Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
So 9.1.1 is out. Podcasts app!

That is all, carry on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wonder what's taking Amazon so long, I mean they already have an iOS Prime Streaming app in place.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

qirex posted:

I wonder what's taking Amazon so long, I mean they already have an iOS Prime Streaming app in place.

They're not doing anything with the Apple TV because of Apple wanting a cut of prime subscriptions through the interface as well as the competition from fire tv. Also you cannot buy an Apple TV on Amazon.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

housefly posted:

They're not doing anything with the Apple TV because of Apple wanting a cut of prime subscriptions through the interface as well as the competition from fire tv. Also you cannot buy an Apple TV on Amazon.

They have an existing iphone/ipad app with the same limitations on purchasing new content and no sign of getting rid of it plus they've publicly said they're going to release an Apple TV version.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

qirex posted:

They have an existing iphone/ipad app with the same limitations on purchasing new content and no sign of getting rid of it plus they've publicly said they're going to release an Apple TV version.

Interesting. Last I read about it, which I believe was sometime in November, they weren't going to support it. Maybe things changed?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Any ideas why Netflix would be showing me poo poo that isn't available in my region?

iTunes region is set to Canada, my account is Canadian, I've got a Canadian IP.

"Sorry, the content you've requested is not available in your region (CA)" :confused:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Any ideas why Netflix would be showing me poo poo that isn't available in my region?

iTunes region is set to Canada, my account is Canadian, I've got a Canadian IP.

"Sorry, the content you've requested is not available in your region (CA)" :confused:

I had issues with the WWE Network doing the reverse of this (saying stuff isn't available in my region). I fixed it by logging out and back in.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

housefly posted:

Interesting. Last I read about it, which I believe was sometime in November, they weren't going to support it. Maybe things changed?

The only thing I remember them saying was that they were removing the Apple TV from their website since they had no interest in selling a Fire competitor.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Just use some google man.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/11/28/amazon-video-apple-tv/

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

New Apple TV is now on the refurb store:

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/appletv

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vince MechMahon posted:

I had issues with the WWE Network doing the reverse of this (saying stuff isn't available in my region). I fixed it by logging out and back in.

Out of curiosity, do you know which stuff is region locked? I always thought it was the same service worldwide.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Customer service representative? As in, a person working in a call center who isn't actually an Amazon employee and only has an FAQ pamphlet to work off of?

These people don't know anything and frequently just google people's questions and then read back rumors from tech forums pretending they have insider information.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Good call. I remember reading about this a while ago and whatever article I read, it surely didn't mention that it was just customer service/support. So I guess really we have no idea if that information is true or not. Amazon sure hasn't come out to confirm or deny it either so that just leaves us right back to square one which is airplaying it from your iphone/ipad/macbook.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I don't know why I worded that post so aggressively i must be in a mood lol

But yeah, we're stuck with airplay for the foreseeable future.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

EL BROMANCE posted:

Out of curiosity, do you know which stuff is region locked? I always thought it was the same service worldwide.

As far as I was aware it was completely free of any restrictions to.

On a related note the WWE Network works so much better on my apple TV than what it did on PS3, I'd often have quality drops or frozen images even with a wired connection but the ATV streams everything flawlessly even streaming the Royal Rumble without a single drop in quality, its during PPV's that I often see an increase in problems.
The only thing I really miss are the markers for specific matches in a show that the PS3 had.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I really dig those video wallpapers they do. Does everyone get the same ones each month, or does it just grab a random selection from the pool?

Also, do app updates happen automatically? I've seen no way of doing it by hand, or seeing change logs etc but do spot the little blue dots to indicate newness so something must be going on.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

It was when I was trying to watch the Royal Rumble. It sent me here:

http://help.wwe.com/app/answers/kbdetails/a_id/503

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I've been trying in vain to find a video that demonstrates the "now playing" screen in home sharing for the new ATV. From what I can tell in screenshots, the album art and track info are in the center of the screen now. Does it do anything similar to the little y-axis flip that the old ATV did every few seconds? Or some pretty zoom/pan type of stuff with the album art like Google music on a chromecast? I'm hoping the art and track info don't just stay put in the center the entire time, since my plasma TV wouldn't like that.

I know there's a screen saver but I prefer the "soft" screen savers I described that allow the music info to stay on screen.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 26, 2016

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Nah, it just stays there as a static image. After a while the screensaver starts.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Creature posted:

Nah, it just stays there as a static image. After a while the screensaver starts.

