Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Not a big meat fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Max posted:

Not a big meat fan.

How could you possibly hope to overthrow capitalism on beans alone!?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Max posted:

I'm going on a business trip to San Antonio. What things should I do there. I have little interest in seeing the Alamo.

go to austin instead

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Max posted:

I'm going on a business trip to San Antonio. What things should I do there. I have little interest in seeing the Alamo.

The Alamo is literally the worst, but I would really encourage you to seek out the other Spanish Missions around the city if you have any interest in history.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/43oc1z/xcom_2_review_thread/

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Max posted:

When I went there the hotel I stayed at had a mall attached that had an arcade with the TMNT arcade game which was pretty awesome. That said, it was 1992 and I was 12, so ymmv.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Kashuno posted:

go to austin instead

Business trip, not an option, sadly.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

I'm really sad that I'm probably going to pay full price for this game. :(

I think the standard price point for major games really needs to drop back down to about 40 bucks from the 60 bucks it's been sitting at for years.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Max you should go to the Alamo anyway. I heard the basement is spectacular.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Max posted:

Go to Lulu's and get the cinnamon roll the size of a cinder block.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

TMMadman posted:

I'm really sad that I'm probably going to pay full price for this game. :(

I think the standard price point for major games really needs to drop back down to about 40 bucks from the 60 bucks it's been sitting at for years.

Video games were like 50 bucks 20 years ago.

60 bucks is pretty reasonable, really.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I have a pretty hard price cap at $20 these days, but I don't buy new games anymore. I would only really buy a valve game at full price launch day at this point.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Asiina posted:

I have a pretty hard price cap at $20 these days, but I don't buy new games anymore. I would only really buy a valve game at full price launch day at this point.

Yeah 20-25 bucks is usually my hard cap too. Mostly because I often get bored with games quickly. I'm still probably going to buy X-Com 2 at 60 bucks. :(

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm not going to buy poo poo because I just found out my direct deposit information got hosed up and I'm not going to get paid for another two weeks at least. This is what we call "not good."

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Allen Wren posted:

I'm not going to buy poo poo because I just found out my direct deposit information got hosed up and I'm not going to get paid for another two weeks at least. This is what we call "not good."

Umm can't you just get a regular check and then start DD next pay period?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

TMMadman posted:

Umm can't you just get a regular check and then start DD next pay period?

I have no idea! I'm going to try and find out when I get to work today. I imagine they're going to tell me "well, they already sent out the direct deposit to this old-rear end dead account number, then we have to wait three weeks for the bank to confirm that it bounced, and then we can look at cutting you a replacement blah blah blah"

Working for the government sucks sometimes.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Allen Wren posted:

I have no idea! I'm going to try and find out when I get to work today. I imagine they're going to tell me "well, they already sent out the direct deposit to this old-rear end dead account number, then we have to wait three weeks for the bank to confirm that it bounced, and then we can look at cutting you a replacement blah blah blah"

Working for the government sucks sometimes.

Well I'm going to guess that you'll have a check by the end of today. Maybe tomorrow at the latest. Not getting paid on time is taken seriously by most places, including the government. Maybe even more so when it comes to the government.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Eh, it depends. When I first started my government job it took us almost 6 weeks to get paid, and we had to have the union lean on HR to get off their asses and process us.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Asiina posted:

Eh, it depends. When I first started my government job it took us almost 6 weeks to get paid, and we had to have the union lean on HR to get off their asses and process us.

Yeah, but you're Canadian. :v:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure government workers are unionized in the US too.

If it becomes a problem, send an email to your representative.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Our problem was that we were working the evening shift so we started as the regular shift ended, so there was never anybody working we could talk to. We were waiting weeks and weeks to get paid, and some people even did this optional emergency advance, where they are supposed to give you a cheque within 48 hours that would be taken off your next pay, but even people who applied for that weren't getting it.

I talked to the president of the local, who talked to the director of HR and found that what had happened is that the person who usually cut those advance cheques was on vacation so they just never got processed.

They had cheques for people the next day and we got our regular pay the next payday.

Unions are good and will help you!

