Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

mrking posted:

okay. i'm still like 16 pages behind. :gary::yarg:

Try Evan Williams Single Barrel. its good on ice. I only buy the $20 a handle when i'm having a party and people are just drowning it in Coke.

My favorite whiskey story is a friend winning an invite to the release party of the first batch of mackmyra. He thought it tasted like poo poo so he ordered a Coke and just dumped the whiskey in it in front of the horrified company reps.

E: if you ever have the chance, give octomore a shot. It's gimmicky but still tasty and smooth as gently caress.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Kakarot posted:

Someone brought me real nice tequila from Mexico. You sip, not shoot! :eng101:

Many moons ago, before my workplace went to poo poo, my bosses brought us back a nice bottle of very good sipping tequila from Mexico.

I miss those days.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Zynga would be a good fit to CIG's business model

Except Chris Roberts couldn't even successfully rip-off a dirt-simple game because he'd get lost in the weeds "micro-improving" it to match his vision of what he thought the game should've been.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Bootcha posted:

I have to vouch for my favorite brand, the High West Distillery. Campfire, Son of Bourye, and American Prairie are great choices.

Ten year old glen morangie mixed 1/3rd whiskey to 2/3rds still water (no ice or flavoured mixers).

Heaven.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Rhubarb94 posted:

Ten year old glen morangie mixed 1/3rd whiskey to 2/3rds still water (no ice or flavoured mixers).

Heaven.

FTFY

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Rhubarb94 posted:

Brit military drinking game :

Drink baileys Irish cream from (full) pint glasses
Sing national anthem
Vomit on the word queen, every time
Do not get caught by officers or you will be court martialled

Almost no ill effects it really does taste the same in either direction.

Health warning soldiers are inhumanly resistant to alcohol poisoning.

I think I saw Aussies doing that atop a LAV-25 rolling out of Sadur City, but it was with vodka instead of Baileys.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

The Japanese make loving good whiskey. I love the poo poo out of expensive Japanese whiskeys oh my god. EVEN BETTER THAN THEIR ANIME FIGURINES

Scruffpuff posted:

The silver bullet that killed this project was Chris's insistence on everything you just mentioned being in a single seamless engine. Star Wars galaxies had planets, very wide sandbox elements, multicrew and single-fighter space combat (sort of a Tie Fighter lite, but not bad at all) with customized ship components, a deep economy, multiple classes and paths, no 16 player limit, 10 loving years ago, and it still didn't make enough money to stay afloat. It was doable because it used different engines for different parts, with loading screens. The "one engine for everything" is really what this game's ultimate failure is centered on. Even if another company tried it, and got it working, the benefits are slim, and the costs (financial and technical) are huge.
Yea I see a lot of similarities between what people are asking for in their big huge sandbox Star Citizen (I want to serve drinks on air liners, I want to be a space trucker, I want to make a living giving handies to space truckers) and what I read about SW:G - people making a living doing cantina performances and crafting weapons and a bunch of other weird stuff that most people consider work and not play.

Cuntpunch posted:

I like skimming through 104TC because it gives a real insight into Squadron 42. Not directly, in a lot of cases, but through process of elimination of what *won't* be in SQ42 - even if you buy the narrative it's in late-stage development getting ready for release this year. Which itself presume that design is mostly locked in and it's just polish:

In Squadron 42 you:
Will not be docking ships. (They're still designing that mechanic)
Will not be having capital ship fights. (They're still designing that mechanic)
Will not be repairing ships. (They're still designing that mechanic)

Go back through the thing they're still designing/balancing/etc - and what do you possibly have as the canonical design document for Squadron 42?

I know this isn't news to anyone here, but it's a different angle to realize just how far away even a hurried-out SQ42 release would be: Take all the 'things that aren't quite ready yet' that aren't MP-specific, and you'd at least expect them to get used as part of this amazing cinematic adventure that Crobbers is believing SQ42 will be - but instead it sounds like you'll be lucky if it's much more than a wing commander remake.
If you thought Squadron 42 was going to be anything other than Arena Commander padded with cut scenes.....

:perfect: I guess timg doesn't play nice with spoiler

Norefund14days
Feb 2, 2016

NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU PARP IN SPACE.
Finally! Been at it all day trying to catch up on this thread. Lurking is tough! Greets all.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Rhubarb94 posted:

That depends on them trying to make it work on console, which would involve planning and work and other things.

