Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Thanqol posted:

I still don't get why my country's opinion of other countries is totally out of my control? And yes, I know that I can set them to liked in the new diplomacy system, but that doesn't help when they have a -180 too much imperial territory modifier.

This is my number one hated feature of EUIV. I hate it so, so, SO much.

The players counties opinion of other countries should always be 100% under the players control. That part of the diplomatic system should simply be switched off for player countries.

Anything else is unintuitive, awkward, stupid BULLSHIT.

:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

With the ability to set your diplomacy as friendly/neutral/hostile/threatened etc. there's no need for the player's opinion. I suspect that removing it would gently caress with multiplayer in some way, though.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm Persia trying to convert to Zoroastrianism, I'm not really sure how to do it though, the religious rebels don't seem to be able to convert provinces so they never advance towards winning (unless it's an event that fires after they've been occupied for awhile?)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Odobenidae posted:

With the ability to set your diplomacy as friendly/neutral/hostile/threatened etc. there's no need for the player's opinion. I suspect that removing it would gently caress with multiplayer in some way, though.

It even worse in multiplayer when you can't use the actual alliance feature because AE or Wrong Religion or wahtever made your opinion too low.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Odobenidae posted:

I'm pretty sure it mattering in multiplayer is exactly why it's still there. One of the devs said something to that effect once.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Odobenidae posted:

We have removed it in the mod we use in the MP thread to absolutely no consequence. It opens up the freedom to decide who you want to cooperate with, regardless of dumb negative opinion modifiers, and encourages players to be more dynamic by working together with longtime enemies, as opposed to Victory Cards, which were made to encourage players to be more dynamic by invading longtime friends for points.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

TITY BOI posted:

Has anyone here done a Rajput Reich run? I've got a few questions if so.

Here's where I'm at:

My plan is basically

1) consolidate india
2) dig a tunnel to freedom through the caspian states then russia, while hoping the ottomans don't rival me
3) vassalize TO/brandenburg and feed them the HRE

Is this a good enough position after 100 years for this to be feasible or am I too far behind?

For what it's worth, that's better than I was doing at that point in the game. My run failed, though (horrible enormous alliance bloc in europe that I didn't have time to crack), so...

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Thanqol posted:

You know what's bullshit? Building up 90 trust with Austria, making your alliance with them the centrepiece of your foreign policy, and then having your alliance broken with them because they took too much unlawful imperial territory.

I still don't get why my country's opinion of other countries is totally out of my control? And yes, I know that I can set them to liked in the new diplomacy system, but that doesn't help when they have a -180 too much imperial territory modifier.

The opinion is from your people/advisors/interested parties, not you, yourself.

That said, there should be some kind of mechanic where you can ally with an unpopular country but then get events that lower prestige and legitimacy, and maybe increases unrest.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Lori posted:

We have removed it in the mod we use in the MP thread to absolutely no consequence. It opens up the freedom to decide who you want to cooperate with, regardless of dumb negative opinion modifiers, and encourages players to be more dynamic by working together with longtime enemies, as opposed to Victory Cards, which were made to encourage players to be more dynamic by invading longtime friends for points.

Related request - please Paradox make the rival change cooldown moddable if possible, we were hoping to make it 0.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Obliterati posted:

Related request - please Paradox make the rival change cooldown moddable if possible, we were hoping to make it 0.
Please also make it so you cannot lose a Rival while at war, OR, change it so you can set a Rival while at war (but cannot set someone you are currently at war with as a Rival). It really sucks that you can lose a Rival while being at war with someone else, and just lose whatever PP, but not set a new one while at war.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Colonial Air Force posted:

That said, there should be some kind of mechanic where you can ally with an unpopular country but then get events that lower prestige and legitimacy, and maybe increases unrest.
The same could go for regency councils. Declaring war would be possible, but you risk various negative events, which could become much more frequent at high war exhaustion. Like, pretender rebels popping up because clearly the realm needs a strong hand now.

e: Though I suppose pretender rebels might be a way to ensure the demise of that stupid 1 years old 1/2/1 heir your regency council is ruling in the name of.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 31, 2016

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

Ottomans won't honor a CTA against Hungary because they're 'friendly' despite having -160 relations and considering their entire country to be of vital interest. Wat

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TITY BOI posted:

So i did this achievement pretty recently, it was a lot of fun. If it's possible to ally Poland, do so. Go over the relations cap if necessary. Basically you want to build up a crusade of varna 2.0 and drive the otto man out of europe at all costs. If you can get them on the backfoot, you basically have an avenue for AE-"free" expansion to the east. Once you have the entirety of the Balkans and Anatolia under your jackboot before 1650 or so then the rest of the achievement is fairly easy.

(Fig 1. It was all a formality after this :smug:)

If this isn't possible, I'd side with Brandenburg over Austria. If you can beat up on Austria together , you can westernize for free by taking Vienna, and get a massive income boost from the goldmine in Tyrol.

