets 1 participation point but no one earns any planeswalker points for wins.

The only reason to spoof extra players to make it a sanctioned event is so that people get more planeswalker points, and to make it look to wizards like your store is busier than it is.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sickening posted:

The system already has that, it's called casual events. Stores who are dishonest don't use them because it doesn't help their wpn status.

Bingo. He's doing this to try to keep up or raise his wpn status to get more goodies.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

rabidsquid posted:

My favorite way to kill Liliana ever was when my opponent gleefully played out his top decked land and ticked her up to ultimate range / to get rid of my last card in hand. Which was a Cryptic Command. Which I used to make him discard Lili to herself :unsmigghh:

I play legends miracles and bouncing Liliana to itself is actually a very common line of play. I once managed to get a jund player to discard a goyf and a grim lavamancer to his own Liliana before killing it thanks to Karakas.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

I'm a little sympathetic. I've been to stores where they got seven players, so an employee had to enter and drop in the first round, giving their opponent the win. It's a gray area, but it lets people play. No one runs fake tournaments anymore since the old DCI ratings were done away with.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Well he also said there was a big crowd for Standard. Doesn't sound like a low player count is a problem, it was just low for Modern while Standard was running

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm a little sympathetic. I've been to stores where they got seven players, so an employee had to enter and drop in the first round, giving their opponent the win. It's a gray area, but it lets people play. No one runs fake tournaments anymore since the old DCI ratings were done away with.

If you want to do that you talk to your players first. It seems like common sense.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Terrible Horse posted:

is Thought Knot modern playable? It's currently 14 tix, wondering if it will hold that

Based on how much I got my poo poo pressed in by them today, they are modern playable.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

If you want to do that you talk to your players first. It seems like common sense.

Oh, yeah. I can see a TO doing this and not thinking about anything other than, "Well these five guys will just leave the store and not spend any money if I don't force a tournament to start." At my LGS, if we get five or six people sign up and no tournament starts, there's a good chance they'll all leave out of frustration. Our WPN status is too important to risk pulling any bullshit though.

It sounded like he was blaming you for not knowing he does this often, which is lovely. I hope Wizards scares him into doing things the right way.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Thanks for the explanations, I wasn't sure about some of that. It does sound like he was doing it primarily for the store's benefit rather than that of the customers, so it's all on him for sure.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Plus cards like knotseer are just going to go up in value once they get played more in modern.

Food for thought. Almost no rares in print maintain prices over $20 while their set is being drafted, and most end up around $5. Fetchlands, that everyone horded as much as possible dropped to the $7-10 range while Khans was being drafted. If polluted delta went down to $10 (albeit not for very long) it isn't likely thought-knot seer will go up in the next 60-90 days. It is trending down despite demand for it now. TCG mid is 12.5 down from 15, with copies available for 11.50 shipped. I suspect that they'll be available for under $10 in the near future. The set has only been out for one week, and Oath is 2x of in draft. Unless you need them right now, be patient and keep an eye on the big events.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 30, 2016

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Saved from the scourge of 9 illegitimate pwps. 99 more weeks of that and you could skeeze two byes for a while gp season!

Honestly why wouldn't the guy just enter is at casual.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Saved from the scourge of 9 illegitimate pwps. 99 more weeks of that and you could skeeze two byes for a while gp season!

becuse stores have to maintain a certain number of events being fire to keep or get higher levels with the WPN. Basically Wizards ties product distribution to how many events you schedule actually run, and how many people play at your store, and how many new players you get signed up for the DCI. These levels and numbers impact how much product you can buy direct from WOTC, how much pre-release product you get, how many FTV's you get, how much of limited stuff like Modern Masters you get. The impetus to run sanctioned events is very high for stores. Sickening while you did the right thing, one thing WOTC can't do is prevent the store from banning you from the premises. It kind of stinks the store owner knows you reported him, he's probably going to get an official warning from WOTC and take it out on you.

If you are curious you can see each store level, what benefits they get, and what they have to do to attain/maintain each level. http://wpn.wizards.com/en/join-wpn

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Maybe I have just seen this happen too frequently so I am more likely to see it elsewhere but it's almost definitely in an attempt to raise his wpn level than it is to help out four players and a stranger get extra pwps

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

jassi007 posted:

becuse stores have to maintain a certain number of events being fire to keep or get higher levels with the WPN. Basically Wizards ties product distribution to how many events you schedule actually run, and how many people play at your store, and how many new players you get signed up for the DCI. These levels and numbers impact how much product you can buy direct from WOTC, how much pre-release product you get, how many FTV's you get, how much of limited stuff like Modern Masters you get. The impetus to run sanctioned events is very high for stores. Sickening while you did the right thing, one thing WOTC can't do is prevent the store from banning you from the premises. It kind of stinks the store owner knows you reported him, he's probably going to get an official warning from WOTC and take it out on you.

