Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Thanks. There's $50 off right now for the gold 6p, which only goes up to 64. I don't really care what color my phone is, as I'll put a non-clear case on it, and being surprised with $50 off a purchase I was making anyway was nice.

FYI, there's also $50 off all the 5xs too. I think it's a Valentine's Day thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Ffycchi posted:

Nexus 5x

Yes...That is 11 hours with my screen on.

What witchcraft is this? My battery is at 20% after 4:45 on the screen. This is with brightness at the low end of the scale. No other apps either other than chrome and Google now.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Applied for Project Fi. Really excited about this. I've got the $30 T-Mob goon plan right now, but I want the hugephone gold and don't want to shell out the clams in one LUMP sum. Please pray for me, and send your genofixed persuasive mind-energies to Sundar. Bless.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
Is anyone else's compass absolute bullshit? Was getting really frustrated trying to do some city walking today.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
My moral compass is hosed up

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Tots posted:

Is anyone else's compass absolute bullshit? Was getting really frustrated trying to do some city walking today.

I used it for the first time the other day, and yes it was basically useless. It would occasionally get on track then it would wander off again. It seems like if you hold it upright in front of you and walk around like that it works, but if you want to just reference it every once and a while, as soon as you drop it to your side or put it in your pocket you completely disorient it

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

greasyhands posted:

I used it for the first time the other day, and yes it was basically useless. It would occasionally get on track then it would wander off again. It seems like if you hold it upright in front of you and walk around like that it works, but if you want to just reference it every once and a while, as soon as you drop it to your side or put it in your pocket you completely disorient it

I agree. This is the first thing about the 6p that has annoyed me. I am on a trip to London + Geneva this week and city walking is a loving chore no matter what app I use for it. I finally pulled out my work-provided iPhone 6 as a reserve because...goddamn. Hopefully it is something they can fix - I submitted a bug.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I've not owned an android phone where the compass worked and I've had Android phones starting with the G1.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
I've never owned an android phone where the compass functional. I am wondering if that is an OS problem or if the hardware doesn't really support it.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Compass works fine on my nexus 4 ...

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

My situation:

Currently on Verizon Edge plan with my wife. We get a 25% discount from work, and between paying for 2 phones payments monthly, plus the share everything plan with 6GB data my bill is still over $160.

Caveat: To get off of Verizon (for just myself, wife would remain) I have to pay $400~ to buyout the remaining balance on my phone. And in addition to this I'd have to hope that Google Fi's credit check is lenient enough for me to get approved for monthly payments on the Nexus 6P.

Now, I can probably sell the Note 4 for $150-200 I'd assume so that makes it a cheap roundabout way of buying a Nexus 6P. I just wonder if it's worth the hassle.

I currently personally only use about 1-2GB a month at most. So I know I'd have a low bill even with monthly phone payments.

Reasoning behind wanting to switch:

I really want Marshmallow and timely OS updates, and I'm tired of bloatware.

Anyone have any thoughts or input? I am bad at making decisions like this if you couldn't tell.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
How's the Tmo/Sprint coverage in your area?

Also I did some lovely fuzzy math and it'll probably take you about 2 years to break even financially from this decision.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

withoutclass posted:

How's the Tmo/Sprint coverage in your area?

Also I did some lovely fuzzy math and it'll probably take you about 2 years to break even financially from this decision.

Sprint is rear end, but I mean that's Sprint in general. T-Mobile is good.

When you say break even, what do you mean?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The amount of time it takes for the money you saved after switching to be greater than the up front cost of switching.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Ranter posted:

The amount of time it takes for the money you saved after switching to be greater than the up front cost of switching.

So because I am dumb..which one is better savings?

To be honest I am not 100% worried of the savings, more so is it worth it to go through all of this to be on a phone that contains no bloatware and instant OS updates?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Obscurity posted:

So because I am dumb..which one is better savings?

To be honest I am not 100% worried of the savings, more so is it worth it to go through all of this to be on a phone that contains no bloatware and instant OS updates?

Carrier Android phones are literally garbage and Nexus phones are the only Androids worth buying. There are zero exceptions to this rule and there are no edge cases.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Smythe posted:

Carrier Android phones are literally garbage and Nexus phones are the only Androids worth buying. There are zero exceptions to this rule and there are no edge cases.

