Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm okay with the Mimic beacons as they are, but I'm also a huge baby who doesn't actually want the game to frustrate me unless I'm deliberately playing on Hard or above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pharmaskittle posted:

I hope you get to fight/assassinate the ADVENT mouthpiece guy in a late game mission and he's literally just a thin man with the same stats and everything, and is the only one in the game.

its a dumb gotcha to just give an allen 100 dodge

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

The Shortest Path posted:

Holy poo poo Slingshot on Long War. :stare:

Thin Men are literally hitler

Friends In Low Places certainly gets tougher due to its early arrival, greater pod size, and patrols. The key is to retreat back to the high cover gravestones at the very back and camp out, trying to lure just one pod at a time. Also, bring rockets.

Juuuuust wait until you see what they did with Gangplank.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Andromedons scare me a little.
Also, we need a way to differentiate "killing the driver" and "killing the suit".

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
So I just tried to play LW on my first mission and was a total party wipe. What do I need to differently to not die so much (normal difficulty, using the easier ini and all the second wave options suggested by Iron Rose).

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Chin Strap posted:

So I just tried to play LW on my first mission and was a total party wipe. What do I need to differently to not die so much (normal difficulty, using the easier ini and all the second wave options suggested by Iron Rose).

Given that I have no idea what you're doing to start with, the only difference I can suggest is to be better at video games?

Maybe you can elaborate on what the problem is.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 3, 2016

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Chin Strap posted:

Don't play Long War, just wait for XCOM 2.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Be in cover, don't be flanked, use explosives to remove their cover.

Cover is the game.

Rygar201 posted:

Don't play Long War, just wait for XCOM 2.

This is bad advice, Long War is really good and will also get you ready for Xcom 2.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Chin Strap posted:

when in doubt, blow it up

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Chin Strap posted:

You are playing LW correctly. Keep playing until someone survives, then turn up difficulty. Repeat as needed.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

winterwerefox posted:

when in doubt, blow it up

When not in doubt, you're wrong. Blow it up.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
why isn't this game out yet

someone get jake to press the steam button

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

why isn't this game out yet

someone get jake to press the steam button

It's not even out for preload yet arrrrgh.

Hell the cheevo list still hasn't appeared. Which is bizarre.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

alarumklok posted:

it's friday right now

Today is Tuesday, you dumb motherfucker. You're welcome

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It does seem a little weird that they deem it finished enough for Beagle to go forth and show their baby to the world but sufficiently unfinished that they won't even let us pre-load yet.

...What even happens in the last few days of AAA (...well, maybe AA for X-COM. I'm sure they have resources but they're not COD or anything) game dev, anyway? Just days of non-stop, hardcore smoke tests and frantically coding patches for anything that breaks?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Chin Strap posted:

Some of your starting squad should have anti-personnel grenades. They will 100% gently caress up a Sectoid. You're going to be killing shitloads more aliens than usual anyway, so losing out on a body won't hurt you.

Generally speaking, LW gives you a ton more gear and options starting out. Use everything you've got. Flashbangs, frags, scanners - everything has a use.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

...What even happens in the last few days of AAA (...well, maybe AA for X-COM. I'm sure they have resources but they're not COD or anything) game dev, anyway? Just days of non-stop, hardcore smoke tests and frantically coding patches for anything that breaks?

Day 1 patch, day 2 patch (when you find out what wasn't actually tested or is horribly imbalanced), DLC, and probably another team is already looking at XCOM 3 whose backstory is what happens if you lost the first two games.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

It does seem a little weird that they deem it finished enough for Beagle to go forth and show their baby to the world but sufficiently unfinished that they won't even let us pre-load yet.

Beagle did mention he's playing it on a review copy that was given out to reviewers that was at least several weeks behind the current expected release. It was far enough behind in builds that the overwatch concealment fix for his tactics isn't implemented in the build he's playing on stream. So it's probably that it's finished enough that the reviewers can play the game with a very good likelihood that nothing major would break as they're playing it.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Dominic White posted:

Several reviews have mentioned that Xcom 2 really has been cribbing notes from Long War, both in the strategic structure of the aliens as a real 'player 2', and also in terms of how unpredictable and fragile your success is. I have a feeling that the game is going to be a bit divisive with some, especially on the higher difficulties, but I'm kinda looking forward to dying horribly on the regular.

