Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Ok yeah I don't know where I was getting that from. Probably the fact that debate markets close immediately prior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

a cop posted:

Ok yeah I don't know where I was getting that from. Probably the fact that debate markets close immediately prior.

On some other sites, including ones people have used in years past, election markets could close when the polls open. Probably what you're thinking of.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

A Time To Chill posted:

Also I did this last night:

In my defense, I was really high and it's only $5. But still, what is wrong with me? :cripes:

This actually isn't too bad a bet. It's a long shot but Iowa is notorious for weird results.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I'm hoping the prices spike in the run-up to the actual caucusing so I can get some cruz no or hillary no at 25c or so. Otherwise, I might sit this round out for lack of fun choices.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
RUBIO.IACAUCUS16.GOP.2ND trading @ 20¢?

Why would anyone pay 20¢ for a longshot like that? Spread it out among the 1¢ losers if you think Trump and/or Cruz will underperform that severely.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Why would anyone pay 20¢ for a longshot like that? Spread it out among the 1¢ losers if you think Trump and/or Cruz will underperform that severely.

Good tip, thanks.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

Platystemon posted:

he saw a decent gain in yesterday's DMR poll, even if he was 15 points behind Trump. But still, momentum is everything, and with his "win" in last week's debate according to MSM, and all of the Cruz negatives recently, it's not hard to imagine him taking #2. Nate Silver laid out his four likely IA outcomes, and Rubio in #2 was one of them. Also, in the last two days, Cruz has started using his TV spending on anti-Rubio ads (instead of anti-trump, which he was doing before) - so the media read it as "is cruz suddenly afraid of slipping to 3rd place after the debate and DMR poll??"

20c isn't surprising given he's getting santorum surge hype, while all the 1c losers are totally flat in polls

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Apparently Rubio did pretty well in day one of the poll and under-performed after that, so I wouldn't be so sure about momentum.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

thethreeman posted:

he saw a decent gain in yesterday's DMR poll, even if he was 15 points behind Trump. But still, momentum is everything, and with his "win" in last week's debate according to MSM, and all of the Cruz negatives recently, it's not hard to imagine him taking #2. Nate Silver laid out his four likely IA outcomes, and Rubio in #2 was one of them. Also, in the last two days, Cruz has started using his TV spending on anti-Rubio ads (instead of anti-trump, which he was doing before) - so the media read it as "is cruz suddenly afraid of slipping to 3rd place after the debate and DMR poll??"

20c isn't surprising given he's getting santorum surge hype, while all the 1c losers are totally flat in polls

Thanks for the context. I still think it’s a bad bet for the price, but you also won’t see me betting heavily against it.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007
I am just getting into this, and I am thinking about buying the No on Trump sweeping the first four states, then selling it off if he wins Iowa. Is this a viable strategy?

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

furiouskoala posted:

I am just getting into this, and I am thinking about buying the No on Trump sweeping the first four states, then selling it off if he wins Iowa. Is this a viable strategy?
If it's 45 cents today it's going to be 15 cents if he wins Iowa. So I would say no that's not a good plan.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

furiouskoala posted:

If he wins Iowa convincingly the price will plummet almost to zero and you will have a lot of difficulty selling off your shares.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009
Iowa market rules check. The three Iowa markets say:

IACAUCUS16.GOP posted:

The winner of the 2016 Republican Iowa caucuses shall be the candidate identified in the answer, according to the Iowa Republican Party.

IACAUCUS16.GOP.2ND posted:

The candidate winning the 2nd largest number of votes cast in the 2016 Iowa Republican caucuses shall be the candidate identified in the answer, according to the Iowa Republican Party.

IACAUCUS16.DEM posted:

The candidate receiving the greatest share of delegate support in the 2016 precinct-level Democratic Iowa caucuses shall be the candidate identified in the answer, according to Iowa Democratic Party.

Maybe I'm reading into this a bit too much, but previously vague rules have affected the outcomes. For IACAUCUS16.GOP does the Republican Party declare the winner based on votes cast or delegates awarded? Interesting to see they are using the votes cast metric for GOP.2ND, and the DEM market uses delegate support.

