Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

My Imaginary GF posted:

Tremors? All those anti-nuke movies of the 80's? Based on the unfounded assumption that the US Army hadn't learned the lessons of the Yom Kippur War and developed our undefeatable military.

I think I missed the geopolitical subtext of Tremors, is the US represented by the sand worms or by Dolly Parton?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Flavahbeast posted:

I think I missed the geopolitical subtext of Tremors, is the US represented by the sand worms or by Dolly Parton?

The United States are the worm and Castro is footloose.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Have the general conditions in Egypt improved by any means since the fall of Mubarak (or Morsi)?

Are Arab states in general better off (for world security) being authoritarian states instead of democratic theocracy/jihadist anarchy?

1) No

2) Some notable Arab authoritarians: Assad (and his father), Hussein, Nasser, Gaddafi.... so no.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Barzani said a thing:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

fade5 posted:

Barzani said a thing:

gently caress Barzani, for the record, but he makes a good point.

Good luck having a fair referendum in Kurdistan, currently filled with refugees and (purposefully) lacking many recent occupants.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Count Roland posted:

1) No

2) Some notable Arab authoritarians: Assad (and his father), Hussein, Nasser, Gaddafi.... so no.

Notable democracies: Tunisia and to a significant degree Lebanon. Arabs truly get out of hand without a boot to their chest.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Flavahbeast posted:

Sorry, I was thinking of Threads.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Svartvit posted:

Notable democracies: Tunisia and to a significant degree Lebanon. Arabs truly get out of hand without a boot to their chest.

Lebanon is a solid contender for Unluckiest Modern Functioning* State.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Lebanon is a solid contender for Unluckiest Modern Functioning* State.

It's not unlucky that it was designed to fail.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Count Roland posted:

Good luck having a fair referendum in Kurdistan, currently filled with refugees and (purposefully) lacking many recent occupants.

We need a global Marshall Plan of Referenda

Syria gets new elections - Crimea and East Ukraine - Kurds get an autonomy vote. Countries with US bases get to vote on whether or not America is welcome.

Daesh has to be gone, though.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grouchio posted:

Have the general conditions in Egypt improved by any means since the fall of Mubarak (or Morsi)?

Are Arab states in general better off (for world security) being authoritarian states instead of democratic theocracy/jihadist anarchy?

Shadi Hamid had an excellent article on this exact subject not long ago.

quote:

From July 2013 to May 2015, there were a total of 1,223 attacks over 23 months, an average of 53.2 attacks per month. In the 23 months prior to June 2013, there were a mere 78 attacks, an average of 3.4 attacks per month.

quote:

On Oct. 24, 2014, at least 33 Egyptian soldiers were killed, in what was, until then, the deadliest attack on security personnel since the coup. Ansar Beit al-Maqdis claimed responsibility. In response, Egyptian authorities moved to establish a buffer zone, forcing up to 10,000 residents to evacuate their homes, some with only 48 hours notice. The Egyptians military’s narrow security lens and harsh tactics have, in effect, further alienated local residents and helped fuel the insurgency. Shortly after the army began “relocating” villages, the number of attacks increased once again, but this time to previously unheard-of levels. The first five months of 2015 saw an average of 114.6 attacks, with an all-time high of 138 attacks in May.

This is not to say that the creation of a buffer zone transformed people into ideological hard-liners in a matter of weeks, but, rather, that groups like the Islamic State seek to exploit local grievances and depend on local sympathy to stage successful attacks. Zack Gold, a researcher who specializes on the Sinai, wrote that due to the army’s scorched-earth tactics, “whole swaths of North Sinai civilization no longer exist.” One resident of the border town of Rafah, after learning his home would be destroyed, said: “I won’t lie. I’m more afraid of the army than the jihadis. When you’re oppressed, anyone who fights your oppression gets your sympathy.” Another Sinai resident, according to journalist Mohannad Sabry, said that after 90 percent of his village was destroyed in a security campaign, around 40 people took up arms, where through 2013, he knew of only five Ansar Beit al-Maqdis members in the village.

