Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Slimnoid posted:

Finished up the Wights.

Those Wights have the Blues! :downsrim:

And also they are nicely painted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Wrapped up three Meganobz, plus their grot buddies. I simplified the scheme a little bit because of how many plates of armor there were, and I think it was the right decision. I also liked getting the ammo cherub from the Devastator kit and making him an ammo runt with the help of a Grot head.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

ijyt posted:

Are you just using a sheet or a lightbox? You want the bounced light from the ceiling of the box to be the overhead light.

I'm using one of those folding light boxes you can get on Amazon, with a white sheet inside (since the one the box came with kinda sucked). I've got the two lights (using daylight bulbs) pointing from the left and right sides, angled slightly downwards due to the way the lights are hooked up.

Taking photos is not one of my strong suits.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Slimnoid posted:

Taking photos is not one of my strong suits.

I'm about to make you feel a lot better about yourself! :v:

These are posted in the order in which I painted them.

I'm happy with little details on each of them - you can't see it, but the face visor parts actually do have a little glow gradient in them. But I'm still only just getting to a place where I'm happy with the things as a whole.

What new things do I need to try, and what of what I'm already doing do I need the most work on?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Holy poo poo SRM that ammo grotrub. That should be a real thing you can buy from GW.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Not really a painting question but, is there a storage system out there that has fully modular foam, bags that fit the foam, and cardboard boxes for non-transport storage that is not Battlefoam yet

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

signalnoise posted:

Not really a painting question but, is there a storage system out there that has fully modular foam, bags that fit the foam, and cardboard boxes for non-transport storage that is not Battlefoam yet

Feldherr or KR Multicase. Pick whichever has foam configurations you like more.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Avenging Dentist posted:

Feldherr or KR Multicase. Pick whichever has foam configurations you like more.

So no, I guess

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

signalnoise posted:

So no, I guess

I'm... not sure what you're asking? What's bad about Feldherr or KR Multicase?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

signalnoise posted:

So no, I guess

KR does all the things you listed. Unless I don't know what you mean by modular.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

KR's pick and pluck is weird. I checked feldherr again and they have regular pick and pluck but they want 50 loving dollars per box for the foam and it has no edging.

I should specify I guess that I'm looking to store larger models like bigass dwarven tanks and poo poo

I like GamePlus and Blu's offerings but they don't have a cardboard box option. poo poo is driving me nuts

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

signalnoise posted:

KR's pick and pluck is weird. I checked feldherr again and they have regular pick and pluck but they want 50 loving dollars per box for the foam and it has no edging.

I should specify I guess that I'm looking to store larger models like bigass dwarven tanks and poo poo

I like GamePlus and Blu's offerings but they don't have a cardboard box option. poo poo is driving me nuts

So don't buy the pick and pluck? They have standard foam with slots including tank and dreadnaught trays and also custom foam for various games (though it's mostly 40k centric)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Where are you seeing this? None of the boxes are $50 (the cardboard ones which you seem interested in are $10), and I have no idea what edging is.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

So don't buy the pick and pluck? They have standard foam with slots including tank and dreadnaught trays and also custom foam for various games (though it's mostly 40k centric)

Believe me, I am like mister KR multicase. I just know what I want and it's not that. Thank you for preachin though, they do deserve it

Avenging Dentist posted:

Where are you seeing this? None of the boxes are $50 (the cardboard ones which you seem interested in are $10), and I have no idea what edging is.

https://www.feldherr.net/1000-mm-x-500-mm-x-100-mm-raster-15-mm-pick-and-pluck-pre-cubed-foam-tray/a-53570/

I could've picked my phrasing better I suppose.

Edging is having a solid wall on the outside

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Do you really need foam that's a meter long by half a meter wide? How big is the crap you're storing? Nearly all of the normal-sized foam inserts are cheaper and have edging. That foam is designed mainly for stuff like huge board game boxes, which is why it has no edging: it's to let you easily reduce the overall size so it fits in the box.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Avenging Dentist posted:

Do you really need foam that's a meter long by half a meter wide? How big is the crap you're storing? Nearly all of the normal-sized foam inserts are cheaper and have edging. That foam is designed mainly for stuff like huge board game boxes, which is why it has no edging: it's to let you easily reduce the overall size so it fits in the box.

