Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

packetmantis posted:

"Random target logic will not target corpses. "

What does this mean? Blindfire won't hit corpses anymore?
I'm thinking it means when your characters snap and act on their own they won't waste time attacking corpses, which if so is kind of a weird thing to patch since it makes sense that an irrational Highwayman might attempt to stab a corpse to death in a fit of anxiety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Level 0 Leper in a team with level 0 jester = crit for 24. This poo poo is awesome. I hadn't really played with Jesters much yet, his group buffs are really good.

I kind of wish that instead of buffing the Leper's damage, they had made his self-damage/accuracy buff worth playing. If they made Revenge move him forwards, that would make him mobile and competitive with the Grave Robber.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Leper buffs feel nice. Rank 4 weapon has about the same damage as his Rank 5 weapon did before. Not over the top but quite noticeable.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rascyc posted:

Where did we hear 15% Jesus

Base damage went from 7-14 (level 0) to 8-16.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

Leper buffs feel nice. Rank 4 weapon has about the same damage as his Rank 5 weapon did before. Not over the top but quite noticeable.

Yeah, I think they literally just shifted his weapon damage a rank.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I lost my level 2 leper yesterday, and haven't gotten one in weeks, so i'm kinda missing out.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Looks like they sped up levels to 4-6 to be even faster. This is good and all for turboleveling guys to make DD parties faster, but it does make the "I have level 5 dudes that won't do Veteran dungeons any more" situation more common before you have enough guild+smith upgrades to do champion dungeons comfortably. The steam forums are already full of whining. It's interesting that this is the means they're trying to reduce mid-endgame grind, because I already thought that getting the upper levels was very fast, and that getting those earlier levels is a big part of that grind since apprentice dungeons don't give more than 4 xp a pop (6 xp with the ancestor's portrait if you have a few of thoese lying around I guess).

Holy hell, the Formless Flesh (or whatever the champion version is) is serious loving business. I brought an Arbalest-Vestal-Dogemaster-Hellion party that was specced for DPS against it, and it just hammered my back ranks into death's door way way faster than I was expecting. I guess it might have gone better if I had brought more +dodge trinkets, since I was abusing hound's harry to do absurd bleed damage. This was the first champion boss I felt like I wasn't overprepared for, and the first time I chose to forgo hunting for extra loot after the boss kill. Only five bosses left before I'm clear. Not looking forward to the clown car cannon, but the other bosses seem reasonable if I prepare with their gimmicks in mind.

e: The leper buff is in the most recent patch, which has only been up for a couple of hours.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 2, 2016

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Did that Leper buff just happen sometime today? I've been using him a lot since final release. Choosing between Chop/Hew/Intimidate is satisfying in a simple little way.. and yet I hated the monotony of pre-corpse melee conveyor-belt DD. Go figure.

For the 4th skill, every once in a while I'll swap out his self-heal for his self-stress-heal for a fight or two but he's been very reliable and the front row is usually where damage is most needed anyways. Never really have any issues with a corpse getting in the way of his targets since I get a lot of use out of Plague Doctors and their stunning+shuffling+corpse clearing grenade.

I've been giving my Leper the +15% Leper trinket and a Berserker trinket (+15% dmg, +3Spd, -5 ACC and increased stress damage).

He's definitely not ideal on some boss fights, but I think I've brought a Leper on 2 or 3 of my Hag stomps so far. He can knock out the pot in 2 Chops while the usual hitters do their thing (Hello Arbalest dropping 50+ points a snipe on the Hag with camp buffs, zerker trinket, and the Houndmaster's mark!)

He did well on the one pirate fight I've done so far, too. He'd get nabbed, Hew his way to freedom+chipping away at the boat, and then self-heal as needed.