There's a lot more here.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/08/06/sisi-is-the-best-gift-the-islamic-state-ever-got/

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

McDowell posted:

Syria gets new elections - Crimea and East Ukraine - Kurds get an autonomy vote. Countries with US bases get to vote on whether or not America is welcome.

You are unironically worse than MIGF.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

McDowell posted:

I like your stuff sometimes but this is just atrocious.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bip Roberts posted:

It's not unlucky that it was designed to fail.

And yet even beyond that, it keeps getting kicked in the teeth by neighboring events. Israel's regular slapfights with Hezbollah, absolutely preposterous Syrian refugee influx, and before that Syria's ongoing efforts to make it functionally a vassal state.

I guess numbers 1 and 3 could have been predicted by the political geography, but still.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

TildeATH posted:

You are unironically worse than MIGF.

He's great.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Count Roland posted:

I like your stuff sometimes but this is just atrocious.

It's the best idea I've got for how to bring reason back to the world :eng99:

What else can the Kissingers or all the think tankers offer as the dream of interdependence and peace seems to dissolve into ethnic and fundamentalist strife?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

The world is already governed by reason McDowell, it's all just physics. The 21st century is when the World imposes reason on man and his follies.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

McDowell posted:

It's the best idea I've got for how to bring reason back to the world :eng99:

What else can the Kissingers or all the think tankers offer as the dream of interdependence and peace seems to dissolve into ethnic and fundamentalist strife?

How about my proposal to hand all the bad people in the world a gun with a single bullet.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Squalid posted:

The world is already governed by reason McDowell, it's all just physics. The 21st century is when the World imposes reason on man and his follies.

That is the darker side of my Gnostic belief - but I try to be positive.

Bip Roberts posted:

How about my proposal to hand all the bad people in the world a gun with a single bullet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE3-sxaOJDo

Neil Breen died for your sins.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

McDowell is great. Dark Gnostism ftw!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

"The way I see it, some members of the opposition, formed according to a list in Riyadh, are too pampered by some sponsors, in particular, Turkey, who blocked the emergence of the Kurdish Democratic Union Party," he said.

"We agreed from the outset that the International Syria Support Group will be influencing the opposition and the government to ensure the negotiations proceed without any preconditions and be inclusive," Lavrov said. "Therefore, relying on foreign sponsors in that they will do the negotiations for you and putting forward ultimatums is an absolutely short-sighted stance having no prospects to succeed."

Said the Russian Foreign Minister on behalf of Assad at the peace talks for the Syrian Civil War. :irony:

http://tass.ru/en/politics/854184?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tass%2FQvIl+%28TASS%29

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bip Roberts posted:

The bullet manufacturing lobbyist has gotten to you too?

:(

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Reports are coming in that Daesh's supreme commanders have booked it to Libya.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

If that's the case they're dumber than I thought. The CIA is all over the loving place in Libya and literally anyone will sell them out for a suitcase full of cash.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Zeroisanumber posted:

If that's the case they're dumber than I thought. The CIA is all over the loving place in Libya and literally anyone will sell them out for a suitcase full of cash.
I forget, does the Libyan population still like us for getting rid of Gaddafi? Or at least part of the Libyan population? Because if so it seems like it'd be not all that difficult to find local ground allies to support against ISIL, if ISIL really is going to shift themselves to Libya.

And big news, apparently the siege of Nubl and Zahraa has finally been broken:

Note that this does not mean the Idlib rebels are cut off from Turkey, there's still border access on the other side to the southwest of Afrin canton. It does split the rebels into two groups though.

One of the opposition groups has an opinions about the Kurds:
https://twitter.com/gebeilym/status/694847773980676096

quote:

Asked by a Rudaw reporter his view on the YPG, Alloush said: "We consider forces like the PYD to be a branch of the regime." #TwitterKurds
Note that this is not the recently deceased Zahran Alloush, but rather the Syrian opposition negotiator Mohamed Alloush, representing Jaish al-Islam::

quote:

Senior Syrian opposition negotiator Mohamed Alloush, representing Jaish al-Islam (Islam Army), a major rebel group, said on Tuesday he was not optimistic about the prospects for peace talks in Geneva.

"Nothing has changed in the situation on the ground so as long as the situation is like this we are not optimistic," he told reporters. "There are no good intentions from the regime's side to reach a solution."

