Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

SocketWrench posted:

Kinda wish I wasn't lazy, thought about it sooner, and was willing to part with one, but I thought of sending them one of my extra CDV-715 survey meters (minus batteries, of course) with a note implying the outside world has been hearing rumors of the Feds planning to use radioactive agents just to watch these guys flip some poo poo a bit more. Or tinker with it to see if I can calibrate it to go wild with just a sample and ship it with batteries so it goes nuts

Why do you have a spare survey meter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The other reason you don't shoot people in the leg is it is not a very good way to stop someone. You can get shot in the leg and still return fire pretty effectively. You may very well bleed out due to your severed femoral artery, but that doesn't do me very much good if you spend your last minutes mag dumping me. It is easier to hit someone center mass, yes, but it is also more likely to actually stop them by hitting them in their vitals - heart / lungs / spinal cord. The goal isn't to kill, but there is not a lot of daylight between shooting someone in a place that is likely to stop them, and shooting someone in a place that is likely to kill them.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

ChlamydiaJones posted:

.If you were going to shoot wouldn't you exit the vehicle with weapon drawn.

No, I wouldn't. That's almost guaranteed to get you shot before you get on your feet. What I would do is get out like I was surrendering and try to get a look around to see where the immediate threats were and some cover before drawing and shooting. But that's if I were stupid enough to have a shootout with LEOs

Kilo147 posted:

Why do you have a spare survey meter?

I collect some of that stuff and have a few multiples. Civil defense kits run about the same price as the geigers by themselves so I just buy the kits and get the survey meters, dosimeters and chargers as a sort of bonus

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Fionnoula posted:

New York TImes reporter spoke to David Fry. They are indeed camping outside in order to PROVE that they aren't actually occupying the refuge (because apparently only the buildings matter?) and therefore hey aren't actually hostile. Just camping.

Not after 14 days

ShadowCatboy posted:

but that many guns had been left behind

Retardation at its best. If, IF this is true* that is really stupid to leave firearms behind, likely unsecured and with happy little serial numbers that can be traced.

*I find it hard to believe they'll take off with a few cans of corn and a couple dildos and leave behind their ARs and poo poo.

Hermetic posted:

You can't be any geek off the street. Gotta be handy with the constitution if you know what I mean, earn your tarp. :clint:

Need to modify the ending of Saving Private Ryan so Hanks is laying under a tarp and holding another up to James before saying "Earn it"

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 31, 2016

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

William Bear posted:

The New Yorker had a great article about this, called "Bundynomics".

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/01/25/bundynomics

Would calling these guys anarcho-Georgists work?

It's just another sad example of growing up in a bubble. These guys spent so much of their lives in the desert, they don't realize the world has passed them by.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

SocketWrench posted:

*I find it hard to believe they'll take off with a few cans of corn and a couple dildos and leave behind their ARs and poo poo.

I'd bet that tracing those guns would find a large number of them were privately sold to people who probably shouldn't have had them, and didn't want to risk getting caught with them at check points.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Ha, the "we're just camping, we're outside, see?" thing is just like a little kid sticking their head under a blanket and thinking you can't see them because they can't see you.

Wasn't Fry the guy exhorting true patriots to kill policemen blocking their way to the occupation? Over the web and documented? Or was that Porkins?

*sees recording of own broadcasts played on giant screen in courtroom"

"... But that was just cloud talk!"

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Hermetic posted:

You can't be any geek off the street. Gotta be handy with the constitution if you know what I mean, earn your tarp. :clint:

The took my tarp, the took my convoy, I rushed at the Feds and said shoot me next

Or

If you're free like I'm free, you're shootin Feds like e'ery day. It's the sov-cit era, but Ammon b gettin sent away

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Zwabu posted:

Ha, the "we're just camping, we're outside, see?" thing is just like a little kid sticking their head under a tarp and thinking you can't see them because they can't see you.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

SocketWrench posted:

I think to get out past the checkpoints (once the checkpoints were set up) there was a requirement to be unarmed.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Zwabu posted:

Ha, the "we're just camping, we're outside, see?" thing is just like a little kid sticking their head under a blanket and thinking you can't see them because they can't see you.

Wasn't Fry the guy exhorting true patriots to kill policemen blocking their way to the occupation? Over the web and documented? Or was that Porkins?

*sees recording of own broadcasts played on giant screen in courtroom"

"... But that was just cloud talk!"