After seeing everyone praising them over the Leper, I finally tried using the Abomination and the Hellion.. I didn't like either one. Abom's stress-making GBS threads doesn't play well with all the +STRESS dmg trinkets I use and the Hellion seems very much built exclusively for short fights. Any class will do in a short fight- it's overkill (and risky!) to specialize in them at the cost of durability.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Backer Trinkets are in so have mine:

(Go to your trinket inventory hit enter then type the name.)

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

Just got home from work to possibly get the rest of my level 4s up to level 5. Turns out Red Hook took the burden off me and almost boosted some of my level 5s to level 6 as well.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Leper just got his base damage jacked up ~15%. :stare:

Yup, that'll do it.

:black101: DISMAS'S SLUGGER OF LIGHT :black101:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Geokinesis posted:

Backer Trinkets are in so have mine:

(Go to your trinket inventory hit enter then type the name.)

hachi machi

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Whoa. Is there a list somewhere of all the backer trinket names like there is for the backer heroes? How many backer trinket tiers were there?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Hah, looks like I wasn't as clever with my trinket as I thought. I ripped off Norse mythology but someone else had pretty much the same idea. Mine is Svallin, I can't remember if I spelled it that way or it was changed. It did get tweaked somewhat from what I had originally entered, I wish I'd taken a screenshot of the form so I could remember exactly, but I had put in -Stress resist and -SPD against Beasts, but specified it as ONLY being in Low torchlight (because of Sol and Mani being chased by the wolves :v: ), and they made it a little more punishing by adding -Dodge and removing the low light requirement:

And here's the other person's idea:

Nakar posted:

Whoa. Is there a list somewhere of all the backer trinket names like there is for the backer heroes? How many backer trinket tiers were there?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10QFi-xGfD5Si6843F8hkPzDwJxUVZCnFUWLBMD2H05Q/edit#gid=0

quote:

Please note that we did our best to assign values, but you might find your trinket is either more or less powerful than you were expecting. Some of you were also quite clever, so your trinkets might break the game and make it too easy. THAT BURDEN IS ON YOU! :)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

RightClickSaveAs posted:

And here's the other person's idea:

"I want my trinket to do... everything!!!" :downs:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
"Papyrus Containing The Spell To Preserve Its Possessor Against Attacks From He Who Is In The Water"
wow guy

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

RoboCicero posted:

"Papyrus Containing The Spell To Preserve Its Possessor Against Attacks From He Who Is In The Water"
wow guy

That sounds fun.

edit: It is!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 2, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
...Did my Jester just quote "Eye of the Tiger"? This game rules.

Camping rules.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Some of these trinket properties don't make much sense. "-16% resolve XP while camping"? "+10% stress damage vs. Marked+"?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Alright.

Second foray against the Hag (veteran tier), GO.

Everyone in this screenshot is level 4 with the same weapon upgrades as the Hellion (who's selected); Hound Master's trinkets give him a full +60% to stun at the low, low cost of -1 speed.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Stun is not great against the Hag because it only stuns her for 1 attack and she gets 2 attacks per round, so essentially you're sacrificing 1/3 of your output to take away 1/2 of hers. Which sounds like an ok deal, until you remember someone is boiling alive. Of course, stun is still great for making it there in one piece.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bad Seafood posted:

Alright.

Second foray against the Hag (veteran tier), GO.

Everyone in this screenshot is level 4 with the same weapon upgrades as the Hellion (who's selected); Hound Master's trinkets give him a full +60% to stun at the low, low cost of -1 speed.

FYI she's gonna do nothing but throw the hellion into the pot over and over. She knows about iron swan and fears it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

Stun is not great against the Hag because it only stuns her for 1 attack and she gets 2 attacks per round, so essentially you're sacrificing 1/3 of your output to take away 1/2 of hers. Which sounds like an ok deal, until you remember someone is boiling alive. Of course, stun is still great for making it there in one piece.
Yeah, the stun boost's not for the Hag, it's for all the giants and ghouls between me and the Hag.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The Deed grind is overrated. I've been getting like 15-20 deeds in these Champion runs just from loot alone. Granted it's a long dungeon and I've been specifically targeting Deeds but this has been hardly the critical path in finishing the game out.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Wait... backer trinkets are in the game now, and you can't find them in the wild? :v:
Or is typing them in just intended as a way to immediately get the one you designed?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Gabriel Pope posted:

Some of these trinket properties don't make much sense. "-16% resolve XP while camping"? "+10% stress damage vs. Marked+"?

