Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Gynovore posted:

I agree here. Unless you have a $5000 liquid-cooled gaming "rig" and the reflexes of a hyper-caffienated 14 year old, you'll make a lot more shots in VATS than you do hipfire.

Or you could just pop some psychojet and use the power armor mod that highlights targets. Comedy option: use an explosive minigun and lay waste to the entire area in front of you in a matter of seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Don't most people use vats so you can drop out of vats with the target lined up and pull the trigger so you don't waste vats points?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

captain innocuous posted:

I want a mod that removes all of the terrible story missions, and just spits me out of the vault. You are free to do any of the radiant missions if you want, and you can go explore the wasteland. That, to me, would be the game at its best. I would really only play F4 again to shoot raiders and play minecraft-lite.

There's a Skyrim mod called Live Another Life that does exactly this and gives you a bunch of backgrounds to choose from that determine your starting location/gear/faction friendliness. I'm hoping a version gets made for Fallout 4.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
VATS is incredibly useful for finding mines and dormant feral ghouls. :colbert:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

VATS is awesome because it still has that cam that zooms in on the bullet as it slams into some poor fool's face and makes his/her/its head explode.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

ulmont posted:

Yes. You can find Deacon in a number of random places around the Commonwealth before you ever meet the Railroad, and that's one of them. He's spying.

THAT rear end in a top hat :mad:

xxEightxx posted:

Don't most people use vats so you can drop out of vats with the target lined up and pull the trigger so you don't waste vats points?

I usually only use it when I'm trying to line up my sight to a huge sloppy pile of ghouls, because they like writhing around on the ground around your feet like loving idiot children.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Deacon has to be a synth right? Because the things his say and his mannerisms are more modern day then any other character. Hell he talks about the Consitution being there for Tax Evasion purposes, taxes haven't even exist for 200 years that's not a joke anyone from that timeframe would know to make.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

socialsecurity posted:

Deacon has to be a synth right? Because the things his say and his mannerisms are more modern day then any other character. Hell he talks about the Consitution being there for Tax Evasion purposes, taxes haven't even exist for 200 years that's not a joke anyone from that timeframe would know to make.

I'm fairly certain that most large settlements have some form of tax. the NCR certainly did and he has travelled a lot.

Plus if you highlight him with the console. He doesn't have the synth marker that other synths like Gloria, Danse and the Mayor has.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I am stuck towards the end of the game I was working for the Railroad to get inside of the Institute. I have done bunker hill, sided with the Railroad and let the Synths go. I had basically no contact with the brotherhood of steel throughout the game so I betrayed them doing the mass fusion quest which is fine. I got to the point where Father asks me to kill Desdemona. I don't want to do this obviously because I am siding with the railroad. I went and told her and she basically said "oh man that sucks this is progressing fast." Then sent me on some mission to kill a courser. I did that mission and came back and now I don't have any dialog with her. The only missions I have is one radiant mission for PAM to kill a courser, Prestons crap, and Kill Desdemona and the Undercover Railroad mission to free the synths that just says keep working with Father. Is this some kind of bug or am I overlooking something?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Gynovore posted:

I agree here. Unless you have a $5000 liquid-cooled gaming "rig" and the reflexes of a hyper-caffienated 14 year old, you'll make a lot more shots in VATS than you do hipfire.

I did a low perception run with rifles. One shot to the chest is all it takes, especially if they don't know you're there(actually 30 meters away).
I only use vats on stingwings now.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
So in my first game I took two ranks of ammo scrounger early on, and in my current game I only took one, and I'm level 50 and regretting it, because gently caress I am going through fusion cells like crazy, even as a sniper. My combat rifle is pretty badass - does more damage than a missile launcher - but it doesn't have good range like my laser rifle.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I am stuck towards the end of the game

I had this happen to me as well. I think it was because I went and killed everyone in the brotherhood which locked me out of a certain quest or something.

I just ended up siding with the institute and finishing the game that way

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

captain innocuous posted:

The same thing happens with the institute. I found a terminal that listed all of the institute spies, including trashcan carla but I couldn't do anything about it.
That list had basically all of the caravan leaders, so I don't think they were specifically meant to be Institute spies, just people who'd pass news along for some cash.

But you also have bits like Mr. Warwick being a synth or basically everything in Quincy that never go anywhere.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm not sure how I feel about some of the synth revelations, like I just found out that (post-game spoiler) McDonough really is a synth as Piper said all along. It's like it's trying emulate some of the more ambiguous parts of Electric Sheep, only there isn't much in the way of additional commentary to go with it.