It's unconstitutional to charge flesh-and-blood me for crimes committed by youtube me in an admiralty court.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

I'd bet that tracing those guns would find a large number of them were privately sold to people who probably shouldn't have had them, and didn't want to risk getting caught with them at check points.

Or were illegally modified

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Re Lavoys reaching: it looked like he was going for a gun, stopped when told to, then remembered he wanted to go out shooting amd reached again.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
I don't know if its ever been mentioned in the thread, but a large number of pistol shooters practice drawing with their hands up by their head as if surrendering. I think even one of the major pistol shooting competition groups uses this as a starting position.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

This is my guess. By leaving unarmed, they wouldn't look like they had just been engaging in an armed insurrection/occupation of federal property and thus wouldn't be enough of a threat to shoot or arrest as they left.

katlington posted:

Re Lavoys reaching: it looked like he was going for a gun, stopped when told to, then remembered he wanted to go out shooting amd reached again.

I think he may have just been unsure about whether or not he really wanted to go through with it. His interview statements and book suggest that he was a guy who really wanted to go down shooting (or, if he was lucky, have a big action hero moment where he pops a cap in the cops holding him at gunpoint and rescues everyone), but faltered when he was actually under threat of violence.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Branis posted:

I don't know if its ever been mentioned in the thread, but a large number of pistol shooters practice drawing with their hands up by their head as if surrendering. I think even one of the major pistol shooting competition groups uses this as a starting position.

Lmbo at them thinking they will have time to pull a gun if they have their hands up before they get shot by the guy who told them to put their hands up.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

kartikeya posted:

I finally decided to go see if I could find out if the Bundys are fringey members of the LDS Church, or part of one of the Mormon Fundamentalist breakoff groups. This article is pretty good if you want a decent overlook of things, and also seems to indicate that yeah, he's LDS (his reference to his bishop not having said anything against what he was doing, specifically) http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2016/01/04/3735830/bundy-mormonism/

It's worth a read for the curious.

Edit:

Well, yes and no. It's important to remember that Mormonism carries a gospel of continuing revelation, which basically just means 'God still speaks to people and helps those who ask to choose the right thing'. Believing someone was divinely inspired to write/create something doesn't necessarily carry the same weight of 'WORD OF GOD' as it might in other religions. It's difficult to explain when it's just something you've grown up understanding, but take, for instance, Mormon prophets. Mormons believe that God still chooses prophets to lead the faithful, and thus the title of 'Prophet' in the church means exactly that. However, Mormons do not believe that their prophets are infallible, or that everything they do or say is the direct Word of God You'd Better Listen. An LDS Prophet giving a sermon, for instance, is generally taken that way, but his personal politics or something he says to his grandkids on Christmas eve or something is not. Basically, Prophets are considered holy men, but still men, still imperfect, still entirely capable of bungling and making poor decisions. This goes right back to Joseph Smith; I've seen it repeatedly argued that 'hey, Joseph Smith did X thing, clearly this means he was a fraud and you're ignoring it', but Mormons don't believe Joseph Smith was perfect either. Far, far from it. In fact, there's a particular story about Joseph Smith that is very commonly cited as an instance in which he definitely did the wrong thing, and got into big trouble with God over it.

Basically, when Joseph Smith was first translating the Book of Mormon (the story is he was directed to find the golden plates, aka where the Book of Mormon comes from, by an angel after his initial vision of God and Jesus), one of the people who was helping him translate really really wanted to show a bunch of his friends what they'd been working on. Up until that point the translated pages had just been between Joseph Smith and this guy, Martin Harris. So Joseph prays and asks God, hey, can Martin go show this stuff to his buddies? And the answer he gets is no. So they go back to translating but Martin Harris just really really wants to show these pages around, and so Joseph asks God again. This goes on for a bit, with God answering no, until finally God goes 'fine, if you really want'. So Martin Harris takes the translated pages and shows them to his buddies...and they end up going missing. Joseph's pretty distraught, he goes to talk to God again, and God is pissed, because, you know, Joseph Smith just wasn't taking his initial 'no's for an answer, which is what he should have done, because he kept coming back and asking as if he knew better than God. This resulted in all translation stopping for a while, even the plates being taken away. Mormons believe what was lost was the Book of Lehi, basically the first 'book' of the Book of Mormon, which now starts with the Book of Nephi instead (God was basically so pissed that when translation began again, that part of the plates was 'sealed' and wasn't allowed to be translated again). This is basically just the first link that pops up about this story https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_116_pages

That's a lot of Mormon specific words to just say 'if you're not humble enough and think you know best, you can eventually get whatever answer you want from God, or at least think you've got that answer, because duh, humanity', but there you go. A Mormon specific story about why you shouldn't do that, and how Joseph Smith was a guy like anyone who made big mistakes even according to the LDS church.