Well the second one I would assume means that if one of your party members is marked, they take 10% addition stress damage.

In general, I wish that positive and negetive effects of trinkets were color coded. While it's perfectly clear when you understand the game, there's a not a good grammatical line between how positive and negatives are described.

+10% DMG
means that your character deals 10% more damage. This is a good thing
+10% Stress Dmg means that your character receives 10% more stress damage. This is the bad thing.

+% Stress Dmg is basically the only instance where a +% is a negative. And it makes sense that the grammar is different, +X% DMG vs +X% Stress Dmg. In positives, adjectives are always after the uppercase DMG, like +10% DMG Melee Skills.

It's not a big deal, but if I was designing the grammar for effects, I would want it to describe stress damage modifies in a way that was immediately intuitive and clear.

Although as far as their skill descriptions go, the top priority should be clarifying targeting.

The text for Hound Master's Cry Havoc simply says "Stress Heal +X (Y% chance)", this is a party effect.
The text for Crusader's Inspiring Cry says "Heal 1-1 Stress Heal +X Torch +Z ", this is a single target effect.

Vestal's Divine Comfort says "party heal X-Y". This should be changed to "Party Heal" and the notation for party stress heals should be changed to "Party Stress Heal"

But I understand they are still working on things, and these are the kind of things that honestly come after finalizing and balancing the mechanics themselves. Since there are lots of things they are still tweaking, I won't be surprised if they do eventually start fixing tooltips.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Hag down! :toughguy: :witch:

Grabbed my Hound Master first, fortuitously enough. The Occultist marked her, the Grave Digger starting throwing daggers, and of course the Hellion got to go to town. Only bad turn in the fight was the Hag crit healing herself right before dumping out the Hound Master at death's door, only then snatching up my Hellion. Hound Master had to survive one Meat Tenderizer before I could heal him, but he managed to pull through. Grave Robber dealt the killing blow.

But yeah, this setup allowed me a relatively low-stress, low-damage run of the Weald. I'd use these guys to farm here more often but killing the boss nearly pushed them all to level 5 which I think means they refuse to do veteran missions? Or is that level 6 (hoping it is)? This does make me think though that the lowered upper level EXP requirements might end up being a curse in disguise, presuming your whole roster levels up too quickly to tackle all the veteran-tier bosses.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Yup, level 5 dudes will refuse veteran quests. I think the devs have pushed themselves into a corner, where it is now too easy to level guys up to 5 way before you have enough heirlooms+gold for champion to feel reasonable. However, making levelups take longer just makes the grind for "more level 6's to throw at the DD" that much worse.

However, I think the faster xp curve improves the game. I certainly had memorable experiences doing champion runs with level 3-4 equipment + skills. I just wished that so much of the game didn't give me the feeling that I needed to be doing the weald/warrens because I needed those heirlooms so much more. I like doing ruins runs, and the cove has some really distinct design, but I never once thought "man i need more crests/busts". Nope, instead I felt obligated to go either to blighty-treebranch-rear end in a top hat land or disease-pig land. It is a lot more fun now that I'm just ignoring heirlooms to do the regions more evenly.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 2, 2016

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
One of the backer trinkets has "-10% Trap Disarm vs. Beast" :psyduck:

EDIT: "-10% Move Resist While Camping" :what:

Nakar fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 2, 2016

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

So IS there a limit on how many of these kick starter trinkets and heroes you can put into a save file?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Victor Vermis posted:

the Hellion seems very much built exclusively for short fights.