He was speaking minutes before a government delegation arrived at U.N. headquarters in Geneva to meet Special Envoy Staffan de Mistura to discuss a proposal on humanitarian issues.
You know you'd think some of the rebel groups would be trying to tone down some of the anti-Kurdish stuff, given how hard they're starting to be squeezed by the SAA and ISIL. "Don't make enemies you don't have to" and all that.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 3, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

fade5 posted:

I forget, does the Libyan population still like us for getting rid of Gaddafi? Or at least part of the Libyan population? Because if so it seems like it'd be not all that difficult to find local ground allies to support against ISIL, if ISIL really is going to shift themselves to Libya.

Note that this does not mean the Idlib rebels are cut off from Turkey, there's still border access on the other side to the southwest of Afrin canton.

One of the opposition groups has an opinions about the Kurds:
https://twitter.com/gebeilym/status/694847773980676096

Note that this is not the recently deceased Zahran Alloush, but rather the Syrian opposition negotiator Mohamed Alloush, representing Jaish al-Islam::

You know you'd think some of the rebel groups would be trying to tone down some of the anti-Kurdish stuff, given how hard they're starting to be squeezed by the SAA and ISIL. "Don't make enemies you don't have to" and all that.

They consider the PYD to be allies with the regime based on the regime enclaves within PYD territory and the peace between them. And they're very much "you're either with us or against us" types. That's what all the fighting that has happened between non-ISIS opposition groups and the YPG have been about, and there's a fairly long record of it. So it's not so much making enemies as it is using their stage to troll them.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Pretty deep questions. One take: authoritarian states exist by ripping apart the internal mechanics of a country until it is the only thing pulling it together, like a particularly efficient parasite. Institutions, checks on corruption and abuse, that falls to the wayside in favor of the primary objective, staying in power.

Egypt wasn't any better in all 12 months of Morsi's rule because of all the remnants of the authoritarian deep state (the military, the judiciary, etc) driven to see him and MB fall, along with no tools available to actually create a more positive outcome, due to my first point above.

Democracy happens when it becomes sustainable due to strong institutions, aneducated and hopeful populace and elite, and a lucky wind shrinking authoritarian elements in the state ala Tunisia (which is stil on somewhat shaky grounds, in no small part due to the instability of their neighbors).

Democracy leading to better off outcomes is the last in a long line of necessary steps, IMO.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Grouchio posted:

That was the general conclusion of the Iraq war, both on the US and Iraqi side. This is what really held Obama back during the red line timeframe- it's not enough that someone is really really bad, we need a general plan for how removing them will make things better.

Shageletic posted:

Democracy happens when it becomes sustainable due to strong institutions, aneducated and hopeful populace and elite, and a lucky wind shrinking authoritarian elements in the state ala Tunisia (which is stil on somewhat shaky grounds, in no small part due to the instability of their neighbors).

Democracy leading to better off outcomes is the last in a long line of necessary steps, IMO.

Good points here.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I like how people here keep wondering if democracy is a good thing for Arabs when the west (and east) have spent the last century and until today doing everything in their power to prevent it from happening, it's literally the only thing Arabs have never gotten a chance to do. so it stands to reason that it's an improvement over their current situation.

what does he even mean by 'world security' as opposed to the magnificent track record left behind by the dictatorships.

World Kraid Center
Oct 18, 2009
i can't take anyone who actually thinks saying 'daesh' is some kind of verbal victory seriously

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

fade5 posted:

Note that this does not mean the Idlib rebels are cut off from Turkey, there's still border access on the other side to the southwest of Afrin canton. It does split the rebels into two groups though.

The rebels do still have supply lines, but it is limits them quite a bit, and possibly stretches supply lines to Aleppo further. In addition, makes their lines far more predictable thus easier to target with airstrikes. If pro-government forces can sustain their advance, it could very well be fairly decisive for the Aleppo front.

Also, PYD/YPG - regime links have been discussed for a while, and I think it is evidence there is some active cooperation there even if they have separate motives. That said, I think any strategy from the West that counts the Kurds as a force to balance the regime is pretty much a dead-letter at this point.

