Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
In today's Observer Dave and Bryan talk about "educational matches" in Japanese promotions (I think NOAH specifically). I remember it being in the context of injuries or botches or something like that. I don't think I fully understood what they meant by it, but it sounded interesting. I remember Dave saying that they were "meant to get the other stuff over". Were these "educational matches" ones with worked horrible botches to show potential dangers of "spot-fest" type matches and get people to appreciate the slower matches more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Can we get Satan incarnate tho?

If you can outbid his karaoke bookings, sure

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
I take it every time the camera cuts to anything, someone has made a decision there, right? Like these shows are directed in that sense. I'm just thinking of that time in 1998 somewhere when the camera lingered on a "JJ - Ain't He Gay?" sign for long enough to see it and take it in, and it got me thinking someone has to have had to made the decision to show that live to the world, right? It's not like now if something like that got on the screen it would be by accident.

Am I right in thinking Attitude-era WWF would have chosen to showcase signs like that?

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

King of the Ring? I was watching it last night and whilst I didn't notice the sign as I wasnt paying a huge amount of attention, King made mention of it, saying it over the commentary.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

freeranger posted:

King of the Ring? I was watching it last night and whilst I didn't notice the sign as I wasnt paying a huge amount of attention, King made mention of it, saying it over the commentary.

And there's another thing, he'd have been told by Vince to mention it, right?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

magnum_valentino posted:

And there's another thing, he'd have been told by Vince to mention it, right?

I want to say that 90s King and JR had a lot more freedom than modern announcers since they sounded a lot more natural. Of course in kings case "natural" tends to mean "shrill racist pervert" so it's not a 100% upgrade

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

magnum_valentino posted:

I take it every time the camera cuts to anything, someone has made a decision there, right? Like these shows are directed in that sense. I'm just thinking of that time in 1998 somewhere when the camera lingered on a "JJ - Ain't He Gay?" sign for long enough to see it and take it in, and it got me thinking someone has to have had to made the decision to show that live to the world, right? It's not like now if something like that got on the screen it would be by accident.

Am I right in thinking Attitude-era WWF would have chosen to showcase signs like that?

Attitude Era WWE was all about raunchy content, mostly in the form of misogynist angles, but also some gay-bashing when they could find the time (Goldust).

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Peak gross heel King was when he accused Goldust's IRL daughter who was like six years old of sleeping around

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Here's another.

There's a September 1998 episode of Raw where the camera cuts to a shot of Tori (Terri Poch) in a black suit in the front row of the audience during part of the never-ending Sable/Jackie feud. There's no acknowledgement of her onscreen or on commentary though, and I've read on Wikipedia that she didn't debut until months later.

You think they had planned to do something with her earlier or what was happening there?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Tori was Sable's stalker. They were doing establishing shots for the angle and kept on doing build towards her debut, but for reasons I can't remember the angle got delayed a wee bit, so there were weeks where she showed up in the crowd and weeks where she didn't.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Tori also had plastic surgery on her face IRL to make herself look like Sable - now that's dedication to an angle

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Thanks lads.

Crazy business with the surgery.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

oatgan posted:

Successful indie wrestlers aren't working triple shots for the same company week in and week out but they're travelling a lot and making a similar amount of dates.

WWE hasn't always been this crazy but western wrestling has been about gruelling schedules for years.

Writer Cath posted:

Don't forget that being in a state of near constant travel will take its toll as well. Hours cooped up in a car or on a plane, working a show, then repeating again and again.
First, I don't think indie workers are making a similar number of dates. WWE midcard-and-up guys are working 150-200 matches a year; based on looking at the history of guys like Punk and Bryan, I don't think indie guys are matching that. Second, I imagine that what indie wrestlers gain by working fewer dates, they lose to the fact that they have to manage their own booking and travel the way guys did in the old days, driving for hours after every show, and traveling much less comfortably and with fewer amenities than WWE wrestlers. They're also often working a high-impact style, with guys they don't get used to working with week after week.

Basic Chunnel posted:

The schedule might be less strenuous but the workrate is a lot different. They didn't go to broadway draws back in the day just because of better conditioning
Well, Flair had insane cardio. But yeah, one of the reasons that style of wrestling died is that a regular fan could tell in the first 10 minutes that they were planning on taking it broadway. There were way too many broadways with 20 minutes of headlocks and a double-count-out finish.

MassRafTer posted:

WWE's schedule is much lighter than it was in the 80s when wrestlers worked close to 300 matches a year. Now barely anyone does more than 200.
Did they really? I know nobody's records are perfect, especially looking at the pioneer era or anywhere outside the U.S., but wrestlingdata.com tracks house shows, and shows the top guys from the late 70s to early 90s wrestling from about 180-260 matches in their busiest year.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

magnum_valentino posted:

Thanks lads.

Crazy business with the surgery.

Goldust offered to get breast implants when he was doing the bondage gimmick but Vince said uh, no.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Goldust offered to get breast implants when he was doing the bondage gimmick but Vince said uh, no.