Why do you say that? Hellion is awesome in any fight. Take Wicked Hack, If It Bleeds and Iron Swan, laugh as you hit anywhere you like in the enemy line for good damage. Iron Swan frequently one-shots back-line enemies. For my money she's the best class in the game.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I agree that the hellion is great in many fights but I see what he's saying. Hellion is the squishiest frontline character, and three of her attacks debuff herself, which isn't a problem when the fight is going to end next round, but reduces her flexibility a fair bit when you know the fight is going to go on for several more rounds.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I feel like the backer trinkets and memoirs could've used a little more quality control.

Least they're unobtrusive.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Eh I never use the self-debuff hellion moves anyway.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Bad Seafood posted:

I feel like the backer trinkets and memoirs could've used a little more quality control.

Least they're unobtrusive.
Some are really bad, some are interesting, a few are overpowered, and more might be if the "while camping" and other seemingly impossible-to-meet conditions are impossible to trigger.

There's one that gives nothing but penalties under what should be impossible conditions, so it probably does nothing, which is funny and no doubt what the backer intended.

EDIT: For example the trinket "Pharmakon" gives +2% Crit, +5% Damage, +2 Accuracy, and has the penalty "-8% Virtue Chance While Camping." Even if that were just blanket -Virtue Chance it's pretty drat strong. A number of them also increase the damage you take on Death's Door as a penalty, which is meaningless because damage amounts don't matter on Death's Door.

EDIT EDIT: "Starbreaker" has three instances of +4 Speed and three instances of -13% Heal Skills on First Round. Yeah +12 Speed that's not overpowered.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 2, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The hellion is a really good position 1 with Wicked Hack, If It Bleeds, Iron Swan, and Adrenaline Rush. It lets her hit every position for solid damage and also gives her a way to self-heal/purge DOTs. None of those skills apply debuffs so you don't have to worry about any of that nonsense. The only debuff skill I sometimes run on the hellion is breakthrough, solely because it lets her move forward. Its useful to swap adrenaline rush out for it if I'm worried about shuffles or an ambush.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

StrixNebulosa posted:

That sounds fun.

edit: It is!

So is this a reference to something or what

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Macaluso posted:

So is this a reference to something or what

Iiiiit's music I've never heard of!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Oh zzzzzzz

Of course it's metal. Goddamned nerds. Where's the Backstreet Boys trinket

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The Brigand 12 Pounder just cost me two of my best guys. :smith: Had to retreat to avoid the whole thing being a wash.

The matchstick man on veteran is a dodgy little prick. The constant stream of blanket fire crit gunmen didn't help either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fallie
Jun 21, 2009

FreeKillB posted:

Holy hell, the Formless Flesh (or whatever the champion version is) is serious loving business. I brought an Arbalest-Vestal-Dogemaster-Hellion party that was specced for DPS against it, and it just hammered my back ranks into death's door way way faster than I was expecting. I guess it might have gone better if I had brought more +dodge trinkets, since I was abusing hound's harry to do absurd bleed damage. This was the first champion boss I felt like I wasn't overprepared for, and the first time I chose to forgo hunting for extra loot after the boss kill. Only five bosses left before I'm clear. Not looking forward to the clown car cannon, but the other bosses seem reasonable if I prepare with their gimmicks in mind.

I thought I went into this fight prepared, using an Arbalest-Occulist-Houndmaster-Hellion party. The strategy was to go all-out offense with eldritch-slaying rings on, Houndmaster using the multi-target bleed, Occultist stabbing and ceiling spaghetti-ing, Arbalest and Hellion single-targeting heart parts. Didn't work all too well. I won, but the piece of poo poo killed off my only Arbalest and the Houndmaster. I am not really sure how to deal with the head dealing 20 damage to two targets while also applying a 4/turn bleed. I have been able to prepare and pretty much control all the other champion-level boss fights, but not this one. Now I'm thinking that maybe a party of 4 Houndmasters would have been better, where the 2 front liners protect the back row with Guard and have the back row spam bleed.