How is Cait the only person left with a strong Irish accent? It's like when Zoe Bell turned up in New Vegas with her very distinct New Zealander voice.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Anyone else just get a patch?

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Alabaster White posted:

Anyone else just get a patch?

YEP!
https://bethesda.net/?utm_source=tw...e/2016/02/01/70

quote:

New Features

New ambient occlusion setting, HBAO+ (PC)
New weapon debris effects (PC NVIDIA cards)
Added status menu for settlers in your settlements
Added ability to rotate an object you are holding with left/right triggers and pressing down on left thumbstick lets you switch the rotating axis
Improved "ESDF" keys remapping support while in Workshop mode (PC)

Gameplay Fixes

General memory and stability improvements
Improved performance when looking through a scope
Fixed issue where player could warp to a different location when aiming
Companions can no longer get stuck with radiation poisoning
Fixed an issue where Vault 81 residents would not dismember correctly
Big Leagues perk now displays calculated damage correctly
Fixed issue with third person camera not displaying properly after exiting certain crafting stations
Fixed an issue where subtitles would occasionally not update properly
Effects will properly be removed on companions when items are unequipped
MacReady’s Killshot perk now calculates headshot percentages properly
Fixed an issue with NPCs getting stuck in Power Armor
Fixed a rare issue with companions getting stuck in down state
Second rank of Aquaboy now calculates properly
Fixed an issue with resistance not always lowering the damage correctly when added by mods
Enabled number of characters available when renaming an item (XB1)
Fixed issue with player becoming dismembered while still alive
Robotics expert is now usable in combat
Stimpaks can now be used on Curie after the transformation
Playing a holotape found in wilderness while switching point of view no longer causes the screen to blur or controls to be locked

Quest Fixes

Fixed an issue with "Taking Independence" where the minutemen remaining from the battle against the Mirelurk Queen would not gather in the Castle
Fixed an issue where invulnerable characters would get stuck in combat
Fixed an issue where Preston would send player to a settlement instead of a dungeon as part of a Minutemen quest
Fixed an issue where Synths could attack the Castle while the player was friends with the Institute
Fixed an issue where killing a caravan would leave a quest open
Fixed an issue where Dogmeat would stay at Fort Hagen after "Reunions" was completed
Fixed an issue where the player couldn't talk to Desdemona to complete "Underground Undercover"
Fixed an issue where the player could get stuck exiting the cryopod
Fixed an issue where the player could no longer get Preston as a companion
In "The End of the Line," fixed an issue that would prevent the player from killing the leaders of the Railroad
Fixed an issue with Minutemen quests repeating improperly
Fixed an issue where the player couldn't get back into the Railroad headquarters after being kicked out of the Brotherhood of Steel
After finishing "The Big Dig," fixed an issue where Hancock would no longer offer to be a companion or help with the "Silver Shroud" quest
Fixed an issue with obtaining the Dampening Coils from Saugus Ironworks before going to Yangtze
During "Unlikely Valentine," fixed an issue where the player could be blocked from entering Vault 114
In "Confidence Man," Bull and Gouger can now be killed
During "Taking Independence," fixed an issue that would prevent the radio transmitter from powering up
In "Human Error," fixed an issue where killing Dan would cause the quest to not complete properly
Fixed an issue with "Tactical Thinking" where leaving dialogue early with Captain Kells to reprogram P.A.M. could cause quest to not completely properly

Workshop Fixes

Fixed a bug that would cause settler counts to appear incorrectly
Fixed an issue that could prevent the player from setting up a supply line in settlements with a high population
Improvements to snapping pieces together while in Workshop mode
Fixed an issue that caused powered items to stop functioning permanently if its power source was ever removed
Player can now build workbenches in their Diamond City house
Building wires no longer uses up copper
Fixed issue with certain settlement attacks not generating properly
Fixed an issue with settlement happiness calculations
Settlers assigned to weapons stand will now stand next to it
Diamond City house now shows provided power
Repairing items will now correctly consume resources
Fixed an issue where companion would ignore commands at workshop locations
Fixed an issue with crops appearing destroyed after saving and reloading

Svanja fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 1, 2016

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
I just got the game a few days ago and I'm enjoying a bit I guess. It feels really different from Fallout New Vegas and 3 with the whole speech thing but is there any way to reallocate points? I wish I had put more into Charisma. I'm failing speech checks at the orange level sometimes.

It kinda sucks. I'm used to just maxing out charisma and getting 100 percent speech checks in New Vegas.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

socialsecurity posted:

A dude posted:

I'm fairly certain that most large settlements have some form of tax. the NCR certainly did and he has travelled a lot.

