Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
which sister is best
This poll is closed.
sakura 11 6.96%
hinoka 21 13.29%
camilla 42 26.58%
elise 15 9.49%
im gay (in a nonironic sense) 69 43.67%
Total: 158 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Strange Quark posted:

There are like two spin-off textbook-style books, and they're making a movie about the fantastical beasts one.

That could be pretty cool, I liked parts of the Harry Potter world quite a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Reds posted:

I'm fairly sure the book is pretty short too.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them didn't even have a plot, it was just a list of magical creatures in the universe.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
And yeah it was really short.

I did like it though.

Didn't care for the Quidditch book.

Creatures > Sports

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Motto posted:

it isn't?

basically the stuff other people said + Rowling willing to answer any and every fan question about the characters and world on twitter. i feel like the story should just rest now, and the blatant cash-in stuff just makes the franchise cheaper

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

actually, hermione was a black girl the whole time

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

rowling had some press conference or something last week about african, south american and japanese magic schools. she's gonna keep this money maker going on forever

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mostly liked the series when it was slice of life magic school and Hermione was the only of the main three that was any good, so a lot of the continuation stuff really isn't up my alley anyway

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

a kitten posted:

I read that and also the later 3 Smiley books. They're really really good.

I watched teh (and loved) Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy film with Gary Oldman and so read that one first, then Spy Who Came In, then the last two Smiley books. I had a bit of a hard time getting into The Honorable Schoolboy at first, but loved it by the end. And Smiley's people was nothing like what i thought it was going to be since i stumbled over some spoilers long before i actually read it.

I haven't read any of his others, or any other spy books either (except Legacy of Ashes)

I think A Perfect Spy is the best single book that Le Carre has written but the Karla Trilogy is his masterpiece. I didn't really get hooked into The Honorable Schoolboy until halfway through the book but I think it's my favorite out of those three.

TTSS is a great movie but I feel like I would have had a way harder time following it if I hadn't read the book beforehand.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

rowling had some press conference or something last week about african, south american and japanese magic schools. she's gonna keep this money maker going on forever
just let trigger make the japanese harry potter anime

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Endorph posted:

good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Captain Yami is a cool dude

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qxNES79fPY

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Endorph posted:

wasn't there some character in the movies who was at first cast as black but then recast as a white girl once she actually had some role of minor importance

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

dogsicle posted:

i mostly liked the series when it was slice of life magic school and Hermione was the only of the main three that was any good, so a lot of the continuation stuff really isn't up my alley anyway

:agreed:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i feel like hermoine was described as white in the books, but i read the dutch translations and idk how accurate they were

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The US magic school literally only teaches killing spells and all wands are guns and it's not actually a magic school but just a gun show.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

in my head she was pale and also my girlfriend

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

Captain Yami is a cool dude

Why are English scans of BC so late?

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

chumbler posted:

The US magic school literally only teaches killing spells and all wands are guns and it's not actually a magic school but just a gun show.

Sounds like my kind of magic!!

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

chumbler posted:

my hogwarts/darfur crossover fanfiction

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
All Asians had was Cho Chang, the chick whose main role is being the token crush and also sticking up for a lovely friend who betrayed the gang.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

dogsicle posted:

basically the stuff other people said + Rowling willing to answer any and every fan question about the characters and world on twitter. i feel like the story should just rest now, and the blatant cash-in stuff just makes the franchise cheaper

it doesn't bug me. If there were a bunch of bad, farmed out books being pumped out that'd be one thing, but all that sounds pretty tame when it comes to cashing in on nostalgia.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The Harry Potter movies got better when they turned the wizard battles into gunfights but they replaced the guns with wands

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Motto posted:

it doesn't bug me. If there were a bunch of bad, farmed out books being pumped out, that'd be one thing, but all that sounds pretty tame when it comes to cashing in on nostalgia.

Same, OP.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

just let trigger make the japanese harry potter anime

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't Lose Your Way Harry Potter.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

wasn't there some character in the movies who was at first cast as black but then recast as a white girl once she actually had some role of minor importance

i think it was Lavender Brown. whoever the only named Slytherin chick was

Davincie posted:

i feel like hermoine was described as white in the books, but i read the dutch translations and idk how accurate they were

the original english mostly talked about her having frizzy hair iirc. i think black Hermione is a good thing, but Rowling deserves 0 credit for bringing it up this late when it was so vague and the movies/books are incredibly white.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Dangerous Person posted:

I think A Perfect Spy is the best single book that Le Carre has written but the Karla Trilogy is his masterpiece. I didn't really get hooked into The Honorable Schoolboy until halfway through the book but I think it's my favorite out of those three.

Adding it to my increasingly absurd reading backlog.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

All Asians had was Cho Chang, the chick whose main role is being the token crush and also sticking up for a lovely friend who betrayed the gang.
Plus two South Asian girls who didn't do anything at all.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

dogsicle posted:

basically the stuff other people said + Rowling willing to answer any and every fan question about the characters and world on twitter.

it started off innocuous ("dumbledore was gay? that's kind of cool to know and certainly builds off his character") but now I see poo poo on my tumblr dash about subjects like group masturbation in the hufflepuff dorms and please no.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

the original english mostly talked about her having frizzy hair iirc. i think black Hermione is a good thing, but Rowling deserves 0 credit for bringing it up this late when it was so vague and the movies/books are incredibly white.

It's pretty lame how a lot of her diversity ideas about her characters don't make into the text, like with Dumbledore being gay.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

a kitten posted:

Adding it to my increasingly absurd reading backlog.

No reading backlog is absurd, friend

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

chumbler posted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

you're right about lavender, but she wasn't the named slytherin girl, she was a rando gryffindor

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

Lavender Brown was not Slytherin.

VostokProgram posted:

Plus two South Asian girls who didn't do anything at all.

You mean the two Indian chicks? The Patils? Their thing was literally "we like this stupid fortune telling class that everyone hates."

Didn't one get mauled by a werewolf in the last book.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Does this comic take place in Chicago

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

It's pretty lame how a lot of her diversity ideas about her characters don't make into the text, like with Dumbledore being gay.

im 100% sure thats because shes making it up to keep attention on the books and herself

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Endorph posted:

you're right about lavender, but she wasn't the named slytherin girl, she was a rando gryffindor

oh right, she went after Ron and all that stuff

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

what house was benedict cumberbatch in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davincie posted:

im 100% sure thats because shes making it up to keep attention on the books and herself

That one thing was pretty soon after the last book went out, yeah?

All the new stuff that's been popping up is pretty much pointless though.

• Locked thread