Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

It's been a good day, should be up to about $3000 again (from $1000 total deposits). Might just cash out at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Vox Nihili posted:

It's been a good day, should be up to about $3000 again (from $1000 total deposits). Might just cash out at this point.

I wish I had those kind of numbers. I went in at 70 and came out at about 140 - fees, so success was had. Gonna see if I can keep growing it.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Vox Nihili posted:

Might just cash out at this point.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Garrand posted:

I could swear I remember reading that in the case of a tie all NOs would resolve, but that's not part of any rules I can find so that might have been some bs in the comments or in the thread?

I'm curious to see how it goes.

That is dumb and makes no sense, because there are not 0 winners, there are 2 winners. You either unwind the trades, except for those that did lose (O'Malley, Biden, etc.) or you expire both at 50.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Update your iOS you weirdo

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Garrand posted:

I wish I had those kind of numbers. I went in at 70 and came out at about 140 - fees, so success was had. Gonna see if I can keep growing it.

It's taken months to get to $3000. Lots of stupid moves along the way.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

But the winner is the person who gets the most delegates. If they have the same amount then neither candidate can win.
Also I'm not saying that's how it should be. I'm really curious as to how PI will actually resolve a tie.

Vox Nihili posted:

It's taken months to get to $3000. Lots of stupid moves along the way.

Good to hear. I'm in this for the long haul.

This actually leads me to a question; how active are sites like PI during non-major election seasons? Once November rolls around and the huge bullshit around the Presidential Election ends are there enough users left over to keep the site running and making profits for the smart betters?

Garrand has issued a correction as of 06:26 on Feb 2, 2016

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Arkane posted:

That is dumb and makes no sense, because there are not 0 winners, there are 2 winners. You either unwind the trades, except for those that did lose (O'Malley, Biden, etc.) or you expire both at 50.

There is really no justification for going Yes or No in case of a tie. The only thing you can be certain of is that it will not expire at 50c and it will not return your money--it will simply resolve one way or another.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I really thought I'd be up $1k at the end of the night but I'm down $500, that's the way the Trumpie crumbles I guess.

I'm mostly really glad I hedged my bet so much in the actual Iowa.GOP market, I was second guessing myself all day thinking I should sell those Trump No's at like 35c.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
From now on I'm only buying 90%+ stocks

gently caress you Ted Cruz, I hope your dick falls off

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Arkane posted:

No he's right the 'No' shares typically default to paying out in the event of anything fucky happening. Read the rules. "...receiving the greatest share of delegate support..."

Greatest != Tie

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Vox Nihili posted:

There is really no justification for going Yes or No in case of a tie. The only thing you can be certain of is that it will not expire at 50c and it will not return your money--it will simply resolve one way or another.

This is exactly how other prediction markets handle it. It's the only logical way to handle expiry. I get that this is a mickey mouse operation, but expiring everything at 0 makes no sense, and you've basically defrauded a large amount of people.

You either unwind/void the bets or have dual winners.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Some of you have way more in here than I do. I'll be up about $80 - 100, depending on how much Trump recovers in NH, but I would have been up $200 if I had just done nothing, turned off my computer and went to the gym like I should have.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Arkane posted:

This is exactly how other prediction markets handle it. It's the only logical way to handle expiry. I get that this is a mickey mouse operation, but expiring everything at 0 makes no sense, and you've basically defrauded a large amount of people.

You either unwind/void the bets or have dual winners.

Welcome to the jungle, friend. (But really, dual winners makes no more sense than dual losers. The reality is that they failed to make it clear in the rules beforehand.)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Welcome to the jungle, friend.

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/694390253306691584?ref_src=twsrc

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Hillary is still an absolutely 100% lock incase anyone wants to earn a 15-10% return.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

MSNBC is reporting that there were 3 coin tosses and Hillary is 3-0

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Tonight is the best night for anyone who wants to make a bunch of easy money. Bernie's going to win NH which will cause a reactive surge against Hillary, meaning everyone here will be able to pick up a bunch of cheap Hillary shares in the near future. Trump losing means that the markets will lose faith in him, despite him clearly being heavily favored in the next few primaries. Trump supporters are going to turn out in droves in response to Iowa.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

a cop posted:

Hillary is still an absolutely 100% lock incase anyone wants to earn a 15-10% return.

Bernie.NO is bouncing all over the place right now, jeez

What makes it 100% though? They're pretty close right now, it seems like things could still resolve in Bern's favor

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

What makes it 100% though? They're pretty close right now, it seems like things could still resolve in Bern's favor

There's a recount or some other fuckery happening now, lord save those with open shares.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Flavahbeast posted:

Yeah....it sucks to be maxed out. The Bernliebers are the Paulites all over again.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Joe Biden up 2c for the nomination! Feeling the Bidmentum!

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Flavahbeast posted:

Hillary's people will do anything to see her win.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

a cop posted:

Tonight is the best night for anyone who wants to make a bunch of easy money. Bernie's going to win NH which will cause a reactive surge against Hillary, meaning everyone here will be able to pick up a bunch of cheap Hillary shares in the near future. Trump losing means that the markets will lose faith in him, despite him clearly being heavily favored in the next few primaries. Trump supporters are going to turn out in droves in response to Iowa.
Media hype is an amazing thing, and after all that ... Iowa votes in a rather predictable, historical way. At least for the Republicans, the Evangelical Christian won per usual. Trump was basically Romney, leading in the polls and attracting secular voters but underperforming. And it was James Carville who said days ago he put (actual) money on Cruz.

But Trump was leading on PI right until it turns out until reality happened, whoops. PI is a reflection of media hype, not reality.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I stayed out of the Trump market for fear that he'd somehow buck the trend with media hype, but I'm glad I was wrong.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
This Iowa market can eat a dick

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I just dipped my toe into the Hill-dog market with 25 bucks on Bernie No at 85%

Gotta offset that Trump Stumping any way I can

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
BUY BUY BUY

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gibberish posted:

Yeah I just dipped my toe into the Hill-dog market with 25 bucks on Bernie No at 85%

Just buy Hildawg for the nom/Bernie no for the nom and wait for the cash to roll in.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Hah I just flipped Clinton-Iowa-YES twice. Good stuff.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I unwound my Hillary Iowa YES's because I'm worried about tie shenanigans. It'll cost me about $100 but gently caress it. I'll let my Bernie NO's ride.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gibberish posted:

Flip it, don't hold for god's sake, it might as well be a molten ingot in your hands.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Vox Nihili posted:

Flip it, don't hold for god's sake, it might as well be a molten ingot in your hands.

It's at like 86 now, I would make $0.25 if I did that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIFt436r9FU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
We need a WILL DONALD TRUMP WIN ANY STATES? market asap.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Arkane posted:

You ask, I deliver: https://www.predictit.org/Contract/1526/Will-Donald-Trump-win-any-Republican-primaries-or-caucuses#data

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Flavahbeast posted:

I put a bid up for 100 Rubio NO shares in nevada at 2c each a couple nights ago and in all the excitement over the last two hours someone seems to have bought them :toot:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
:captainpop:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Arkane posted:

This is a good market to buy YES in right now. It has dropped from 94c before Iowa to like 77c. Apparently everyone forgot he has a 20pt lead in NH.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

lol holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Stereotype posted:

This is a good market to buy YES in right now. It has dropped from 94c before Iowa to like 77c. Apparently everyone forgot he has a 20pt lead in NH.

please buy yes

• Locked thread