Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

regulargonzalez posted:

Didn't get my 7 points from the recent 1 Hour Headhunter event. Hopefully support can fix it. Fun event, my first time trying a Headhunter event. Assuming I get those points awarded, I'm 1/4 of the way to a Whispering Ice :v:

Did you delete your race character before points were awarded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Can I get a guild invite if there's open slots? IGN is GottaFreeGucciMane

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.

Get on my level

:colbert:

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Picer posted:

Get on my level

:colbert:

I got bored after a little over 100 hours. I have a terrible attention span.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

I'm glad I don't have the steam version so I don't have to see how much time I've spent on this game.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My PC broke after I ran the first Act 3 start. :(

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

Dear goon who lost an 81 rigwald a few hours ago and ragequit, I am going to do one tonight or tomorrow if you want in. Let me know.

I wasn't the one who did this, but I'd love to join and kick in currency or something. I see people selling it on trade chat occasionally, but worried about scamming - I might just be too used to that in games though from playing Eve for so many years. Busy the next 6-7 hours but can log in anytime w/ warning tomorrow.

Would be fun to maybe coordinate some goon challenge clearing as we close out the challenge league over the next month.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kea posted:

I got bored after a little over 100 hours. I have a terrible attention span.

I got bored the first time I hit maps. They are dull and trying to make them not dull kills your progress.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

dis astranagant posted:

I got bored the first time I hit maps. They are dull and trying to make them not dull kills your progress.

I actually find the level 80 plateau to be the hard part for me.. where you start doing maps but can't keep map drops/progress going so it just turns into this awful grind if you aren't geared enough.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I actually find the level 80 plateau to be the hard part for me.. where you start doing maps but can't keep map drops/progress going so it just turns into this awful grind if you aren't geared enough.

That's basically where I was. Map drops weren't happening, loot drops weren't relevant with the cheapo rares I was wearing and everything out of the game was pointing me toward grinding through tons of easy low tier maps instead of challenging myself.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Ornedan posted:

Yup :( I didn't know that was a thing. Now I do

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

TipsyMcStagger posted:

It actually plateaus around 90 if you put the tiniest amount of effort into making some currency as you play via trading and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5peoSsljNRY&list=PL4aZrsY9M5qA3-seudJZlG4I1NsUHDGxg&index=52

RIP bladefall and CO you were fun while you lasted.

time stamps if you want to listen to specific stuff.

quote:

0:00 Epic Intro by Rory

1:36 Name Locking Melee Skills

5:36 AoE nodes and AoE scaling

9:00 Vaal Reave and Cyclone

9:56 Frost Bomb, Orb of Storms (new skills) and the "One Button Meta"

17:30 Herald of Anarchy and Herald of Stone, Lightning Golem

19:40 Adding damage to support gems and support gem meta in general

23:18 Earthquake and the "gotta go fast" meta

30:45 Controlled Destruction and crit builds

34:47 Ascemdamcy Classes: class identity over class flexibility

37:25 highlighting subclasses for new players

38:25 Build diversity in Ascendancy

39:25 Pathfinder class balance

41:15 You can respec ascendancy classes and points

42:00 Rory's favourite ascendancy class

45:20 Powercreep and balancing around it

49:40 More build diversity discussion

50:45 The insane power level of unique flasks

56:25 Reduced mana changes, auras and mana

1:01:33 Outro

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx
Honestly, my plateau isn't about levels, but just about map drops. My last character was voltaxic LA, and was CRUSHING tier 10 maps with no problem, but I got higher maps so infrequently that there was no challenge whatsoever, and it was boring.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Ornedan posted:

I have done this several times, things suddenly make more since.....

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
"Right, right. I mean. There is a change to crit mult that is coming that will possibly mean that the crit mult will get a rebalance as well..."

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Yeah I hit lvl 92 and by the latter half of lvl 91 I had no T10 maps left over and still don't have any T10 or higher. Just ran dozens of T7s and T8s quickly to grind out the last few bits of exp, with the occasional T9 when I got a drop that wasn't Malformation or Underground River (I can actually die to the Malformation boss and Underground River has the actual worst layout of any map in the game). Basically GGG believes that T11 is about the breakpoint of where you should be able to sustain easily, those maps being worth 8-9 chaos. GGG expects you to spend somewhere between 5 and 10 chaos worth of your own currency on each T11 map as a currency sink to try to get good maps to sustain T11 at a baseline. Anything above that (red maps) is basically expected as a luxury thing you get to run once in a while.