Thanks for the advice! I think my long-term plan is to use Austria and Poland to beat the ottomans back to Anatolia and then turn on Austria when the league war starts.

Speaking of the league war...guess who just became emperor? Yep, Albania is now the emperor on the eve of the 30 years war. I'm Catholic obviously and the Protestant league is made up of Bohemia, the ottomans, France, England and a bunch of German minors. France has proceeded to gobble up most of northern Iberia so I need to go to war with them soon, and having all the allies I do now should make it somewhat doable.

So my question is, how do you trigger the league war as emperor? Also will I be able to actually take any territory from France or the ottomans?

I've also got another game going that's trying for first come first serve (own all of the Americas starting as a custom nation in the Americas) and ideas guy (have an income of 500 after starting as an OPM with 3 development) due to the current national ideas bug. It's about 1500 and I've got all techs at 20 due to the bug and have 4 idea slots filled, have conquered all of the Mexican natives, colonized central america and have made my way down into Brazil. I also am Norse as I'm going for For Odin too, but I still think I'm going to run into trouble when the west shows up. Since monarch points aren't a problem for me, what's the best thing to spend them on that isn't tech? I've been recruiting a lot of generals and developing provinces.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Is demand unlawful territory bugged? I can sort of get my own allies getting the -1000 modifier for strength of alliance because AI emperors won't demand territory from you if you are allied, but it also seems to affect allies of allies? Burgundy also has the -1000 alliance strength modifier despite only being allied to Cologne(who I am allied with), meanwhile I'm allied with France and Austria(and 6 other people) and a pretty heavy hitter myself.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

axeil posted:

So my question is, how do you trigger the league war as emperor?

You can't as the catholic league, but deleting your army might make the protestants trigger it :tipshat:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

TITY BOI posted:

Ottomans won't honor a CTA against Hungary because they're 'friendly' despite having -160 relations and considering their entire country to be of vital interest. Wat

E: Woops nm

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

axeil posted:

I've also got another game going that's trying for first come first serve (own all of the Americas starting as a custom nation in the Americas) and ideas guy (have an income of 500 after starting as an OPM with 3 development) due to the current national ideas bug.

Since monarch points aren't a problem for me, what's the best thing to spend them on that isn't tech? I've been recruiting a lot of generals and developing provinces.

What's the bug?

Development. You need to be running as many colonies as you can afford to run, and increasing development increases that number. When I was doing First Come First Serve I had 12 colonies going simultaneously at the peak and that cost a ton.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TTBF posted:

What's the bug?

Development. You need to be running as many colonies as you can afford to run, and increasing development increases that number. When I was doing First Come First Serve I had 12 colonies going simultaneously at the peak and that cost a ton.

If your national idea reduces cost of something (coring, tech, ideas, etc) and you build and cancel troops it'll stack the modifier multiple times. Which is how I'm about 200 years ahead in tech. You can abuse it to make all tech 30 monarch points. Same thing with ideas, coring,development cost, etc

I'd post a screenshot but I'm traveling for work. Rest assured it is hilarious to see all of central america and half of South America the same color in about 1500. I named my country "outer heaven" as a nod to metal gear solid too, as I started in Costa Rica :v:

I think Spain is gonna poo poo it's pants when it sees a massive country in the Americas thats western and makes around 80 gold a month. It's like playing as the aztecs in a converted ck2 save with sunset invasion on

axeil fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 31, 2016

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I'm doing my own For Odin/First Come First Serve/Humble Beginnings run, and I noticed that I sometimes had multiple -10% coring cost modifiers, but they'd mostly disappear once I started on one province. Are you saying there's a way to keep those modifiers?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

dublish posted:

I'm doing my own For Odin/First Come First Serve/Humble Beginnings run, and I noticed that I sometimes had multiple -10% coring cost modifiers, but they'd mostly disappear once I started on one province. Are you saying there's a way to keep those modifiers?

It looks like if you pause, start build/cancel units a bunch of time, it stacks your modifier. But it's not permanent? So you want to spam build/cancel then buy your tech, ideas, cores while paused.

I have a really good Dracula's Revenge run I'm gonna post about in a bit.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

dublish posted:

Do it while paused. You can then buy any tech ideas cores or development as the price is instant. You may need to build/cancel a few dozen times to get enough modifiers.

I assume this is going to be fixed as early as tomorrow so if you want an easier time with some of the custom nation achievements now is your time to shine.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

:eyepop: Wow that's, uh, quite a bug.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
So, if I have 100 trust and 100 favors with Great Britain and I take a province in India (which they've marked the entirety of as 'vital interest'), what happens? Do they immediately hate me and things break down?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Fintilgin posted:

So, if I have 100 trust and 100 favors with Great Britain and I take a province in India (which they've marked the entirety of as 'vital interest'), what happens? Do they immediately hate me and things break down?

