Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Smoking Crow posted:

I want to make threads

Ok, fine. A very small minority of users want this feature. The only way it'll get implemented is if one or more of those in that group takes it upon themselves. It's not a bug, so it's not worth the developers' time to add something that very few people request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Party Boat posted:

It's on every page I've tried it on, it's not a big deal but I just wanted to see if there was an easy fix I'd somehow missed. Twitter app is up to date on my phone if that makes a difference.

Wanted to add that it still happens using the beta, that every time it "jumps" due to the tweet appearing page position is reset to the top and that allowing Knuc U Kinte to make threads via the app is unlikely to provide a fix. Thanks.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Party Boat posted:

Is repeatedly switching back and forth between the embedded tweet and the twitter link the "graphical glitch" referred to in the settings? Is there anything I can do to fix it? Galaxy S4 running rooted 4.4.2

Just want to say this happens to me, too. Beta linked in the thread, G3 Vigor, 5.2

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

If developers are trying to gauge user interest in the feature: I'd love to be able to start threads from within the app. Some subforum are less megathread-centric than others, and I would love to be able to fully participate in them.

I don't have even the beginnings of the knowledge or skill to add features myself, but as I said, I want to mention it here as feedback for the developers.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I feel the same way, but get told to get out whenever it's brought up, so YMMV.

Still love the app otherwise.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The problem is that for some reason like 90 percent of the people who bring it up act like they're entitled and that the very idea of an app without posting is ludicrous.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Thermopyle posted:

The problem is that for some reason like 90 percent of the people who bring it up act like they're entitled and that the very idea of an app without posting is ludicrous.

I mentioned it in this thread before I think, but I have more data now with Azure App Insights to back it up: There are a small number of people who post using my app, but the people who do post tend to post a lot

So I think that's where it comes up. A very vocal minority. But for an Android app (which will have much more users than Windows) it is bigger. I'm not against looking at it myself (provided I re-setup my android environment) but I don't think it's that hard for anyone else to add personally. It's just getting a UI for selecting a post icon (which there already is for PMs) and editing how the thread form is posted to the forums.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I actively don't want people to make threads with this app and will hack github to remove it if added.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Thermopyle posted:

you gotta admit its a little silly that an app you can post with can't make the main post. i mean its free with all work volunteered so i cant really demand anything, but it is odd.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Dieting Hippo posted:

threads aren't displaying when i view them in awful app. i'll select a thread and the blue loading bar at the top runs its course, but no posts are displayed.

I think its somewhat of a connection issue, because I get this a lot on my Wi-Fi only tablet. If I turn off my Wi-Fi the thread will (a decent chunk of the time) immediately render when the app realizes there's no more data coming down the pipe.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Dieting Hippo posted:

you gotta admit its a little silly that an app you can post with can't make the main post. i mean its free with all work volunteered so i cant really demand anything, but it is odd.

No, I don't, because I don't think it's odd. Posting in a thread is both conceptually and technically different from creating a thread.

I mean, I get there's some percentage of people who do think it's odd, but the reason they get such pushback is because some portion of them act like it's obvious that it should be in and that everyone should think it's odd.

Would it be better if those who act entitled didn't make it harder for the more reasonable people? Sure. Is it surprising? No.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Ticket opened:
Please add the ability to post new threads to awful.apk
Hardcode thread tag to BAN ME.
Thanks and god bless.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If it showed up, I'd be pleasantly surprised. It's not required, but I do think the pushback is a little strong.

As an aside, with the latest install, it's difficult to see embedded YouTube videos. I mean, they're there, but the preview image doesn't have any UI on it indicating that it's a video, so I think it's just an image most of the time.

Before the update, there was a big play button watermark on the preview thumbnail.

Maybe it's my phone itself?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
This app is good, thank you.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hat Thoughts posted:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

MisterBibs posted:

I think its somewhat of a connection issue, because I get this a lot on my Wi-Fi only tablet. If I turn off my Wi-Fi the thread will (a decent chunk of the time) immediately render when the app realizes there's no more data coming down the pipe.

i'll give this a go if it happens again, the spot i was in at the time has spotty wifi and can switch from wifi to 4g fairly often.

Thermopyle posted:

No, I don't, because I don't think it's odd. Posting in a thread is both conceptually and technically different from creating a thread.

I mean, I get there's some percentage of people who do think it's odd, but the reason they get such pushback is because some portion of them act like it's obvious that it should be in and that everyone should think it's odd.

Would it be better if those who act entitled didn't make it harder for the more reasonable people? Sure. Is it surprising? No.

check out my new e-mail app, you can view and reply to e-mails with it.

what, you want to create an e-mail? uh just use a PC browser for that, duh.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Geirskogul posted:

If it showed up, I'd be pleasantly surprised. It's not required, but I do think the pushback is a little strong.

