Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

funeral fag posted:

Can't wait for the vice article about Phil Anselmo's mondo problematic antics, personally

I'm actually pretty okay with people being upset about a prominent metal singer being a white supremacist, but maybe I'm just a ~PC SJW wuss~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I only got into metal around 2008/9 and that was because of SlipKnot, really. I used to watch a lot of monster truck crash compilations on Youtube, and one of them used "Duality" as a background song. It was the heaviest thing I'd ever heard and I wanted more. I dug through my dad's old CDs and found Rob Zombie, Guns and Roses, and Metallica that way. Then my parents got me Guitar Hero sometime in 2010 and I found out about Motorhead, Ozzy Osbourne, Slayer, and Dream Theater. Later I learned about a few more bands via Youtube (notably Iron Maiden and Judas Priest), but what really did it for me was the book Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal by Ian Christe. That led me down the rabbit hole and I discovered Exodus, Testament, Saxon, Bathory, Death, Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, and so many more. Nowadays I discover new bands from this thread or from browsing randomly through Youtube, which as of late led me to listen to Pestilence and Aratic these past few days.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

fatherdog posted:

I'm actually pretty okay with people being upset about a prominent metal singer being a white supremacist, but maybe I'm just a ~PC SJW wuss~

is he prominent still?

And this isn't exactly breaking news, Phil has been a racist shithead forever and ever. This time someone just caught it on camera.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

MrBling posted:

is he prominent still?

And this isn't exactly breaking news, Phil has been a racist shithead forever and ever. This time someone just caught it on camera.

Not even the first time he does it on camera.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
First metal (well, lets go with not-punk) album I got was Coal Chamber's Chamber Music. Not auspicious at all, but finally saw them live last year. Dez has certainly still got it and I haven't seen as consistent a churning moshpit since the first Download festival.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Aside from randomly hearing Enter Sandman on the radio and poo poo, my first metal song was a single Megadeth song (Break Point, I think) on the soundtrack to the loving Super Mario Bros. movie, which was also my first CD. Though after that I only sporadically listened to metal until I picked up Powerslave by Iron Maiden and then had to get more and more.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Oh boy "how I got into metal" stories? Pre-high school, my parents were super into the evangelical christian thing, and I never liked it. I heard about Cannibal Corpse and the like because of all the stuff on the news about them and was drawn to it. The neighbor across the street (who I wasn't allowed to hang out with because he was a bad influence) would set his boom box facing outside his window and blast Green Jelly and Gwar, I thought it was so awesome. I would record Metallica songs on cassette tapes when they would come on the radio and get metal mix-tapes from that guy.

News clip example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBf5F8mTUxE

It all exploded when I discovered Napster and DC++.

Sick Gorguts shirt in that clip

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I had a neighbor who had some Rob/White Zombie CDs and either Load or Reload, so that was my first exposure to metallish music. Then one day around age 12 I pulled up Master of Puppets on my sister's boyfriend's iPod and the rest happened from there.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

I'm new to metal (only since 2013 or so-), but I discovered industrial through Borders bookstores' "Left of the Dial" CD section -- it's where all the metal, industrial, ebm, non-rock/radio/pop/classical would get shelved; basically college radio stuff. That's where I found KMFDM in the mid 90s, and would spend hours listening to discs in their listening stations -- and saving pocket money to buy albums. I just picked out covers I thought looked cool.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Everything goes back to hearing Black Flag's "Nervous Breakdown" when I was 15 and having everything I understood about music upended by the realization that you could even do something like that.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Bitchkrieg posted:

I'm new to metal (only since 2013 or so-), but I discovered industrial through Borders bookstores' "Left of the Dial" CD section -- it's where all the metal, industrial, ebm, non-rock/radio/pop/classical would get shelved; basically college radio stuff. That's where I found KMFDM in the mid 90s, and would spend hours listening to discs in their listening stations -- and saving pocket money to buy albums. I just picked out covers I thought looked cool.

Pope Guilty posted:

Everything goes back to hearing Black Flag's "Nervous Breakdown" when I was 15 and having everything I understood about music upended by the realization that you could even do something like that.

