Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I sold my Bernie.NO shares for 90, couldn't wait even though I'm sure I just gave away an easy 10%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Stereotype posted:

This is a good market to buy YES in right now. It has dropped from 94c before Iowa to like 77c. Apparently everyone forgot he has a 20pt lead in NH.

Rubio NO in NH seems like a good buy too, there are a ton of shares available at .75. I've taken most of the money I earned from Trump death and poured it into betting on Trump in NH

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

I just dropped like $40 on YES TRUMP in a bunch of markets. I mean this sort of panic selling doesn't really seem reasonable for someone getting approximately the caucus support that polls predicted.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Stereotype posted:

I just dropped like $40 on YES TRUMP in a bunch of markets. I mean this sort of panic selling doesn't really seem reasonable for someone getting approximately the caucus support that polls predicted.

~~horse race journalism~~

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Looks like there was virtually no chance of a tie, because the Democrats go out to the second decimal place for delegates. Crisis averted.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Snipe alert: https://www.predictit.org/Contract/509/Will-Ted-Cruz-win-the-2016-Republican-presidential-nomination#data

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Man I was on a flight watching the caucuses last night and knew I was getting reamed on my trump bets.. looks like there was nothing I could have done even if I had internet :haw:

Glad I got those extra Rubio RNOM shares now!

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Thanks for making me lose 2 bucks, you Rand Paul #2 in Iowa nerds.

Never bet on Paul

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hiUuL5uTKc

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

You beautiful bastard

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Good night yesterday, my only regret is that I bought into the Carson Dropout train and didn't sell when I could. It was only a dollar, though.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Well, I lost big with Trump, but I'm getting back on the train. There was so much fluctuation last night, hope some people made out big. What's everyone looking at now for some potential rebound stocks with the market settling a bit before NH? I'm considering the potentially disastrous strategy of going back in on Trump again depending on what the next 1-2 polls look like. He may have underperformed in a caucus state with little organization, but if he polls show him way outside the margin of error in a primary state like NH, then I think it's a good bet.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I'm pretty heavily invested in Trump winning NH. It was down into the 60s earlier today and he is leading in the polls by a factor of 3. I expect him to underperform but not by that much.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
This morning was an excellent time to buy Trump. Hell it's still good in certain markets.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

:toot:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

railroad terror posted:

Well, I lost big with Trump, but I'm getting back on the train. There was so much fluctuation last night, hope some people made out big. What's everyone looking at now for some potential rebound stocks with the market settling a bit before NH? I'm considering the potentially disastrous strategy of going back in on Trump again depending on what the next 1-2 polls look like. He may have underperformed in a caucus state with little organization, but if he polls show him way outside the margin of error in a primary state like NH, then I think it's a good bet.

Trump certainly is a better buy in NH. No caucuses means that a disadvantage in voter GOTY structure is less important.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
At some point in the middle of the chaos my ten Clinton No Iowa shares sold at 70c somehow.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

10 hours later and i'm almost done

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

I would sell off your caucus shares. Those last two pennies aren't worth unexpected fuckies

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Vox Nihili posted:

At some point in the middle of the chaos my ten Clinton No Iowa shares sold at 70c somehow.

Yeah she plummeted down to the 30s when the commenters started reinterpreting the rules and there weren't any walls to slow down the panic. Managed to get about 60 shares in the mid 40s during that swing :toot:

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Arkane posted:

You do know he's heavily favored to win NH, yeah?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Gibberish posted:

You do know he's heavily favored to win NH, yeah?

dang

I guess it's a bad bet then

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

gently caress that's a ballsy bet.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Ugh guess it's time to sell my Hillary YES. PI isn't going to resolve this thing for a while and the comments are full of Sanders conspiracy mongers saying Hillary used her evil witch powers to flip the coin or whatever the gently caress, keeping the price I can sell at at 95 cents. I really can't wait for Sanders to drop out, his supporters are annoying as hell.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

pathetic little tramp posted:

Ugh guess it's time to sell my Hillary YES. PI isn't going to resolve this thing for a while and the comments are full of Sanders conspiracy mongers saying Hillary used her evil witch powers to flip the coin or whatever the gently caress, keeping the price I can sell at at 95 cents. I really can't wait for Sanders to drop out, his supporters are annoying as hell.

