Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Trump get stumped?
Yes
No
#FeelTheBern
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
He did always say that money decides elections. I just don't suppose he knew how literally true it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Oiled and Ready posted:

Hard to tell until NH. Trump underperformed 24% vs 28% expected, so if that holds he still narrowly wins all other early states even if it's just a 3man and the establishment rallies for Marco - who hasn't been hit by Trump in months.

The anger is still there, id bet a lot on "his winner image is ruined!" Being totally wrong.

We did learn his ground game really was a joke, though.

Was it really a joke, though? Trump did still manage to pull the second most votes in the history of Iowa GOP caucuses.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Was it really a joke, though? Trump did still manage to pull the second most votes in the history of Iowa GOP caucuses.

So? At the time, John Kerry received the 2nd most votes in the history of the Presidential General Election. It didn't help.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
The caucus is officially called for Hillary

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/02/politics/new-hampshire-primary-2016/index.html

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

a good illustration of the iowa caucus in my opinion

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Who's Hilary?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Polling average underestimated Bernie's support by about 4 points relative to Hillary's based on the final tallies.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Bernouts are raising hell that "doing a coin flip is not in the official rule book! We want a recount!"

If Sanders clamours for a recount, he will lose major support in NH. Do not call for a recount, you will regret this!

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:

pathetic little tramp posted:

Bernouts are raising hell that "doing a coin flip is not in the official rule book! We want a recount!"

If Sanders clamours for a recount, he will lose major support in NH. Do not call for a recount, you will regret this!

dont think he plans onit but good call man thanks

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

how do you even recount a caucus

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Concerned Citizen posted:

I am 90% sure that Iowa's economy would just loooooooove another caucus.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Concerned Citizen posted:

Well you see, in the rule book, it says a tie should be determined by a game of chance which doesn't have to be a coin toss! And now there are people literally saying that since Hillary won the coin toss, she should have to lose the delegate, and all the caucus leaders got it wrong.

This is the image making the rounds:

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
NYTimes and CNN confirm 23 delegates for Clinton, 21 for Sanders.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mitt Romney posted:

NYTimes and CNN confirm 23 delegates for Clinton, 21 for Sanders.

No state level delegates will be assigned for months and they'll be unbound even then, but sure, whatever.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Joementum posted:

No state level delegates will be assigned for months and they'll be unbound even then, but sure, whatever.

psh you're just being pendatic

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

psh you're just being pendatic

A tiger cannot change its stripes
A Rubio cannot change his thirst for water
So it is with Joementum and his exactness with election rules

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

Ron Paul got pluralities of delegates in some states he didn't win back in 2012. It's very likely it won't be 23-21, the campaign that understands the rules better will likely squeak out some more delegates.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Planarch posted:

Ron Paul got pluralities of delegates in some states he didn't win back in 2012. It's very likely it won't be 23-21, the campaign that understands the rules better will likely squeak out some more delegates.

If you're going with "not assigned until convention" then Clinton is tentatively leading 30-21 in Iowa delegates (with supers).

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
Superdelegates are literally hundreds (or thousands, or maybe even infinity) of times worse than any coin toss

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

point of return posted:

Superdelegates are literally hundreds (or thousands, or maybe even infinity) of times worse than any coin toss

Yeah it's basically a clever hedge against actual voters wanted something else contrary to the establishment.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

But Obama won in 2008. :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

But Obama won in 2008. :v:

Obama was encouraged to run by the senate majority leader.

I wonder what Mitch would encourage Senator Cruz to do :allears:

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

whydirt posted:

A tiger cannot change its stripes
A Rubio cannot change his thirst for water
So it is with Joementum and his exactness with election rules

Iowa election rules are so complex I'm worried that Joementum might get caught in some kind of Captain Kirk logic bomb of contradictory rules as a consequence of the tie.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

hobbesmaster posted:

Oh I'm sure that Mitch would fully support Cruz running for the Democratic nomination.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Why have the bush.dropout.ia shares not resolved yet?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Can we make this the last post in the thread and goldmine it

quote:

Kramer Howell was the only voter in his precinct to caucus for Jeb Bush Monday night.

"I'm the lone Jeb supporter," said Howell, a senior at Drake University who voted in Republican precinct caucus 45, located on his campus in Des Moines, Iowa. "I was the only one."

That means the woman who spoke on Jeb's behalf did not even vote for him. "Her pitch was basically, 'He's a good guy,'" Howell said. "It was like the least rousing speech I've ever heard." No one even spoke on behalf of Trump or Kasich.

In all, 47 voters showed up at this caucus, with Marco Rubio dominating and Ted Cruz coming in second.

Oddly, the person who spoke on behalf of Ben Carson kept referring to him as Bernie Sanders. "He went on this really incoherent tangent about gay marriage," said Howell. "He didn't seem like the brightest guy."

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Just like when Sanders' staff plundered Hillary's data and sued the DMC because they were banned them from accessing it?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Can we make this the last post in the thread and goldmine it

Noted Neurosurgeon, family values activist, and black man, Bernie Sanders

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
Pictures from inside my caucus location in Boone Ward 1. I was a captain for Bernie.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I read that Iowa is basically worthless and the only reason they are the first to vote is because of hotel room booking in the 1970s.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

hobbesmaster posted:

Seppuku, most likely.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to kill all of my friends. They won't shut up about coin-flips and voter fraud, when it's such a minor, dumb thing that changes nothing.

It's like someone peeing in the pool. Sure it's disgusting, but it doesn't actually do anything except make it a little warmer for like a second. And everyone loving does it anyways, and if they did it, I'm sure they wouldn't be saying the same thing.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Yoshifan823 posted:

I'm going to kill all of my friends. They won't shut up about coin-flips and voter fraud, when it's such a minor, dumb thing that changes nothing.

It's like someone peeing in the pool. Sure it's disgusting, but it doesn't actually do anything except make it a little warmer for like a second. And everyone loving does it anyways, and if they did it, I'm sure they wouldn't be saying the same thing.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/02/hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders-coin-flips-iowa-caucus/459429/

quote:

But despite initial reports that Hillary Clinton had improbably run the table, it appears that Bernie Sanders won a sizable share of coin tosses as well, according to information provided on Tuesday by the state Democratic Party.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Yoshifan823 posted:

Well you came to the wrong place to complain about it

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

I read that Iowa is basically worthless

Captain Kirk fled Iowa and never returned

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

etalian posted:

Captain Kirk fled Iowa and never returned

Somebody had to one-up Jim Lovell getting far away from Ohio

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yoshifan823 posted:

TBF the coin flip thing is mind-bogglingly idiotic and deserves its fair share of condemnation.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Vox Nihili posted:

TBF the coin flip thing is mind-bogglingly idiotic and deserves its fair share of condemnation.

No more so then everything else about the Iowa caucus. For instance, picking cards out of a deck to decide was done in at least one precinct in the 1992 or 2004 primaries. I forget which one.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Vox Nihili posted:

You can't award half a delegate. Someone has to win, how else do you break a tie other than a coin flip?

Northjayhawk has issued a correction as of 03:38 on Feb 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Northjayhawk posted:

You can't award half a delegate. Someone has to win, how else do you break a tie other than a coin flip?

Allowable alternative methods include:
- picking cards
- rolling dice
- rock paper scissors (best out of 3 if there's a tie)

• Locked thread