Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Smol posted:

Playing as the Incas. Where do I put this city? I'm thinking on the Marble or where the Warrior is right now, but perhaps being coastal would be better?

I'd put it on the tile directly southeast of where your settler is currently standing. That gives you a coast, an adjacent mountain for an observatory, Old Faithful, and those cows to the southwest if you can beat the city-state to them. And still in range of fish and crabs (though unless you come up with cash for tile buying the city state is going to beat you to the crabs. Can't have everything.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Next to the marble on the coast. It gets you:

Coastal trade to your cap
2 luxuries (even if the crab is redundant)
mountain for observatory
old faithful
circus
reasonable growth and prod

It's only vulnerable to being attacked by 3 frigates without range, so they'd just go for your cap instead.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Etalommi posted:

Next to the marble on the coast. It gets you:

Coastal trade to your cap
2 luxuries (even if the crab is redundant)
mountain for observatory
old faithful
circus
reasonable growth and prod

It's only vulnerable to being attacked by 3 frigates without range, so they'd just go for your cap instead.
It also gets that hill SW of the stone that has 3 adjacent mountains. 4 if the game counts nat wonders as mountains for TF purposes.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The game does count natural wonders as mountains. I built Machu Picchu on top of Old Faithful once.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Must be quite a sight.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Etalommi posted:

Two additional frigates can fire over the cow tile. I’d still put the city there.

Bird in a Blender posted:

The game does count natural wonders as mountains. I built Machu Picchu on top of Old Faithful once.

Sort of. Most natural wonders count as mountains for the purpose of building observatories (Lake Victoria is the one I can remember that does not, but there are others), but none of them count for purposes of building wonders.

The wonder graphic can appear on them, yes, but only had the option to construct Machu Picchu or Neuschwanstein because you also owned an ordinary mountain within two tiles of the city.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

Must be quite a sight.

The real world is kind of disappointing, in comparison.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Two additional frigates can fire over the cow tile. I’d still put the city there.

Ah, true. My bad.

Platystemon posted:

Sort of. Most natural wonders count as mountains for the purpose of building observatories (Lake Victoria is the one I can remember that does not, but there are others), but none of them count for purposes of building wonders.

Observatory-valid Natural Wonders: Mt. Fuji, Grand Mesa, Krakatoa, Old Faithful, Rock of Gibraltar, Cerro de Potosi, Mt. Kailash, Mt. Sinai, Sri Pada, Uluru, Mt. Kilimanjaro

Non-mountain Natural Wonders: Barringer Crater, Barrier Reef, Fountain of Youth, El Dorado, King Solomon's Mines, Lake Victoria

iirc lake vic and foy do provide fresh water, though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Unless you're fighting a human, frigate rushes are of little concern. And even then, I'd aim for the best economic yield, and aim to defeat enemy frigates in the field.

Also, the crabs are fine, it's the same ring for you as for the city state, and it will pop after the horses.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

That's an ok time to do a quick 50 coin pop for a resource imo.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
So I just got Brave New World and I love the Great Works of Art system but I'm slightly disappointed that my favorite piece of classical music didn't make the cut for the game. How simple would it be to mod in a new Great Musician with a piece of audio for his great work and how would I go about it? I've checked and the mod doesn't already exist.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

somepartsareme posted:

So I just got Brave New World and I love the Great Works of Art system but I'm slightly disappointed that my favorite piece of classical music didn't make the cut for the game. How simple would it be to mod in a new Great Musician with a piece of audio for his great work and how would I go about it? I've checked and the mod doesn't already exist.

Pretty easy. There's a bunch of mods in the Workshop that do it, you could open up this one (or whichever one you like) in a text editor, copy the code, and replace all the references to the old music.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
Is there an active steamgroup for multiplayer games with goons?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm relatively new to Civ 5, but I love this game. It's a lot of fun!

