Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
personally i think it's kind of silly to imply that falcom is any less 'anime' than gust, but i guess a lot of that might have to do with not having any official english release of nayuta no kiseki for the psp

http://i.imgur.com/jgoFOUB.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but see, falcom is pure of the scourge of The Anime, because it's a thing I like.

therefore, using the word 'anime' to dismiss things i haven't played is completely correct.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

I'm on Paper Mario 2 again for some reason. The combination of Rush Badge (+5 attack in Peril), Pretty Lucky (sometimes don't get hit) and another badge where attacks may miss Mario with low health make for some really short fights, but the low health thing is too risky for it to be a viable time saver.

danger/peril mario is actually a tried and true build, i thought

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

personally i think it's kind of silly to imply that falcom is any less 'anime' than gust, but i guess a lot of that might have to do with not having any official english release of nayuta no kiseki for the psp

http://i.imgur.com/jgoFOUB.mp4

more anime girls need to wear bandannas and poo poo in their hair

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Looper posted:

more anime girls need to wear bandannas and poo poo in their hair
have you ever heard of touhou

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
though even outside of nayuta no kiseki, i'm pretty sure falcom has a long history with putting tons of homages to anime they like in their games. i mean, based on what i've heard, the main villains of trails in the sky sc exist because they really liked big fire from giant robo. and one of the characters in gurumin is a big smiling cat named motoro. and the president of falcom in an interview even just said "yeah, the starting harmonica bit of whereabouts of light is an homage to the castle in the sky theme."

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

Koops has a special that blocks mario from damage. Also where do you get the rush badge, I've been playing it and looking for that badge for my gimmick build but only have the partner one.

I got it after chapter 2, the guy in the central Rougeport plaza sells it for 60 coins I think. Good advice on the koops, he's the only one I have leveled and I have him tank most of the hits anyway.

Looper posted:

danger/peril mario is actually a tried and true build, i thought
When it works it's great. Might also make some bosses that hit harder and buff easier. Plus then you get to dump those levels into FP and badge points.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the plot of trails of cold steel also has some callbacks to giant robo, and also lots of other anime, and the final dungeon of the game starts with the protagonist giving a rousing speech about school festivals

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

I got it after chapter 2, the guy in the central Rougeport plaza sells it for 60 coins I think.

gently caress it was that easy?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
falcom is a company that is secretly full of huge anime nerds who can't help but put in big references to things they like on a constant basis, and i love them for it

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Nakar posted:

Guy and Tear are the non-assholes. They're cool.

She's a bit of a bitch in the beginning, and outside of that, it's hard to be an rear end in a top hat when the only time she's engaged with the plot is going "Brother..." in a very weak attempt to stop him from doing something or by being the reason Luke's bitching this time around. Tear's just very weak as a character and is honestly the worst Tales main female out there, losing out to characters such as half of a goddess split off and on the run that manipulates a dumb kid into following her and then berating him when he's not the chosen one, the original healbot 9000, and water girl sad that she can't get to first base that get possessed by an angry water god.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Tear's cool

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Forest Thief Pud posted:

She's a bit of a bitch in the beginning, and outside of that, it's hard to be an rear end in a top hat when the only time she's engaged with the plot is going "Brother..." in a very weak attempt to stop him from doing something or by being the reason Luke's bitching this time around. Tear's just very weak as a character and is honestly the worst Tales main female out there, losing out to characters such as half of a goddess split off and on the run that manipulates a dumb kid into following her and then berating him when he's not the chosen one, the original healbot 9000, and water girl sad that she can't get to first base that get possessed by an angry water god.

i like tear more than colette

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Forest Thief Pud posted:

i like women. girls are cool. hell yeah to female characters.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Forest Thief Pud posted:

tear's reactions to everything in the beginning of the game are pretty reasonable

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Forest Thief Pud posted:

Kohaku is prob the best Tales female lead when she has all of her emotions but Tear is about on par with beginning-of-game Kohaku who speaks entirely in a monotone/screaming