The only time in history Vince hasn't encouraged a talent to get a boob job.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Electric Lady posted:

In today's Observer Dave and Bryan talk about "educational matches" in Japanese promotions (I think NOAH specifically). I remember it being in the context of injuries or botches or something like that. I don't think I fully understood what they meant by it, but it sounded interesting. I remember Dave saying that they were "meant to get the other stuff over". Were these "educational matches" ones with worked horrible botches to show potential dangers of "spot-fest" type matches and get people to appreciate the slower matches more?

It was with regards to the length of main events in NOAH. It used to be that their main events were always 20-30 minutes long, to the point that the crowd learned this and stopped reaction to near falls or submissions early in the match. To try and fix this, they started throwing in main events that ended in six minutes. The fans learned that the early parts of matches could be when a main event ends, and then started reacting again.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Okay, I was WAY off, then. That makes more sense. I thought they were doing some kind of strange public-service-announcements or something. Thanks! =)

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Seams posted:

Peak gross heel King was when he accused Goldust's IRL daughter who was like six years old of sleeping around

That was just wishful thinking from the King

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Marquis de Pyro posted:

That was just wishful thinking from the King

Too old.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Jerry "The King" Lawler, the wrestler, painter, burger shill, and commentator, is a shorteyes diddler. That's the joke you see.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Jerry "The King" Lawler, the wrestler, painter, burger shill, and commentator, is a shorteyes diddler. That's the joke you see.

he fucks kids

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

I didn't know he wore glasses.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

One time, presumably while scanning the crowd for recent holes, Jerry Lawler died on the television. The Dolph Ziggler was never convicted.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

projecthalaxy posted:

Actually I was just saying that as a heel commentator, he would like it if a controversial and vile act occurred that he could gain heat from exploiting, but thanks for taking it to such a dark place. Disgusting.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jerry was recently in a car accident with his girlfriend, which led to the discovery that Jerry's girlfriend is roughly 30 years his junior.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Jerry was recently in a car accident with his girlfriend, which led to the discovery that Jerry's girlfriend is roughly 30 years his junior.

still the king

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

So shes 40?

E-Diddy
Mar 30, 2004
I'm both hot and bothered

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The wife and I were driving home after dinner that night and as we drove through the intersection I asked, "holy poo poo is that Jerry Lawler?"

Turns out yes. Yes it was.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

RaceyBucket posted:

So shes 40?

yeah so leave the king alone

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I have this memory gap in which I don't recall much of Brock Lesnar's first WWE run, but based on promotional stuff of the time frame, it looked like he was gonna be where Cena was I guess? Did he seem like he was going to be the guy that Cena ended up becoming had he not left that first time around?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Mercury Crusader posted:

I have this memory gap in which I don't recall much of Brock Lesnar's first WWE run, but based on promotional stuff of the time frame, it looked like he was gonna be where Cena was I guess? Did he seem like he was going to be the guy that Cena ended up becoming had he not left that first time around?

I stopped watching right around the time that they started the brand split, but from what I can tell Lesnar was never 1/10 the promo that Cena was even when he debuted, so I'm gonna say no probably not.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Cena really had everything they wanted, and it's amazing that they were going to release him until he wore a Vanilla Ice Halloween costume.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
mybe this is more a q for the meltz but, given that he's 'won' every accolade in this fake sport, was there ever any consideration to hunter beating undertaker during either of their later 2 matches? anyone know?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

ICHIBAHN posted:

mybe this is more a q for the meltz but, given that he's 'won' every accolade in this fake sport, was there ever any consideration to hunter beating undertaker during either of their later 2 matches? anyone know?
I've heard that he was supposed to go over at WM27, though I feel like that could just be hearsay repeated as fact over the years. That one near-fall made marks of us all.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Seams posted:

She was actually three.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

1st AD posted:

I stopped watching right around the time that they started the brand split, but from what I can tell Lesnar was never 1/10 the promo that Cena was even when he debuted, so I'm gonna say no probably not.

He was a lousy promo but they pretty much instantly gave him to Heyman and put the belt on him. He was also very quickly given his own Smackdown game, which up until then had been something reserved for the Rock.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
The long term plan was for Lesnar to be THE GUY, which was why his leaving in 2004 was so acrimonious. And he was pretty drat over from the time he won the title onward, so it would've been interesting to see where they would've gone with him had he not left.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

In WCW why was a group of spooky Mortal Kombat characters paired with some nerdy bald guy in a suit named James Vanderberg? Did they think his name and reputation were something demanding of respect?

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

ICHIBAHN posted:

I believe he was supposed to go over at WM17 (before the streak was really mentioned) but they were punishing him for vouching for Shawn when he came back all hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Minidust posted:

I've heard that he was supposed to go over at WM27, though I feel like that could just be hearsay repeated as fact over the years. That one near-fall made marks of us all.

I've heard 17, before the streak was really a thing.

e - goddammit