Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cnut the Great posted:

I always just figured they let him leave with Anakin because, hell, Anakin built him, and he's really Anakin's last connection to his childhood with his mother.

Yeah, like "sorry you mom died, we still have your droid".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

You'd think they'd have more use for 3PO then Anakin did.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yaws posted:

It's why they buy him again.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Beeez posted:

I hate the way the new characters talk in the new Marvel Star Wars stuff. With the characters from the movies they at least attempt to imitate their voice, although I think they frequently fail, especially with Vader, but any character that they've created themselves talks like any other comic book character, with the same kind of sassy Joss Whedon-esque dialogue that's already become the norm in comic books or they talk like any old comic book villain.

This is my biggest problem with the Vader comics alongside just seeing Vader do DBZ-esque antics, knocking down spacefighters and tanks like nothing and killing hundreds of rebels in the middle of an open field.

The Lando comic felt better because it was a Star Wars story that suited the Marvel tone.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Yaws posted:

3PO is Anakin's only remaining connection to his childhood. C-3PO is Anakin's Rosebud.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Christopher Lee is the only actor on the Episode II commentary who doesn't exclusively describe how difficult it is to act on green screen. Instead he says, "I play Count Dooku who is a count who is secretly evil. At some point in his life he decided that he would be evil" and he makes those sentences sound like the most profound statement in the world.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Frackie Robinson posted:

3PO is Anakin's only remaining connection to his childhood. C-3PO is Anakin's Rosebud.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like how C3PO only being created by a single person parallels Anakin's virgin birth.

Both also end up being servants that rely on subverting their servitude to get poo poo done.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What does Natalie Portman see in Hayden Christensen in Episode II? He's a textbook abuser and justifies mass murder. More people in Star Wars need to read The Gift of Fear.

EDIT: Samuel L Jackson giving compliments to Jimmy Smitts makes the commentary worthwhile.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Why does C3P0 look identical to every other protocol droid ever? Did anakin build him from a kit?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Why does C3P0 look identical to every other protocol droid ever? Did anakin build him from a kit?

He didn't actually build him, he found a naked protocol droid in wattos dumpster and then got him a replacement eyeball, which he plugged in. Viola.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

He didn't build him completely from scratch. He refurbished a junked protocol droid chassis.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You know, Anakin and Padme deserve the death penalty in Episode II. They straight up murder a ton of dudes just doing their day jobs in a factory. poo poo.

Why is that one monster in the arena a mammal? Everything else on that planet is an insect.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Jack Gladney posted:

Why is that one monster in the arena a mammal? Everything else on that planet is an insect.

It was imported, people like Han Solo smuggle that poo poo around.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Raxivace posted:

I like how C3PO only being created by a single person parallels Anakin's virgin birth.

Both also end up being servants that rely on subverting their servitude to get poo poo done.

Why did it have to be C3PO - why couldn't Anakin have made a unique droid that could have formed an emotional connection with the audience like his mother?

:rip: STARS WARS

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Jack Gladney posted:

Somebody, probably SMG but maybe Cnut, theorised that the monsters are just hideous visualisations of the characters' sexuality. Obi-Wan's is a praying-mantis like creature that he stabs to death with a sword/spear, Anakin climbs up on the rhino with a dong for a horn and rides it around, while Padme strangles the feminine cat alien to death with her chains.

I'm working off memory so I might have gotten something wrong, but the general idea seems fairly sound.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ungulateman posted:

Somebody, probably SMG but maybe Cnut, theorised that the monsters are just hideous visualisations of the characters' sexuality. Obi-Wan's is a praying-mantis like creature that he stabs to death with a sword/spear, Anakin climbs up on the rhino with a dong for a horn and rides it around, while Padme strangles the feminine cat alien to death with her chains.

I'm working off memory so I might have gotten something wrong, but the general idea seems fairly sound.

Is there a non-phallic way to kill somebody in Star Wars? They should have just had her fight that pit from Return of the Jedi.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jack Gladney posted:

Is there a non-phallic way to kill somebody in Star Wars?

Feed them to a sand vagina.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

Is there a non-phallic way to kill somebody in Star Wars? They should have just had her fight that pit from Return of the Jedi.

Choke someone.

No... wait...

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

ungulateman posted:

No Padme whips it with the chains a couple times then Anakin's monster comes and tramples it to death while he's riding it.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The digital space is head space

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Yeah, it's fairly important that Anakin rams his red-headed rhinoceros into her wide-mouthed purple cat.

Attack Of The Clones is first and foremost a bizarre sex-comedy: "machines making machines? How perverse!"