Aha, I'm dumb

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

Slimnoid posted:

Finished up the Wights.

these cats have the best shields

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

What new things do I need to try, and what of what I'm already doing do I need the most work on?
- basing :v:
- more pronounced highlights on the blue, maybe something like on the wights above?
- grab some glaze medium (I like Vallejo's), it's amazing for smoothing highlights and OSL.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I painted up Mutoid Mek! He counts as a Big Mek with 'eavy armor, cybork body, KFF, kombiflamer, and power klaw if I feel like it.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Slimnoid posted:

Finished up the Wights.

Additionally, I did some Revenant Kings using old Grave Guard models and a Bones model I had kicking around.

I'm reminding myself to get a third light to shine down from above. Two lights really isn't cutting it with this light box.

So Age of Sigmar guys, some skellies from Tomb Kings/Vampire Counts, and one sword looks like a Chaos Marauder. Did I miss anything? :v:

Great figures, I'm thinking of a similar blue colour for my Undead.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Weirdo posted:

So Age of Sigmar guys, some skellies from Tomb Kings/Vampire Counts, and one sword looks like a Chaos Marauder. Did I miss anything? :v:

Great figures, I'm thinking of a similar blue colour for my Undead.

Chaos Warrior sword, actually, though there IS a marauder sword on the rightmost Wight. The skellies are old VC Grave Guard I had kicking around.

As for the blue, it's a pretty simple recipe:

P3 Exile Blue > P3 Cygnar Blue Highlight > VGC Electric Blue (at least, I think it's this color--the name rubbed off ages ago) > GW Asurmen Blue wash > Electric Blue highlight > P3 Arcane Blue highlight > RMS Pure White at select points.

There's probably an easier way to do this but I've grown used to how it works and when working in batches of models, it really doesn't take much time at all to do.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
Orcboys and Shaman finished.
From the Oath thread.

This is the last rank for these guys. Pretty glad they are done finally so I can paint something else.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Those Orcs own. The shield swaps are such a simple thing but they really give them character and variety, and painting them in that red was a great idea.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Finished up some 30k World Eaters. Making things a light grey rather than real white actually makes me think I could paint a whole army of this.

]

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
You missed the eye lenses! Other than that they look ready for the tabletop.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Love the blood-spatter.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Pierzak posted:

- basing :v:
- more pronounced highlights on the blue, maybe something like on the wights above?
- grab some glaze medium (I like Vallejo's), it's amazing for smoothing highlights and OSL.

My dark secret is that I am intensely anxious about spending time and effort to make nice bases, then putting them down on a table that doesn't match. Are there some minimalist-but-still-nicer bases out there?

Most of them do actually have a glaze highlight, but I'm not pushing it enough - it's like one shade up. How much is too much, and if I gently caress it up, can I paint over it and restart without having to strip the entire mini?

Somewhat related, is my glaze medium hosed, or does it take intensely long periods of time to dry versus the regular acrylic paint?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

grassy gnoll posted:

My dark secret is that I am intensely anxious about spending time and effort to make nice bases, then putting them down on a table that doesn't match. Are there some minimalist-but-still-nicer bases out there?

Most of them do actually have a glaze highlight, but I'm not pushing it enough - it's like one shade up. How much is too much, and if I gently caress it up, can I paint over it and restart without having to strip the entire mini?

Somewhat related, is my glaze medium hosed, or does it take intensely long periods of time to dry versus the regular acrylic paint?

Lots of people worry about the bases matching the table, but in reality as long as they look good together they won't look out of place on a table. At a certain point it's a shame to spend hours making a mini look good and then putting it on a chintzy base you spend 2 minutes on.

You can't really effectively strip part of a mini, but don't let that stop you from pushing your highlights - you really won't ruin it, anything you screw up is fixable with some paint, and you can always paint a new mini. You won't know until you try.

IS your glaze medium Vallejo? If so, yes, it takes a long time to dry if you use a lot of it, and it also dries very shiny. I switched to GW's Lahmian Medium for glazes because it has neither of these issues.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
If you're worried about bases not matching the table you could always go for clear ones.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Six bloodtrackers down. I need to reattach arms to three, and then paint the leader.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

Lots of people worry about the bases matching the table, but in reality as long as they look good together they won't look out of place on a table. At a certain point it's a shame to spend hours making a mini look good and then putting it on a chintzy base you spend 2 minutes on.