Sanders owns but his supporters are basically millions of insufferable goony goons

like look at the people who were all milquetoast gabbas in the "$hillary fraud!!!" video and imagine that multiplied by however many supporters he has

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Necc0 posted:

I would sell off your caucus shares. Those last two pennies aren't worth unexpected fuckies

Yeah I sold hill at .96. Lost out on ten bucks if it goes her way but oh well.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Sandernista tears are delicious to drink when you're profiting off his losses.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Arkane posted:

dang

I guess it's a bad bet then

I mean I'm just saying there are other markets with similar or lower prices that aren't really really heavily studied and scrutinized and could flip much faster, unlike that one

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
What I think I learned from Iowa:

1. Trump has the polling but his organization is amateur and it failed in Iowa. You can say, well, maybe Trump didn't do a bad job, maybe Cruz just did an exceptional job. Maybe. But they seem to have been caught flat footed. It's a big job to set this stuff up. Trump may have underestimated that. How unprepared is he for the remaining states?

2. People are turning out to vote against Trump. Watch out for second choices in NH. Cruz, Rubio, Kasich seem to be popular second choices based on the polling I've seen. Somehow Rubio swung people in Iowa in the last week, although I'm not quite sure how.

I can see a lot more paths to a NH loss now for Trump.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Gibberish posted:

I mean I'm just saying there are other markets with similar or lower prices that aren't really really heavily studied and scrutinized and could flip much faster, unlike that one

I don't like that market either, because I can get Trump NO's in NH for a similar price. However, if you're already maxed on on Trump NH NO...there's a good reason to believe that a NH loss = the end of Trump

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

District Selectman posted:

1. Trump has the polling but his organization is amateur and it failed in Iowa. You can say, well, maybe Trump didn't do a bad job, maybe Cruz just did an exceptional job. Maybe. But they seem to have been caught flat footed. It's a big job to set this stuff up. Trump may have underestimated that. How unprepared is he for the remaining states?

2. People are turning out to vote against Trump. Watch out for second choices in NH. Cruz, Rubio, Kasich seem to be popular second choices based on the polling I've seen. Somehow Rubio swung people in Iowa in the last week, although I'm not quite sure how.

I've put in a little bit of money to sell short, but I'm holding my powder for a day or two on big bets on who will win NH.

Iowa is fairly predictable -- evangelical ground game wins. Cruz had that. (Establishment candidates can also win if they appeal to evangelicals, like George W. Bush did.) NH is weird and I don't understand it, and I think it's possible Trump still prevails there as it's swung toward hard-right populists before; Pat Buchanan in '96. Trump is basically a Jacksonian/Buchananite candidate.

Which reminds me to read up on the 1992 Democratic primaries since it was the last really big wide-open primary scramble.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gibberish posted:

Sanders owns but his supporters are basically millions of insufferable goony goons

like look at the people who were all milquetoast gabbas in the "$hillary fraud!!!" video and imagine that multiplied by however many supporters he has

Yes, is is a well-known fact that 80% of people below age 40 are "goony goons."

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Honestly yeah pretty much

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

For NH at least he's set, IMO. As I said before, it's a more straightforward game in NH compared to IA. You had a combination of factors, such as the evangelical ground game that was mentioned, alongside actual campaign apparatuses that Trump simply didn't have. The addition of a skipped debate also probably pushed it away from Trump. In IH, he has the ridiculous polling advantage and the advantage of a simple primary state. The rest of the states, I don't know. He's lost a lot of luster from IA, and now you have Rubio having his upswing exactly when he wanted it.

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

My recap from last night:

I lost both coin flips but I'm not even mad because that was a fun sweat and I've lost more in a roll of the dice at craps before so :shrug:

Also there's always this to make my money back:

I dunno why everyone was surprised the site sucked. They literally sent out an email a few days ago saying basically "lol we suck our servers suck you're hosed on Monday gl hf."
So yeah I made peace with my bets the day before and let 'em ride.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Omi-Polari posted:

I've put in a little bit of money to sell short, but I'm holding my powder for a day or two on big bets on who will win NH.

