Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I know the guy. He doesn't like the toxic fanbase. Anyways he invited me to playtest this thing. I said I barely know anything about MLP and he said that was good for playtesting. I will report back about how it goes.

This sounds like a horrible trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I know the guy. He doesn't like the toxic fanbase. Anyways he invited me to playtest this thing. I said I barely know anything about MLP and he said that was good for playtesting. I will report back about how it goes.

Edit: also, Golden Sky Stories is great.

Just to be clear, do you mean the "Jesus loving Christ" one on Vincent Baker's site or the one my friend linked me to on Gtip?

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Covok posted:

Just to be clear, do you mean the "Jesus loving Christ" one on Vincent Baker's site or the one my friend linked me to on Gtip?

The one on Vincent Baker's site.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kaja Rainbow posted:

The one on Vincent Baker's site.

Tell us how it turns out. Or the catpiss thread depending on how it turns out.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I don't see why you'd put hours into your life creating something based on other peoples' IP.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's easier to get people on board and interested in something they're already on board and interested in.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Golden Bee posted:

I don't see why you'd put hours into your life creating something based on other peoples' IP.

Babe Magnet posted:

It's easier to get people on board and interested in something they're already on board and interested in.

Pretty much this, yeah. I'm currently testing some ideas for a FATE game I want to make by doing an Eberron hack. Getting feedback for an original game can be hard at times, but a popular, pre-existing franchise is a good way to test out ideas with some assuredness that people will look.

That said, he is probably a brony who wants to play ponies.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Doodmons posted:

Every time I have MCed Apocalypse World it has inexorably descended into PVP and that's completely intentional. The bare minimum is that the situation should inexorably descend into one where two or more PCs are working at complete cross purposes, have incompatible goals, don't like each other and tolerate the other for the greater good. If you try and play happy families, the game will fight you. This is completely intentional. Monsterhearts and Urban Shadows are good because they didn't stray too far from this formula and didn't change the rules that much. Dungeon World and Monster of the Week didn't change the rules that much but tried to completely rewrite the fundamental conceit of gameplay.

I think you're underselling Monster of the Week.

It may SEEM like there are a lot of teamwork moves, but that's deceptive. "Help someone out" is +Cold, so some classes aren't good at teamwork; it doesn't become an increasing bonus like +Bonds. Almost every class is fundamentally flawed: they either have dangerous mystical power (Spell-Slinger, Chosen, The Monstrous), are incapable of really facing the threat (Mundane), are part of a corrupt, secretive group (Initiate, Professional, Divine) or are inherently untrustworthy (Crooked, Flake, Expert, The Wronged).

In practice, you have people going in their own directions because they're all obligated by both allegiance to the group and their own methodology. Will the Professional sell the Monster instead of keeping it? Can the Spooky keep his emotions under control, or will they have a freakout? Is the Flake going to wander off following their own theories?

Last session, the Divine was convinced by her superiors to kill six leaders of a political revolution, brutally, or face consequences. Meanwhile, the Wronged stopped at nothing to go after a Djinn that'd led her to kill her family, while my character bullied the team, trying to keep the peace (and earn the respect of the populace).

So it's a different kind of PVP.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Babe Magnet posted:

This would be why I'm spending a stupid amount of time and effort on writing an Exalted hack.

Also, because I love everything about Exalted except all the things that are published. I think that can be a big motivation - doing something that exists in a way that you like better. Sometimes you can dev just for you.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Golden Bee posted:

I think you're underselling Monster of the Week.

It may SEEM like there are a lot of teamwork moves, but that's deceptive. "Help someone out" is +Cold, so some classes aren't good at teamwork; it doesn't become an increasing bonus like +Bonds. Almost every class is fundamentally flawed: they either have dangerous mystical power (Spell-Slinger, Chosen, The Monstrous), are incapable of really facing the threat (Mundane), are part of a corrupt, secretive group (Initiate, Professional, Divine) or are inherently untrustworthy (Crooked, Flake, Expert, The Wronged).