This is no way biases my story, but full disclosure the president of the local is my mom :3:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

CCKeane posted:

Reminder that the best game of all time is still Bebe's Kids for the SNES.

world record attempt coming soon

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Asiina posted:

Our problem was that we were working the evening shift so we started as the regular shift ended, so there was never anybody working we could talk to. We were waiting weeks and weeks to get paid, and some people even did this optional emergency advance, where they are supposed to give you a cheque within 48 hours that would be taken off your next pay, but even people who applied for that weren't getting it.

I talked to the president of the local, who talked to the director of HR and found that what had happened is that the person who usually cut those advance cheques was on vacation so they just never got processed.

They had cheques for people the next day and we got our regular pay the next payday.

Unions are good and will help you!

This is no way biases my story, but full disclosure the president of the local is my mom :3:

I'm already a member from my previous service, so, yeah, if things get really hosed, I can have my rep lean on some people, but I'm going to at least see what normal channels can do for me first (as in "If I don't get some traction by the end of the night, I'm probably going to talk to the union.")

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien
Tinder is annoying. Too many babes not enough time

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Kashuno posted:

That is exciting! I bought PC disk version for the Amazon discount.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Little Mac posted:

That is exciting! I bought PC disk version for the Amazon discount.

Can't you also just pull the code, use it on Steam and then get a refund?

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien
Does anyone know about laptop repair? Or computer hardware repair? I replaced the fan in my laptop and then when I went to test it I found out that the part I ordered from China was bad. When I was putting in the old fan a connector broke. I want to know how to fix it or if I hosed everything up

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

TMMadman posted:

Can't you also just pull the code, use it on Steam and then get a refund?

That would be unscrupulous. And I have... scruples.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I don't buy new games anymore since I have so many in the back log to beat that I can just deal and wait for a sale, especially since most of my games come exclusively from Steam these days. The rare 3DS game I have (4 total) are the only real new games I buy and I won't be doing that often let alone again for the time being.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This is a Rarity Public Service Announcement.

Watch Galavant.

Thank you.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CCKeane posted:

Video games were like 50 bucks 20 years ago.

60 bucks is pretty reasonable, really.

Too many good games come out these days way cheaper than what we were used to paying for AAA games.

A lovely PC used to be like $1500, does that mean that if the price was $1600 today that would be fine? I understand that the cost of AAA games will not go down, but I do agree that it makes sense to say $50 for a game is too much when we all know that by the next steam sale it will be 66% off.

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien
If you guys want a good show to check out on netflix check out detectorists

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

MG2 posted:

Does anyone know about laptop repair? Or computer hardware repair? I replaced the fan in my laptop and then when I went to test it I found out that the part I ordered from China was bad. When I was putting in the old fan a connector broke. I want to know how to fix it or if I hosed everything up

did you break off the prongs that were on the motherboard or did you break something on the fan? If you broke the prongs on your motherboard it will probably be cheaper to buy a new laptop than to repair it

assuming there isn't another connector on your current board

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
first google result

"An NES game in 1990 cost, on average, about $50. That's $89 in 2013 money. Your $70 N64 cartridges in 1998 would require the equivalent of $100 today."

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

first google result

"An NES game in 1990 cost, on average, about $50. That's $89 in 2013 money. Your $70 N64 cartridges in 1998 would require the equivalent of $100 today."

I remember Mortal Kombat games for SNES retailing at $70US at launch in the 90s

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I kinda miss cartridges.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

JakeP posted:

Too many good games come out these days way cheaper than what we were used to paying for AAA games.

A lovely PC used to be like $1500, does that mean that if the price was $1600 today that would be fine? I understand that the cost of AAA games will not go down, but I do agree that it makes sense to say $50 for a game is too much when we all know that by the next steam sale it will be 66% off.

Yes,I think complaining about the price of something when the cost remains static and inflation is a thing is a bit off.

Yes, prices can drop as a result of improved logistics and manufacturing costs, but a 20% increase after 20 years is pretty good, ultimately.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Games were better back then though

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

kaschei posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubsy_3D

Twenty years ago this November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

kaschei posted:

There is a guy who makes his entire living off of bad old games.