Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Ugh, there's a bug with Super Mario Galaxy on the Dolphin in which the game freezes after the ending cinematic. The solution is to use some different sound option, which prevents the use of Save States for some reason.

The idea of playing even one level without proper save states is wearying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Qwertycoatl posted:

Actually that reminds me of something that annoys me in multiple games. When I get a game that's a port, or a GOTY edition, or whatever, that has a bunch of item DLC included, and when the game starts for the first time it just shoves a heap of items into my starting inventory. Generally it's stuff that's a bit overpowered for a starting character, and generally it makes no sense whatsoever for the character to even have it.

That's why I think the Sleeping Dogs Definitive/GOTY edition is amazing. The developers went to the effort of making all the DLC (minus the one blatant cheat one available for the base game) integrated. DLC clothes are mostly spread across the stores with the more powerful ones having significant prices, vehicles are tied in as mission rewards, etc. They even put together a few extra missions/activities for some of the items.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MisterBibs posted:

Ugh, there's a bug with Super Mario Galaxy on the Dolphin in which the game freezes after the ending cinematic. The solution is to use some different sound option, which prevents the use of Save States for some reason.

The idea of playing even one level without proper save states is wearying.

How bad are you at video games if you need save states for mario?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

How bad are you at video games if you need save states for mario?

How masochistic can one be to not use save states for any game in which they are available? It's why you play console games on their respective emulators and not on the original hardware, after all. Shame about the glitch dragging it down.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 03:47 on Feb 1, 2016

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Every MMO has this issue, where all the players wind up looking really uniform in the end and it makes me wish more games made your armor cosmic and made your stats come from somewhere else to prevent this. Or included cosmetic armor slots.

DC Universe Online does this, with armor slots determining your stats but a separate "style" menu determining what you look like--you had a lot of options for your character's costume at character creation, and then when you picked up a new piece of armor its appearance would be added to a drop-down menu for whichever armor slot it was for. This made your stats and your appearance entirely divorced from each other, and then you got a fun new twist to loot where if you get a gear drop, even if it's not better than what you have or doesn't fit your build or whatever, it can still be worthwhile if it looks cool.

It's such a neat system that it kinda ruins other RPGs that don't do that for me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The World Ends with You was a good JRPG that I liked that had a nice soundtrack to it but it's also a JRPG on a handheld gaming device which means no one would ever copy any ideas from it. Such has having a variety of songs that play in combat which keeps you from getting sick of the same theme if possible. Not everything can measure up to the Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga battle song. :v:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

How masochistic can one be to not use save states for any game in which they are available? It's why you play console games on their respective emulators and not on the original hardware, after all. Shame about the glitch dragging it down.

As masochistic as every player who actually played it normally on the wii, which is not masochistic at all.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Not masochistic at all? I mean I had it on the wii, I don't think they even had wii emulators at the time. I still reiterate, if you feel like you need save states for mario then you're bad at games.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Savestates and a fast-forward button would make literally every game better.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I play all my games without any save states, am I hardcore?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't see the point of using save states when just activating the invincibility means I'm unlikely to ever even need to load a save.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

MisterBibs posted:

get a look at this bitchmade loser

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

DC Universe Online does this, with armor slots determining your stats but a separate "style" menu determining what you look like--you had a lot of options for your character's costume at character creation, and then when you picked up a new piece of armor its appearance would be added to a drop-down menu for whichever armor slot it was for. This made your stats and your appearance entirely divorced from each other, and then you got a fun new twist to loot where if you get a gear drop, even if it's not better than what you have or doesn't fit your build or whatever, it can still be worthwhile if it looks cool.

It's such a neat system that it kinda ruins other RPGs that don't do that for me.

Yeah, it seems like such an obvious improvement to basically any RPG that I don't know why it's so rare.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

MisterBibs posted:

Just watch the ending on YouTube if you're never gonna risk a temporary failstate in your game for children, it'll save a lot of time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

At least he didn't say something incomprehensible like savestates on Kirby's Epic Yarn.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Digirat posted:

As masochistic as every player who actually played it normally on the wii, which is not masochistic at all.

hosed up (and backwards as hell) if true. You wait for console games to be emulated to avoid not having save states.

Sleeveless posted:

Savestates and a fast-forward button would make literally every game better.

This man speaks the truth.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 05:31 on Feb 1, 2016

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

MisterBibs posted:

This man speaks the truth.

