Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Splash Cars is a pretty fun cross between Pako and Splatoon that has you driving around painting a gray scale level as long as your fuel holds out. Its currently out in region limited soft launch but it should be out for everyone sometime this week, probably Thursday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Thomas was Alone is something crazy like 20 cents right now (cdn).

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Thomas was Alone is something crazy like 20 cents right now (cdn).

Also usd what a friggin rip with the kanukian dollar so low against the almighty u ess dee

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
lol it's 0,1€

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

allsizesfitone posted:

We're never getting another Kairosoft game, are we? I tried so hard to like Fiz, but it's not the same.

Benevolent Kairosoft answers your prayers

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.kairosoft.android.tennis_en

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

"Best Tennis RPG I have played..."

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Any idea whether they're keeping the ad-free subscription model? Didn't see that mentioned in any of the reviews.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Google is still letting games release with no app data sync in the space-year 2016?!

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Sage Solitaire coming to Android this week:
https://twitter.com/NoodlecakeGames/status/694564054799486977

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

New Leaf posted:

"Best Tennis RPG I have played..."

Shame on this person. Clearly Mario Tennis on the Gameboy Color is the best tennis RPG, if not the best tennis game of all time.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Wintermutant posted:

Any idea whether they're keeping the ad-free subscription model? Didn't see that mentioned in any of the reviews.

I just bought Tennis Club Story since Tennis flavor Kairosoft sounded appealing and there's no ads at all.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Wintermutant posted:

From what I've seen they alternate methods with their releases. I assume $4.99 means it is the full game upfront.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Good to hear; haven't had my Kairosoft fix in awhile so will have to pick it up.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lakbay posted:

I just bought Tennis Club Story since Tennis flavor Kairosoft sounded appealing and there's no ads at all.
Can you tell us more about the game, maybe which other game(s) it is most similar to? Do you build a tennis club or a tennis player or what?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
You build a tennis club. I've only played the more RPGish Kairosoft games (Dungeon Village, Beastie Bay, etc) and you just watch your dudes participate in matches (so far) without you actually playing them. I guess it's like dungeon village? There hasn't been a lot of building up the club yet (I only have 3 buildings)

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Sounds like the Kairo sports formula like Pocket League and Race.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Echophonic posted:

Sounds like the Kairo sports formula like Pocket League and Race.
These were the best games!

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I've never played a Kairosoft game, is there a "best of" list, or one in particular I should check out?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Start with Game Dev Story and work your way down from there.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I would play Game Dev, the Racing one, maybe the soccer one and then maybe the dungeon one or the pyramid one.

Depending on what you like, we can recommend other ones.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I would play Game Dev, the Racing one, maybe the soccer one and then maybe the dungeon one or the pyramid one.

Depending on what you like, we can recommend other ones.

Definitely get Game Dev Story, because:

... something I made in Game Dev Story.

My shining achievement, however, was a FPS-Golf mashup called "Holes-in-Every-One". :colbert:

Sold like crazy.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Mega Mall and Pyraplex are similar to each other, and my favorite ones.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Light Gun Man posted:

Mega Mall and Pyraplex are similar to each other, and my favorite ones.

Exactly, so if someone loved Pyraplex, I'd definitely recommend Mega Mall.

If you liked Game Dev, I'd recommend Magazine Mogul, Anime Studio (And Fiz)

If you like Grand Prix, I'd recommend Pocket League and Pocket Stables.

There's demos for a ton of them, nothing to lose.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Haerc posted:

I've never played a Kairosoft game, is there a "best of" list, or one in particular I should check out?

I actually got bored with Game Dev Story pretty quick. I loved Pocket League 2 and Pocket Harvest however.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I really don't get Kairosoft games, it all just seems like incomprehensible gibberish to me and I never progress. I don't know what any of the cutesy icons mean or what any of the stats do ever. Dungeon Village was the closest I've come to actually understanding the game.

On the flip side, Fiz surfaces its mechanics so much that it feels too clinical.