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Yeah, it's fairly important that Anakin rams his red-headed rhinoceros into her wide-mouthed purple cat.

Attack Of The Clones is first and foremost a bizarre sex-comedy: "machines making machines? How perverse!"

It's about as subtle as the birds eye view of the sarlacc pit.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Okay, it's been referenced a lot and I feel like its going over my head- what is the underlying joke/irony with 3PO's "machines making machines" line? Is it just that he's scandalized by the thought of his own kind reproducing?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He's creating the Singularity Engine.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
"Babies having babies."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

CelticPredator posted:

He's creating the Singularity Engine.

THE PERFECT MARRIAGE BETWEEN MAN AND MACHINE! THEIR BEAUTY WILL BE HAUNTING!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It is interesting when you go back to ANH that Leia basically sends her (robo-)brother on a suicide mission so the rebellion can get the plans.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

computer parts posted:

It is interesting when you go back to ANH that Leia basically sends her (robo-)brother on a suicide mission so the rebellion can get the plans.

R2 is the one that gets sent on the suicide mission. 3PO just sort of comes along with it in order to avoid death.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cnut the Great posted:

We already had that scene. This scene is about showing him fully transitioning into the Vader we know from the OT, the cruel bastard who no longer gives a poo poo about anyone or anything.

They already had those. This is what Republic Navy officers wore during the Clone Wars.

"Hmmm, it needs to be double-breasted, but in a way that says 'SPACE!'"
"We could make it kinda hosed up, like its only got half of one of the panels?"
"What you mean like a regular single breast on one side-"
"No like one of the panels is just loving cut in half. I'll get out the scissors it'll take two seconds. We can sew on some trim."
". . . Whatever."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gonz posted:

LOOK AT ME NOW FATHER!!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Frackie Robinson posted:

Okay, it's been referenced a lot and I feel like its going over my head- what is the underlying joke/irony with 3PO's "machines making machines" line? Is it just that he's scandalized by the thought of his own kind reproducing?

Also, how else do you make machines? Pretty sure that Lucas is a fan of automated production since his billions depend on it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Frackie Robinson posted:

I think it's because he was made by Anakin, and thus he would see droids making other droids as weird. Apply C-3PO's overly-dramatic tone and you get his reaction to the Geonosis droid foundries.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Frackie Robinson posted:

C3PO, a gay robot, is disgusted by procreation.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The gay robots of Star Wars?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4N0Ap2rkdI

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gonz posted:

These videos should be linked in the op because it think about half of the threads jokes reference them now.

And honestly I can't not see pt threepio any other way.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's why they buy him again.

Owen: "I don't need a loving butler robot."
3PO: "No, of course not. But I do speak 5 billion languages."
Owen: "What I really need is a robot who can tell my shitbird robots in the sand that they're idiots, and they're doing it wrong."
3PO: "I'm very fluent in shitbird! Why, it's like a second la-"
Owen: "All right, shut the gently caress up." (to Jawas) "I'll take this loving thing."

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Red posted:

Owen: "I don't need a loving butler robot."
3PO: "No, of course not. But I do speak 5 billion languages."
Owen: "What I really need is a robot who can tell my shitbird robots in the sand that they're idiots, and they're doing it wrong."
3PO: "I'm very fluent in shitbird! Why, it's like a second la-"
Owen: "All right, shut the gently caress up." (to Jawas) "I'll take this loving thing."

Technically useful!

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Here's the last Star Wars thing Lucas created:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMVrMP8us6Q

It is shockingly, bafflingly terrible. I had never heard of this series, because:

Wiki posted:

The series was announced at Star Wars Celebration VI in summer 2012.[3] In March 2013, Lucasfilm postponed Detours while they reconsidered whether releasing a comedy series prior to the sequels "makes sense".[4] That September, Green said 39 episodes had been completed, with 62 additional scripts finished.[5]

Shortly after the official announcement, Disney bought Lucasfilm and Star Wars, and although apparently there are a lot of episodes all ready to go, they appear to be sitting on it like The Day The Clown Cried.

Discussion question: How can we justify this as George Lucas being an ascended Buddha whose every motion is pregnant with meaning and not a mindless toy-hocking businessman surrounded by yes-men who felt it was necessary to break into the huge Robot Chicken/Family Guy Star Wars market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
You could also read into the line as C3-PO having the same reverence for creation as his human creators; man should not play god, and droid should not play man.

Also please stop referring to him by a homogenized slave name, his true name is C3-PO and you will respect droid culture

• Locked thread