Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I don't take torches at all but I buy all the food that's offered and I use almost all of it. It's never a bad idea to top off anybody who seems a little under the weather and if you have enough food on hand you know you'll have enough left for feasts when resting and enough left over to not starve from random hunger prompts.

Regarding shovels, they can pry open certain curios in places other than the Cove (not chests, but other containers) and I think they can break open display cases (you get less loot than with a key, but you get guaranteed loot). If you find yourself overspending on them then they do have other uses and can save you a key in those instances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Just fought the Prophet for the first time. Beat him, but not without losing a level 2 Occultist I'd grown fond of. :negative: He was about to graduate to level 3 too.

The Prophet's probably the first boss to give me much trouble. Everyone else survived, albeit by the skin of their teeth; dude dropped the ceiling on my Occultist, leaving him on death's door, blighted my whole party on the next turn (except for the Hellion in front), stunned my Occultist so he couldn't heal himself or anyone else, then dropped the ceiling on my two remaining party members bringing both of them to death's door. I killed him on the turn after that, but if I hadn't he probably would've wiped my party.

For future reference, is there some trick to this guy besides killing him ASAP? I already know if you bust up the pews you get some goodies, but aside from a single attack just to get a feel for how much damage they'd take I left them alone.

Nakar posted:

Good quirks.

Snow Job posted:

More good quirks.
Thanks and thanks.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The ending is... expected for the genre but I was kind of annoyed by it.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Why the gently caress are new camping skills not auto enabled if I'm below the max? Fingers crossed for no ambush, I guess.

e: yeah just forgot to buy any provisions.

Wellp.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jan 30, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bad Seafood posted:

For future reference, is there some trick to this guy besides killing him ASAP? I already know if you bust up the pews you get some goodies, but aside from a single attack just to get a feel for how much damage they'd take I left them alone.

man at arms is really good against this guy, despite having no way to attack rank 4.

stacking Prot through use of trinkets (e.g. Heavy Boots) and Defender basically trivialises the ceiling drops. you know at the start of the round where the drops will be, so have your guy defend the person in that rank. if two people get picked and the man at arms is one of them, welp. get ceilinged that round.

then, take people who can gently caress up the back row; Hellion in rank 1 with Iron Swan + the Battle Trance camp buff, Graverobber, Vestal when she's not healing your man at arms, Highwayman with gun buffs, Arbalest, Dogman, etc

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

In general what's the standard loadout for, say, a medium exploration? I'm not bringing in that much of a net profit and I think it's because I'm just provisioning way too much.

I'm normally taking two stacks of food, two shovels, two stacks of torches, 3-4 bandages and 3-4 antitoxins. Am I buying too much food or something?

For medium I take enough food for a camp feast and three hunger checks, ie 20. You can get away with less most of the time, especially if you can avoid backtracking. This will leave you with some spare for healing if you need it. For Weald and Warrens bring a couple of herbs and dump 4-8 food as they have fairly common curios that turn herbs into loads of food. Conversely, I'll take a little extra if I don't have a main healer, although I almost always run with one. I'll also consider more on boss runs to be extra safe. 3-4 bandages and antitoxins is a bit much too. Except for Cove runs when I'll bring a few bandages I only take them if the dungeon I'm running has curios that they cleanse, in which case I usually go with 2 for medium. DoT effects for the most part aren't too bad unless you get a bunch stacked on one hero and can be managed with healing. Maybe bring a couple of there's a particular DoT you're worried about in the dungeon you're running or if you're short on healing. Torches I go 12-13. Three shovels for medium though, four for Cove or Weald.

tldr:
Medium base loadout: 20 Food, 12 Torches, 3 Shovels, 2 Keys, 2 Herbs.
Add poo poo for curios/cove bleeds:
Ruins: +2 Holy Water, +1 Key
Warrens: +1 Herbs, +2 Holy Water, +1 Bandage, -4-8 Food
Weald: +1 Herbs, +1 Shovel, +1 Holy Water, +2 Antivenom, +2 Bandages, -4-8 Food
Cove*: +1-2 Shovels, +1 Herbs, +2-3 Bandages

*I don't bother with Antivenom for Brackish Tidepool in Cove because I'd rather have the 75% chance of a 33%(?) resist all buff until camp than a lovely little ~5 point heal/stress heal. Diseases are cheap to remove if you get the 25% and don't resist it.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 30, 2016

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
for prophet I take leper

hew the pew for prophet profit

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Tiler Kiwi posted:

hew the pew for prophet profit

:golfclap:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I just killed my first boss!

