Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Trump get stumped?
Yes
No
#FeelTheBern
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

there's a new 538 podcast about Iowa that was just posted so you can listen to something before tonight's shitnado starts

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/elections-podcast-your-guide-to-the-iowa-caucuses/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
:siren::siren::siren:
Pragmatica -- My wife and I are trying to do the calls, but it says the phone bank is currently down.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Republicans posted:

I finally realized who Ted Cruz reminded me of.

but people don't like cruz

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Clinton campaign has knocked on 37k doors so far today as of 12:34 PM CST.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Mitt Romney posted:

Clinton campaign has knocked on 37k doors so far today as of 12:34 PM CST.

She's going to gently caress Bernie up his rear end in a top hat.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Palin on CNN is hilarious as always

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Are the Iowa caucuses the dumbest thing about the presidential elections? The electoral college is pretty bad, but I don't think it ever affects the outcome.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Are the Iowa caucuses the dumbest thing about the presidential elections? The electoral college is pretty bad, but I don't think it ever affects the outcome.

Bush v Gore??? Also, why are they dumb?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Let me tell you a story about a hanging chad

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

a cop posted:

She's going to gently caress Bernie up his rear end in a top hat.

no no no sanders has the enthusiasm even though every poll shows more enthusiasm for hillary

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

a cop posted:

Non-secret voting is 18th century as gently caress.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

ah youth

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

a cop posted:

Also, why are they dumb?

Let's have an election, but instead of just voting, we'll take two hours and argue with each other the whole time.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Dahbadu posted:

Pragmatica -- My wife and I are trying to do the calls, but it says the phone bank is currently down.

It's working now. We're both in.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Abner Cadaver II posted:

Non-secret voting is 18th century as gently caress.

19th and very early 20th too

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Let's have an election, but instead of just voting, we'll take two hours and argue with each other the whole time.

I think that owns.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

a cop posted:

Because voting by having people stand in corners sounds like a 4th grader came up with it.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Warmachine posted:

Because voting by having people stand in corners sounds like a 4th grader came up with it.

I think it's visceral, and real. People should be willing to stand up for their beliefs for all to see.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
It's amazing how poorly the Cruz mailer did with caucus-goers.

Hi, I'm running for the "government needs to stay out of my life" party, HERE'S A BUNCH OF loving INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR NEIGHBOURS I'M SENDING TO YOU.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm remembering the parts of The Social Contract where Rousseau talks about people shouting their opinion from the rooftops of Athens during a gathering of all citizens as the ultimate democratic political system.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

pathetic little tramp posted:

It's amazing how poorly the Cruz mailer did with caucus-goers.

Hi, I'm running for the "government needs to stay out of my life" party, HERE'S A BUNCH OF loving INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR NEIGHBOURS I'M SENDING TO YOU.

At the very least, get a super PAC to do it so the candidate's name isn't on the mailer.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PostNouveau posted:

Pretty much

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Warmachine posted:

Well imagine musical chairs with Chris christie.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PostNouveau posted:

The Iowa Caucus rarely affects the outcome, other than knocking out the very weak candidates that can't even manage a share of Iowa's tiny amount of delegates.

Here's a fun fact, in 1992, Bill Clinton lost Iowa to Tom Harkin, New Hampshire to Paul Tsongas, Maine to Jerry Brown, and South Dakota to Bob Kerrey. (Those were the first 4 primaries/caucuses, in order, that year)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Dahbadu posted:

A rare miracle for the people of Iowa

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

The Iowa Caucus rarely affects the outcome, other than knocking out the very weak candidates that can't even manage a share of Iowa's tiny amount of delegates.

I dunno, the caucuses seemed to do a lot for President Santorum.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

PostNouveau posted:

I dunno, the caucuses seemed to do a lot for President Santorum Ron Paul.

Kill your parents.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Please let this be as insane as last time :getin:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jerusalem posted:

No way it won't be, between the 'surprise' big Clinton push (spoiler it's not a surprise) and the general Sanders Fever in near all his supporters poo poo's gonna get buck wild

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Hey fellow Toreador! I'll be at Franklin elementary for Sanders tonight.

Holy poo poo. Me too! See you there!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jerusalem posted:

Last time Romney got punked by Santorum. This time Ted Cruz and Donald Trump are battling for first place. It's already at least as insane.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Gyges posted:

Last time Romney got punked by Santorum. This time Ted Cruz and Donald Trump are battling for first place. It's already at least as insane.

Yeah but they changed the rules so Rand Paul can't steal all the delegates after it's over. Tough to be as insane as that.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The thing is, people like Huckabee and Santorum are suppoed to win Iowa. It's not a predictor of the eventual nominee, but it is a good indicator of who will be the candidate of the GOP base, specifically the religious right. Cruz's whole thing is "televangelist who would never compromise because you don't back down when you have have God on your side." He's made for Iowa.
So if he loses to Trump, that's basically the moment where it becomes clear that Trump has been successful in utterly crushing him. And if Trump can stop Cruz in Iowa, he can stop anyone anywhere.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gyges posted:

It's already at least as insane.

Until Wolf Blitzer turns to the camera and assures the audience that CNN did NOT force an old woman out of bed to give them caucus results, we're still below peak beautiful insanity.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Jerusalem posted:

Until Wolf Blitzer turns to the camera and assures the audience that CNN did NOT force an old woman out of bed to give them caucus results, we're still below peak beautiful insanity.

What

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The thing is, people like Huckabee and Santorum are suppoed to win Iowa. It's not a predictor of the eventual nominee, but it is a good indicator of who will be the candidate of the GOP base, specifically the religious right. Cruz's whole thing is "televangelist who would never compromise because you don't back down when you have have God on your side." He's made for Iowa.
So if he loses to Trump, that's basically the moment where it becomes clear that Trump has been successful in utterly crushing him. And if Trump can stop Cruz in Iowa, he can stop anyone anywhere.

Unstumpable: How Donald Trump Became Emperor of America, by Rick Perlstein.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They rang up the Clinton County Republican Chairwoman at like 1am in the morning to get results for that county because they were so desperate to call a winner between Romney and Santorum. I don't think it is included in this video, but not long afterwards (presumably in response to calls/twitter etc from viewers) Wolf suddenly speaks up to say,"And I just want to... I just want to assure our viewers that CNN did NOT force Edith Pfeffer to get out of bed to give us the Clinton County results."

Iowa was a beautiful disaster in 2012.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jerusalem posted:

Wolf Blitzer saying something pantsshittingly stupid is a given, so I don't know why you're holding out on that count.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “I’d love to say that second place is great but it’s not a win and I know that’s a terrible expectation to set but our country needs to win again.” ~ Corey Lewandowski, campaign manager for Trump.

There's nobody who campaigns harder than the candidate who comes in 2nd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

Jerusalem posted:

They rang up the Clinton County Republican Chairwoman at like 1am in the morning to get results for that county because they were so desperate to call a winner between Romney and Santorum. I don't think it is included in this video, but not long afterwards (presumably in response to calls/twitter etc from viewers) Wolf suddenly speaks up to say,"And I just want to... I just want to assure our viewers that CNN did NOT force Edith Pfeffer to get out of bed to give us the Clinton County results."

Iowa was a beautiful disaster in 2012.

:wow:

• Locked thread