Edit 2, sorry:

And all of that and it occurs to me that really, I think the clarification isn't that the Constitution and every word therein is divinely inspired, as believed by Mormons, but that the concept of it, the concepts within it, and the idea of a living document, was. Which is basically your generic American exceptionalism with a religious flavor (as if American exceptionalism doesn't have that in general).

My sister went to the Bundy's ward in Henderson. They are normal run of the mill LDS

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Gropiemon posted:

My sister went to the Bundy's ward in Henderson. They are normal run of the mill LDS

Aha. Welp.

I'll go back to being embarrassed they exist then. Also, people were allowed to leave with their weapons, it's just the FBI wanted to check them to make sure they weren't stolen/were registered.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

katlington posted:

He was reaching for a dildo.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Can someone please give me a summary of what all has happened since Tarp Man died? There's a thousand unread posts in this topic since it has blown up and I can't keep up at this point.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Can someone please give me a summary of what all has happened since Tarp Man died? There's a thousand unread posts in this topic since it has blown up and I can't keep up at this point.

Most of the campers have evacuated and some have been arrested. Four holdouts are still on federal property.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Specifically the four holdouts on the refuge are:

Fat guy
Fat guy's wife, who is not pregnant
Kylo Ren
Some guy named Tanta? I think

They're camping outside now because they think it will aid their defense that they were just camping.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Thought Fat Wife was preggo.

Whatever im sure the seal team is on the way

Kylo redneck ever stream again?

Despera fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 31, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Despera posted:

Whatever im sure the seal team is on the way

Searched "parachuting seals" in google image search. Nothing.

"parachuting actual seals". Nothing.

"parachuting literal seals". Nothing.

"parachuting sea lions". Still nothing.

There are no images of seals being dropped from planes. We need do drop some literal seals with parachutes now.

Edit: the best I could find

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I think that seal is having some kind of problem :ohdear:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Lavoy is Mormon, right?

So right now, he is a God over another planet in this universe.

His First commandment better be: Thou shalt use bullet proof tarp.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Searched "parachuting seals" in google image search. Nothing.

"parachuting actual seals". Nothing.

"parachuting literal seals". Nothing.

"parachuting sea lions". Still nothing.

There are no images of seals being dropped from planes. We need do drop some literal seals with parachutes now.

Edit: the best I could find

Something tells me that they are never going to survive unless they get a little bit crazy

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe the problem isn't getting the seals to them but getting the "campers" to the seals. Maybe we should bring back the Fulton system and air lift the campers to a military carrier where all their new seal friends are waiting to meet them.

Also is there any hope that these people get hosed by the supposed private industry they so worship and are sent to a privatized prison? I think these SovCits need to learn what real slavery is and who really wants that to come back more than anyone else.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Despera posted:

Thought Fat Wife was preggo.

If it's the person I'm thinking of she posted a Facebook statement frustratedly saying this was not the case.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Crabtree posted:

Maybe the problem isn't getting the seals to them but getting the "campers" to the seals. Maybe we should bring back the Fulton system and air lift the campers to a military carrier where all their new seal friends are waiting to meet them.

Also is there any hope that these people get hosed by the supposed private industry they so worship and are sent to a privatized prison? I think these SovCits need to learn what real slavery is and who really wants that to come back more than anyone else.

Yeah but the last time they tried fultoning a pig it spun around a bunch in the air and then got really pissed and attacked the crew.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah but the last time they tried fultoning a pig it spun around a bunch in the air and then got really pissed and attacked the crew.

Should've had Quiet tranq it first.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Oh wow he clearly predicted this standoff. Snow and birds at 4:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fc67yQsPqQ

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mercury_Storm posted:

I suspect what they actually believe is something along the lines of: "He was a freedom fighter gently caress da po-lice 420 gov'ment took my baby."

