Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

William Bear posted:

A Class C Felony in Oregon is punishable by up to 5 years in prison and/or up to$125,000 in fines.

And these guys just put their names on their simulated legal process.
Pretty sure they already don't recognize the authority of the gold-fringed flag in the courthouse so they'll continue to not recognize it if they get arrested/charged!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

They're paranoid militia shitbags. What do you think?

I'd assume each one had two pistols, an absurd amount of ammunition, and a combat knife, not because they got all armed up for a fight, but because that's their normal daily loadout.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Personally I'm glad they've gone fullblown sovereign citizen. It's going to lose them any sane sympathizers they had left. Have the Bundys openly allied themselves with Doucett though?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

While this is amazing having even more of these nutjobs in the center of town really turns this from idiots in the woods to crazies in the city. This is probably the least funny this event has ever been.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

It starts with "they're lying to us"

Then it dehumanises us for public service.

Then they want us fired for doing our jobs.

When that doesn't work...

This week staff was put on notice not to disagree with the public in public forums because members of said public complained. Being in the government basically means you have to give up your first amendment rights too. Its painful when you're discouraged from even disagreeing publicly with people who claim to know your mind, heart and competency.

But its OK, its just a peaceful protest armed, peaceful protest.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 2, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

size1one posted:

Kangaroo court orders the arrest of people involved in the ambush of Lavoy

If/when one of the many insane assholes try to enforce this I hope they don't actually manage to kidnap a LEO or any restraint the FBI is showing will evaporate quickly, to say nothing of what they'd do if some militia dude tried to kidnap these people and one of the targeted people got shot in the process for "resisting" or whatever.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Hahah this is ridiculous. Also I told my SO that one of her Christmas 2015 presents was a weekend at the Crystal Crane Hot Springs, site of one of the Bundy meetings when they were denied a meeting space in Burns.

Not sure I want to patronize a place that gives these folks a platform, OTOH hot springs....

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/LincolnGraves/status/694261024992538624/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I'm starting to get the uneasy feeling someone innocent is going to get hurt by this poo poo now. And in turn they'll get dehumanised by being labeled a crisis actor.

I don't like this at all.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Evil Fluffy posted:

If/when one of the many insane assholes try to enforce this I hope they don't actually manage to kidnap a LEO or any restraint the FBI is showing will evaporate quickly, to say nothing of what they'd do if some militia dude tried to kidnap these people and one of the targeted people got shot in the process for "resisting" or whatever.

We can't build a competent government for the same reason people don't want to be teachers anymore, similar first amendment and pay issues but now besides being the source of all societies ills the militia movement sees us as valid military targets too.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Skinty McEdger posted:

I'm starting to get the uneasy feeling someone innocent is going to get hurt by this poo poo now. And in turn they'll get dehumanised by being labeled a crisis actor.

I don't like this at all.

Legal question, if a narrative forms around someone who is hurt by this and they are labeled a crisis actor do they have legal ground to sue for libel?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Telsa Cola posted:

Legal question, if a narrative forms around someone who is hurt by this and they are labeled a crisis actor do they have legal ground to sue for libel?

I don't think the laws identify this anymore than they do "He's a 5 headed unicorn!" Which would make it free speech.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

RuanGacho posted:

I don't think the laws identify this anymore than they do "He's a 5 headed unicorn!" Which would make it free speech.

It was my (quite possibly mistaken) assumption that blatantly untrue statements that are publicized that had the effect of causing provable damage were actionable in court. If I am being bad and dumb please correct me.

Edit: Looking at the Oregon law codes for defamation seem to support my understanding of the law. So if calling people crisis actor picks up steam there could and should be law suits flying around. Best case scenario is that people have to issue retractions.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 2, 2016

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

This is great!

The rest of the situation is just frustratingly awful. It looks like outsiders are trying to take over this town. Someone is going to lose their poo poo if this keeps going.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

William Bear posted:

A Class C Felony in Oregon is punishable by up to 5 years in prison and/or up to$125,000 in fines.

What's the facebook page? Facebook.com/robe...

It's on the Robert "LaVoy" Finicum page. Not sure who's running it.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Telsa Cola posted:

It was my (quite possibly mistaken) assumption that blatantly untrue statements that are publicized that had the effect of causing provable damage were actionable in court. If I am being bad and dumb please correct me.

I'm not a lawyer and I only pretend to understand municiple codes. I'm more speaking to the fact that the concept of a crisis actor is so out there to the average human being that it would be like declaring unicorns and has no legal precedent as far as I'm aware.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Lomarf
https://twitter.com/HGTomato/status/694309000838561792

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

RuanGacho posted:

I'm not a lawyer and I only pretend to understand municiple codes. I'm more speaking to the fact that the concept of a crisis actor is so out there to the average human being that it would be like declaring unicorns and has no legal precedent as far as I'm aware.

I feel like the general public would understand that someone is claiming someone else is a liar and a fraud easily enough. The word may be strange but I feel like the concept would not be.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

NewMars posted:

On the FBI from that letter: "These men are employed by the French Banking Cartel known as the International Monetary Fund, which is an agency of the United Nations."