At 92 I just started running Atziri. I'm still too lovely to have completed an Atziri run without dying but I don't come close to using all the portals any more so it's an improvement over when I started.

I think GGG and most of the community believes that easy to sustain maps ruins the economy because if I had to guess something like 90+% of chaos orbs that actually get used are spent on maps. Also GGG wants people to not be able to hit lvl 100 quickly, even though that has shown to not be meaningful because every time they nerf leveling to lvl 100 quickly people push to 100 even faster. There's a problem with people getting burned out on the game because they hit the 70s and try to run higher tier maps until they just die to everything if it's easy to get higher tier maps, but I feel like this is something that you can easily run into in D3 right now by setting a higher difficulty/trying to run a higher GR level than you can handle and it's not a problem in that game. I also think the problem of people quitting because of not having maps is way higher than people quitting because maps are too hard.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

The maps are definitely a huge problem I have with this game as it is right now. I have a pretty sizeable map pool and can clear everything up to tier 14 without issues(haven't gotten a 15 yet). However I have mostly tier 11 and lower, which is still decent XP, but they are honestly a snooze fest as far as difficulty. This makes them rather uninteresting so I spend most of my time speed farming dried lake on vaal spark character for now.

The rarity of the higher maps also throws another wrench into it in the sheer amount of currency being burned per map. Tier 15 looks to go for 40c on the low end throw in some chisels, chaos rerolls and domination and you're looking at almost an exalt for a nicely rolled map. As someone who doesn't play excessively or obsess over trading it seems a bit pricy just to enjoy challenging content.

Burno fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 1, 2016

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Yeah, honestly I get pretty bored with my builds once they get to lvl88+ because it's just not feasible to sustain a T12+ map pool even with alching/chiseling/vaaling every T10+ map I run. You get bursts of good drops, but all it takes is a few maps without a decent map drop and you're back to grinding T8-T10. The only other high-level content choices you have are Atziri (build restricitve and 95% mechanics, 5% skill), Uber (see Atziri except add a 3ex pricetag), Rigwald (harder, but no limit on portals make him cheesable, also takes for-loving-ever to farm the talismans) or Vinktar (Good fight but still way too expensive to run for fun).

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Watched a video of someone doing Vinktar and drat. What're the odds of us getting the cool orbital laser skill?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Vinktar is a very cool map that everyone should do at least once.

Note: bring topaz flasks.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
There must be stuff that only dedicated players will have time and wealth to access. I'm fine with this tier being endgame maps rather than build-defining uber uniques.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The secret is to have a build that can do any map mods. I am more or less sustaining high tier maps (prehaps 1/4-1/3 of the maps I run are T11, teh rest 12+), just by spending 4 chisels an alch and a vaal on each, with a scouring if appropriate. If it rolls really poo poo I will chaos it, but that's probably less than 1/10 of my maps that a chaos. The other thing I do is use 1-3 sac frags on my t12+ maps, 14 or 15 I will always use 3 frags, 12-13 I use only 1 or 2 unless it has crazy good rolls.

This is the first time I've ever got to maps, so I dont know how valid that advice is for later once things get balanced, but for this league there is no excuse, LA voltaxic and ChaosBlast are cheap and incredibly powerful builds that can safely vaal maps and not give a gently caress what mods turn up. I have failed a grand total of 1 map so far, which was a 200% inc damage, crit, turbo boss excavation that just didn't allow me any room to maneuver and cast flameblast. Everything else has been plenty doable.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
When you guys are participating in races, what builds do you usually try to do? I'm only asking as I'm poo poo as hell when racing and I just feel amazed when I'm i.e. lv 8 while the guy in first spot is usually almost double that. I'm presuming that he's skipping a lot of content, just running forward?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

kaaj posted:

When you guys are participating in races, what builds do you usually try to do? I'm only asking as I'm poo poo as hell when racing and I just feel amazed when I'm i.e. lv 8 while the guy in first spot is usually almost double that. I'm presuming that he's skipping a lot of content, just running forward?