Behh, lame. Are alternative music apps a thing on TVOS like they are on iOS yet?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Not awful pricing, but if the Apple TV goes on sale somewhere for $99 that's instantly better.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

God drat Apple really needs to open voice search api for youtube, and Google really needs to implement it.

For a search company, searching on the Youtube app is really bad. There's no learning involved at all. I'll give one example. I like to watch The Young Turks every few days, but I don't want to subscribe to their channel because they post a ton of videos and I don't want to clutter up my subscription feed.

Every few days I search for "The Young Turks" and you'd think that maybe after the 900th time they'd have the app learn that when I start typing "y - o - u - n - g - t - u --" I want Young Turks which I've clicked on approximately 100% of the time, and not Young Jeezy or YOung Thug or whatever happens to match first.

That's a pretty specific niche case I guess, which I could solve by just subscribing to the drat channel, but I feel like this shouldn't be as annoying as it is.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Yeah, you'd think Google would at least remember frequent searches.

To me, though, the YouTube app is pretty much always just a receiver. I control it from my phone.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My YouTube experience became so much better when I logged in to the same account on every device, subscribed to channels, and used Watch Later (more) properly.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

My YouTube experience became so much better when I logged in to the same account on every device, subscribed to channels, and used Watch Later (more) properly.

Yeah, I've recently started doing this, along with using playlists, and it's gotten much better.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My trick is to start watching a vid on my phone, the pull it up later on the Apple TV in my YouTube watch history. Like Watch Later but easier.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I don't bother doing any of that and just AirPlay all my YouTube vids (also it's my gf's ATV).

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I don't bother doing any of that and just AirPlay all my YouTube vids (also it's my gf's ATV).

Yeah, if you just set your phone to airplay (not screen mirroring) it will automatically put up any video you start playing on your phone, and it's ridiculously convenient.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
While waiting for youtube to get it's act together, you could use something like Swiftkey. It will learn your frequently typed words, so after "young", it would probably suggest "Turk"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Turambar posted:

While waiting for youtube to get it's act together, you could use something like Swiftkey. It will learn your frequently typed words, so after "young", it would probably suggest "Turk"

How to Easily Find YouTube Vids:

1. Get Swiftkey.....

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Swiftkey is kind of a piece of poo poo, though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Also, you know, AppleTV..

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

In the YouTube app, when it is showing an ad, is there any way to make the ad banner go away? Sometimes it is a movie trailer that I would actually want to see but not with a bar over it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Martytoof posted:

Also, you know, AppleTV..

I believe he was implying using swiftkey on your phone in concert with the Remote app to control the AppleTV.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

GutBomb posted:

I believe he was implying using swiftkey on your phone in concert with the Remote app to control the AppleTV.

Oh, that's true. I'm not terribly worried about typing on my iphone since I can't get the remote app to work in the first place, but even if I could I'm Ok with the default keyboard. Thanks for the suggestion in any event though.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The new NHL app sucks. I try to watch a game by logging in and it never redirects me back to the game after logging in, then i hit menu to go back and the game is still locked and asks me to log in. Then I uninstall the app, reinstall it, log in at the buy nhl screen and the games no longer have the lock icon but when I go to play one it says I'm logged in at another location and won't let me pick a game. I check my computer, I go to the site and log off. Doesn't work.

Annoyed.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

New app is terrible just because I have to click on "scores" to watch games. The entire point of the app is to watch hockey, why would you put that behind an extra menu click?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I couldn't get it working. Logged in on the xbone and it works fine there. I guess I'll use that until the bugs are worked out.

Edit: weird, the forums word-filter x bone as one word to xbox one.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

Martytoof posted:

New app is terrible just because I have to click on "scores" to watch games. The entire point of the app is to watch hockey, why would you put that behind an extra menu click?

That's irritating but not horrible. Same as it was on the old app, but it seems to load faster and hang less so there's that. Maybe there will be a graphical redesign for next season.

But is anybody else having problems with the feeds jumping back to the beginning? Both the RDS and SNE feeds for the Habs game did this after a few minutes. Stream is fine on the iPad app (PiP is awesome!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

GutBomb posted:

Edit: weird, the forums word-filter x bone as one word to xbox one.

Proper respect for branding is taken very seriously here on Something Awful.