That's what I needed to hear! I'll probably make the switch whenever I finally get my invite. :)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
You don't have to be on Fi to use a Nexus. You could, if you really wanted, use a 5x/6p on Verizon.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Ranter posted:

You don't have to be on Fi to use a Nexus. You could, if you really wanted, use a 5x/6p on Verizon.

Right but I'd have to spend 500+ on the Nexus 6P on top of what I'm already paying for my phone on Verizon, or I'd have to do the buyout option making it cost even more. The cheapest route up front is to just buyout and sell the note 4. It's a net loss of 200 vs. a net loss of at least 500.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Please also factor in that you are buying another $500 phone to replace the phone you already have. Yes you may only be paying that cost over 2 years, but you're paying for these devices either way.

Edit: This also assumes you'd not get tired of that phone and want a brand new phone before the 2ish years it'll take to break even.

withoutclass fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 2, 2016

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Another option is to buyout your carrier device now, and then use the money from that to buy (in full) a Nexus 6, and use Fi with that. N6 have been going on deep discounts a lot lately-like $250 for a brand new one was pretty common. It's still a couple hundred extra but it's certainly cheaper (upfront and long term) than buying a 6P and you'll break even faster.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
How are you guys doing in situations where you're just barely seeing a tower, but on good wifi? I have a nexus 5x, noticing that when the phone loses and is trying to reconnect to a tower, (which is my in home situation) even though the wifi connection is fine that even will crash applications and screw with phone calls. It's as if the phone is prioritizing bad tower connection over perfectly decent wifi connection. For instance, if I have facebook running, and I get the tower reconnect event, facebook loses its ability to see the fb servers anymore. Have to close out the app and restart to get my data pipe back. Wacky. While other apps might just outright crash and I have to restart.

Using a netgear ac1900 router, just in case thats got known issues. I only mention that because I know past netgear routers had firewall issues with voip stuff. Internet is good here otherwise. Thanks for helping me track down the gremlins in this one!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
There was an article out yesterday about how shitawful the Facebook and messenger apps are, draining battery and impacting performance of all other apps on Android. I uninstalled them and my phone seems snappier. Using an alternative app now instead (it delivers the Facebook web based app through a low resource intensive app complete with notifications).

Maybe it's completely unrelated, but try removing Facebook?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Ranter posted:

Using an alternative app now instead (it delivers the Facebook web based app through a low resource intensive app complete with notifications).

What's the name of the app?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Metal.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
I'll give that a shot. Probably won't fix my other app crashing issues, but it will improve Facebook usage for sure.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Welp got invite and checked if I can get payments option and my credit sucks too much. Back to square one.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
If you have bad credit and can't afford to buy the phone outright, perhaps also throwing away $400 on your current phone isn't a wise idea?

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Ranter posted:

If you have bad credit and can't afford to buy the phone outright, perhaps also throwing away $400 on your current phone isn't a wise idea?

I mean, I am using income tax for this so it's not a matter of what I can afford. I could buy the phone out right. I just wanted a way out of my current Edge contract in the process. No need to have two phone lines for one person. v:shobon:v

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Obscurity posted:

I mean, I am using income tax for this so it's not a matter of what I can afford. I could buy the phone out right. I just wanted a way out of my current Edge contract in the process. No need to have two phone lines for one person. v:shobon:v

:ughh:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Obscurity posted:

I mean, I am using income tax for this so it's not a matter of what I can afford. I could buy the phone out right.
Perhaps don't race to spend your tax return on Fi or in SA-Mart, and instead try to shore up whatever's going on with your personal finance situation that has you getting declined for a $700 payment plan.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Dumb mistakes from when I was younger that are slowly going away/failing off. Oh well thanks for help all.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

pass the butter posted:

How are you guys doing in situations where you're just barely seeing a tower, but on good wifi? I have a nexus 5x, noticing that when the phone loses and is trying to reconnect to a tower, (which is my in home situation) even though the wifi connection is fine that even will crash applications and screw with phone calls. It's as if the phone is prioritizing bad tower connection over perfectly decent wifi connection. For instance, if I have facebook running, and I get the tower reconnect event, facebook loses its ability to see the fb servers anymore. Have to close out the app and restart to get my data pipe back. Wacky. While other apps might just outright crash and I have to restart.