Shageletic posted:

Pretty deep questions. One take: authoritarian states exist by ripping apart the internal mechanics of a country until it is the only thing pulling it together, like a particularly efficient parasite. Institutions, checks on corruption and abuse, that falls to the wayside in favor of the primary objective, staying in power.

Egypt wasn't any better in all 12 months of Morsi's rule because of all the remnants of the authoritarian deep state (the military, the judiciary, etc) driven to see him and MB fall, along with no tools available to actually create a more positive outcome, due to my first point above.

I think the economic argument needs to be mentioned as well, Tunisia was also willing to channel deficit spending into entry level public sector jobs which has so far made a big difference. You need a stable economic foundation if you hope to build any sort of workable democratic institutions. In Egypt, it didn't exist for a variety of reasons and really still hasn't even with the amount of money that has been flowing from the Gulf states to Sisi.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 3, 2016

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ardennes posted:

I think the economic argument needs to be mentioned as well, Tunisia was also willing to channel deficit spending into entry level public sector jobs which has so far made a big difference. You need a stable economic foundation if you hope to build any sort of workable democratic institutions. In Egypt, it didn't exist for a variety of reasons and really still hasn't even with the amount of money that has been flowing from the Gulf states to Sisi.

Oh yeah definitely. The correlation between income and the likelihood of a democratic transformation, aka the Lipsit's rule, has been around for fifty years or so, and the ability for a well resourced and agile government to tamp down disconnect is pretty obvious.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

a hundred boners posted:

i can't take anyone who actually thinks saying 'daesh' is some kind of verbal victory seriously

I would argue that it is a tiny step up in terms of both annoying them slightly more than isis/isil, and in terms of a teensy bit of Western cognitive time noticing a funny Arabic wordplay.

What term would you prefer and why?

(I actually think something like "the Rakka theocracy" would be nice but that is cumbersome.)

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I would argue that it is a tiny step up in terms of both annoying them slightly more than isis/isil, and in terms of a teensy bit of Western cognitive time noticing a funny Arabic wordplay.

(I actually think something like "the Rakka theocracy" would be nice but that is cumbersome.)

As long as it's not IS, the worst and most ungoogleable English acronym ever, whatever works. Islamic State, BBC's "the Islamic State Group", ISIS, ISIL, Daesh, w/e. Just not IS

e: raqqa theocracy aka RT would be a nice troll

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Yet again we find ourselves asking what the definition of 'IS' is.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GreyjoyBastard posted:

ISIS/IS. Preferably ISIS given that IS is the weakest acronym ever. People tend to want to disassociate the group from anything related to a caliphate in the aim of disassociating them from Islam, and while that comes from the right place, it's the wrong conclusion to draw. ISIS is a caliphate. ISIS is 100% what a caliphate today looks like in practice. If you try to say ISIS isn't really an Islamic state, than you're building in an excuse for jihadists when that state fails. "ISIS failed because it wasn't a real Islamic state, we can do it better." Daesh of course is an abbreviation for the name so it isn't really circumventing calling them an Islamic state in theory, but I think in practice in the west it's meant as a term to sort of have a laugh at their Islamic legitimacy and their legitimacy to describe themselves as a caliphate. Of course, it's a bit different in the Middle East, where it's more a term of defiance than one of mocking.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/694982132121280512

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Well that was fast

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

quote:

#Syria’s opposition team will leave #Geneva tomorrow morning. They will not return until convinced of better conditions on the ground.
So... they're not going to return? I mean the rebels have lost a hell of a lot of leverage with Russia's intervention, and it's hard to see how they'll get it back.

In other political news, the Syrian Kurds are continuing their "Russia or USA, why not both" strategy:
https://twitter.com/yurybarmin/status/694940851416473600

quote:

Syrian Kurds are opening their office in Moscow on Feb 10. According to sources this PYD representation will serve as a diplomatic mission

A map of the north Aleppo area from Peto Lucem:

Another map and a very interesting and in-depth article about what the SAA's advance means for the North Aleppo supply lines:

quote:

Now, from this newly captured high ground, regime troops can fire on “anything that moves” within this corridor, namely, merchants moving fuel and food back and forth as agreed upon by Idlib rebels and the Islamic State.

