Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Peachstapler posted:

Hillary is down to 22 cents in Iowa. Bernie must have pulled ahead?

The comments were talking about the district delegates, where Bernie is ahead. Except now reading the rules, we don't think those count, and instead the PLDs count, where Hillary is leading.

Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
lol I've profited from Cruz pulling a Nixonian-style shanking on Ben Carson.

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/694367339157032960

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Aliquid posted:

nah it's 90% in

He's going to get infuriatingly close by the time the last vote is tallied, I think. But probably just short.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Whatever the cost for a better server is, I will pay for it personally.

gently caress this poo poo. Cost me hundreds in potential winnings.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Gibberish posted:

Holy gently caress goodbye 75 bucks

How the gently caress did Ted Cruz win this

You were way to confident about this. I'm relieved that you only lost $75.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
I would make a strategic trade as a result of this news, but that would require the site actually loading.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

ah poo poo I didn't get them

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Basically all the order-walls were gobbled up in the past few hours of chaos so any large order is going to result in huge swings in either direction. It's essentially a gamble where you'll end up when your shares are finally processed.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Like, Ted Cruz is even more of a Bush 2.0 than Jeb Bush

He's so loving slimy

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Necc0 posted:

Basically all the order-walls were gobbled up in the past few hours of chaos so any large order is going to result in huge swings in either direction. It's essentially a gamble where you'll end up when your shares are finally processed.
Better strategy on big nights like this seems to be to make your predictions before the chaos starts, make peace with your decision and pray to God/trickster or money deity/the devil/etc.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Omi-Polari posted:

Better strategy on big nights like this seems to be to make your predictions before the chaos starts, make peace with your decision and pray to God/trickster deity/the devil/etc.

That's what I'll be doing going forward - no sense in trying to ride the connectivity waves.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
These jackals are taking a 10% vig and a 5% withdraw fee and they can't handle the COMPLETELY PREDICTABLE traffic spike?

Maybe these clowns should stop spending money on debate parties.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Man, I'm glad I held onto my trump NOs. Sad that I chickened out on dumping my floating cash into them when there were at like 35 cents; it's looking like it's going to be a long road for my Bernie NOs.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Liquidated my Clinton YES shares at .10 and now it looks like they hosed up the understanding of the rules; she's back up to .69. This is super fun.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Arkane posted:

These jackals are taking a 10% vig and a 5% withdraw fee and they can't handle the COMPLETELY PREDICTABLE traffic spike?

Maybe these clowns should stop spending money on debate parties.

I guess it's going to be like this every Tuesday going forward

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Aliquid posted:

Liquidated my Clinton YES shares at .10 and now it looks like they hosed up the understanding of the rules; she's back up to .69. This is super fun.

Lol wtf? It was obvious that she was going to win all night dude.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Out: Mexico pays for THE WALL
In: PredictIt pays for THE WALL

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Yay incredibly laggy site making me 60 extra dollars when I tried to sell for a smaller number and my order didn't come through until much later!

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Aliquid posted:

God drat how much money did you lose?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

^^ Overall tonight about 50% of my portfolio.

Hillary YES now at .95, lol shoot me

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Hopefully they can come up with a better server setup soon.

I'm talking out of my rear end, obviously, but I'd assume that any extra server costs would be paid for by all the money in commissions they're losing right now.

I'd be trading all night if it wasn't a several minute process to make one trade.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Hopefully they can come up with a better server setup soon.

I'm talking out of my rear end, obviously, but I'd assume that any extra server costs would be paid for by all the money in commissions they're losing right now.

I'd be trading all night if it wasn't a several minute process to make one trade.

Don't count on it. This isn't the first time their servers have been :goon:ed and they didn't do anything about it before.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
THIS IS WHY I TOLD YOU GUYS ABOUT THE BUY $.99 SELL $.01 TRICK WEEKS AGO

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Decided to jump off Bernie no at 90 just to stop worrying about it. Still almost doubled my money. Gonna start looking toward NH.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Good night for me. Finally made a decent profit on my initial investment, and also made up the losses playing day-by-day for the past two weeks.