Oh man I was into KMFDM/MDFMK, ATR, and all that Black Flag punk poo poo too. I just wanted to consume it all. And there was always more. Used record stores were the best and in high school I'd spend an entire paycheck (from my part time grocery bagging job) on cd's that had cool artwork. Found a lot of random good stuff that way.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Henchman of Santa posted:

Sometimes I feel like the only dude that still bumps Anthrax. I will stan for Among the Living forever. I got to mosh to Caught in a Mosh at Riot Fest and it felt like a life accomplishment.

I literally posted that entire album a few days ago. It kills.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Since there's no real story to how I got into metal (natural progression from KISS - King Diamond - Emperor across the decades) I'll take the opportunity to back up the earlier poster who said Misfits blew his loving mind from the first listen. Even the metal I was into in high school in the late 80s was the pretty well produced stuff: Death, Obituary, all the bigger thrash bands, etc, and my experience with punk was limited to Ramones, Sex Pistols, Dead Milkmen, etc; so when I first heard the Misfits Collection tape (being played while I sat in the back of a car belonging to two skatepunk brothers) I felt like I was hearing, for the first time, punk that singled me out and spoke to me. Most punk felt like background music -- motivational, kinetic, that sort of thing; Misfits, like the other music that appealed to me, whether metal, classical, or whatever, really evoked something in my imagination, created a whole new universe, and that was something I'd never known to exist in punk. It was darker and more menacing even while seeming borderline cartoonish. Pretty much the same thing I felt toward the above mentioned KISS, King Diamond, and (later) Emperor. But really, maybe because of the naturally more immediate nature of punk, it felt even more realistic, like that first time I saw Texas Chainsaw Massacre and got that feeling, am I in safe hands here? Misfits really did that for me. I dubbed a copy of that tape and played it more than any other album I've owned to this day.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I was at a market in Malaysia and saw Rob Zombie's Hellbilly Deluxe and bought it because the cover was cool. loving great album, always is. From there hit up all the usual Slipknot, Korn and so on and just looked online for recommendations. Now I love it all - folk, black, thrash, power cheese, pirate, whatever. Metal is great because it is so loving goofy sometimes and really diverse. There's always something new :)

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

What bands did you guys discover based exclusively on the logo/cover art?

For me it was Iron Maiden.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Non Serviam posted:

In Flames

It's a work of art.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
never ntoiced that was in comic sans before

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Non Serviam posted:

Savatage stands out as a particularly good surprise for me after picking up Hall of the Mountain King in a record store

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Oh yeah, I also first listened to Whiplash after the Power and Pain cover caught my eye on Youtube.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I forgot one very important influence from before high school. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBOD8qeCBuc

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Stars War posted:

Lars is such a poo poo drummer who loving lucked out and won the band lottery. Slow as gently caress... beats the poo poo out of his drums like each hit is a swing of the mallet on a strong man carnival challenge. Plays poo poo that absolutely doesn't fit the cadence of the song -- and not in a good or interesting way. Listen to the end of "Enter Sandman" for a perfect example -- no "touch," just smashing away with bass/crash staccatos that don't match the guitars or bass... just loving random.

On top of it he sure seems like the douchiest dude.

I read Scott Ian's book, and according to him, James and Kirk were planning to kick Lars out, but couldn't go through with it after Cliff was killed.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

It's okay to post prog/power metal in this thread right?

New Myrath!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM1d7C8aOWk

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Durendal posted:

It's okay to post prog/power metal in this thread right?

New Myrath!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM1d7C8aOWk

I've liked these guys for a while. They need to throw in their local folk instrumentation more often IMHO or make it more prominent because it's great when they do. Without it they're pretty generic sounding.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

DeusExMachinima posted:

I've liked these guys for a while. They need to throw in their local folk instrumentation more often IMHO or make it more prominent because it's great when they do. Without it they're pretty generic sounding.

I liked it when they were channeling Symphony X; Desert Call is one of my favorite albums.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Non Serviam posted:

Dead Winter Dead by Savatage. I bought it because I saw an ad for it in the Metal Edge magazine in '95 and I thought the art and concept were cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY4uZI-h3B4

E: It's really loving good

Duke Pukem fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 31, 2016

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Non Serviam posted:

Rage - XIII kinda stood out from the rest of the power metal stuff I was browsing through.