What kind of a response do they expect, exactly?

They're following the form letter from that "Judge" Anna Riezinger, a self-appointed crank who's popped up occasionally in relation to this story, mainly to give pseudolegal advice to the occupiers and their sympathizers.

The relevant post from her website:

quote:

Friday, January 29, 2016
Instructions Regarding “FBI” Murderers Still Terrifying Burns, Oregon

Reports of over 200 heavily armed paramilitary commercial mercenaries disguised as lawful government employees rampaging through Burns, Oregon, trying to provoke local people into an armed insurrection.  They’ve been laughing in local bars and restaurants about how they murdered LaVoy Finicum.

They’ve been swaggering on the streets, proud of what they have done— that is, supporting crime so blatant it takes your breath away.  They’ve been terrorizing local ranchers, entering private property, face-slamming people who are feeding livestock, threatening them with death and “ball crushing.” This is what’s going on, America.  This is the “service” you are paying for.  This is what the IMF and its UNITED STATES, INC. venture is all about, and has always been about— they were just busy doing it in other countries.

So now they are here, doing it to Americans.  If you don’t want them in your town doing the same things, it is high time you listened and take action now. (1) Call the Office of the Provost Marshals in every state of the Union and specifically tell those men this: EACH STATE IS DIFFERENT…… 

(1) My name is_____________. (2) I live in ____________, ____________. (3) I am in fear for my life and property as a result of commercial mercenaries operating under color of law calling themselves “FBI” agents. (4) These men are pretending to represent the lawful government of the United States while engaged in criminal racketeering and murder on our shores. (5) These men are employed by the French banking cartel known as the International Monetary Fund which is an agency of the United Nations. (6) They are provoking acts of war on our soil, when they and their corporation no longer have any natural right to be here. Their contract to provide governmental services here is over. (7) We require the immediate assistance of the combined American military and civilian police forces to remove these undeclared foreign agents from our shores.

Now that you know who is who and what is what, call the United Nations and tell them the same thing. Call the “Members of Congress” for whatever good they are, and tell them. Call the White House for whatever good they are, and tell them.

Call your Governor, wherever you are in the United States, and tell all of them.

Call your friends and your neighbors.

Start writing and emailing and faxing and sending.  It is imperative that these acts of aggression by a foreign bank corporation be recognized for what it is and immediately and severely punished to the full extent of the Public Law of this nation and also according to the international laws pertaining to crimes of war, inland piracy, and crimes of commerce.  It is imperative that these men be recognized for what they are — commercial mercenaries acting under color of law — and that they be arrested as criminals and punished as their deeds merit.

Judge Anna Maria Riezinger
Federal Postal District Judge Western Region

This stuff is too sick to make up. Elsewhere on her website is an order to pay the family of Finicum two billion dollars in silver. Commentary on websites that feature Riezinger's writing is suggesting people beg General Joseph Dunford, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, to intervene.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 2, 2016

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Does the person saying it know it's false? Is the person it's said about a public figure? If so, is it said with malicious intent? Does it actually harm the person it's said about? Those are the things that will factor into the defamation alalysis. The latter factor is the one likely to neuter a claim, because only a couple fringe idiots on blogs are likely to take such a claim seriously.

That said, suppose a hundred idiots sunk their teeth into it, blanketed someone's community with leaflets or w/e, and they lost their job. The sure you've got a comparable defamation claim. You will likely be seeking damages from someone who lives in their van though, so good luck.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Prester Jane posted:

200 militia members are currently in the third hour of a shouting match with about 300 local residents on the steps of the Burns courthouse. There are substantially more militia members in Burns at present than there was during the peak of the refuge occupation.

Edit: Judge from the Kangaroo court sent out a letter to the Oregon Speaker of the House demanding the FBI be removed by 5pm tommorrow. The final line is "Time is of the essence as this is a matter of life and death."

https://mobile.twitter.com/jason_a_w/status/694283485473673217
"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, may I present Exhibit A, undersigned by the defendants."

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
This is kind of an uneasy situation now that there's a big pile of these fuckups interacting with a civilian populace instead of sitting around in the woods. I hope this gets resolved peaceably and the authorities have sufficient resources available to contain things immediately if it does not.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

We are people of We The People.

New thread title?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

quote:

(1) My name is_____________. (2) I live in ____________, ____________. (3) I am in fear for my life and property as a result of commercial mercenaries operating under color of law calling themselves “FBI” agents. (4) These men are pretending to represent the lawful government of the United States while engaged in criminal racketeering and murder on our shores. (5) These men are employed by the French banking cartel known as the International Monetary Fund which is an agency of the United Nations. (6) They are provoking acts of war on our soil, when they and their corporation no longer have any natural right to be here. Their contract to provide governmental services here is over. (7) We require the immediate assistance of the combined American military and civilian police forces to remove these undeclared foreign agents from our shores.

Oh man, why do I get the feeling that somewhere in the United States a very confused government official got a very odd call due to this?