Considering that Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam has a dedicated fast-forward button even Nintendo agrees with us.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

MisterBibs posted:

You, maybe. I tend to break out the emulators for reasons of ease in playability. I've been playing a bit of Kingdom Hearts on emulator recently, mostly because it's just easier to boot up the emulator than dig up the PS2, the disc, and hook it up to a TV. Also because I can finally try Final Mix if I use an emulator, and the only option otherwise there is to go buy an HD re-release for a console I have even worse access to.

The thing dragging that experience down is that I installed an English translation patch, but it's a terrible patch. Chest contents don't print properly, text usually doesn't actually print in speech bubbles, and sometimes subtitles are just incomprehensible gibberish. I'm questioning if it's even worth continuing to use the patch, since half the reasons I'd want to use it aren't working.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Hell, I play Mario Galaxy on an emulator because it's less effort and expense than buying a Wii, batteries for the controller, a TV to hook it up to, and a copy of the game!

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
i just save myself the trouble by abjuring videogames altogether. gently caress 'em.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
How to unlock Super Saiyan Vegeta as a character in Xenoverse:

1. Start up a particular sidequest, beat it a few times. Wonder what the bonus conditions are. Look them up.
2. Find out you have to leave the are where the actual fight takes place. To be fair, this part can be figured out easily enough.
3. Talk to Krillin in this other area. He will join you. Head back to the fight.
4. Let Frieza kill Krillin. Frieza is not guaranteed to target krillin. Frieza is not guaranteed to not be killed by any AI allies you might bring along to ease the tedium of killing 7 chump dudes at the start.
5. Goku will rock up to fight frieza. Eventually so will vegeta. Hopefully vegeta does not die. Kill frieza.
6. Vegeta will go super saiyan and turn on you. Sometimes he will not. You can't get the skill if he doesn't
7. Beat Vegeta. You might get the unlock. You might not.
8. Look it up again and find out it's not even a character it's a skill called 'super vegeta'. What the gently caress?
9. Never bother with this dumbass chain of bullshit.

The game can actually be really fun when it's not letting boss characters be arbitrarily stagger immune and it's not deciding to have the two or 3 strong enemies you have to fight gang up on you instead of splitting up to attack one of your allies. But whoever decided to put random drops after hilariously convoluted condition chains that rely on the AI acting a specific way or not getting killed, some of which may not even happen despite meeting all the requirements, can go gently caress themselves.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gitro posted:

How to unlock Super Saiyan Vegeta as a character in Xenoverse:

1. Start up a particular sidequest, beat it a few times. Wonder what the bonus conditions are. Look them up.
2. Find out you have to leave the are where the actual fight takes place. To be fair, this part can be figured out easily enough.
3. Talk to Krillin in this other area. He will join you. Head back to the fight.
4. Let Frieza kill Krillin. Frieza is not guaranteed to target krillin. Frieza is not guaranteed to not be killed by any AI allies you might bring along to ease the tedium of killing 7 chump dudes at the start.
5. Goku will rock up to fight frieza. Eventually so will vegeta. Hopefully vegeta does not die. Kill frieza.
6. Vegeta will go super saiyan and turn on you. Sometimes he will not. You can't get the skill if he doesn't
7. Beat Vegeta. You might get the unlock. You might not.
8. Look it up again and find out it's not even a character it's a skill called 'super vegeta'. What the gently caress?
9. Never bother with this dumbass chain of bullshit.

The game can actually be really fun when it's not letting boss characters be arbitrarily stagger immune and it's not deciding to have the two or 3 strong enemies you have to fight gang up on you instead of splitting up to attack one of your allies. But whoever decided to put random drops after hilariously convoluted condition chains that rely on the AI acting a specific way or not getting killed, some of which may not even happen despite meeting all the requirements, can go gently caress themselves.

Christ, you'd think you'd just get important power ups like that by following the main story and just having it given to you.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

"Super Vegeta" has always been a whole different thing than "Super Saiyan Vegeta". I don't get it either. :shrug:

RareAcumen posted:

Christ, you'd think you'd just get important power ups like that by following the main story and just having it given to you.

I think that's how you unlock him actually, as an ally at least.

To get Super Saiyan for your player character, just buy it at the shop.

Kay Kessler has a new favorite as of 06:54 on Feb 1, 2016

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Kay Kessler posted:

"Super Vegeta" has always been a whole different thing than "Super Saiyan Vegeta". I don't get it either. :shrug:

"Super Vegeta" is the buffed-up form he used when he fought Cell.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think there's any major MMO left that doesn't have a cosmetic system, or has your look unlinked to stats.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
To get bog standard super saiyan, you can either grind one sidequest, where you have to fight some dudes, kill krillin before goku (an actual sensible choice, since he's way weaker), then hope that goku goes super saiyan because sometimes he doesn't. Then you have to hope that SS goku doesn't kill frieza before you kill him, and oh boy does the AI love to stand riiight in front of people charging giant deathbeams. It' still a random drop, of course.