In Tradecraft, he talks about the HQ having mines, turrets "and other fabulous prizes". There hasn't been a game show in 200 years.

Still I doubt the Institute could sneak a synth spy into the Railroad, so... more Bethesda :effort:, I guess.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
That looks like the existing beta patch(es), just getting pushed out to everyone else.

Where IS that "settler menu", though? I haven't been able to find anything except the indicators when you look at them in build mode that show which jobs they're assigned to.

Gynovore posted:

In Tradecraft, he talks about the HQ having mines, turrets "and other fabulous prizes". There hasn't been a game show in 200 years.
He also has some dialogue at some point about having seen things in movies. Who would have something like that in the Commonwealth?

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Where IS that "settler menu", though? I haven't been able to find anything except the indicators when you look at them in build mode that show which jobs they're assigned to.

I thought that icon was 'it', but it is worded like there's more to it in the patch notes. :confused:

SurelyForth
May 21, 2007

Gynovore posted:

Still I doubt the Institute could sneak a synth spy into the Railroad, so... more Bethesda :effort:, I guess.

In this case I'm almost 100% positive it's not Bethesda being lazy because Deacon is meant to be a confusing character- aside from his endless supply of anachronistic comments, there's banter in Railroad HQ about who he really is and Tinker Tom has a theory that he's a time-traveler. And it's not like there aren't any sources for information on old world culture- there are enough magazines, comic books, and non destroyed book books (not to mention pre-war ghouls) that anyone could learn a great deal about more generic aspects of American life circa 2077 if they were willing and able to.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
About Deacon,

Doesn't he just tell you he is a synth, and he gives you a code to reset him so he goes back to his old personality. He said I could use it if I needed some info on the Institute that no one else could get(or is he playing a joke on me?). I think it was after I got a certain level of affinity with him. I love the guy though and his every changing clothes. I put him in a tuxedo and gave him the Deliverer, so now he is one suave motherfucker. Glory and him are making me want to go Railroad, but I'm waffling between the sides forever now, and I'm level 50 already.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

AgentHaiTo posted:

About Deacon,

Doesn't he just tell you he is a synth, and he gives you a code to reset him so he goes back to his old personality. He said I could use it if I needed some info on the Institute that no one else could get(or is he playing a joke on me?). I think it was after I got a certain level of affinity with him. I love the guy though and his every changing clothes. I put him in a tuxedo and gave him the Deliverer, so now he is one suave motherfucker. Glory and him are making me want to go Railroad, but I'm waffling between the sides forever now, and I'm level 50 already.

Did you at least read the note?

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

AgentHaiTo posted:

About Deacon,

The Deliverer is alright I guess, but I personally find that the only true match for a tuxedo is a Fat Man.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So did they ever re-enable mod support? I haven't played since that first patch.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 1, 2016

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Zephyrine posted:

Did you at least read the note?

I hadn't because I was worried it would trigger some kind of dialog with him. I put it away in a box somewhere, so I wouldn't accidentally read it. I guess it's a prank then?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

So did they ever re-enable mod support? I haven't played since that first patch.

There's a work-around. I am all updated and use mods, I just can't remember what I did.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

AgentHaiTo posted:

I hadn't because I was worried it would trigger some kind of dialog with him. I put it away in a box somewhere, so I wouldn't accidentally read it. I guess it's a prank then?

Yeah he's loving with you. You've got to read the note to him to progress his affinity, it's a really lovely thing to do if you think he's telling the truth!

Luckily he doesn't give a poo poo either way and just laughs at you for trusting him.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

eating only apples posted:

Yeah he's loving with you. You've got to read the note to him to progress his affinity, it's a really lovely thing to do if you think he's telling the truth!

Luckily he doesn't give a poo poo either way and just laughs at you for trusting him.

You don't have to read the note. Once he reaches the next affinity level he will ask you if you read the note and then you can say "yes" or "no" regardless of if you read it or not.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Zephyrine posted:

You don't have to read the note. Once he reaches the next affinity level he will ask you if you read the note and then you can say "yes" or "no" regardless of if you read it or not.

Oh, he got stuck in a loop for me and wouldn't talk about anything but the note until I read it to him, so I just assumed.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

quote:

MacReady’s Killshot perk now calculates headshot percentages properly

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

It really bothers me that this game only has like 20 side quests, not including Preston and the other radiant bullshit.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Bah, I should have known Deacon was pulling my leg. It makes me like him all the more though. He seems a lot less whiny than some of the others, but maybe he has some deep, dark past he will eventually come out and tell me about.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

drat, according to the patch notes they fixed MacReady’s Killshot perk.

:(

Now I'm going to need a lot more ammo.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gynovore posted:

Maybe he talked to that one robot in Graygarden.