It's just a feature nobody really cares about adding, and being responsible for testing and maintaining. It's something that could cost thousands of :10bux: in bans if something ever goes wrong. "I want it" ain't a convincing argument for other people to spend their free time on this, and 'pushback', seriously? Cmon

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dieting Hippo posted:

Check out the difference in the transactions required to append to a vbulletin thread compared to those needed to create a new one. Then add jank from all the hacks done to it to get the forums we have today.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Dieting Hippo posted:

That's not equivalent to the situation under discussion.

Regardless, it's not going to help this thread to belabor the point.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

It seems like one of those areas in which the technical realities are strongly at odds with what makes sense intuitively.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I definitely thought it was a bizarre exclusion when I first started using the app, but after extensive use, I feel like typing any sort of long post, or anything with any sort of formatting or bbcode use, is already difficult enough. I can't imagine trying to post a meaningful OP with the app. Then again, I only really post in Games, where the OP of any given thread is generally huge and full of information, so I guess in places like BYOB or even GBS this might not be that much of an issue.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I agree, I spend most of my time in megathreads so I'm never dealing with making new threads. Since something awful is against having threads about interesting things in the news, the only worthwhile threads are ones about big topics like a certain game or TV show or activity.

I guess for someone who spends time in fyad or one of the fyad clones like gbs need the ability to make new threads quickly so they can make a thread with "I farted lol goatse.jpg" and move on to the next thing.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Hat Thoughts posted:

Occasionally I think it would be cool to be able to post a thread with the app but if I really cared that much if write that feature in myself.

I don't care that much.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Seems like search was removed in the latest update?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

apokaladle posted:

Seems like search was removed in the latest update?

Yeah, I forgot to merge it into the build. It'll be back with the next version in a couple of days.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I agree, I spend most of my time in megathreads so I'm never dealing with making new threads. Since something awful is against having threads about interesting things in the news, the only worthwhile threads are ones about big topics like a certain game or TV show or activity.

I guess for someone who spends time in fyad or one of the fyad clones like gbs need the ability to make new threads quickly so they can make a thread with "I farted lol goatse.jpg" and move on to the next thing.

Basically this except without being a weird dick about other forums when you admit to only posting in megathreads and Games.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I mean noone is going to try and type out long form posts in a freaking app, but there are forums where the op is basically "I'm playing this videogame, discuss" which is like to be able to make whilst riding the train. Just because you don't post there doesn't mean there aren't people who do. Great app by the way.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Squizzle posted:

It seems like one of those areas in which the technical realities are strongly at odds with what makes sense intuitively.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Is anyone else getting this text bug?

I've been trying to find a pattern for when it happens, but it keeps popping up seemingly at random.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Thingyman posted:

I've been trying to find a pattern for when it happens, but it keeps popping up seemingly at random.

Not since a page ago.

e: Whoops, hit submit too soon. It's seen in non-Awful apps, but no specific cause is known.

ryanbruce fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 4, 2016

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Thingyman posted:

Sometimes yes, no idea what causes it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It looks like an issue with Android's internal rendering engine - basically it renders text as individual glyph textures on quads, and that looks like the texturing loving up for some reason. Probably the cache being cleared when the app's in the background and the device is low on memory, or something!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I haven't run into that, but I was wondering why the various icons for the forums don't show up - I have that problem as well.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

baka kaba posted:

It looks like an issue with Android's internal rendering engine - basically it renders text as individual glyph textures on quads, and that looks like the texturing loving up for some reason. Probably the cache being cleared when the app's in the background and the device is low on memory, or something!

Yeah maybe, I only ever get it with this app though!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Twitter issue update: I slapped Cyanogenmod 13 (Marshmallow) on my phone and embedding of all types now works fine.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Party Boat posted:

Twitter issue update: I slapped Cyanogenmod 13 (Marshmallow) on my phone and embedding of all types now works fine.

Good to hear

Meanwhile:
3.2.2.0 going out to the Play Store

- added Search for plat users ( beta! - I mean OLD!)
- Load forums via SSL
- Webm/Gifv Videos out of view are paused, option to not autostart embedded videos in post settings. They'll stay unloaded and won't display a thumbnail cause Google hates you.
- Made unloaded GIFs prettier for some hosts
- Fixed FYAD GIF avatars
- fixed and improved marking users (including fixing a crash when importing settings with marked users)
- fixed forum tags
- more thread tags

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Montalvo posted:

I haven't run into that, but I was wondering why the various icons for the forums don't show up - I have that problem as well.

Forums update changed something about them that the app chokes on.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Updated the app and now I seem to be getting incorrect unread post counts from my bookmarks? Or at least it says 10 for example so I go to the thread and there's only one or none.

Haven't restarted phone but did kick app out of memory and restart it.

e: Happening on my desktop too, so maybe a forums issue not the app?

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 8, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For some reason I can't see the last post from VodeAndreas, either on my computer or my phone. My ignore list is empty, what else might it be?

And of course after I posted it's fine. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's usually a bug when the forums are acting up. With the changes last night I wouldn't be surprised and I am noticing it to. It's not just the app.