Louvet is a champ though, he got sent on this mission after a two week bender and shrugged off four or five potential deathblows chipping the Hag down to zero while everyone else got cooked to Death's Door and then Tenderized to death. That was a wild ride.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

im in a weird situation where i'm trying to get together a team with a healer for the Drowned Crew mid-tier fight, so i'm wanting some level 5-6 guys to die to free up space but am also doing everything in my power in missions to prevent them from dying

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
So send them into the Darkest. If they win, great, if they lose, also great.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

How would you guys feel about removing the whole heroes can't go into under-leveled dungeons thing, but replacing it with either the A. the hero gets no resolve exp, B. you have to pay an upfront gold penatly, or C. both

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

At the very least C, and the penalty in riches better be huge. An high level hero can turn those dungeons into cakewalks and that is against the spirit of the game.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I just wish you could downlevel a healer or something. Those guys always sneakily level to Vet or whatever when I'm not paying attention and I'm stuck with pure dps teams for a boss fight or whatever.

Luckily pure dps pre level 3 is very doable with a reasonable party comp. Favorite is taking a MAA and stacking dodge onto 2 PD and a GR in the cove. :D

In other news gently caress that cannon fight. Boring as hell and if you gently caress up once (my fault, but I didn't expect both my hound + BH to whiff) you have to retreat.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

How would you guys feel about removing the whole heroes can't go into under-leveled dungeons thing, but replacing it with either the A. the hero gets no resolve exp, B. you have to pay an upfront gold penatly, or C. both

If it was no resolve exp and it downgraded their weapons/skills/armour (either permanently or temporarily) to level 2/4/5 I'd love it. Preferably a temp downgrade, but whatever. No penalty if your heroes don't have the upgrades to chump the mission, aside from no exp, and either they're no more effective than a top-end hero that could normally do that mission or they're no more effective and you take a gold hit for it.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
No XP sounds fine to me. Running high level dudes in a low level dungeon is only worth it for the upgrade tokens, because you're just wasting XP that's desperately needed to make your crew less brittle and in the case of new game+, loosing precious time to win.

Might suck out some of the tedium of the midgame grind too, since it means you can just slam the low level dungeons for tokens. Then get murdered in higher level ones when bad habits set in... :unsmigghh:

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
Man, was I wrong to underestimate the Grave Robber, it is quickly becoming my favourite class. Having the ability to operate from any position with little penalty is the ultimate gently caress you to any surprise shuffles, and all the skills are viable.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Hello. Please make sure you have more than one character that can hit the front position for the Swine Prince / King fight, defeat at the hand of Wilbur was the worst. Luckily running still gave me the "you won the quest" because the swine king was dead. Lost 2 guys to Wilbur, not the Boss itself.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
wilbur is the worst and i hate him

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Internet Kraken posted:

Hi I'm a giant are you trying to do this level 5 dungeon? Well here have a 60 damage crit on the first turn of the first fight lol :suicide:

One weird trick to beating the Darkest Dungeon that cysts don't want you to know. Templars hate it!

The mission is actually relatively short if you know where to go and don't get screwed by teleports, which you can do by not letting white cells ever live. Build a mark team that can gently caress up the cysts with camp buffs, go straight to the room marked on this map.