In my case they immediately unmark it. If they need to connect territory, they'll mark it and start to hate you.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
At the very least, the AI will never rival you if you have 80+ trust now.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Node posted:

In my case they immediately unmark it. If they need to connect territory, they'll mark it and start to hate you.

Sounds good... I guess I'll give it a shot.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

From the latest patch notes:

quote:

- AI will no longer rival countries with 80+ trust under any circumstances, and less likely to rival countries with high (but still below 80) trust.
- Trust now has a significantly bigger effect on making the AI not desire your provinces.

Generally if an ally takes a Vital Interest province, they just unmark it, because they generally only wanted it because their rival had it. But if they have a mission to take it, I'd say there's good odds they'll drop your alliance and turn hostile.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Yeah with 100 trust, I console gave myself one of Castile's cores and they instantly removed it from their list of desired provinces, kept the alliance, and relations are still above 190. It should be fine.

e: Also can I just point out that the sea regions of North East Pacific and North West Pacific are the wrong way round? :shobon: East (around Kamchatka) is west of West (around California)

Allyn fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 1, 2016

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That'd be the difference between regarding the Pacific as a whole vs considering the hemispheres, right? As it is I think that's correct..sure it's to the west, but so far west that it's now the east :v:

E: unless there are nearby South west/east pacific zones that totally go against this in which case ignore me.

Cyberius
Sep 24, 2007
Totally Fake
Right now there is a hilarious bug involving custom nations and their ideas duplicating whenever you cancel a build order (as well as a few other actions.) The key thing is there is no limit to the number of times the ideas will be duplicated. Cancel 5 infantry? Get 5x most of your ideas. Toggle a fort 20 times? Get 20x your national ideas. Unfortunately, the extra ideas only last until the month ticks over (more or less, upgrading technology or taking a new idea/group will reset the bonuses). Still, it leads to crazy things like 800% Infantry combat ability, cores that complete in -20 months or always rolling 6s on generals.

Not pictured: a fully colonized Navarran Caribbean.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Arrath posted:

That'd be the difference between regarding the Pacific as a whole vs considering the hemispheres, right? As it is I think that's correct..sure it's to the west, but so far west that it's now the east :v:

E: unless there are nearby South west/east pacific zones that totally go against this in which case ignore me.

Oh, that's true, and the south ones are consistent with this. Still looks really weird on the map though!

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
If I contest a personal union and win, that means I get the minor country as my own PU right? Does that give me any AE?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Higsian posted:

If I contest a personal union and win, that means I get the minor country as my own PU right? Does that give me any AE?

You have the option of demanding a PU over the junior partner or having the senior partner release their PU over the junior partner when you sue for peace.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Pretty sure if you're the one disputing it, you get AE and it is massive if the subject is big.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

I'm pretty sure it mattering in multiplayer is exactly why it's still there. One of the devs said something to that effect once.

I think it was Johann and some others having a mega alliance block that pretty much killed one of their MP games.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Whenever the people demand something from my monarch in any other circumstance, from a request for lowered taxes to a desire for religious freedom, I send in my army to slaughter them all without mercy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Cyberius posted:

Right now there is a hilarious bug involving custom nations and their ideas duplicating whenever you cancel a build order (as well as a few other actions.) The key thing is there is no limit to the number of times the ideas will be duplicated. Cancel 5 infantry? Get 5x most of your ideas. Toggle a fort 20 times? Get 20x your national ideas. Unfortunately, the extra ideas only last until the month ticks over (more or less, upgrading technology or taking a new idea/group will reset the bonuses). Still, it leads to crazy things like 800% Infantry combat ability, cores that complete in -20 months or always rolling 6s on generals.

Not pictured: a fully colonized Navarran Caribbean.

It's bananas. I started a Meso-American game to pick up all the custom achievements, and in the first war my target got vassalized and I wound up with 6k against 50k. But I had 12 mil tech. :v:

Now that it's 1490 I have all of Meso-America cored (cores are instant and free), 3.5 idea lines complete, and the coast colonized from Louisiana to Panama. Honestly at this point I don't know if I'm going to bother continuing, I might as well be playing cookie clicker.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
drat, I can't afford that much AE. I'll just let mega Burgundy PU mega Spain then since I don't really need to mess with anything that far west.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Is there any good RNW map tile modding guide outside the standard map modding wiki? Any programs beside GIMP? And how to add specific country seeds to specific map Tiles?

Was thinking of trying my hand at making a new continent tile with some nations to go with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

does anyone else get really bad stutter in eu4? my PC is good enough, got a i7 and 16 gb of ram and yet it really struggles to run smoothly. turning off all the graphic options does nothing as well. is it just poorly optimised and unable to handle multiple cores?

• Locked thread