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
Are there certain companions that are better to bring along on story quests for :my immersion: ? Will I get a better dialogue exchange using Nick for the main story, Danse for BOS quests, Deacon for RR? Or do all companions have similarly detailed responses to quest events?

Id like to have more variety in who I bring along on quests, but feel I will miss out on additional background story due to one particular companion being associated with that storyline.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Here's where I'm at with my game right now, in case anyone's curious haha - oh and this is all on the Xbox One.

I went high intelligence and high charisma from the outset, so I've always been getting a lot of XP for the leveling I do. After something like 9 days of play time (according to my save file. holy poo poo) I'm sitting midway through being level 76. I've mostly gotten to that point from crafting lots of chems, weapons, armor, and building settlements. I've been using the exploit of putting on max-CHA clothing/hat/glasses and popping drugs to get my charisma to like 24. The idea being that I'm building up about five settlements into enormous, awesome fortress-states and sending everyone to those. It's cool having like 30 people living in one of your towns, because it enables you to actually assign jobs out to be done at defense points and shops. I've mostly abandoned or scrapped everything else, included Sanctuary. It was embarrassing to go back there and Red Rocket and have to put up with my early attempts at base-building. I was actually using junk fences. Derp.

I've also been using the exploit of storing guns into my workshops to far-exceed the build limits of the settlements I'm focusing on. Learning I could do that made settlement building a lot more fun for me and that's basically all I do now, with some random walking around and exploring and fighting. That being said, I'm starting to get concerned about what might happen to my settlements if Bethesda patches that gun/workshop glitch.

Having played the game quite extensively by now, I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the way INT and CHA stats actually mattered. In previous Fallout games, high or low levels of those two areas actually affected your dialogue choices and made things like Mentats actually matter. There were various points in the game where I struggled to understand why Mentats were even available, because all the skill checks aren't relevant anymore.

I'm also curious to see how they're going to address the fact that the removal of a level cap means I might be loading up future DLC with a level 80 demigod.

Sidenotes:

I sided with The Institute. Was originally working with the Railroad but I "roleplayed" that meeting my son changed my mind about things, and I gave them a shot. I was disappointed that the white paint you unlock through them only works on one kind of power armor. Same goes for the paintjob limits of all the factions. I was disappointed that my taking over the Institute didn't allow me to change their attitude towards synths and other things at all. Felt a little hollow.

I completely avoided working with the Brotherhood of Steel for almost my entire game, and never used Codsworth or Curie or Dogmeat as companions. If I do wind up creating an alt character, I'm going to make a fascist BoS sympathizer that mostly sneaks and uses Melee/Unarmed attacks. It can be tempting to just make one ultimate character who does literally everything in these games, but I'm glad I left myself some unplayed content.

Finding a legendary Gauss Rifle that fires explosive rounds has been game-changing.

Filling up the Strong Back perk and being able to fast-travel while overencumbered has been game-changing.

What's the deal with like 1/3 of the map being water that does nothing and serves no obvious purpose? I remember reading this game was going to be like 5x bigger than Skyrim and it doesn't really seem that way. Even stranger is how all the underwater areas are fairly well-decorated with junk and poo poo.

What's the deal with modding this on the Xbox One? Have they announced any information about how it will work yet? I have a really nice gaming PC and I'm a little sad I didn't buy this for PC instead, just because I think I'd be able to handle the eventual graphics mods that would make it look amazing. My guess is the Xbox mods will be heavily regulated to avoid breaking people's consoles.

If someone figured out a tool for converting my Xbox save games into PC files, I'd mail them money.

AwkwardKnob fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 1, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm kinda confused about how so many people are quickly comparing this game to Fallout3. It came out 8 years ago, I've played it for 6 months and then forgot about the stupid thing. Do you people still play it or something? Or is your memory that good?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

AwkwardKnob posted:

What's the deal with like 1/3 of the map being water that does nothing and serves no obvious purpose? I remember reading this game was going to be like 5x bigger than Skyrim and it doesn't really seem that way. Even stranger is how all the underwater areas are fairly well-decorated with junk and poo poo.

I think it has something to do with the geography of real-life Boston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Skyrim benefited from the map design, which allowed them to break up the terrain with giant mountains that helped make the world feel a lot larger than it was, while allowing more diverse environments in the different holds. Fallout 4 only has three truly different environments-rural, urban, and the Glowing Sea-and few major map barriers that force the player to take the long way around. Like Clawson said, a lot of this has to do with the real-life topography of Boston-they're only so much you can do in an area that's even halfway consistent to reality.

• Locked thread