You can't really effectively strip part of a mini, but don't let that stop you from pushing your highlights - you really won't ruin it, anything you screw up is fixable with some paint, and you can always paint a new mini. You won't know until you try.

IS your glaze medium Vallejo? If so, yes, it takes a long time to dry if you use a lot of it, and it also dries very shiny. I switched to GW's Lahmian Medium for glazes because it has neither of these issues.

Yeah, I was mostly worried about screwing up, like, the top of a mini's head and then having to strip and redo the whole thing.

I am using Vallejo, usually about 1:1 or 1:2 medium to paint, which is probably not helping the slow drying. Can I replicate the effect with matte medium, or does that keep things too thick?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

grassy gnoll posted:

Yeah, I was mostly worried about screwing up, like, the top of a mini's head and then having to strip and redo the whole thing.

I am using Vallejo, usually about 1:1 or 1:2 medium to paint, which is probably not helping the slow drying. Can I replicate the effect with matte medium, or does that keep things too thick?

You can use matte medium plus water. The medium will make the paint translucent, and if its too thick to use at that point you can water it down the rest of the way.

For that matter you can probably use just water. Some paints break down and separate when you add a bunch of water, others don't.

Getting over the fear of screwing up what you've already done is hard. You have to cultivate a very specific mix of caring about your work and not caring if you screw it up.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Another supplies question:

I'm looking at this thing http://www.hobbyzone.pl/en/tables-for-painting/14-paint-station.html

I really want it but I don't want it enough to drop 30 bucks on shipping. Anyone know a US-based alternative that is actually good

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

signalnoise posted:

I'm looking at this thing http://www.hobbyzone.pl/en/tables-for-painting/14-paint-station.html

I really want it but I don't want it enough to drop 30 bucks on shipping. Anyone know a US-based alternative that is actually good

Get that thing, it's great. When I looked around for stuff like this, I found that HobbyZone's prices are cheap enough that it's hard to find a significantly better deal even with shipping factored in. Also note that you can get even cheaper if you email them, because they can remove the cost of VAT: http://www.hobbyzone.pl/vatfree/

e: Oh, and I got the one that's one size up, partly because I'd heard that it was really easy to snap one of the curved pieces on the smallest table. But if you're careful, it probably won't be an issue.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 31, 2016

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

signalnoise posted:

Another supplies question:

Thanks for linking that, it looks like it might solve my problem of quickly having to clear my desk before my 3 year old trashes everything. Much better than throwing everything into a box and quickly hiding it.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

richyp posted:

Thanks for linking that, it looks like it might solve my problem of quickly having to clear my desk before my 3 year old trashes everything. Much better than throwing everything into a box and quickly hiding it.

The Modular Workshop System is also awesome. You get little 12" x 6" x 6" modules of various configurations that stick together with magnets. You can either set em up in a dedicated hobby area, or do like I do and stuff em in the closet. If I need a module, I can just pull it out and take it to my desk.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I may end up getting some of that to qualify for VAT-free purchasing, but it will involve a wifely convo.........

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Avenging Dentist posted:

The Modular Workshop System is also awesome. You get little 12" x 6" x 6" modules of various configurations that stick together with magnets. You can either set em up in a dedicated hobby area, or do like I do and stuff em in the closet. If I need a module, I can just pull it out and take it to my desk.

Too late I already ordered the "Professional" painting station, it's just the right width to quickly slide it into the desk cabinet before the destroyer of toys arrives. The mixture of shelf sizes is a nice feature too, so I can stick whichever Vallejo and GW paint's I'm using on model away with everything rather than having to sort through the pile of paints each time.

Should arrive in a couple of days too, which gives me time to finish the new Tomb Raider game before working on some more of the Calth and Infinity stuff I've been piling up.

EDIT: Having a rofessional painting table mean's I can stick "Pro-Painted" on future ebay stuff now right?

richyp fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 31, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Finally got this dude on a plinth, only a year after I painted him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Avenging Dentist posted:

It is a major problem trying to figure out which of the things in my collection of materials deserve a permanent spot on my desk