Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

UrbicaMortis posted:

Jesus. This election is such a clusterfuck. I guess i'm going anti-masonic because Wirt seems least worst.

GOONS: "I wish I could vote for a Federalist again..."

*Finger on the monkey's paw curls*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
Voting Clay/Sergeant mostly for Sergeant, who I'd never heard of before. Clay is a bastard but a pragmatic one who probably would have been a decent president (and certainly better than King Andrew).

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

QuoProQuid posted:

Presidential Nominee: Henry Lee
  • Party Affiliation: Federalist Party
  • Notable Positions: Adviser to Secretary of the Treasury Albert Gallatin
  • Biography: Henry Lee is a prominent American economist who affiliates with the Ricardian economics, which rejects mercantilism and instead embraces the theories of comparative advantage and specialization. Though not well-known in his native Massachusetts, Lee is popular in England, where he provides an American perspective on British economic policy. In 1830, Lee ran unsuccessfully for a seat in the House of Representatives. His opponent, Nathan Appleton, later wrote the Tariff of 1832.
  • Platform: Reflecting the disorganization of the Nullifier Party, Henry Lee is not aware that he has been nominated and disagrees with John Floyd on almost every policy issue. Floyd is a Northerner who opposes slavery and a Federalist, who believes in a robust, centralized national government. Lee’s only credential for the party is his opposition to tariffs. During the Adams and Jackson administrations, Henry Lee advocated for free trade and assisted Secretary of the Treasury Albert Gallatin articulate his opposition to the American System. His position on all other issues is unknown.

Lee's the one, I like the look of him.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Wirt is the fly in the ointment that this country needs.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
If we could elect Clay and then ensure the thread title comes true to make Sargeant the President, I'd be all for that.

Lacking that, I'll vote Anti-Masonic. Those two guys look like the least bad of the bunch.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Thump! posted:

Wirt is the fly in the ointment that this country needs.

I don't trust him. Sure he's running as an outsider, but I only see another AMINO (Anti Mason In Name Only) looking for a quick buck. Has Wirt ever publicly identified Jackson, Adams, Calhoun, Van Buren (who we all know is a covert Dutchman ineligible for office) as masons like I have? Has he ever denounced them for their naked support of the murder of William Morgan? He's no Solomon Southwick, I'll tell you what.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I will not be voting in this election for the following three reasons:

1) Indians were forced to live far away from anywhere that matters
2) Indian men wouldn't have been able to vote anyways
3) I died in the Trail of Tears

Don't vote for Jackson. Vote for Wirt.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Lee's the one, I like the look of him.

Why is he not an option in the poll???

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
JACKSON *slams down phone*

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I'm not voting for a party as patently ridiculous as the Anti-Masons, but Henry Lee? The man who was unwillingly and unknowingly nominated? Well, him I like enough to support!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Feral_Shofixti posted:

JACKSON *slams down phone*

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Octatonic posted:

I don't trust him. Sure he's running as an outsider, but I only see another AMINO (Anti Mason In Name Only) looking for a quick buck.

This claim is so baseless, it's acidic!

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Feral_Shofixti posted:

JACKSON *slams down phonepidgeon*

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

GlyphGryph posted:

Why is he not an option in the poll???

He is, he's just listed after his less photogenic vice president

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Voted Clay, let's fight about it.

Dayvan Cowboy
Feb 11, 2014
Jackson was a hater.
Jackson was a hater!
That's what he did!
That Jackson was a Jackson!

(Vote Wirt. I guess.)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Floyd/Lee '32!

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

QuoProQuid posted:

Presidential Nominee: Henry Lee
  • No painting exists of him

• Party Affiliation: Federalist Party

• Though not well-known in his native Massachusetts, Lee is popular in England, where he provides an American perspective on British economic policy.

• Reflecting the disorganization of the Nullifier Party, Henry Lee is not aware that he has been nominated and disagrees with John Floyd on almost every policy issue. Floyd is a Northerner who opposes slavery and a Federalist, who believes in a robust, centralized national government. Lee’s only credential for the party is his opposition to tariffs.

• His position on all other issues is unknown.

Is this guy even a real person?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Clay/Sergeant! Greece for the Greeks, I say. :colbert: Since we're clearly now passing from bizarro EU4 game to bizarro Vicky game, I demand an American-allied restored Byzantium.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I can't believe I voted for the loving anti-Mason party.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Empress Theonora posted:

I can't believe I voted for the loving Trump party.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Corek posted:

Is this guy even a real person?

He's a historical footnote of a historical footnote, but he does exist.