EDIT: A ghoul just threw 3 skulls at my plague doc. The last one crit, and she was put in death's door at 100 stress. She was at full HP and 0 stress before the fight :regd09:

Is it always in the same spot? Because if so, I'm telling my remaining, insane survivors :getin:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Panfilo posted:

Is it always in the same spot? Because if so, I'm telling my remaining, insane survivors :getin:

All the Darkest Dungeon maps are the same every time.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So, let's talk about Trinkets. I just lost a 25% stress reduction one sadly to Wilbur, but generally I'm wondering which ones are the best for each class? For example, the grave robber one that boosts a lot of useful stuff at the cost of more food is basically a no brainer. Then again I saw a shield that boosts a lot of Man at arms stuff but requires that he stays at position 4 which seems a bit counter productive.

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Hello. Please make sure you have more than one character that can hit the front position for the Swine Prince / King fight, defeat at the hand of Wilbur was the worst. Luckily running still gave me the "you won the quest" because the swine king was dead. Lost 2 guys to Wilbur, not the Boss itself.

Stacking a -damage debuff on the swine royalty is very good and makes the wilbur cleanup easier

Gitro
May 29, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

So, let's talk about Trinkets. I just lost a 25% stress reduction one sadly to Wilbur, but generally I'm wondering which ones are the best for each class? For example, the grave robber one that boosts a lot of useful stuff at the cost of more food is basically a no brainer. Then again I saw a shield that boosts a lot of Man at arms stuff but requires that he stays at position 4 which seems a bit counter productive.

I assumed the point of that one is to allow you to sit in the back and use the guard skill to tank forever with the +heal. Can you use retribution from back there?

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013

Gitro posted:

I assumed the point of that one is to allow you to sit in the back and use the guard skill to tank forever with the +heal. Can you use retribution from back there?

retribution is row 1-3 sadly, maybe as the only non shuffler in a shuffle party? His team buffs are quite good too and I think they are also usable in row 1-4

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
ran with that trinket once; just had the MaA sit in the back yelling at everyone to dodge. killed the collector with that group, but it took f o r e v e r despite death being nearly impossible between dodges and souped up vestal heals

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

ran with that trinket once; just had the MaA sit in the back yelling at everyone to dodge. killed the collector with that group, but it took f o r e v e r despite death being nearly impossible between dodges and souped up vestal heals

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU

Gitro
May 29, 2013

GlennFinito posted:

retribution is row 1-3 sadly, maybe as the only non shuffler in a shuffle party? His team buffs are quite good too and I think they are also usable in row 1-4

I think his de/buffs all are, but if you're taking advantage of the heal you could only have 2 shuffle heroes, right? I like my parties fairly fixed, so it's not something I have a lot of experience with. A vestal or Occultist would have to be in position 3 to heal, and your only other option for target heals would be PD, arbalest or crusader?

I don't know, it sounds like a fun gimmick to run but it seems like a huge tradeoff in firepower and utility. I like dealing with my problems by outright killing them though so :shrug:

I think of this literally every time I use bolster.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
it's easy to underestimate the value of those buff skills, but get three dodge buffs stacked and yeah.

jesters buff is alight too. the speed boost helps, and accuracy sure as gently caress doesn't hurt against champion level bad guys.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

im in a weird situation where i'm trying to get together a team with a healer for the Drowned Crew mid-tier fight, so i'm wanting some level 5-6 guys to die to free up space but am also doing everything in my power in missions to prevent them from dying
I was in that situation because I had around 20 people of level 4+ after Early Access, mostly belonging to the classes that were available at launch.
I just edited the game files to allow me to keep 100 adventurers around and make upgrading/healing almost free. I think it makes the game much more enjoyable in general; I don't know how I'd deal with all the grinding - probably would just get really pissed off at some random Weald Giant or quad Spearfish fight while grinding for money to upgrade gear and uninstall.

FrickenMoron posted:

Wilbur is the real boss of the Warrens.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Thyrork posted:

No XP sounds fine to me. Running high level dudes in a low level dungeon is only worth it for the upgrade tokens, because you're just wasting XP that's desperately needed to make your crew less brittle and in the case of new game+, loosing precious time to win.