In practice, you have people going in their own directions because they're all obligated by both allegiance to the group and their own methodology. Will the Professional sell the Monster instead of keeping it? Can the Spooky keep his emotions under control, or will they have a freakout? Is the Flake going to wander off following their own theories?

Last session, the Divine was convinced by her superiors to kill six leaders of a political revolution, brutally, or face consequences. Meanwhile, the Wronged stopped at nothing to go after a Djinn that'd led her to kill her family, while my character bullied the team, trying to keep the peace (and earn the respect of the populace).

So it's a different kind of PVP.

I know the last MotW game our group did we, our final session saw the players split into two completely different schools of thought as to how to take down a kaiju monster assaulting a city. My Flake, the Mad Scientist, and the Wronged went off and convinced the military to let us build a giant deathray to destroy it while the three other players went off to come up with a magic spell to kill it. We kept trying to sabotage each other's efforts and prove that we had the correct theory. So yeah, there's plenty of room for conflict.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
See I would kind of like to play a game more like Hunter the vigil but with easier rules.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
What specific aspects of Hunter are you wanting to keep?

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Covok posted:

Funny thing is that this isn't the first one I've ever seen. My friend linked me to one and did the same horrified shock joke to one he found while on GitP a while back.

That said, this was to be expected. I mean, it's no surprise.

Hello! That's me.

The game started as a pony hack but I didn't want to do 'apocalypse world with ponies'; I wanted to make an RPG about having a really bad day, which is the narrative beat that Friendship is Magic does a lot. It has this in common with things like Hot Fuzz, The Big Lebrewski, The Wrong Mans, Shaun of the Dead, etc, and I quickly hit a point in my design where I was drawing more from the genre of 'Worst Day Ever' films than any one thing in that genre. The result is something like Apocalypse World fused with Fiasco. Take a look - not a single pony mention anywhere in the rules or fluff, I swear.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

DemonMage posted:

What specific aspects of Hunter are you wanting to keep?

Depends I have never actually been able to play it as my local group (if you can call us that) doesn't really like story games as much as just board games. But I kind of like the over arching conspiracies, finding out about monsters and having multiple skills as opposed to the more specialized "One person is the hunter" esc world of Urban Shadows.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
AW2 Kickstarter is live.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Josef bugman posted:

Depends I have never actually been able to play it as my local group (if you can call us that) doesn't really like story games as much as just board games. But I kind of like the over arching conspiracies, finding out about monsters and having multiple skills as opposed to the more specialized "One person is the hunter" esc world of Urban Shadows.

Yeah, that'd be something that MotW does pretty well, with each playbook having their own ways of dealing with monsters. I've ran MotW as a team game and it works great as long as people aren't always rolling 10+s, and even then, it's usually fun for the players. It's not a perfect system by any means, but it does what it says it'll do, and I'd argue there aren't any games that are better at rules-light narrative monster hunting than MotW. It's a pretty shallow genre.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

So I was checking out the website of the folks that made Urban Shadows, and while I like a lot of what I see, it looks like the only archetype of the Wild is the Fae, which seems odd. Am I missing something here?

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

You missed the Tainted. :)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

TurninTrix posted:

You missed the Tainted. :)

So I did! Thanks for the heads up.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Feb 2, 2016

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Wow, that's the shortest text of a kickstarter I think I've ever seen. Straightforward, to the point. Backed.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Mimir posted:

Wow, that's the shortest text of a kickstarter I think I've ever seen. Straightforward, to the point. Backed.

I backed without even looking at the text so I didn't notice.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

I will throw money to a fellow Australian for shared shipping to cut down on postage.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

madadric posted:

I will throw money to a fellow Australian for shared shipping to cut down on postage.

I'm trying to find a couple other people to go in on the four-pack level. Works out to like $52 AUD each I think.

Edit: Actually, if they add a retailer tier I might be able to sort a way to do it cheaper.

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 2, 2016

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I wonder if he'll actually do any stretch goals. Comments seem to point to 'not really'.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Megazver posted:

I wonder if he'll actually do any stretch goals. Comments seem to point to 'not really'.

