Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
A Bobblehead mod would be pretty hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Ah gotcha, I like the changes to that. Sounds more interesting and definitely provides better synergies. I'm curious to see how some people will use their sharpshooters, aka mobile or camping~

Thanks for the replies :kiddo:

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
This has been an absolutely remarkable 6 months for new games for me personally, and I am looking forward to more because of XCOM2. GON B GUD

Followed by Dark Souls 3, even? Cripes.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Well...poo poo just got real after he skulljacked that dude.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Mimic beacon is really dumb. Why would you not carry a ton of them on every mission?

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
I feel as though beagle is enjoying trolling the chat way too much with the Avatar Project countdown.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Kennel posted:

I think he has played non-stop 10 hours now(?)

It's 10:30 AM on the east coast right now, I think I saw the stream message before I hit the hay around 10 or so, so he's been going almost 12 hours.

EDIT: Plasma Grenades :getin:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Cyclomatic posted:

For a game that would be bad AI. Sectoids behave in a way that is predictable and can be neutralized by exploiting their nature, or become a big big problem if the pod scatter, terrain, or just plain bad luck screws up the neutralization plan. A campaign is a lot of missions, with many pods per mission. The sectoid AI is good because its nature will make things go really bad when things go a little bad, and the player will remember that incident as 'that is Xcom'.

Xcom doesn't stand a chance if the AI is playing smart. Especially if it is willing to suicide for a kill.

To expand on this, beagle got rushed by a few stun lancers, a mec, and two sectoids. The sectoids took away enough fire power for the other units to overwhelm beagle, and he lost 4 of 5 soldiers on the mission. If all sectoids do is take one soldier away with mind control or panic it can spell doom in the wrong situation which is bound to happen at least once in the game.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Rougey posted:

It's 10:30 AM on the east coast right now, I think I saw the stream message before I hit the hay around 10 or so, so he's been going almost 12 hours.

EDIT: Plasma Grenades :getin:

Yeah, Beagle's getting a bit loopyer than normal.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

This has been an absolutely remarkable 6 months for new games for me personally, and I am looking forward to more because of XCOM2. GON B GUD

Followed by Dark Souls 3, even? Cripes.

It actually loving sucks because I don't have enough time to play all these ridiculously good looking games that are being released back to back

There's Dragon's Dogma just released on PC, then Tomb Raider, and now this, then Dark Souls 3 and Star Fox and Uncharted 4 in the span of like two loving weeks, and Final Fantasy 15 and Deus Ex and Ni-Oh and maybe the new Mirror's Edge if it's good and a bunch of indie poo poo that I'm stoked for and motherfucking The Last Guardian?? The Last Guardian is actually supposed to release this year. What the gently caress

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Xcom 2 has animated pigeon head bobs. GOTY.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
That plasma grenade just vaporized a third of that building .

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Superstring posted:

Yeah, Beagle's getting a bit loopyer than normal.

My own concentration seriously starts to falter after 6 hours of focusing on XCOM, so I don't blame him one bit for going full insane after double that time.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 31, 2022

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Has he bothered to get psychics yet?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Internet Kraken posted:

Mimic beacon is really dumb. Why would you not carry a ton of them on every mission?

AegisP posted:

huh, asked and answered.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

AegisP posted:

YES! I loved this in the original XCom: UFO DEFENSE. Bring that poo poo on. Blow up all the buildings! Cover the map in smoke...count the dead and head back to the Skyranger. Earth! Freedom! Forever!

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Honestly, fall damage is my most hyped for feature. Being able to blow the floor out of enemies to kill them will never get old.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

AegisP posted:

Honestly, fall damage is my most hyped for feature. Being able to blow the floor out of enemies to kill them will never get old.

I didn't realize that was a thing, and it makes me very happy.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

AegisP posted:

I am, however, gonna download the mod, that adds falling animations/sound FX to all the models, like, ASAP.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
Sectoids do support stuff, which is super dangerous if they have units to support. Sectoids like to run away and link up with a new pod and activate them, which is really dangerous for the player, when the sectoid is the last ayy standing so ignoring them is actually dangerous.

Just because beagle makes it look easy in the openings ng months of the game doesn't mean something is wrong with the AI. Xcom would be total poo poo as a game if the ayys used killer AI that made optimal kill plays. They can suicide for kills because Firaxis Xcom isn't based on taking massive casualties, and the AI acts accordingly, and the game looks just fine, even on hard, because the AI threatens a squad wipe. Beagle wasn't shy about expressing concern about overwatch trapping. If he thought sectoid AI was a problem, it stands to reason he would flat out say it.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Jesus they name random civilians now.

Poor Dara :smith:

EDIT: That activation :stonk:

Rougey fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 2, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Incidentally this:

Cyclomatic posted:

They can suicide for kills because Firaxis Xcom isn't based on taking massive casualties, and the AI acts accordingly, and the game looks just fine, even on hard, because the AI threatens a squad wipe.
is why EXALT assaults in EW lost access to run & gun, because the AI basically said 'gently caress it we doin' it live' and murdered the gently caress out of your dudes with fairly little you could do about it.

the player is stopped from doing the same thing because losing that soldier is a serious blow. the AI doesn't give a crap, it'll have more dudes the next mission regardless.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Ahahahaha

Edit: It gets better!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Oh dear, I think beagle might be heading for a full squad wipe this mission. That was a very unfortunate Faceless uncover.

With 6 squad members.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Lol.

We're fine as long as they're not a faceless.

(civilian is a faceless)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Haha, he's so hosed.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
87% :negative:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
If you miss this 87%....

(sniper misses at 87%)

Jake Solomon certainly has him by the nards on this one.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The :xcom: is strong with this one

ok now i need to stop watching for real this time

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

AlternateAccount posted:

Lol.

We're fine as long as they're not a faceless.

(civilian is a faceless)

Seriously, I ain't never trusting dem bastids unless they move around and confirm themselves to be a human as opposed to a meat popsicle.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Coolguye posted:

huh, asked and answered.

You can carry both mimic beacons and plasma grenades though so its not like you have to choose between the two.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
BEAGLE LUCK STRIKES AGAIN!

EDIT: is he crying?

EDIT EDIT: now watch as he doubles down and squad wipes.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Man, those Faceless have like half a mile of buttcrack.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
That Ranger has one gigantic lucky horseshoe.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Can someone provide a link to whatever stream you guys are watching?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

They don't scale as far as I can tell--they can be destroyed with enough damage and harder hitting units are going to clear them out faster, possibly even immediately, at which point all fire is on you again. They may be an early game hail mary but late game joke of a slot.

If they get nerfed, I imagine it'll be to reduce their hit point and defense values so they fall apart much faster.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

JosefStalinator posted:

Can someone provide a link to whatever stream you guys are watching?

http://www.twitch.tv/miss_jamball

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Of course the hack would fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

AlternateAccount posted:

If you miss this 87%....

(sniper misses at 87%)

Jake Solomon certainly has him by the nards on this one.

This will horribly backfire if we fail the hack

(Fails 82% hack)

You'd think he's learn to stop doing this.