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'i like this female character'
'ACTUALLY ill have you know she is a worthless slore who has set feminism back 50 years and cindy didn't go to the prom with me, and female characters can only be compared to other female characters'

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
literally the first thing tear does after she accidentally teleports luke into a different country away from his home is say "okay, i hosed up, sorry, i'll take you back"

tear in the beginning of the game is just a person who's trying to stop bad poo poo from happening and the moment she accidentally fucks up she accepts the blame and tries to fix it, even if the guy she's helping get back home is a whiny rear end in a top hat

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 2, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
And then constantly, constantly berate him for not knowing things he has literally no way of possibly knowing, not having ever been let out of his house and all

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Playing through TotA right now, just got the sixth party member and Tear and Luke both started out insufferable but now are starting to grow on me and that's cool. gently caress everything about that tiny child that's with the party.

Princess Archer is cool though.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

And then constantly, constantly berate him for not knowing things he has literally no way of possibly knowing, not having ever been let out of his house and all

how is she supposed to know that? once she realizes how weird his amnesia is she lightens up considerably

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

She is nicer to him than he as any right to expect, how can you possibly sympathize with luke in the beginning

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no, they berate him for acting like a smug poo poo about stuff he has no idea about. instead of going 'hey, i don't get what's going on here, can someone tell me?' he just whines and complains until someone tells him just to get him quiet for five minutes.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

i like women. girls are cool. hell yeah to female characters.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Man how do you guys manage to remember all this poo poo about a game that was released a decade ago? Abyss to me is just a total blur of Jade being kind of ace and there was a stupid blue thing that Luke kicked a lot until he stopped being a dumb kid which was a negative of his character development in my view.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Heavy neutrino posted:

Man how do you guys manage to remember all this poo poo about a game that was released a decade ago? Abyss to me is just a total blur of Jade being kind of ace and there was a stupid blue thing that Luke kicked a lot until he stopped being a dumb kid which was a negative of his character development in my view.

i played twenty hours of it some time within the last half a year

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/SEGA/status/694582414748692480

Huh.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

'i like this female character'
'ACTUALLY ill have you know she is a worthless slore who has set feminism back 50 years and cindy didn't go to the prom with me, and female characters can only be compared to other female characters'

Settle down, Beavis, he doesn't like one character.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I would've rathered the first one with really cute sprite art but this is still cool

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So, uh, are those games any good, I've heard like someone mention them once.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Heavy neutrino posted:

i remember things, sometimes.

iunno how these games are, but the art is good

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

no, they berate him for acting like a smug poo poo about stuff he has no idea about. instead of going 'hey, i don't get what's going on here, can someone tell me?' he just whines and complains until someone tells him just to get him quiet for five minutes.

And then Tear turns around and admits that they weren't taking his situation seriously and apologizes for being short with him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah

and when everyone dumps luke, tear's the one who sticks with him. even guy takes a second to come around.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

What kind of game is 7th dragon even, I don't think I ever heard of it?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

^ dungeon crawler, maybe made by the guy who made eo1?

Is miku in this one

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

First hit on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8CM10E9H8U

e: Oh it's Etrian Odyssey I guess

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

lets hang out posted:

^ dungeon crawler, maybe made by the guy who made eo1?

Is miku in this one

IIRC yes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

What kind of game is 7th dragon even, I don't think I ever heard of it?
A dungeon crawler, a lot like EO - a lot of the same staff as EO1 was involved, even. You make a party and then explore dungeons. 7th Dragon has a bit more of a story, and it's also a good deal easier than EO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Colonel posted:

though even outside of nayuta no kiseki, i'm pretty sure falcom has a long history with putting tons of homages to anime they like in their games. i mean, based on what i've heard, the main villains of trails in the sky sc exist because they really liked big fire from giant robo.
... Maybe I should be putting more of my time into playing Trails in the Sky FC.

(I don't remember why I put it down, but it wasn't "this game sucks" or anything, I think I just got distracted.)