I kind of appreciate that, to be honest. I think at this point, we've all seen projects go down in flames from trying to complete idiotic stretch goals that they came up with on the spot because they got too much money. I just want the goddamn book.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I can't imagine what kinds of stretch goals he could do, apart from maybe a hardcover (which I'd love).

e: I mean, hell, Dungeon World still hasn't delivered all its stretch goals and that funded in 2012.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

I can't imagine what kinds of stretch goals he could do, apart from maybe a hardcover (which I'd love).

e: I mean, hell, Dungeon World still hasn't delivered all its stretch goals and that funded in 2012.

I wouldn't mind him doing FATE/Blades in the Dark and paying other people to do some extra hack content as stretch goals.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Yeah the majority of initially successful kick-starter failures seem to come from over-ambitious stretch goals. Pirate World just collapsed in on itself due to stretch goals and the Monsterhearts Second Skins stretch goals aren't looking too hot to see the light of day.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hardcover would be very good and cool

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

LordZoric posted:

Yeah the majority of initially successful kick-starter failures seem to come from over-ambitious stretch goals. Pirate World just collapsed in on itself due to stretch goals and the Monsterhearts Second Skins stretch goals aren't looking too hot to see the light of day.

Honestly I'd rather Second Skins just releases the playbooks and delivers the essays later. I only need one of these things for my game, why can't I buy it?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

Hardcover would be very good and cool
I still regret not getting hardcovers of Night Witches and Urban Shadows. They look so good.

Covok
May 27, 2013

While hardcover would be awesome, I much rather Vincent not tank his entire project by getting over zealous. In many ways, he's using it how kickstarter's supposed to be used: a pre-ordering service for a product that hasn't yet been completed. Stretch goals always did seem counter to it and feel more like the results of a frenzied brainstorming session where the accountant was out sick.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
2E versions of the Touchstone, Faceless, Grotesque, Solace and Macaluso would seem like obvious and not-overly-onerous stretch goals though. Or even the more jokey ones - Marmot and Space Marine Mammal.

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 2, 2016

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

2E Vin Diesel all the way.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

LordZoric posted:

2E Vin Diesel all the way.

Idea: The Rock is Vin Diesel 2.0, so the AW2.0 playbook should be The Rock.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
This is your daily reminder that Car Wizards is a game that exists and has the following rule in it:

Car Wizards posted:

When the SM tells you that your car probably can’t do something—like drive off of a perfectly good cargo plane, parachute down, and immediately start racing once you land—you tell the SM to shut their filthy lying face, then explain with the loosest grasp of physics why obviously it can.

Required: Kickass Rides 2+ because you go through a lot of cars, and Grandeur Rank 3+ to tell the SM to stuff it.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

2E versions of the Touchstone, Faceless, Grotesque, Solace and Macaluso would seem like obvious and not-overly-onerous stretch goals though. Or even the more jokey ones - Marmot and Space Marine Mammal.

My current AW character took a move from the Marmot playbook as, I think, his second advance. loving rocks.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Marmot is the best playbook, there is no contest.

Mr. Damage Control
Nov 3, 2005

For the past few months, I've been working on and off on an Exalted hack. My friends and I have been playtesting it, and we've had a lot of fun. I'm not going to claim that it's polished by any means: in fact, I'm posting it here to get feedback I can use to fine-tune the moves. The setting is basically just Exalted with the numbers filed off, but I tried to leave plenty of room for in-game world building. I have yet to bang out an MC document, but MCing is mostly the same as other PbtA games, so if you decide to test it just follow the usual MC procedures.

All of the game's files can be found here on Google Drive:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B814QXaLGe_mMFpPd3lpbnMtUTQ&usp=sharing

If nothing else, I hope it's an interesting idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'll give this a look over. Before I do, though, I do want to say that you probably should put more thought into the MC stuff. A lot of people neglect that in their PbtA games. The MC material is a good way of refining the game and making sure it runs properly.

From experience, as the creator, you know how the game is meant to be run, but other GMs may not. Specialized MC moves, fronts, etc. are great way to reinforce the intended playstyle the game is built around. And, trust me, PbtA do not work out well when you play against their intended playstyles on either side of the PC/MC divide.