A small, late reminder that the "dingo took my baby" lady was released from jail and all charges dropped when it turned out that dingoes had in fact killed her infant. I'm not trying to suggest that these chucklefucks are legit at all, but that we shouldn't use that particular meme to denote obvious lies/conspiracy theories.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

SedanChair posted:

I think that seal is having some kind of problem :ohdear:

Me too :(

Though now that I think about it, this picture really describes how those 4 must feel right about now.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Ammon Bundy, Ryan Bundy, Ryan Payne, Brian Cavalier, and Shawna Cox were all arrested after LaVoy Finicum was killed (an unnamed 18-year-old girl who I think was one of their singing children was detained but released, as she was in the truck with Finicum). Joseph O'Shaugnessy and Jon Ritzenheimer were both arrested in separated incidents (Ritzenheimer had already fled back home to Arizona before Finicum's death and turned himself in when he found out that the cops were looking for him). Pete Santilli was arrested after calling Blaine Cooper back at the refuge and thinking that Cooper was going to make a stand with the women and children as his human shields, and is rightly being charged with the same stuff as the rest of the militia despite trying to style himself as an "independent reporter".

The majority of the refuge took off after the mass arrests and Finicum's death, including Cooper and the children. The remainder divided themselves up into several small groups situated around the refuge and used a backhoe to hastily build berms as lovely fortifications, but everyone except a small group of 4 holdouts left (some being arrested). They were making plans to flee to the next county over, but Kylo Meth wouldn't stop compulsively live streaming everything and stupidly broadcast their escape plans on the Internet (supposedly he was kicked out of one of the escaping vehicles because he wouldn't turn his drat camera off). The handful of remaining militants have abandoned the messy buildings and are now living out the "siege" outdoors, to try and claim that they were "just camping" in a desperate attempt to avoid prosecution for occupying federal property.

The FBI's current statement in negotiations is that all of them are free to leave (with ID checked) except for Sean Anderson, who's currently wanted for arrest. The remaining militants are refusing to leave unless they can be guaranteed a pardon for their actions, and unless the FBI moves in for an arrest they'll likely stay until they start starving. This could be soon, as apparently the fleeing militia took most of the food and water with them.

There's currently on 4 people left on the refuge:

1. David Fry, AKA "Kylo Meth" for his vague resemblance to Adam Driver, and also known as DefendYourBase. He's the youngest remaining at 27 (and likely one of the younger militia guys in general). By all accounts he was a dumbass hanger-on who only got involved because he struck up an online friendship with the late LaVoy Finicum. He got zero respect from any of the other militants whenever he was on property, likely because of his twitchy demeanor, and got intentionally left behind because of his compulsive desire to broadcast their secret plans online. He's the guy who operates the intermittent live streams from the current campers. Possibly the most unhinged of the four holdouts, known for yelling about his desire to sacrifice himself for the cause and hearing Finicum talking to him from beyond the grave. PlanetSide 2 scrub.

2. Sean Anderson, the one the FBI wants to arrest. He's an obese guy with a Mini-14 and a cheap scope who has an outstanding bench warrant from 2014 and some misdemeanor convictions. One of those convictions is for possession of marijuana, and it's believed that he brought a stash that he's now sharing with the remaining group. He and his wife shared a dance to their favorite song on live stream as they cried, claiming it was possibly their "last dance together". Adamant during interviews that the armed insurrection that threatened to shoot cops was a "peaceful protest" and that Finicum's death was the murder of an unarmed man by federal agents.

3. Sandy Anderson, wife of Sean Anderson. The only remaining woman of the group and so fat that she was rumored to be pregnant (which she denied on Facebook). About as divorced from reality as her husband and looks almost identical from behind.

4. Jeff Banta, the mystery man. Almost nothing is known about him or how crazy he is, as he's the most silent and camera-shy of the group.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 31, 2016

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Despera posted:

Something tells me that they are never going to survive unless they get a little bit crazy

After that picture we might need a prayer for the dying (seal)

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

How many guys took off after Finicum was killed? It's never been that clear what the total numbers were.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How funny is it going to be when it turns out Banta is an fbi plant?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BeigeJacket posted:

How many guys took off after Finicum was killed? It's never been that clear what the total numbers were.

The Anti-Defamation League did a PDF back on January 12th that identified 30 militants. Their list didn't include Pete Santilli or any of the remaining 4, which means that they could have had at least 35 people including Santilli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

As an addendum, I should point out that the number of militants actually on the refuge at any given time was highly fluid. Not everyone stayed in the occupied area, either only visiting in the day then going back to a motel or staying a few days in each place. Some also left the refuge after staying a short time, like O'Shaugnessy left after only a week or two after getting into fights with the other militia (he was the guy we made fun of weeks ago for drinking away their donation money) and thinking that the ease with which they captured the refuge must have been a sign that the place was pre-bugged and they were lured by the government into a trap.

• Locked thread