Still a good album, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDwceT_I_eE

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I highly recommend listening to the new Dream Theater album while reading about the songs on the website. I have never laughed this hard at music before.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

I highly recommend listening to the new Dream Theater album while reading about the songs on the website. I have never laughed this hard at music before.

The story is so ridiculous, but the music is so bland. I think I actually preferred having twenty-minute long songs about Tuscany and Portnoy's absurd growl vocals to this.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Popular Human posted:

The story is so ridiculous, but the music is so bland. I think I actually preferred having twenty-minute long songs about Tuscany and Portnoy's absurd growl vocals to this.

So do I. This is metal showtunes. But every once in a while it's just over the top goofy and the writing on the website is the funniest poo poo in the world to me.

"Gabriel knows he has no choice and as he starts to lay his fingers on the guitar, he spots Princess Faythe standing next to the Empress and is absolutely mesmerized.
She is…astonishing."

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

Advance and Vanquish by 3 Inches of Blood, because the cover art + track listing promised hilarity. And did it ever deliver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfMISL3dqGY

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Monkeytime posted:

Advance and Vanquish by 3 Inches of Blood, because the cover art + track listing promised hilarity. And did it ever deliver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfMISL3dqGY

DEADLY SINNAAAAAHHSS!!!

That guys voice is exactly how I would expect a goblin to sound like.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I bought Niles - Catacombs of Nephren Ka off cover alone and wasn't disappointed. Even based old online names for it but couldn't get it here. :(

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dream Theater posted:

Gabriel unleashes a blood curdling scream straight from the darkest depths of the abyss at a level unsustainable to the human ear. Faythe is unaffected due to the protection of her earphones but Daryus is not so lucky. The scream shatters the prince’s eardrums causing irreversible nerve damage and rendering him hearing-less. He is now doomed to live inside of his own soundless prison with the rest of his lifetime left to lament in a barren wasteland of silence over his despicable actions.

When you hear LaBrie try to do this on the album after reading this terrible description it becomes the funniest song in the world

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Non Serviam posted:

in 2003 I was buying a gift for a friend of mine on Amazon and the "People who bought this also bought" thing popped up the cover to "Power of the Dragonflame". I think I said something along the lines of "hahahahahaha holy poo poo" while hammering the "Add To Cart" button

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

When you hear LaBrie try to do this on the album after reading this terrible description it becomes the funniest song in the world

today I learned John Petrucci isn't familiar with the word 'deaf'

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Hearing-less... So, deaf?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

If you have any doubts about the Anselmo thing being blown out of proportion, here's one of the editors of Noisey talking about how she wasn't sure whether to talk about this... it might hurt her career:
https://twitter.com/GrimKim/status/693164754664316928

Keep in mind that this is a freelancer for Rolling Stone, a magazine that has written really serious pieces about important topics (like Michael Hasting's investigation of the military in Aghanistan). But, now... TALKING ABOUT PHIL MIGHT BE CAREER SUICIDE.

gently caress these people, it's ridiculous.

EDIT: Please check the people leaving comments like "OMG YOU'RE SO BRAVE"

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Non Serviam posted:

If you have any doubts about the Anselmo thing being blown out of proportion, here's one of the editors of Noisey talking about how she wasn't sure whether to talk about this... it might hurt her career:
https://twitter.com/GrimKim/status/693164754664316928

Keep in mind that this is a freelancer for Rolling Stone, a magazine that has written really serious pieces about important topics (like Michael Hasting's investigation of the military in Aghanistan). But, now... TALKING ABOUT PHIL MIGHT BE CAREER SUICIDE.

gently caress these people, it's ridiculous.

EDIT: Please check the people leaving comments like "OMG YOU'RE SO BRAVE"

I don't like or care about Phil at all tbh but holy poo poo these people have to be the most narcissistic egotistical weirdos. I can't imagine having to associate with them in real life. How do they even take a morning shower without writing a milestone thought piece about it and gathering community strength before getting in. It's so goofy.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
The White Wine Mafia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don't like or care about Phil at all tbh but holy poo poo these people have to be the most narcissistic egotistical weirdos. I can't imagine having to associate with them in real life. How do they even take a morning shower without writing a milestone thought piece about it and gathering community strength before getting in. It's so goofy.

The only thing missing was "donate to my patreon"