Immensely. Stop for blue packs only and stay 3 levels under the zone you're in. As for specs I have no idea. I think duelist is a strong race class.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm not trying to win the races but Shrapnel Shot is an easy starting skill and the ranger tree right there has lots of speed nodes.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

kaaj posted:

To get a feel of what to do you could watch a race by a top racer, Mors or Helman are my gotos (https://www.twitch.tv/morsrageng for Marauder and https://www.twitch.tv/helmannn for Duelist). Mors has the bonus of hilarious rants (that are 99% actually relevant and true imo) while Helman is less spergy.

One of the most basic skills is: point somewhere to run and craft/equip/skill while running. The only sidequest you should do is Hailrake for the Quicksilver flask, ignore everything else. You have to have a movement skill to get through Quicksilver dry spells. Don't wear body armor unless you're Duelist and get the movement node (also for bosses). Any class with access to traps will surge ahead fast and is way easier to run than a melee class (imo).

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Coming back for Ascendancy, can I get a guild invite? IGN: VanGaalStopUsingRooney

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I have ~4ex on HC and I'm kinda bored of Shockwave Totem.

What's the best/strongest build to that budget? Mjolner? Voltaxic?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Ascendancy launching March 4th, 12:00pm pacific. No dead time in between leagues, nice.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

J posted:

Ascendancy launching March 4th, 12:00pm pacific. No dead time in between leagues, nice.

Personally I was hoping for a week off between the leagues, but its nice to have a date.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

kaaj posted:

Builds change all the time for racing but the principles you see in the following video are true no matter what league:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NsSZSDSVWQ

As for current meta for any given character, look up youtube or twitch for popular racers, mors and helmann are great at marauder and duelist respectively as already mentioned and Karvarousku generally runs witch and sometimes templar. Although I'm not personally into racing I did spend some time trying to get better at speedleveling before this league started and what's probably the most important thing, after having studied the main principles, is just practice. Getting faster is a cumulation of lots of small things, like minimizing town visits, adjusting gear on the run, spotting map cues for exits, so don't get discouraged if it takes a while to get anywhere close to top racers.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Pharnakes posted:

The secret is to have a build that can do any map mods. I am more or less sustaining high tier maps (prehaps 1/4-1/3 of the maps I run are T11, teh rest 12+), just by spending 4 chisels an alch and a vaal on each, with a scouring if appropriate. If it rolls really poo poo I will chaos it, but that's probably less than 1/10 of my maps that a chaos. The other thing I do is use 1-3 sac frags on my t12+ maps, 14 or 15 I will always use 3 frags, 12-13 I use only 1 or 2 unless it has crazy good rolls.

This is the first time I've ever got to maps, so I dont know how valid that advice is for later once things get balanced, but for this league there is no excuse, LA voltaxic and ChaosBlast are cheap and incredibly powerful builds that can safely vaal maps and not give a gently caress what mods turn up. I have failed a grand total of 1 map so far, which was a 200% inc damage, crit, turbo boss excavation that just didn't allow me any room to maneuver and cast flameblast. Everything else has been plenty doable.

The assumption is you can do every map mod. My current build can do every map mod except no leech and Ele Reflect, and the huge chaos sink is rolling into 80+% quantity with double pack size mods on every 12+ map. And the drops are just made to not be reliable from 12+ no matter what you do.

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

So... 20 exalts seemed like a fortune, but now that I'm looking into trying to buy my way to the remaining challenges (the harder/expensive ones), it looks like its less than I expected. Chains that bind go for 30c?!? Ugh.

Debating if I even want to try for 28 or just hit 21 and call it a day.

How hard is the 2 ghosts challenge to get? Haven't had it happen randomly, figured there might be ways to line it up to happen but would love hints from anyone that's pulled it off.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

I completed the ghost challenge without any effort in a tropical island with torment zana mod. Just hunt down a fast rare and listen for the ghosts. Mine all happened to be on the second island making it even easier as there were like 4 there to use.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Vilgan posted:

So... 20 exalts seemed like a fortune, but now that I'm looking into trying to buy my way to the remaining challenges (the harder/expensive ones), it looks like its less than I expected. Chains that bind go for 30c?!? Ugh.