It would be easier and fit more closely with their overall development ethos to sell SQ42 for console with no plan or chance of ever releasing it.

I'm sure they will try the same way they try everything else. By adding devs but only managing to fill 75% of the critical positions and then incompetently try to shoehorn the new team into the existing company structure. It will just be another distraction from making any real progress along with all the others.

There is no way CR won't go for that. More expense, less progress and it will get rid of what little enthusiasm that exists for SQ42. The narrative will shift to it being a watered down console game to raise money for the real deal SC. Turning the few PC gamers off to try and attract console gamers that are not interested and never will be.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The real question is, what sort of bourbon will I be able to serve on my space plane and will I be able to upcharge for top-shelf bourbon? Chris Roberts give me an upsale minigame for my space plane.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

fuzzknot posted:

Oh no! :( Nothing tears your heart out quite like that.

I recommend getting another one. If you don't want to or can't, try volunteering at a local shelter. A bunch of the volunteers at my shelter are there because they can't have pets for whatever reason, but being around them gives them that companionship and/or seeing that cuteness. :3:

I don't feel ready for a new one, but helping in a shelter is a good idea, thanks.
I need to pet some fluff, it's been too long.

Norefund14days
Feb 2, 2016

Prop Wash posted:

The real question is, what sort of bourbon will I be able to serve on my space plane and will I be able to upcharge for top-shelf bourbon? Chris Roberts give me an upsale minigame for my space plane.

There better be some Pappy Van Winkle!

mrking
May 27, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

none because Space Kentucky was wiped off the map back in the goon wars of 2132

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

AugmentedVision posted:

All hard liquor tastes like poo poo and people deceive themselves into enjoying the taste in order to seem sophisticated. "Acquired taste", I'm pretty sure if you ate enough literal dog poo poo, you would acquire a taste for it, doesn't mean it's cool and good to do so.

Would you like a wine cooler?

Blanton's is a solid single barrel bourbon and comes in a sweet bottle.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

I would have agreed some time ago, however I lived in Edinburgh for a few years where I got into the Scottish way of drinking it.

Whiskey geek fact (which may have been made up in a bar), it was originally invented as something to add to a water bottle to purify the water inside whilst on the move, it was intended to be mixed just not with crap like cola.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

trucutru posted:

Did you know that goons are planning to use "let me loving finish" for the goon-de-yada project if you don't record something?
I think Bootcha should take a different approach.

He should have the goons all singing their parts-- and download a bunch of Derek interviews online, then autotune Derek saying things like "I've said all these things in my blog", "The shitizens went after me because they know I'm right", "Let me fuckin' finish!", and whatnot.

It could be especially funny as a call and response. Like the goons say "But it will never ship", and Derek immediately blurts "That's what I have been saying all this time!"

It just seems more fitting that Derek would be marching to his own beat, talking non-stop in the midst of an otherwise unified chorus. I think it lets Derek stay Derek and that's to the good.

mrking
May 27, 2006

AugmentedVision posted:

All hard liquor tastes like poo poo and people deceive themselves into enjoying the taste in order to seem sophisticated. "Acquired taste", I'm pretty sure if you ate enough literal dog poo poo, you would acquire a taste for it, doesn't mean it's cool and good to do so.

try mixing them with distilled water. 1:1 or even 2:1 water:whiskey can off set a lot of the bite of the alcohol and still let you taste the flavor. I mean if you still don't like then theres nothing for it, but if you just don't like the harsh alcoholness of it theres no shame in watering it. I like Knob Creek but if I don't put ice or water in it then ugh it sucks to drink cask strength is even worse.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

Bootcha posted:

I have to vouch for my favorite brand, the High West Distillery.

I moved to Louisville recently and started getting into bourbon and rye (previously bourbon was my favorite liquor, but I had only really had Makers Mark).

I have read good things about High West Midwinters Nights Dram (I think) but it sounds impossible to get. I've seen some of their other bottles around though, so I will give one a try next chance I get.

Norefund14days
Feb 2, 2016

mrking posted:

try mixing them with distilled water. 1:1 or even 2:1 water:whiskey can off set a lot of the bite of the alcohol and still let you taste the flavor. I mean if you still don't like then theres nothing for it, but if you just don't like the harsh alcoholness of it theres no shame in watering it. I like Knob Creek but if I don't put ice or water in it then ugh it sucks to drink cask strength is even worse.