Motosport Manager is so far the only management sim I've liked on Android, nice graphics, not too many fiddly bits and I can actually progress at a decent pace.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Indie dev OrangePixel has a new game out called Space Grunts, a sci-fi turn-based action roguelike (think Sproggiwood but with guns and also in space).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

mrkillboy posted:

Indie dev OrangePixel has a new game out called Space Grunts, a sci-fi turn-based action roguelike (think Sproggiwood but with guns and also in space).

Is this as incredible as it sounds? If so, I'll check it out. I have a few survey bucks for either this or that Solitaire game that was posted earlier.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Is this as incredible as it sounds? If so, I'll check it out. I have a few survey bucks for either this or that Solitaire game that was posted earlier.

I think its pretty decent, and provides a good challenge - I've played a few games and haven't progressed far into it. I feel that the controls aren't as responsive as Sproggiwood though (since when you move it takes an extra step to adjust your aim first), and you can't just stand still and skip turns either. It also reminds me quite a bit of Wayward Souls in that the levels consist of you moving through and clearing a series of closed off rooms (besides the pixel art look of course)..

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 3, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

mrkillboy posted:

I think its pretty decent, and provides a good challenge - I've played a few games and haven't progressed far into it. I feel that the controls aren't as responsive as Sproggiwood though (since when you move it takes an extra step to adjust your aim first), and you can't just stand still and skip turns either. It also reminds me quite a bit of Wayward Souls in that the levels consist of you moving through and clearing a series of closed off rooms (besides the pixel art look of course)..
Fast-paced arcade turn-based roguelike is contradictory and throwing me off. What the hell do they actually mean?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Haerc posted:

I went Game Dev and then Grand Prix story.

While I love Game Dev, I found Grand Prix story much more replayable.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

CrashCat posted:

Fast-paced arcade turn-based roguelike is contradictory and throwing me off. What the hell do they actually mean?

I think the simplest way I can describe how it works is to imagine a game of Pac-Man where you can only move one step at a time, and the ghosts move only when you move.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 3, 2016

RussianBear
Sep 14, 2003

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds
Magic Puzzle Quest has been updated.

http://toucharcade.com/2016/02/02/magic-the-gathering-puzzle-quest-gets-first-major-update-adds-new-quick-battle-mode-and-more/

I'm enjoying it so far. The heroic encounters are a pain in the rear end though.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

mrkillboy posted:

I think the simplest way I can describe how it works is to imagine a game of Pac-Man where you can only move one step at a time, and the ghosts move only when you move.

Umm... So like any rogue-like? How is that different from let's say Nethack or Pixel Dungeon?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
It's really like a turn-based Nuclear Throne with on-use items.

I mean it's really like any roguelike except you have ranged attacks.

I don't know how this is confusing

suuma fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 3, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Well anyway it's a turn based game and not a twitch game so that's all I really wanted to know. I don't know what's "arcade" or "action" about that but I don't care, as long as I don't have to deal with twitchy controls. I hate fumbling like an idiot to react to poo poo on my smooth slippery tablet so I avoid anything that requires it.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Sage Solitaire is now out:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.noodlecake.sagesolitaire

$3.99 in app purchase for no ads, extra modes, wallpapers and card backs.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

CrashCat posted:

Well anyway it's a turn based game and not a twitch game so that's all I really wanted to know. I don't know what's "arcade" or "action" about that but I don't care, as long as I don't have to deal with twitchy controls. I hate fumbling like an idiot to react to poo poo on my smooth slippery tablet so I avoid anything that requires it.

I haven't played the game but it wouldn't surprise me if that blurb was written more for the general public as opposed to people who are super familiar with roguelikes. Roguelikers often refer to shorter, more fast-paced games as "coffeebreak" roguelikes but I doubt using that term in the textual bloodsport of app store SEO tricks would work very well. Casual gamers and children won't be searching the Internet for that term.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

My main question is... is Space Grunts worth it? I enjoyed Pixel Dungeon, but got tired of it after a while.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
I think it is. Its also 50% off until Friday so if you want to grab it, now is probably the best time.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

It's not grabbing me as much as Pixel Dungeon, but maybe I need to play a bit more. Doesn't seem to have much depth.