How hard is the 2 ghosts challenge to get? Haven't had it happen randomly, figured there might be ways to line it up to happen but would love hints from anyone that's pulled it off.

Price probably goes up because people like you want those items¨

edit i remember some previous league someone had to pay like 2ex for an unid blackheart or whatever

dangerdoom volvo fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 2, 2016

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I got to 24, that's good enough for me this league. The hat looks dumb anyway.

I have Zana 8, T1 uniques, Rigwald uniques, twinned t15, vendor recipes and identify these uniques left. Oh and probably a few other ones. gently caress em.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Vilgan posted:

I got 32/32 on tsc about a week and a half ago. It wasn't too hard and I spent maybe 10ex if that and not counting that I was able to sell some stuff back. If you got 20ex you should be able to finish the challenges pretty easily. Only a few of the unid items are in the 1-2ex range the rest are super cheap. The rigwalds assuming you can't make your own ilv75 sets are 1-2ex as well except for the ring. And then the t1 uniques are also 1-4ex and you can sell a few of them back for near the same price especially if you get good rolls. Definitely worth going for if you don't play standard/hardcore perm leagues and have no reason to end the league with extra currency and your current character is built out enough.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've gotten a shitload of double ghosts, I'd been giving them out for free on global 820! Maybe I should have given them to goons, or sold them.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
New base flasks, new flask mods: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1580719 RF is gonna be more of a passive investment , it sounds like, since elemental flasks are getting nerfed but max res is being added other places.

quote:

Ascendancy introduces new base types of Utility Flasks:
Basalt Flask: Grants additional physical damage reduction.
Aquamarine Flask: Grants additional chance to avoid cold damage and creates chilled ground on use.
Stibnite Flask: Grants increased evasion and creates smoke clouds on use.
Sulphur Flask: Grants increased damage and creates consecrated ground on use.
Silver Flask: Grants Onslaught.
Bismuth Flask: Grants elemental resistances.

Sulphur and silver flasks are gonna be really strong on pretty much everybody (ironically silver flasks will probably be weakest on raider since she'll have high onslaught up time just from passives).
Reminders for what the named effects do:
Onslaught is 20% increased attack, cast, and move speed.
Consecrated ground heals you for 4% of your max life per second.
Smoke clouds blind an enemy, which is a 50% less chance to hit modifier on their attacks. Resolute technique makes it worthless, but that averages out to 50% less damage taken from attacks for any other character.

quote:

Our goal is to create a more diverse selection of Utility Flasks and to make sure they're compatible with the flask balance changes in Ascendancy. Many of these new Utility Flasks are directly useful for specific Ascendancy classes. For, example the Silver Flask for the Raider, the Sulphur Flask for the Inquisitor and the Stibnite Flask for the Saboteur.

We've added new mods that can be rolled on Flasks:
Increased Duration (Utility Flasks)
Increased Effect, Reduced Duration (Utility Flasks)
Poison Removal and Immunity (All Flasks)
Reduced number of Charged Used (All Flasks)

We've made some balance changes to existing Utility Flasks:
Resistance Flasks have been reduced to +6% maximum resistance. (It's getting easier to dramatically increase maximum resistances, so this change is designed to partially counteract the new tools such as the Flask Effect mod and new Ascendancy options.)
Quartz Flask now provides Dodge and Spell Dodge, as well as Phasing.
The duration, charge requirements and maximum charges on many existing utility flasks have been updated. In general, they're now easier to use, but there have been specific balance changes in some cases. For example, Quicksilver Flasks now have a slightly shorter duration (until you boost it with the new mod or an Ascendancy passive skill).
Existing Unique Flasks which don't have high usability have been improved where necessary to make sure they are still desirable choices. An example is Lion's Roar, which now has more than one use per full flask.

Other than changes to Unique Flasks, these changes affect existing Utility Flasks that your characters have (no legacy versions are created).

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

Easier to increase maximum resistance? Interesting, considering they've been removing it from the tree for a while now.

• Locked thread