It works. Did the same thing with the Aomori in Okinawa. Ice, water and Lemon. Otherwise it tastes like shite.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Mirificus posted:

This seems like an opportune moment to post wesha's favorite comic:

lol

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

G0RF posted:

I think Bootcha should take a different approach.

He should have the goons all singing their parts-- and download a bunch of Derek interviews online, then autotune Derek saying things like "I've said all these things in my blog", "The shitizens went after me because they know I'm right", "Let me fuckin' finish!", and whatnot.

It could be especially funny as a call and response. Like the goons say "But it will never ship", and Derek immediately blurts "That's what I have been saying all this time!"

It just seems more fitting that Derek would be marching to his own beat, talking non-stop in the midst of an otherwise unified chorus. I think it lets Derek stay Derek and that's to the good.

Bootcha, you might have to make two videos.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Bootcha posted:

I think I saw Aussies doing that atop a LAV-25 rolling out of Sadur City, but it was with vodka instead of Baileys.

You can always rely on the colonials to lower the tone. Vodka is far to uncouth a drink to vomit the national anthem to.

Illegally distilled moonshine confiscated on the border is a true gentleman's drink*.

*burn it to test for contaminants, if it gives off black fumes do not drink it if you enjoy being able to see.

mrking
May 27, 2006

I so desperately wanted this to be real.

I'm the crooked Star Citizen sticker.

Dementropy posted:

This is something SC needs to implement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHcTKWiZ8sI

A "Citizen Score" based on behavior that results in rewards and penalties - like increased game crashes, lower gravity, fewer solid floors, etc.
I wonder what kind of effect backing Star Citizen has on the Sesame Credit. up or down?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

fuctifino posted:

Even Sandi has 4x290's in her PC, because why not when you are using other people's money?

This actually pisses me off both because it's either staged and she's a phony or it's real and she's a bourgeoisie pig with more money than sense. And who the hell wants to be in the same room when that thing is running?

fuzzknot posted:

That's a good place to stop. Speaking from experience, it takes learning that lesson the hard way a couple of times to sink in.
It only took me once in college to figure that out. My cousin's wedding several years later doesn't count; I was okay until we started smoking cigars. Hint: I don't smoke!

Peroxide Cowboy
Nov 30, 2013

fuzzknot posted:

Many moons ago, before my workplace went to poo poo, my bosses brought us back a nice bottle of very good sipping tequila from Mexico.

I miss those days.

I once had a job where the boss would bring in a set of his throwing knives. He'd take a sharpie and draw a target then we'd take turns on throwing the knives into the drywall. Pretty cool guy he was always taking a nap in the back room he was.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

All this talk of whiskey and bourbon got me thirsty. I am abandoning this thread to go enjoy my overpriced mediocre shark bourbon.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

alf_pogs posted:

i dunno, i have never wanted to get near (let alone touch) ben's tummy

Ok how about this then. I have folders upon folders of my cat being a fat lazy poo poo.

Edit:

Also George Dickels No.12 is my favorite non expensive bourbon. Maybe I have poo poo taste but I love it, I think it's better than makers mark.

SerCypher fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 2, 2016

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

BossTweed posted:

I have read good things about High West Midwinters Nights Dram (I think) but it sounds impossible to get. I've seen some of their other bottles around though, so I will give one a try next chance I get.

I love a good rye.

Midwinter Night's Dram is an EXCELLENT dessert whiskey. Silky smooth and sweet.

I'd suggest starting out with Son of Bourye, it's a nice sweet-ish whiskey with nice heft. From there you can try more smokey/peaty or more sweet/silky.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Beexoffel posted:

I don't feel ready for a new one, but helping in a shelter is a good idea, thanks.
I need to pet some fluff, it's been too long.

Yeah, and the animals would agree! I'm a cat behavior volunteer, and ALL I do--aside from just making sure they all get fed during kitten season when it's crazy and the staff members need all the help they can get--is pet cats. They really literally need to be petted and played with so they can get used to being around people. Also, volunteers make notes on the animal's personality so that people coming into the shelter to adopt pets can see what kind of animal the one in the kennel is. Some people want lap cats, some people want really playful cats, some people want cats that get along with other cats or possibly dogs or kids, etc. It's an important and never thankless role.

mrking
May 27, 2006

:captainpop:

The backers will never know. or be able to afford the rig that can play the game.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Notice how even back then he made sure to drop in "primarily" so everything is non-committal.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Rhubarb94 posted:

I would have agreed some time ago, however I lived in Edinburgh for a few years where I got into the Scottish way of drinking it.