The informal trade route runs from Islamic State territory northeast of Aleppo city into rebel-held areas in western Aleppo and Idlib. In June, Victory Army rebels in the northern Aleppo countryside reached an agreement with IS to “keep the road open” for merchants travelling between rebel-held and Islamic State territory, according to a statement by the Victory Army in Aleppo.

The Victory Army benefits from the arrangement by maintaining an ongoing source of fuel for Syrians living in areas under its control, while IS receives food supplies.

If fuel stops flowing to Idlib the regime will have accomplished one of its long-term goals in northern Syria according to Rida al-Basha, a correspondent with pro-regime al-Mayadeen news, who offered Syria Direct his take on the regime’s strategy in January.

“Idlib is now a priority for the Syrian army...separating Idlib and isolating it totally, then liberating it.”

Journalists living in rebel-held Idlib and Aleppo provinces say that electricity, bread ovens, transportation, and other essential services that rely on fuel from Islamic State territory will grind to a halt without fuel.

Idlib province, controlled almost entirely by a coalition of Islamist rebels led by Jabhat a-Nusra, is dependent on fuel-driven generators. A fuel crisis would cause a humanitarian and military “catastrophe” in the northwestern province, opposition journalists tell Syria Direct.

Prior to the diesel-for-food agreement last June, Idlib province experienced a fuel shortage that led residents to demand that rebel factions open trade routes with IS, pro-opposition All4Syria reported in early June. Wednesday’s regime gains north of Aleppo cut off these very trade routes, meaning that any fuel that reaches Idlib province will have to come through Turkey via the Bab al-Hawa crossing in northern Idlib.

Reliance on Turkey has its drawbacks, says one local journalist.

“Turkey did not allow fuel to enter Idlib province during last year’s fuel crisis,” says Hani al-Halal, a correspondent with the opposition Shaam News Network in Idlib. The province’s residents have few options other than to hope that “one of the Gulf countries supportive of the opposition will step up to provide fuel.”

But if the regime continues its advance and captures Bab al-Hawa, an endgame described to Syria Direct by pro-regime correspondent al-Basha, Idlib would be totally isolated from the Turkish border.

“The cutting off of fuel will obviously have a dire impact on rebel militias [in Idlib] who need to operate a large number of military vehicles,” said Muhammad Najm a-Din, a correspondent with pro-opposition Smart News currently in the northern Aleppo countryside.

Already, oil prices in Idlib have spiked as merchants have begun hoarding fuel stockpiles, a correspondent with pro-opposition Idlib News Network told Syria Direct Wednesday.
“If the regime continues to cut off the northern Aleppo countryside from the rest of the rebel-controlled areas [in Idlib], then there will be huge consequences, including the cutoff of electricity since we rely on petrol-driven generators,” said Mustafa Qantar.

Food will continue to arrive from Turkey via the Bab al-Howa border crossing for now, but merchants will sell them at inflated prices due to the increase in transportation costs, said Qantar. Because Idlib is so densely populated, the affects of an impending fuel shortage means the province is “on the verge of a catastrophe,” concludes Qantar.
So even though there's still rebel access to the Turkish border, this is a lot bigger than it looks at first second glance.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Al-Saqr posted:

I like how people here keep wondering if democracy is a good thing for Arabs when the west (and east) have spent the last century and until today doing everything in their power to prevent it from happening, it's literally the only thing Arabs have never gotten a chance to do. so it stands to reason that it's an improvement over their current situation.

what does he even mean by 'world security' as opposed to the magnificent track record left behind by the dictatorships.

I don't think that people are wondering if democracy is a good thing for Arabs, people are simply wondering if the conditions are right. Our first attempt at democracy in Germany ended in a catastrophe, because after the fall of the authoritarian institutions, the moderate center couldn't hold the state together against a hostile extreme left and extreme right. With the result that the Nazis took over and ended that experiment with democracy. Or look at South America, where many of these democracies experienced military dictatorships taking over their countries for a while, mostly because they used the dumb US system of democracy. I don't think it's wrong to wonder if similar adverse conditions exist for Arab states.

• Locked thread