Or you can just play through some more of the main story and buy it, thank god. You have to play through all of the Cell saga and the android saga before it shows up, but the android saga is two fights. You also get to choose your own race, so it's not important at all if you didn't pick Saiyan.

This game would be improved a thousand fold if doing well in a mission and meeting the bonus conditions guaranteed some of this stuff dropped.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

A quick tip, if you're doing sidequests as soon as you unlock them, you might want to wait til you're a few levels higher. Levels matter quite a bit in the game. Even though you're only given a few points per level to spend on stats, all your stats increase some as you level. How much each stat goes up depends on the race you picked.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kay Kessler posted:

In-game it's basically just super saiyan with a different stat distribution. But yeah they're not really clear on it and a lot of the moves come from really obscure bullshit like killing one specific guy while certain party members are alive but then letting them die the next round.

My least favorite thing about Xenoverse though was that as someone pointed out, the enemy can spam their super special guard break attack any time they want. It's this dumb AOE thing that makes them invincible, does a decent amount of damage and breaks any guard, grabs or anything. You can do it too but yours isn't anywhere near as good as the AI nor can you use it more than like twice because it eats up your special gauge. The AI has infinite special gauge so they can use it infinitely. Sometimes they do. Sometimes this happens and there's nothing you can really do about it.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

There are a bunch of games that do that. The thing really dragging down DCUO is the overabundance of DLC which granted, is not strictly necessary and the incredibly poor F2P model. Even ToR doesn't completely lock you out of the economy if you're not subscribed, their 350k credit limit won't let you buy hot items but you can still get a huge variety of pretty much everything that's not super rare. The 2000 credit cap in DCUO lets you buy gently caress all, it's enough to repair your gear but good luck getting anything else with that.

So while you can have access to everything in ToR if you throw down 50 bucks or so to lift the worst restrictions and buy the newest expansion which also grants you access to all the previous expansions DCUO does no such thing. Honestly having a worse free to play model than loving ToR is something I just can't comprehend that should not be possible.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Most of the star skills in Xenoverse come from mentors and the store, so it honestly doesn't hurt that bad that other skills come from drops. If there's an iconic move from Dragon Ball that you really want, most likely it'll come from training under the person that used it. Just sniffing that stuff out will get you everywhere you need to go.

The real bitch is clothes coming from drops. For pretty much the whole second half of the game all the good clothes come from missions rather than stores, so you've just gotta hope that you get a drop of the outfit that you want, in a slot that you want it for. And there's no way to find out what those clothes actually boost stat-wise without getting one, since they rarely actually correspond to who wears those clothes. I remember really shooting for Android 18's outfit, since I was training under her and her fighting style and specials were pretty in-line with what my own character used, but for some reason her outfit really isn't suited for the style she herself has.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Trying to do a strike super character and out of the 3 mentors I've gone to none have given me a single strike super. Just looked it up, guess I'll be hopping on the Hercule train if he shows.

Kay Kessler posted:

A quick tip, if you're doing sidequests as soon as you unlock them, you might want to wait til you're a few levels higher. Levels matter quite a bit in the game. Even though you're only given a few points per level to spend on stats, all your stats increase some as you level. How much each stat goes up depends on the race you picked.

I usually give the new ones a shot but I'm not fussed if I can't beat them. Didn't know all the stats go up, though, so thanks. Does that apply to the fixed characters too?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Gitro posted:

Trying to do a strike super character and out of the 3 mentors I've gone to none have given me a single strike super. Just looked it up, guess I'll be hopping on the Hercule train if he shows.

I usually give the new ones a shot but I'm not fussed if I can't beat them. Didn't know all the stats go up, though, so thanks. Does that apply to the fixed characters too?

The best strike super is the tornado one from Burter.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Thank you.

I have to grind it out if I want it, don't I :smith:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

The World Ends with You was a good JRPG that I liked that had a nice soundtrack to it but it's also a JRPG on a handheld gaming device which means no one would ever copy any ideas from it. Such has having a variety of songs that play in combat which keeps you from getting sick of the same theme if possible. Not everything can measure up to the Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga battle song. :v:

On the subject of TWEWY, the biggest thing I found missing from it was that despite there being multiple game mechanics linked to fashion, what you wear doesn't actually affect your characters' appearance. I guess development time or engine limitations meant they couldn't do that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Qwertycoatl posted:

On the subject of TWEWY, the biggest thing I found missing from it was that despite there being multiple game mechanics linked to fashion, what you wear doesn't actually affect your characters' appearance. I guess development time or engine limitations meant they couldn't do that.