I think the most impressive part of the game is actually the music. It's got a really great soundtrack! I rolled random and ended up playing as Indonesia for the first time (at about ~350 hours) and holy poo poo their music is so good. The civ itself is kind of mediocre but oh well. Anyway bye!

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

LemonyTang posted:

Is there an active steamgroup for multiplayer games with goons?

I have a question in a similar vein, but it's more of a "how can anyone finish a multiplayer game in Civ V?"

Myself and a few goons have been trying to work through everything for the past 2-ish weeks and have yet to make it out of the industrial age before the game crashes, our save is corrupted, and we can no longer play (at least, not all of us). If I missed an earlier explanation, I apologize, but this is driving us nuts.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Molothecat posted:

I have a question in a similar vein, but it's more of a "how can anyone finish a multiplayer game in Civ V?"

Myself and a few goons have been trying to work through everything for the past 2-ish weeks and have yet to make it out of the industrial age before the game crashes, our save is corrupted, and we can no longer play (at least, not all of us). If I missed an earlier explanation, I apologize, but this is driving us nuts.

You should play with this. He's done a fair bit of work trying to resolve MP issues.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Gort posted:

You should play with this. He's done a fair bit of work trying to resolve MP issues.

The game still vomits all over itself, if you dare having barbarians turned on during a multiplayer session.

Or has that been fixed in the latest patch?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

THE BAR posted:

The game still vomits all over itself, if you dare having barbarians turned on during a multiplayer session.

Or has that been fixed in the latest patch?

The CPP gets updated so often it's hard to keep up, but the version that was released three days ago had this:

"I strongly recommend to download this new beta, as it includes the new MP fixes!"

attached to it.

There's a new version that came out today though.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I just finished a 3 person 3 ai game today and we didn't so much as have a resync issue. Aside from the game being absurdly long and ill suited to a single multiplayer session even on quick, I haven't had any problems with base BNW pertaining to netcode issues or bugs, and certainly no corrupted saves.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
This game is so rad. Playing as Huns, Dido declared on me right as I finished researching pikemen and sent over 5 elephants. Took 2 cities with my rams, and she gave me another in peace deal, leaving her with just the capital.
Get wrecked, Carthage scum :smug:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I keep running into situations where I'll buy a tile near an AI civ, and they'll ask me to promise not to do it again. I'll tell them to gently caress off, and then like 80 turns later they'll get all mad saying that I broke a promise and kept buying land, even though I never made that promise and sometimes hadn't bought a single tile since then. Then I get a diplomacy hit for breaking a promise and everyone denounces me. Is this a glitch with the game itself or with mods? I'm only using Show Move-To and Really Advanced Setup.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

RyokoTK posted:

I keep running into situations where I'll buy a tile near an AI civ, and they'll ask me to promise not to do it again. I'll tell them to gently caress off, and then like 80 turns later they'll get all mad saying that I broke a promise and kept buying land, even though I never made that promise and sometimes hadn't bought a single tile since then. Then I get a diplomacy hit for breaking a promise and everyone denounces me. Is this a glitch with the game itself or with mods? I'm only using Show Move-To and Really Advanced Setup.

I have experienced this as well, for as long as I can remember. I've always assumed this was a glitch but I can't be sure due to running a lot of mods.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I have never run mods and I have had that happen too

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Okay. Well I guess I'll just deal with it. The whole "covets land you own" system is so poorly done. It's amazing when the civ north of my empire gets all mad at me for founding a city on the south side of my empire, because I know that was just lovely implementation of a reasonable idea (the AI getting mad at forward settling).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm pretty sure that happens because even your natural cultural expansion counts as taking land near them and is regarded as breaking a promise.

I've soured on Civ V over time because the diplomacy is both lobotomized and broken in very aggravating ways. I still prefer the gameplay over IV because good god are doomstacks terrible, but here's hoping Civ VI features actual meaningful diplomacy (seriously, even Civ II had better diplomacy than V) and fixes the 1UPT silliness.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm pretty sure that happens because even your natural cultural expansion counts as taking land near them and is regarded as breaking a promise.

