Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Also when Luke expresses his desire to become a better person Tear actually has his back.

And early on she's standoffish mostly because Luke is distrustful of her for attacking the one person he trusts. She's right but Luke doesn't know that and she's the only person who seems to understand that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Well poo poo if 7th Dragon is coming out in English guess I'd better get a 3ds. I loved 1 and 2 on the PSP and 3 is supposed to be even better. Between that and Popolocrois coming out over here I just can't say no to 3ds's siren song any longer.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Zereth posted:

... Maybe I should be putting more of my time into playing Trails in the Sky FC.

(I don't remember why I put it down, but it wasn't "this game sucks" or anything, I think I just got distracted.)

Probably the game having a slow pace. It doesn't really pick up until the end of Chapter 2 which is what, maybe 20 hours into the game, then it dies down a little until mid-Chapter 3 where it goes into overdrive and doesn't slow down.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
All I remember about Abyss is some lower world map that has like two things in it, wasting time travelling from point to point just to activate a single cutscene, then travel back to another location over and over again, and everyone being a complete and utter rear end in a top hat when Luke makes a mistake that most people would've made anyway (something about trusting a mentor of his or something). Also that useless system where you slot in some sort of gems?

Anyway I've played perhaps half a dozen Tales games, and I'd rather play any of them over this one. Phantasia, even.

Edit: The name "7th Dragon III Code: VFD" is giving me an aneurysm. Looks like something I might be interested in though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Morpheus posted:

All I remember about Abyss is some lower world map that has like two things in it, wasting time travelling from point to point just to activate a single cutscene, then travel back to another location over and over again, and everyone being a complete and utter rear end in a top hat when Luke makes a mistake that most people would've made anyway (something about trusting a mentor of his or something). Also that useless system where you slot in some sort of gems?

luke made a mistake that killed hundreds of people because he was a snobbish prick who became enamored with the idea of being a hero and gaining the respect of the same people who had previously been giving him poo poo for acting like a whiny rear end in a top hat, and believed his master in being told that doing something he himself was clueless about would allow him to become one, and then he lost his poo poo and tried to defend himself for making a mistake that, again, killed hundreds of people when it backfired

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont remember anything about the plot, but i can speak with authority that it's poorly written

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
7th Dragon 3 was one of those games I was hoping would come out here with today's age of everything being brought over but I was trying to keep my hopes down. So I'm excited. The class concepts sound weird and gimmicky as poo poo which is so my thing.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

idk what it says about you if you ended up taking Luke's side when you were playing the game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the thing that causes it isn't even just luke being trusting of his master, it's because master van gives him an image of doing this elevating him so far above everyone else that they no longer have the right to tell him how much of a big loser he is anymore, and his fame and respect will force his parents to let him go wherever he wants without being locked up in his home for the rest of time, and luke falls in love with the idea of this so much that he ignores fon master ion's worries about how it might actually not be a good idea and even kind of pressures ion into letting him do it

the problem goes so far beyond him trusting van, luke's mistake is entirely his fault because it came about out of entirely selfish reasons. even if it had worked, and it had saved everyone, luke would only have done it for his own gain

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 2, 2016

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It's almost like the narrative arc is designed around him suffering a terrible setback for his personal failings which he then spends the majority of the remaining narrative dealing with, while also making the situation complex such that while it's his fault, others are at fault for not making some effort to understand why he trusts the people he trusts and does the thing he does. And this happens multiple times with multiple characters in the game, almost like it's some kind of theme that trust and understanding is more important than just doing the things you think you have to do and hoping it'll all work out, as embodied in the Score as a force of rigid destiny and how both the hero and the villain reject that notion but for different reasons.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Based on the description for Sega of America's announcement trailer, 7thDIII:VFD is about routing a dragon invasion in 2100 by joining a videogame company, situated in the comiket building, that has a time machine. :psyduck:

Motto fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 2, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sounds good

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

Sounds good

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It was made by the guy who made the first Etrian Odyssey game (Which plays far differently than the later ones) So it's a dungeon crawler similar to that, apparently.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Incidentally, the first 7th Dragon game has a complete Fan Translation.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

It was made by the guy who made the first Etrian Odyssey game (Which plays far differently than the later ones) So it's a dungeon crawler similar to that, apparently.