Iowa is fairly predictable -- evangelical ground game wins. Cruz had that. (Establishment candidates can also win if they appeal to evangelicals, like George W. Bush did.) NH is weird and I don't understand it, and I think it's possible Trump still prevails there as it's swung toward hard-right populists before; Pat Buchanan in '96. Trump is basically a Jacksonian/Buchananite candidate.

Which reminds me to read up on the 1992 Democratic primaries since it was the last really big wide-open primary scramble.

Other than Buchanan, they've been pretty moderate and in-line:

Romney won by 17+
McCain won by 6
McCain in 2000 won by 18+ over W
Buchanan by 1
HW Bush twice by 10+
Reagan, Ford, Nixon, and in fact, they went against Goldwater in '64

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Other than Buchanan, they've been pretty moderate and in-line:

Romney won by 17+
McCain won by 6
McCain in 2000 won by 18+ over W
Buchanan by 1
HW Bush twice by 10+
Reagan, Ford, Nixon, and in fact, they went against Goldwater in '64
To add to this:

quote:

The more intense, possibly fantastical version of the one-punch theory imagined that an Iowa loss, of any size, could make Trump simply quit the race. If he decided against that, though, there was plenty of precedence for a candidate falling short in Iowa and making a New Hampshire stand. In 1980, Ronald Reagan spent just 36 hours on the ground in Iowa, even skipping a primary debate. He surged back to win New Hampshire. In 1988, the man who had beaten Reagan in Iowa, George H.W. Bush, followed the same plays. In 1996, Pat Buchanan lost Iowa with 23 percent of the vote, just three points behind Robert J. Dole. He moved on to New Hampshire and won. In 2000 and 2008, Sen. John McCain (Ariz.) made early bets to skip Iowa; both years, he won New Hampshire.

[...]

The one-punch theory is just that, a theory. The more worrying Iowa lesson for Trump was that attacks on his record could hold down his vote. Although diehard Trump supporters have written off his old "very pro-choice" views and his musing that Hillary Clinton would be a great secretary of state, the attacks from the new super PAC Our Principles, and the pro-Cruz PAC Keep the Promise — both just rundowns of his liberal answers to questions — seemingly scared off late deciders. In the exit poll, 35 percent of voters who decided before the last month went for Trump. Late deciders broke away from him after that, and voters who decided on the final day put him in a poor third place.

What did that mean for New Hampshire? It wasn't clear. Trump probably suffered from his relative lack of organization, with fewer precinct captains making his case in caucus sites than Cruz or Rubio. Those that did make pro-Trump speeches were amateurs; there was anecdotal evidence that they lost votes.

New Hampshire is nothing like Iowa. Social conservatives matter less, and pulling voters to a traditional vote is easier than getting them to caucus. Although in the final days Iowa had become a three-way race, New Hampshire remained dominated by Trump in the mid-30s, with five Republicans (Rubio, Cruz, former Florida governor Jeb Bush, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Ohio Gov. John Kasich) clustered in the teens behind him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/02/02/liberated-by-iowa-foes-affix-loser-brand-to-trump/

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Arkane posted:

The TRUMP.NHPRMY NO is like 30c, and there is a good chance that if he loses NH he will drop out, seeing as it means his polling numbers have fallen precipitously. So betting that he won't win anything for 20c is the best deal you're gonna get on Trump falling apart.

However:

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
CRUZ:YES for the SC primary seemed like a good bet to make at 36c. I'm nowhere near 100% sure it will happen that way, but seems a drat sight better than 36%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
His lack of organization appears to be a problem in NH too. From the same article:

quote:

"Whatever organization he has in Iowa, it's clearly worse in New Hampshire," Cullen said. "He should be asking his staff what the heck they've been doing for six months. Still, I'd be surprised if Trump were to go from 30 to 15 in a couple of days."

Trump is not Reagan in 80. Trump is closer to Reagan in 76 if anything, which is still a stretch. Reagan had already been a conservative darling for decades. He had the conservative machine (that was soon to come into power) working for him. Trump has no political allies because he's been a politician for about 5 minutes.

• Locked thread