Whiskey geek fact (which may have been made up in a bar), it was originally invented as something to add to a water bottle to purify the water inside whilst on the move, it was intended to be mixed just not with crap like cola.

Urban legend has it that mountain dew was supposed to be marketed as a mixer to use with whiskey until they cooked a batch wrong with too much HFC corn syrup in it. The tasting panel did not like the mix at all but found the dew palatable alone.

A nice way to make cheap whiskey blends go down during summer is to mix it with Perrier lemon sparkling water. I suggest 1 alcohol for 3 water. Garnish with a lemon slice.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
e: oh god I went all Derek on this post, halp

I like bourbon too :3: Sometimes it's nice to have something more drinkable, sometimes something more complex

grimcreaper posted:

Also, bourbon and whiskey are basically the same thing. "For a whiskey to call itself bourbon, its mash, the mixture of grains from which the product is distilled, must contain at least 51% corn. (The rest of the mash is usually filled out with malted barley and either rye or wheat.)" taken from google.
Not actually sure what the differences in process are (except I imagine most bourbons are blends)? But bourbons and single malts definitely taste pretty different.

fuzzknot posted:

Ooo. Yeah. Bootcha's mom gave me some Macallan the night I met her.
A bunch of my mates banded together one year to buy me a 28 year old Macallan special reserve for my birthday. Far and away the most amazing gift ever. 7 year ago now. Only comes out for the really really special occasions.

TTerrible posted:

Whiskey chat. I travel a lot for work and was convinced by a friend to pickup :siren: Talisker Darkstorm :siren: passing through duty free. It is awful. It tastes like sucking on charcoal.
I visited the Jameson distillery in Ireland with my other half last year but still prefer any cheap bourbon because I am a completely unsalvageable heathen. Apparently.
I tend to think the duty free 'special editions' are pretty poo poo all round. Occasionally you find an OK one. Haven't had the Darkstorm but Talisker is on the more peaty end of single malts so worth trying one on completely the other side of the spectrum if you ever feel like it. Or just regular Talisker 10 year old which might be better than the airport crap.
I got into whisky because a Scottish mate of mine would buy cheap blends with ginger wine as a mixer at clubs, instead of the usual vodka/rum + coke type thing. It was horrible at first but gradually I started to like it :StockholmSyndrome:

mrking
May 27, 2006

AugmentedVision posted:

Notice how even back then he made sure to drop in "primarily" so everything is non-committal.

Eh that probably has more to do with his poor grasp of the english language than with any reservedness regarding PC vs Console.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

"we will NOT limit the input options" - man who is genuinely excited for his context-sensitive USE button in the year of our lord 2016

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

"primarily"

mrking
May 27, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

"we will NOT limit the input options" - man who is genuinely excited for his context-sensitive USE button in the year of our lord 2016
Well its not like he's played any video games in the last 2 decades so what can you really expect.

Sarsapariller posted:

Goon Leaders, I bring you grave news. Space_Addict has figured it all out. He's on to our psyops and he'll beat us in video games except he doesn't play them.

This is why I love playing with Goons in Video Games. There's always a clear Antagonist that's willing to play to play against us.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Thanks Nvidia for the goodies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

aleksendr posted:

Urban legend has it that mountain dew was supposed to be marketed as a mixer to use with whiskey until they cooked a batch wrong with too much HFC corn syrup in it. The tasting panel did not like the mix at all but found the dew palatable alone.

A nice way to make cheap whiskey blends go down during summer is to mix it with Perrier lemon sparkling water. I suggest 1 alcohol for 3 water. Garnish with a lemon slice.

Not an urban legend. It was in fact developed as a mixer (many sodas at the time were used as mixers, but generally they were regional. The dudes who made mountain dew did so because it was easier than trying to get their preferred brand). Also, it wasn't a mix-up that ended up getting it marketed. They just offered a sample to one of the guys who ran the Tri-Cities Beverage Co. and made a deal to bottle and sell it.

• Locked thread