So it's brutally difficult until you find the skills that make you nigh-invincible? :v:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Motto posted:

SoA's announcement trailer

*spews mountain dew everywhere* WAIT WHat oh no nevermind

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I know I probably won't like the answer since it's a "Chrono Trigger" that says its main theme is "sadness," but who can tell me about Project Setsuna? I'm suddenly curious.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Looper posted:

*spews mountain dew everywhere* WAIT WHat oh no nevermind

lol sorry

The White Dragon posted:

I know I probably won't like the answer since it's a "Chrono Trigger" that says its main theme is "sadness," but who can tell me about Project Setsuna? I'm suddenly curious.

It's a classic-style JRPG that Square-Enix is making for PS4 and Vita, with a combat system modeled after that of CT.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it exists

it's a retro style rpg

it isn't out yet

hope that helps

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

I really want to play it

also all the screens have been of snowy places

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's chrono trigger battle system and enemy encounter style, with FF7 materia system. Story so far is you're the bodyguard of someone on their pilgrimage to do something.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
as someone who lives where it never snows, snowy environments/snowlikes are objectively the best kind of video game area

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

ImpAtom posted:

If you can stomach Falcom you should be able to stomach at least some Gust games. Try giving something like Escha & Logy a shot, it's honestly a very subdued and chill game where you craft stuff and it's genuinely relaxing.

They're a bit all over the place because Ar Tonelico is like Maximum Overanime while E&L is probably one of the tamest most accessible JRPGs on the market aside from a kinda-crap translation in places

I'll try it if its on sale. I guess I have gotten a little distaste from Gust because the only game I played from them was the original Mana Khemia. I wanted to kill myself.

The Colonel posted:

personally i think it's kind of silly to imply that falcom is any less 'anime' than gust, but i guess a lot of that might have to do with not having any official english release of nayuta no kiseki for the psp

Because it is one game.

Guess I'll be picking this one up more than likely.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 2, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Looper posted:

as someone who lives where it never snows, snowy environments/snowlikes are objectively the best kind of video game area
As someone who grew up where it never snows and now lives where it snows

gently caress you

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'll try it if its on sale. I guess I have gotten a little distaste from Gust because the only game I played from them was the original Mana Khemia. I wanted to kill myself.

now that ive read your posts, i wish you had

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Endorph posted:

now that ive read your posts, i wish you had

:allears:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

why would get the opinion that Gust has too much moe from Mana Khemia?

There were some cute girls, but the main character's design was all edge

also that game was flashy as gently caress

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

theshim posted:

gently caress you

i want to buy tire chains and heavy winter coats

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Looper posted:

theshim posted:

gently caress you

As someone who lives in a place cold enough that it had a glacial stage named after it.

I'm having ice cream in a winter storm.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsBtKmiVRhw

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Erg posted:

why would get the opinion that Gust has too much moe from Mana Khemia?

There were some cute girls, but the main character's design was all edge

also that game was flashy as gently caress

It was a LONG time ago but I just remember the game was weird and the writing was horrible.

I do agree that I liked how the game actually looked as I really dug the sprite art.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Because it is one game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUYgjabz1I4

the trails in the sky anime

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Mana Khemia was really good, GUST composer's weird panpipe obsession aside

Seriously, every single GUST game is panpipes all day

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It's the prophecy from that episode of South Park, etc. etc.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Pan pipes own https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqG2FfNfn1E

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the new xanadu game that falcom made, has a fictional idol group prominently featured in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_webx_PCsps

one of the cutscenes in the game is a cg-animated idol concert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there was a gag anime where the cast of ys were at a school