Man when I mentioned Jake said he was taking ideas from LW in the thread I got loving demolished.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Uncle Jam posted:

Man when I mentioned Jake said he was taking ideas from LW in the thread I got loving demolished.

At least they gave credit where it was due.

When Fallout 4 appropriated most of the good mod ideas from New Vegas like customizable settlements or Nuclear Storms I don't think they credited those modders.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What was beagle's new twitch channel?

edit: found it.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 3, 2016

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Uncle Jam posted:

A grindy end game, just what I always wanted :buddy:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jamball said the reason she resisted skulljacking anyone is that it triggers Codexes appearing. But it doesn't seem to stop OTHER advanced enemies from appearing as time progresses. And I bet you get something sweet for researching codexes.

Never did get why people put off the Alien Base Assault for so long. It unlocks psychic powers, people! C'mon!

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
I am now bitterly disappointed that this won't be part of the OST:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpU8w27YB3c

So hyped.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Spiritus Nox posted:

They're all watching Beagles stream in order to see how he breaks the game and what to patch out. At least thats what I want to believe all the 2k employees that were in the stream today were doing :banjo:

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Speedball posted:

It's not even out for preload yet arrrrgh.

Hell the cheevo list still hasn't appeared. Which is bizarre.

And don't forget Mac system reqs! :tinfoil:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cathode Raymond posted:

I know right?! Feral Interactive says it'll be out Feb 5, but.... nnnrrrrrrrrrrgggghhh!

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Cathode Raymond posted:

Eh? They seem to have finally released Mac system requirements.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Speedball posted:

Jamball said the reason she resisted skulljacking anyone is that it triggers Codexes appearing. But it doesn't seem to stop OTHER advanced enemies from appearing as time progresses. And I bet you get something sweet for researching codexes.

Never did get why people put off the Alien Base Assault for so long. It unlocks psychic powers, people! C'mon!

For me it's always me wanting to be super geared up. I'm kind of glad the doom timer will force my hand a bit.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Oh thank god...

I can sleep tonight without those troubling dreams I've been having.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Total biscuit kept mentioning how tough the final mission is and I can't wait. The final mission in EW was disappointing because you basically steamed rolled everything

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

DrManiac posted:

Total biscuit kept mentioning how tough the final mission is and I can't wait. The final mission in EW was disappointing because you basically steamed rolled everything

If you never accidentally overwatch killed the final boss in EU/EW then you never truly played the game!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ramadu posted:

If you never accidentally overwatch killed the final boss in EU/EW then you never truly played the game!

I do believe you mean "killed the final boss with Neural Feedback" :colbert:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Thank goodness, I'm well over reccomended specs.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

monster on a stick posted:

That almost happened in the LP! Man it was tough getting exactly the right stuff to happen in the order I wanted it to then, haha.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

I just did that over the weekend on my latest C/I run. I couldn't believe feedback did that much damage, it's a million times more useful than the other one. I even had a sectoid commander kill himself from mind controlling one of my guys.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Has anyone (streamer/youtuber wise) tried to actually use concealment beyond finding the first pod and popping it? I'd like to see if it's possible to play XCOM2 in a more stealthy (to the extent that concealment allows when missions generally require killing all aliens) manner, or at the very least playing a more standard game of cat and mouse versus the rare attempt to do anything more than setup the first available kill.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hey all. Sorry if this has been answered before, but I'm trying to avoid spoilers when possible. Is there going to be a preload for this? :D

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

nessin posted:

Has anyone (streamer/youtuber wise) tried to actually use concealment beyond finding the first pod and popping it? I'd like to see if it's possible to play XCOM2 in a more stealthy (to the extent that concealment allows when missions generally require killing all aliens) manner, or at the very least playing a more standard game of cat and mouse versus the rare attempt to do anything more than setup the first available kill.

Yes, and it's a really bad idea to try to sneak past everyone to get to the objective. There's almost always a pod at the objective itself, and attempting to get behind the first pod usually results in getting your team sandwiched between two or more pods, which is disastrous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The grapple on the Spider Suit is now a free action on a cool down, rather than an action-taking one that can be used consecutively. Should be good for Sniper-Sharpshooters and both Ranger subclasses.