I'm bad at playing the day-by-day game, extremely bad at playing polls, okay at playing pennies for worthless candidates, and really good at predicting... Iowa at least.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Necc0 posted:

THIS IS WHY I TOLD YOU GUYS ABOUT THE BUY $.99 SELL $.01 TRICK WEEKS AGO

the what trick?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
The Trump Nom YES market is bouncing back, I was briefly -$23.00

E: Oh god dammit it dropped again. Save me New Hampshire!

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Prices are going wacky races again if anyone wants in/out

Abel Wingnut posted:

the what trick?

The price you put in on an order isn't necessarily the price you pay when your order is in the front of the line. They will always give you the best price available once your shares execute. This is helpful when the site is sluggish like now where instead of running to wear the ball was you can put in a buy (or sell) order where the market will be and your shares will execute on any deal that's better than the price you put in.

So for example if you're sure Hillary is going to win Iowa and the price is fluctuating like crazy, instead of trying to hit the exact price it happens to be selling at 10 minutes from now instead put in a buy order at $.90 or $.99. When your order is in the front of the line it will automatically purchase the best priced shares on the market wherever they're at. Same goes for selling.

I was able to get some Hillary Yes shares in the mid-40s this way even though they were listed at .75 when I put the order in.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FourLeaf posted:

The Trump Nom YES market is bouncing back, I was briefly -$23.00

dead cat bounce

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Aliquid posted:

The person who wrote the loving rules did not have even the most basic understanding of the caucus process. It's completely bullshit.

That said, I sold all my Hillary No shares at a gain. :)

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Site seems to have come back to life

edit: lol nevermind

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

So what was the issue with the rules on the Dem Caucus that caused the Hillary drop? I'm not sure I understand what the problem was

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Garrand posted:

So what was the issue with the rules on the Dem Caucus that caused the Hillary drop? I'm not sure I understand what the problem was

There's a difference between actual delegates and precinct delegates. The market was about precinct delegates.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Garrand posted:

It's practically a tradition at this point. In the middle of a frenzy someone will drop a bullshit re-interpretation of the rules in the comments and causes people to panic. Five minutes later everyone realizes it was bullshit and it triggers another panic as people try to recover what they lost.

Necc0 posted:

• READ THE ACTUAL RULES OF THE MARKET BEFORE BUYING ANYTHING
  • READ THE ACTUAL RULES OF THE MARKET BEFORE BUYING ANYTHING
  • Don't take advice from the comments section

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Aliquid posted:

There's a difference between actual delegates and precinct delegates. The market was about precinct delegates.

Necc0 posted:

It's practically a tradition at this point. In the middle of a frenzy someone will drop a bullshit re-interpretation of the rules in the comments and causes people to panic. Five minutes later everyone realizes it was bullshit and it triggers another panic as people try to recover what they lost.

Oh. Since the site was slow I didn't bother with comments. Finally getting to the page the rules state

quote:

The candidate receiving the greatest share of delegate support in the 2016 precinct-level Democratic Iowa caucuses shall be the candidate identified in the answer, according to Iowa Democratic Party.

I guess I can see how there might be some confusion but it does specify precinct-level caucuses. :shrug:

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Right now, the comments section has a few people trying to cause a panic over what happens in a tie. So that's a thing.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
They should open a "Jeb out before Super Tuesday?" market.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
PredictIt may face their first big controversy....a delegate TIE (precinct delegates, obv).

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FourLeaf posted:

They should open a "Jeb out before Super Tuesday?" market.

No, they shouldn't. I would go in on that one too hard and lose what I have left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I could swear I remember reading that in the case of a tie all NOs would resolve, but that's not part of any rules I can find so that might have been some bs in the comments or in the thread?

I'm curious to see how it goes.

• Locked thread