Using a netgear ac1900 router, just in case thats got known issues. I only mention that because I know past netgear routers had firewall issues with voip stuff. Internet is good here otherwise. Thanks for helping me track down the gremlins in this one!

I have a netgear ac1900 and it works fine for me, but I think I'm in range of a tower too. Make sure to contact them and report it as a bug!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I ordered a nexus 5x a few days ago and decided to sign up for Fi, had to jump some hoops because I'm currently living in a territory instead of a state proper so Fi cant be bought from here although by all accounts everyone mentions it works just fine in like 95% of the island.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
Well I ordered my mother a nexus 5x last week. It comes in and less than a day later it's dead. Won't charge, won't turn on. So I go over there and fiddle with it and realize t his thing is not working. I call Fi customer support. Well, I get in the queue. Someone calls back in 30 seconds. In 15 minutes they've decided A) it's not repairable and B) they are OVERNIGHTING her a new unit. My mother, who had been with ATT for like 14 years, was damned impressed. Hopefully the new one that comes in today will not be messed up.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Darkpriest667 posted:

Well I ordered my mother a nexus 5x last week. It comes in and less than a day later it's dead. Won't charge, won't turn on. So I go over there and fiddle with it and realize t his thing is not working. I call Fi customer support. Well, I get in the queue. Someone calls back in 30 seconds. In 15 minutes they've decided A) it's not repairable and B) they are OVERNIGHTING her a new unit. My mother, who had been with ATT for like 14 years, was damned impressed. Hopefully the new one that comes in today will not be messed up.

Sucks that it died so suddenly, but yeah, Google's hardware support is pretty amazing. When my Nexus 4 battery crapped out over a year ago, they RMA'd it and shipped me a new Nexus 5 because they apparently just ran out of Nexus 4's in their warehouse. (This was a few months before Nexus 6 was a thing.)

I was expecting a refurb Nexus 4 from all the correspondence they sent me, so that was a neat surprise.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
New phone is in. Works like a champ. Got the return shipping label and shipped off the old one.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

Darkpriest667 posted:

I have a netgear ac1900 and it works fine for me, but I think I'm in range of a tower too. Make sure to contact them and report it as a bug!

Did this. Some of the first tier cust service reps are... interesting. I get the impression they are not the best of english speakers. And they pay more attention to things like my profile pic than my actual problem.

Email number 8 trying to get them to acknowledge what is going on, I was replying to a rep named Jose. Now it should be noted, every time I get an email back - it's a new person. So the latest email, girl calls ME Jose. Completely ignores everything I just said and asks me some other dumb question. I requested a single competent tech to get back to me so I can solve my situation.

Which is basically this - have plenty of wifi but the cell tower connection at my house basically flaps between 1x and nuthin. When it flaps, calls drop, apps crash. Even though perfectly good wifi that is still on. I dont know what I need to do to get google to recognize this. Happens on both my 5x AND my wifes 5x. So, obviously not a handset issue. At all.

Really simple to explain yet hard to get anyone there to understand.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

pass the butter posted:

Did this. Some of the first tier cust service reps are... interesting. I get the impression they are not the best of english speakers. And they pay more attention to things like my profile pic than my actual problem.

Email number 8 trying to get them to acknowledge what is going on, I was replying to a rep named Jose. Now it should be noted, every time I get an email back - it's a new person. So the latest email, girl calls ME Jose. Completely ignores everything I just said and asks me some other dumb question. I requested a single competent tech to get back to me so I can solve my situation.

Which is basically this - have plenty of wifi but the cell tower connection at my house basically flaps between 1x and nuthin. When it flaps, calls drop, apps crash. Even though perfectly good wifi that is still on. I dont know what I need to do to get google to recognize this. Happens on both my 5x AND my wifes 5x. So, obviously not a handset issue. At all.

Really simple to explain yet hard to get anyone there to understand.

Here's my suggestion, try going to an area you get service and CALLING them. The voice customer service are all native english speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

Darkpriest667 posted:

Here's my suggestion, try going to an area you get service and CALLING them. The voice customer service are all native english speakers.

Well, I could. But it's tough to keep steps documented without a proper thread. That way people can stop asking me to re-seat my sim card, etc.

I have a case number. I could call and just demand higher level support but I'm not sure that'll do much at this point.