EDIT: Looks like in 2012, Rick Santorum was declared the winner based on votes cast, but didn't get any delegates. So the two Republican markets are based on votes cast while the DEM market is by delegate count. Interesting. Anyone disagree?

huge pile of hamburger has issued a correction as of 00:04 on Feb 1, 2016

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
People getting jitters just before caucus day on the TRUMP.IOWA.YES market. What a bunch of pansies.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

furiouskoala posted:

I'm not going to do this to any large degree because it will involve selling too much stuff, but you could do an arbitrage where you bet that Trump will both sweep the first 4 states and also bet that he will come in second. The first is trading 50/50 and you can get the second for 25 cents. If he doesn't win he is all but certain to come in 2nd. (coming in 3rd or worse is the only way this bet fails) If he does win Iowa, the value of the sweep will shoot up to about 95 cents.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Gibberish posted:

People getting jitters just before caucus day on the TRUMP.IOWA.YES market. What a bunch of pansies.

Fine by me, it lets me squeeze in some last minute shares at a cheaper price.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

Platystemon posted:

Thanks for the context. I still think it’s a bad bet for the price, but you also won’t see me betting heavily against it.

yeah I agree. Actually just checked out the RCP graphs to compare, and you can def see some santorum in rubio's line here. But the field is just sooo much more crowded this year

2016:

And 2012:

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

A Time To Chill posted:

Everyone post your Iowa bets! I'll go first so you can laugh at my failure.

glglgl

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Lol I'd cancel those Rubio.yes offers. If Rubio starts to look as though he might have a chance, those orders will never fill. If it starts to look hopeless, they will fill even at 1c.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Too lazy to screenshot but I bought 500 shares of Hillary No in Iowa at 32c a pop for fun. Go Bernie!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I think it's more fun to win bets

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Aliquid posted:

I think it's more fun to win bets

Winning a sub-50% return on a close race is a lot less fun than winning a 200% return, basically.

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Winning a sub-50% return on a close race is a lot less fun than winning a 200% return, basically.

Yeah this. I prefer gambling to investing on PI imho.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

A Time To Chill posted:

Yeah this. I prefer gambling to investing on PI imho.

Have you considered purchasing "Democrats retake Congress"?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Gibberish posted:

To be fair he's just outside the margin of error I'd be jittery too.

Yeah I'd cancel those offers if I were you. They're dangerous to play with if you're new to the site.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

If one were to assume that Cruz will outperform in rural areas and in the western part of the state with more evangelicals and Trump would do better in the cities and further east, what vote would be reported first? I'm guessing the small towns, which would mean that if the first results came in tied, Trump would probably pull it out.

The other factor is the snow. Would it be fair to say that it will be starting later in the evening and would thus be a non-issue for a place used to winter weather?

My Iowa picks. I am going under the reasoning that a Trump #2 is the same thing as a Cruz win.

Zeta Taskforce has issued a correction as of 03:56 on Feb 1, 2016

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Zeta Taskforce posted:

The other factor is the snow. Would it be fair to say that it will be starting later in the evening and would thus be a non-issue for a place used to winter weather?

Yeah it's shaping up to not be a problem.

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

Have you considered purchasing "Democrats retake Congress"?

Link it. If it's undervalued, then maybe. Though tbh the earliest they might possibly pull that off is 2020.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Dropout market is on the fritz tonight. Fiorina at 75, Carson at 69...

Apparently Santorum told the press today he's in until at least SC. I haven't read the article yet though.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Vox Nihili posted:

Until you lose all your money thanks to statistical probability

The constant grinding of sure bets and small return flipping is the way to do it, of course yes it is more fun to throw it on a long shot and multiply your winnings

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Peachstapler posted:

Dropout market is on the fritz tonight. Fiorina at 75, Carson at 69...

Apparently Santorum told the press today he's in until at least SC. I haven't read the article yet though.

that market is real, real dumb

there should be a market for each of them with a set date, will X drop out before Y date?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Until you lose all your money thanks to TRUMP

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

lol

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

Gibberish posted:

wow trumpsweep crashing from mid/upper 50s the last few days to low 40s in the last three hours. Good time to get in or out, given there's been no corresponding collapse in trump's IA shares

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
People hoping for two flukes in two elections probably are betting on the wrong market

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

People buying up Rubio Yes pretty high for Iowa. 10c for first place and 20c for second place right now, both of which seem overweight.

Edit: Rubio 2nd now hitting 23c for yes (bought no @ 77c).

Vox Nihili has issued a correction as of 09:09 on Feb 1, 2016

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

thethreeman posted:

wow trumpsweep crashing from mid/upper 50s the last few days to low 40s in the last three hours. Good time to get in or out, given there's been no corresponding collapse in trump's IA shares

there has been a pretty severe drop in Trump.Iowa shares, it's down to 61 from 72. Still, thanks for the tip, gonna buy some more SWEEP

UrAClassAct
Apr 10, 2012

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
You're about to lose a whole lot of money

I can respect that tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Yeah I'd sell the GOP shares asap while you're still ahead.

• Locked thread