Like, how do you even reconcile the fact that that sounds absolutely batshit insane? You'd have to have literally zero self awareness.

Edit: I'm reminded of that hilarious call to 911 where a bunch of paranoid idiots confessed to smuggling a ton of weed into the state and were literally begging the (increasingly confused, and then increasingly amused as he got them to confess everything up to and including their names and location) dispatcher to just "end it" and have all the cops they were sure were all around them arrest them already.

This is the "Okay, you just admitted you need to be put on a federal watch list for the safety of the greater community." version of that.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 2, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Voyager I posted:

I hope this gets resolved peaceably and the authorities have sufficient resources available to contain things immediately if it does not.
In a totally sickass turn of events, the town of Burns was actually secretly evacuated one week before. The 'townspeople' are all federal agents, sheriffs, FBI, etc. The protesting militia nutbars are all rounded up in a delicious honeytrap of epic crazy.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
"I'M GOING OUT IN A BLAZE OF GLORius paperwork certifying how uncool and useless my death was" - Lavoy Cobain

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I do not like this at all.

Why do these idiots think that if you slap "We the People" on it that it's official?

They have such a colonial hard-on ... it's insane.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

William Bear posted:

This stuff is too sick to make up. Elsewhere on her website is an order to pay the family of Finicum two billion dollars in silver. Commentary on websites that feature Riezinger's writing is suggesting people beg General Joseph Dunford, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, to intervene.

I was kinda curious how much space two billion dollars worth of silver would take up. Thats roughly 2820 tons of silver. Which is roughly the size of a small house.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Does the person saying it know it's false? Is the person it's said about a public figure? If so, is it said with malicious intent? Does it actually harm the person it's said about? Those are the things that will factor into the defamation alalysis. The latter factor is the one likely to neuter a claim, because only a couple fringe idiots on blogs are likely to take such a claim seriously.

That said, suppose a hundred idiots sunk their teeth into it, blanketed someone's community with leaflets or w/e, and they lost their job. The sure you've got a comparable defamation claim. You will likely be seeking damages from someone who lives in their van though, so good luck.

I may be internet lawyering but I feel like most of there statements could be construed as defamation per se and thus damages are not required to be proved and are automatically assumed. But yeah we are a bit off topic now so Ill stop posting about law stuff. If any one has experience with Oregon law feel free to rip my theory a new one.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/694313609732583425

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

William Bear posted:

They're following the form letter from that "Judge" Anna Riezinger, a self-appointed crank who's popped up occasionally in relation to this story, mainly to give pseudolegal advice to the occupiers and their sympathizers.

RIP Tarpman, not even worth gold

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

William Bear posted:

Wait until this guy finds out that the FBI was created a couple of decades before the IMF.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I wonder if these assholes just imagine Aaron Copland music playing throughout their lives. There's so much assumed grandeur for their cause, and angst about the world that's changing around them. It's really pathetic.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Why do these idiots think that if you slap "We the People" on it that it's official?

They have such a colonial hard-on ... it's insane.

This is a religion, not a political ideology. They twist and contort the Constitution in the exact same way that crazy zealots twist and contort the Bible or the Quran. The founders are their ancient holy men and they cosplay as them for the same reason crazy Christians go around cosplaying as the disciples.

There is a whooooooooole lot of concentrated crazy in Burns right now. The best case scenario is they all go broke and get tired of waiting in the cold for nothing to happen and go home. The worst case scenario is......well it's bad and if poo poo gets real in Burns it could inspire a small wave of sympathetic attacks (both by lone wolf's and other militia's) all over the country.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 2, 2016

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Lead out in cuffs posted:

We are people of We The People.

New thread title?

We, the We The People people.

We, the We The People of Harney County people, are facing off angrily with the people of Harney County.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
https://twitter.com/BobHeye/status/694236951759552512

So, this is interesting. There's also a claim that one of the bundies is getting an LDS judge in the conversation of the tweet. Is this just more nonsense, or does anyone have a good source?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://mobile.twitter.com/leszaitz/status/694315945129422849

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

https://twitter.com/BobHeye/status/694236951759552512

So, this is interesting. There's also a claim that one of the bundies is getting an LDS judge in the conversation of the tweet. Is this just more nonsense, or does anyone have a good source?

Well there's this from the Oregonian. It doesn't say anything about the judge being a Mormon, just that he's the appellate judge on duty to hear reviews like this for the month.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

It's probably worth repeating that the official position of the LDS church regarding these events is 'This is uncool, we do not approve'. More worrying would be if the judge shares similar SovCit or Militia sympathetic views. Granted, I'm biased; if I was the judge, I'd throw the loving book at them as hard as I could because we shared the same religion (which would also be inappropriate). This guy? Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

If you'd like a nice overview of just how deep the rabbit hole goes, here, take a gander at this opinion from a judge in Canada.

I'd differ from Prester Jane a bit and say the sovcit part of this isn't religion so much as it is magical thinking. There's overlap, but sovereign citizens are less like someone radicalized by a fire and brimstone sermon and more like someone sold on the One Trick that Judges Don't Want You to Know.

• Locked thread