The American Economy: A Historical Encyclopedia, Volume I posted:

Author of the influential “Boston report,” which challenged the ideas that the government should protect manufactures and that protective duties result in lowering prices. Born in Beverly, Massachusetts, on February 4, 1782, Henry Lee dropped out of college early to enter business. He traveled to Calcutta in 1811 and, because of the War of 1812, he decided to remain in India, where he made trading acquaintances. A student of political economy, Lee opposed some of the viewpoints held by supporters of the American System, which called for a national bank, protective tariffs, and government funding of internal improvements such as roads and canals. He also wrote for Condy Raguet’s Free-Trade Advocate, a Philadelphia publication. In the 1820s, Lee turned his attention to the tariff—an issue that was very compelling in New England. Woolen manufacturers there supported protectionist tariffs because they faced strong competition from overseas. Merchants and traders who opposed these protectionist tariffs, fearing they would hinder trading relationships with foreign countries, chose Henry Lee to write the 200-word document Report of the Committee of the Citizens of Boston and Vicinity, Opposed to a Further Increase of Duties on Importations, sometimes called the “Boston report.” First printed in 1827, it had four printings and was singled out by historian Edward Stanwood, who said in his American Tariff Controversies in the Nineteenth Century that “no more powerful document was ever produced in this country.” The report challenged the ideas that the government should protect manufactures and that protective duties result in lowering prices, among other ideas. It also discounted the belief that the British government had suddenly altered its system of duties after the United States passed its tariff of 1824, thus undercutting American prices. Lee pointed out that the British had begun petitioning for this change in 1820 and passed legislation that lowered the tariff before they could even have heard of the American bill.

In 1828, Senator Daniel Webster of Massachusetts replied to the Boston report in a disappointing speech in the congressional debate on the proposed Tariff of 1828. He admitted that Britain did not lower its tariff in response to the American 1824 tariff, but he argued, “The effect of that reduction, on our manufactures, was the same precisely as if the British act had been designed to operate against them, and for no other purpose.”

In the 1832 presidential election, South Carolina gave its 11 electoral votes for vice president to Henry Lee. He died February 6, 1867.

Empress Theonora posted:

I can't believe I voted for the loving anti-Mason party.

Congratulations on voting for Adams/Clay's astroturf group.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 00:30 on Feb 1, 2016

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Carrasco posted:

This claim is so baseless, it's acidic!

I will not stand for this kind of left-handed insult. The AMINO question is essential to building our body politic. In this very thread you see accusations that we are merely a synthetic group of reactionaries, propped up by the very same Masons that are behind the dissolution of our still young country. If we are to succeed, we need someone who can form bonds. Someone with pep. The tides of this battle can yet be turned, but I don't know if this is the man to do it.

lysine

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I support this idea of making up Presidential candidates from Massachusetts, to ensure we always have one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

QuoProQuid posted:

Congratulations on voting for Adams/Clay's astroturf group.

Joke’s on them if the Anti‐Masons actually win.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Octatonic posted:

someone who can form bonds. Someone with pep. The tides of this battle can yet be turned

holy poo poo

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

QuoProQuid posted:

He's a historical footnote of a historical footnote, but he does exist.

Oh, I forgot that South Carolina still awarded its votes from the legislature. No wonder somebody who didn't know he was running for vice president could get the votes from there.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Unfortunately we will have to wait for Hubert Humphrey for someone with chemistry experience to vote for.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Corek posted:

Oh, I forgot that South Carolina still awarded its votes from the legislature.

i think that by 1860 they were the last state who still did this. basically the least democratic state in the nation and the germinal point of secession, which is not at all a coincidence imnsho

interestingly i feel like they were also the last stronghold of southern whigs. i'm not sure i remember right, but i bet it's the same elitist anti-democratic processes that allowed that

edit: btw im voting clay because he's a combination of not-worst option and not-worst chances of winning. i guess that generally results in a 'second-worst' strategy

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 02:19 on Feb 1, 2016

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

The anti-Mason cucumber inspector we can trust.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Vote Clay to not wipe out native Americans any more than we already have!

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

reignonyourparade posted:

Vote Clay to not wipe out native Americans any more than we already have!

Vote Anit Masonic, don't screw over the Indians too much AND stop the Illuminati from laying the seeds for their one world government.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
Wirt being a Mason and Ellmaker wanting to remove all Masons from office seems like it would be problematic.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

quote:

Wirt wrote a letter to the convention stating that he found Freemasonry unobjectionable and that in his experience many Masons were "intelligent men of high and honourable character" who would never choose Freemasonry above "their duties to their God and country".

:siren:AMINO:siren:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Look at the establishment splitting their votes. :smugdog:

Let's make America great. For the first time.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Voting for Wirt, I have had it with these monkey-fighting Masons in this monday to friday government

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Proposition Joe posted:

I support this idea of making up Presidential candidates from Massachusetts, to ensure we always have one.

Easiest way to win my vote.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
There will be more Adamses to vote for in 1848 (Free Soil) and 1872 (Bourbon Democrat).

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
These candidates are all aggressively terrible, but this election is great - this stuff is frankly incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
If only Martin Van Buren was running on his lonesome, with the corpse of whoever beat Jackson to the nomination, obviously.

Instead I must defend the American System and vote for Henry Clay.

• Locked thread