Might suck out some of the tedium of the midgame grind too, since it means you can just slam the low level dungeons for tokens. Then get murdered in higher level ones when bad habits set in... :unsmigghh:

A big part of the midgame grind is leveling up your roster so you have enough dudes to take on the DD, though. Running 0 xp missions would ultimately increase the amount of grinding you have to do.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bursting down the Wizened Hag in two rounds felt pretty good. Nobody even got into the pot--my Highwayman dodged it twice in a row.

Now to get my face smashed in by Veteran quests.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Radiochromatic posted:

The team I swear up and down for when it comes to the Hag is two Hellions, a Highwayman, and any other healer. Probably best for an Occultist, what with the improved dodge and rank three Sac Stab, but either or, really. Both Hellions get their buffs to double wide enemies, Highwayman gets bonuses to ranged strikes, and you pray she targets your healer. Iron Swan, If It Bleeds, Pistol Shot/Open Vein (to tack on extra bleed just before it clears or just to capitalize on it if it accrues high enough) will easily drop her to half health no matter what level. You can burst her down in two to three rounds, no problem. Maybe five rounds if she picks up a Hellion, or you get really bad rolls. But then, all you need is for her to survive the post-pot attack, give her a big heal, and continue the beat down. If you're real unlucky, you'll lose someone, but only that one. Her pot can only do roughly nine percent maximum HP damage per character action, so you have roughly two full rounds and one action before they automatically get dumped at Death's Door. That's more than enough time to put a huge dent in the Hag's health, if not outright kill her.
In fact, since the Abomination dropped, you could pop him in to replace the rank two Hellion, transform, and then pound the Hag with Psych Up boosted Rage.
The Hellions are still my all-around favorite class, they are beasts. I should have just taken two of them and some good ranged, but I'm doing this thing in my DARKEST DUNGEON save where I'm forcing myself to mix up the party compositions, it tends to keep it interesting. I'm trying to find groups with skills that compliment each other really well, Occultist and Arbalest seem to work together nicely, at least when one or the other isn't dumped into a boiling pot.

My other favorite combo I never gave much attention to is Grave Robber with Plague Doctor. The Grave Robber's blight skill is nice and softens the target up for the Plague Doctor to start dumping her huge DoTs onto high prot enemies. By the end of most rounds, I have blight hitting for 15-16 damage per tick, which really helps with the high prot jerks that start popping up in the Medium dungeons.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Harrow posted:

Bursting down the Wizened Hag in two rounds felt pretty good. Nobody even got into the pot--my Highwayman dodged it twice in a row.

You can dodge the loving pot!? :psyduck:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Night10194 posted:

Same with my Bounty Hunter. You can dodge Into The Pot. She'll attempt to do it again next round.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Gitro posted:

Why the gently caress are new camping skills not auto enabled if I'm below the max? Fingers crossed for no ambush, I guess.

e: yeah just forgot to buy any provisions.

Wellp.
I do dumb poo poo like this all the time. My favorite so far is forgetting to activate any skills on my Vestal (don't ask why I deactivated them in the first place). Also bringing no torches or shovels. It's at the point where I'm tempted to make a checklist before I do any runs.

Camp skills should really be enabled by default. I've played since the first Early Access build, so I was aware you can actually have 4 camp skills, but it took me a while to figure that out and they do not get activated for you. e: should clarify, you do start off with three random ones that are activated, but when you learn a new one, that fourth one is not activated. It's happened way too many times where I've trained a really useful new camp skill but left to find it wasn't available because it was still inactive.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 30, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, I was as surprised as anyone when he dodged it once. Outright cheered when he dodged it a second time.

I had to fight the Collector on the way to the Wizened Hag, too. The group really earned their victory on that one. The Hellion came away with Fated, too, so I'm going to call that a good run.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Harrow posted:

110 hours on 3 estates and I had no idea you could dodge the pot

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I wish I could figure out a strategy for this stupid boss that didn't take forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I know right. Are there like -Prot debuffs you can stack on the cannon somehow?