But how can you break a promise you never actually made? That's the weird thing going on here. I mean, beyond CiV's diplomacy being objectively broken.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
My most recent memory of Civ 2 diplomacy was a glitch that came with the Gold edition, where all AIs were permanently Icy or Hostile and all diplomacy was even more of a waste of time than it is in 5.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I like that "Gandhi loves nukes" was a bug, but is now part of Civ lore

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
These are pretty bad games, aren't they.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

TBS games are bad, yes. On a strategic level in particular. Tactical is ok sometimes.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

RyokoTK posted:

Okay. Well I guess I'll just deal with it. The whole "covets land you own" system is so poorly done. It's amazing when the civ north of my empire gets all mad at me for founding a city on the south side of my empire, because I know that was just lovely implementation of a reasonable idea (the AI getting mad at forward settling).

It would be much better if they followed a more Europa Universalis 4 philosophy for this kind of stuff, where you can say "Northern Finland is an area of immense importance to my country" and the AI can as well and you can actually goddamn tell that they've done it

The Community Patch Pack makes this behaviour a lot better and more evenly applied as well. For example, did you know that in vanilla Civ 5 AIs never tell each other off for buying tiles near each other, or putting lots of units on their borders, or founding cities next to each other? They only hate the human for that.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

My favorite land dispute thing is when you have an area generally settled and borders pretty far out, but then the AI decides to squeeze a city onto a mostly worthless plot of land. Then they get all pissed off at you because they covet all the land you've been on for 100 turns already. It's so stupid, but I guess that's pretty typical.

Had a bug the other day where barbarians kept spawning in my territory even though I had was at 0 happiness. They were showing up every turn too, which I don't even get when I do happen to be at -10, usually there are at least a few turns in between. Went to an autosave and it was fine luckily.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
That's the weirdest bug I've ever heard of. You sure it wasn't just bad random chance and it was normal barbarians spawning nearby and immediately moving into your territory, then reloading and doing one thing differently rerolled your seed? Still, at least you fixed it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

I'm relatively new to Civ 5, but I love this game. It's a lot of fun!

RyokoTK posted:

:xcom:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

In fairness, I've been playing Civ games for about 20 years (I skipped 4, though), so I already knew they were bad, they're just also fun despite being bad.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

RyokoTK posted:

People have been digging into the files, and it seems that 'Covets Land you Own' is triggered by two major conditions. The first is, as would be expected, natural expansion. They want more land to settle, or expand, and you occupy it. Overlapping city radii count, so your city could be 9 hexes away from one of theirs, and because there are those tiles that are equally 5 hexes away from each city, they will covet them, and hate you for it.

The other is resources. Because the AI cheats (duh) and knows where all the resources on the map are, even if they don't have the tech to see or exploit them. Naturally, the AI will try to claim these resources, much like the player would. Except they know ahead of time where they are, and if you're unknowingly sitting on 21 Coal and 14 Uranium during the Renaissance, and they aren't, they will covet your lands.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Coal being so important and rare at the same time is pretty annoying. Just had a game where my big-rear end 12 city continent (conquered both civs that started there with me with comp bows) didn't have any coal.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Smol posted:

Coal being so important and rare at the same time is pretty annoying. Just had a game where my big-rear end 12 city continent (conquered both civs that started there with me with comp bows) didn't have any coal.

That's one reason why I strongly favor using the 'strategic balance' resource setting when starting a new game. It's partly because that's what you do in MP, but it also avoids those frustrations.

EDIT: I double checked and strategic balance may not include aluminum and coal in the base game. But I use the NQ Pangea map, which does include them.

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 19, 2016

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I use standard settings in MP. If everyone had all the strategic resources, there wouldn't be any point to them being in the game at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I agree with Gort. Part of the strategy of the game is the opportunity cost of grabbing strategic resources, or cutting off your neighbours access to the same.

But I also play with CBP where every strategic resource is actually valuable.

• Locked thread