If you are curious you can see each store level, what benefits they get, and what they have to do to attain/maintain each level. http://wpn.wizards.com/en/join-wpn

He could ban me and i would laugh. 0% worried about it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

tgijsola posted:

Go to your collection, select all the cards you want to sell or get a quote on, right click and Add to Active Trade Binder.

Then go to Trading, find a bot that's buying (many people use the GoatBots chain), and open a Trade. Most buy bots will auto scan your trade binder for things they want and give you a quote in tickets. If you want to sell, find tickets in the bot's inventory, take them, and follow the bot's prompts.

If you want to look up mtgo prices outside of mtgo, use mtggoldfish or mtgowikiprice.

And check out https://www.cardhoarder.com/mtgo-beginner-guide too, it should answer a lot of your questions.
Sweet, thanks.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

Oh, yeah. I can see a TO doing this and not thinking about anything other than, "Well these five guys will just leave the store and not spend any money if I don't force a tournament to start." At my LGS, if we get five or six people sign up and no tournament starts, there's a good chance they'll all leave out of frustration. Our WPN status is too important to risk pulling any bullshit though.
We usually play conspiracy when that happens and it's awesome. That set is still in print right?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

keeblerdrow posted:

I have a little sympathy for a store owner with regulars and low turn out. But the solution to his problem here is to not do poo poo you know will get you un-friended by WotC.

Do I have to keep to the brewhaus, or can I post the ridiculously fun allies deck I made today and confused people with at FNM?

:justpost:

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Everything about your store's relationship with WotC is tied to your WPN status, which you build up by having more/bigger events. One of the stores in the small town I used to live in gave away a booster box effectively, doing a free draft for anyone who signed up and showed up to put him over to the next level.

Everything from # of promos (for all events), # of pre-release kits, amount of limited release stuff, and even general release stuff when there are supply issues is driven by your WPN status. This is why WotC gives a poo poo, not because of PWPs. This guy totally knows what he was doing and that's why he's begging Sickening to recant rather than going to WotC and saying "I didn't know the difference" because he totally did and they will call him on his bullshit.

I have zero love for scummy stores like this because the kinds of people who will cheat the WotC WPN are the same kinds of people who will sell their FNM promos/BaB promos online instead of giving them out.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Been a while since I've done a competitive rel sealed, do you still have to deck swap? Got a PPTQ in the morning and did not remember if they changed that for BFZ.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Bugsy posted:

Been a while since I've done a competitive rel sealed, do you still have to deck swap? Got a PPTQ in the morning and did not remember if they changed that for BFZ.

No, as of October. You now get paired off and verify each other's pools, before getting your own pool back.

source

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I... I think black was open.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Sigma-X posted:

:justpost:

Everything about your store's relationship with WotC is tied to your WPN status, which you build up by having more/bigger events. One of the stores in the small town I used to live in gave away a booster box effectively, doing a free draft for anyone who signed up and showed up to put him over to the next level.

Everything from # of promos (for all events), # of pre-release kits, amount of limited release stuff, and even general release stuff when there are supply issues is driven by your WPN status. This is why WotC gives a poo poo, not because of PWPs. This guy totally knows what he was doing and that's why he's begging Sickening to recant rather than going to WotC and saying "I didn't know the difference" because he totally did and they will call him on his bullshit.

I have zero love for scummy stores like this because the kinds of people who will cheat the WotC WPN are the same kinds of people who will sell their FNM promos/BaB promos online instead of giving them out.

Yeah, the first store I went to FNM for did not follow the rules for giving out FNM promos and would only give one out between the top three people, and you'd have to roll a die to see who gets it. Then of course they would sell the rest.

Thankfully we got a few people to report him and they got their poo poo taken away, they were massive scumbags.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I am making a BFZ block deck for Kozilek, and I am wondering if it should be CUW or CUB. Are reflector mage, and eldrazi displacer worth giving up all of the UB eldrazi? Matter reshaper makes me want to say yes, but it feels odd to have the color be not a splash, and only 2 (7) cards...

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Make it CUB, because you'll bearly be able to contain your puns.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
How do we like the idea of Reality Smasher in disruptive BR so they can try to target it, only to be forced to discard in response by Kolaghan Command or possibly Mardu Charm?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

How do we like the idea of Reality Smasher in disruptive BR so they can try to target it, only to be forced to discard in response by Kolaghan Command or possibly Mardu Charm?

Haha if you really wanna be a bitch (and who doesn't) you can make them target it, wait for the discard, then play Kolghan's command with Discard a Card and deal 2 targeting Smasher to make them discard 3 cards total

I mean this is worse then just waiting for smasher to die then returning it to hand with the Command but sometimes you just wanna gently caress with your opponent

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oh wait nevermind i just realized a fatal flaw in my plan

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
drat....i just want to do suboptimal plays for little to no value to make an opponent mad, how long must i toil

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mandatory lesbian posted:

drat....i just want to do suboptimal plays for little to no value to make an opponent mad, how long must i toil

Isn't this what Legacy MUD is for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Green ranger on screen.

• Locked thread