I think they just didn't want to draw a million different fashions for your characters. What really drags TWEWY down: we'll never get a sequel.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Qwertycoatl posted:

Except for hats and assorted headgear in Ragnarok Online, I've never seen a sprite-based game change the character's appearance based on equipment. Animating sprites is costly.

Seconded. Slime Rancher is the cutest game in everything, but there isn't much to really do. I almost didn't want to refund it, but they really should have put in objectives and quests.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

HardDisk posted:

Except for hats and assorted headgear in Ragnarok Online, I've never seen a sprite-based game change the character's appearance based on equipment. Animating sprites is costly.

Diablo 2 did this back in 2000!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Diablo 2 did this back in 2000!

Those were renders of 3D models posed with the characters. :v:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprite_%28computer_graphics%29#Move_to_3D

Space Kablooey has a new favorite as of 16:41 on Feb 1, 2016

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Going through my backlog of games, I've been playing Dragon Age: Origins and two big things are really dragging it down: at least 70% of chests have a level 4 lock, and the difficulty seems to swing wildly between 'I can let my teammates run wild and never die' to 'Jesus this dwarf just took off half my HP with one swing'.

I've done the forest and am in Orzammar, and the game seems to assume that I will have a rogue with max lock picking (made available at level 12; both my rogues are 10) or that I will be willing to run through areas that I've cleared out just to unlock chests. And because you can only fast travel when you're at the outskirts of a major area, gently caress that it would take forever just to do a clean-up sweep.

I started the game on Normal but had to drop down to Easy, which sucks because Easy isn't always, well, easy. I murdered a dragon in a fun but somewhat simple fight, only to have four armored dwarves kick the poo poo out of my party not ten minutes later. I've played Baldur's Gate so I can understand making the player set up strategies for difficult fights, but man. At one point I was killed by a dwarf swinging an axe when my character was 30 feet away and my super scary and threat-generating Templar was stabbing said dwarf in the rear end. Strategy is hard to utilize when enemies just don't care and attack random party members for no real reason.

TL;DR: Lockpicking is stupid and enemies don't give a poo poo if your buff tank is in their faces, they'll just go mulch your inconspicuous healer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

QuietLion posted:

Going through my backlog of games, I've been playing Dragon Age: Origins and two big things are really dragging it down: at least 70% of chests have a level 4 lock, and the difficulty seems to swing wildly between 'I can let my teammates run wild and never die' to 'Jesus this dwarf just took off half my HP with one swing'.

I've done the forest and am in Orzammar, and the game seems to assume that I will have a rogue with max lock picking (made available at level 12; both my rogues are 10) or that I will be willing to run through areas that I've cleared out just to unlock chests. And because you can only fast travel when you're at the outskirts of a major area, gently caress that it would take forever just to do a clean-up sweep.

I started the game on Normal but had to drop down to Easy, which sucks because Easy isn't always, well, easy. I murdered a dragon in a fun but somewhat simple fight, only to have four armored dwarves kick the poo poo out of my party not ten minutes later. I've played Baldur's Gate so I can understand making the player set up strategies for difficult fights, but man. At one point I was killed by a dwarf swinging an axe when my character was 30 feet away and my super scary and threat-generating Templar was stabbing said dwarf in the rear end. Strategy is hard to utilize when enemies just don't care and attack random party members for no real reason.

TL;DR: Lockpicking is stupid and enemies don't give a poo poo if your buff tank is in their faces, they'll just go mulch your inconspicuous healer.

Orzammar is meant to be the last of the three main quest places you go to before the landsmeet, so that would probably explain the sudden ludicrous jump in difficulty. However, I'm on board with you regarding the difficulty curve (or perhaps rather wave). I recall going through Redcliffe just fine when I started up a new game, but suddenly adventuring in the back alleys of Denerim I was getting fed my own rear end by random thugs. Also, auto-leveling your companions in that game sucks because it will make your followers completely broken and worthless by ranking up poo poo they don't need. I was wondering why Alistair kept going down in two hits like a bitch, only to find upon checking his stats that the game had been giving him dexterity, and not once touching constitution. gently caress off DA he's supposed to be my tank.

Suppose it served me right for being lazy and choosing auto level, though.