Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm going to use this argument to plug the opening to zwei 2 cause i like it even though the sound quality in this video is garbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD_0BQhdgDM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

there was a gag anime where the cast of ys were at a school

there's a magical girl anime in Tokyo Xanadu starring Rean and Alisa.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Endorph posted:

there was a gag anime where the cast of ys were at a school

Ys and TitS both, and it was worth a couple of laughs. Each episode was like 5 minutes too, so if it wasn't your thing it wasn't a waste of time.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

I haven't played Falcom's non-PC releases (besides Gurumin). So if that is extreme then I will concede.

Also I like anime a lot, I watch it all the time. I just don't like that moe moe poo poo and other crap. That's why I can tolerate something like say Persona 3 but I found it difficult just watching the Treehouse videos of Genei Ibun Roku FE. Even though both are anime-like, which isn't a bad thing by itself, but one is much more extreme than the other as its theme is constantly in your face much more often.

EDIT - Are the Zwei games any good?

The Colonel posted:

the new xanadu game that falcom made, has a fictional idol group prominently featured in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_webx_PCsps

one of the cutscenes in the game is a cg-animated idol concert

I won't be buying the game now when it inevitably releases in the West.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 2, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

persona 3 is moe

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWyuH_yVhCQ

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

want that image of alisa winking as an av

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I've been on a Breath of Fire kick. I'm wrapping up 3 and want to give Dragon Quarter another try.

I always got too stressed out by the energy meter that constantly ticks down, and I never really understood how the restart mechanic was supposed to be used other than that it exists.

Someone give me protips for how to enjoy this game.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Um is there really a xanadu game?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Um is there really a xanadu game?

For Vita, yeah, but it's more like Trails of Cold Steel if it were an action game and even more Persona-esque.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Xseed is bringing out xanadu next this year too, it's an old pc and n-gage game

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Scoss posted:

I've been on a Breath of Fire kick. I'm wrapping up 3 and want to give Dragon Quarter another try.

I always got too stressed out by the energy meter that constantly ticks down, and I never really understood how the restart mechanic was supposed to be used other than that it exists.

Don't worry about it, use dragon powers when you need to, if you run out before endgame just restart with the bonuses you've got through previous playthroughs.

Like the game is honestly not that long, you're meant to replay it a couple times for new cutscenes.

If you really want don't use Bonus Exp for like one or two failed playthroughs then dump it all on Ryu to make up for his dragon powers, and then skip more enemies with the dragon dash.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

lets hang out posted:

Xseed is bringing out xanadu next this year too, it's an old pc and n-gage game

From what I've heard the game is one of the best action RPGs out there. It rivals Ys Origin and Oath in Felghana.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Um I was expecting me some Olivia Newton-John rollerskating jrpg action... not anime.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
7th Dragon on the DS is Good, I made a translation utility for it when I was a wee high schooler but it is no longer necessary with the fan translation.

I highly recommend using the patch with the translator's gameplay improvements, by the by, unless you really loving like damage floors and an incredible random encounter rate and being forced to use two particular classes to mitigate these things

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Scoss posted:

The dragon skill that doubles your power stacks --- expontentially --- if used more than once, IIRC.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Um I was expecting me some Olivia Newton-John rollerskating jrpg action... not anime.

Nah, Xanadu as a Falcom IP dates back to a 1985 PC game.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

7th Dragon's fantrans is great but I came into it after EO4 and got really soured on how slow and dated it felt. I'm sure that without that comparison I would have loved it so I'll have to give it another go.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

xanadu is an actual word

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

xanadu is an actual word

It means "not an anadu"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i bought fairy fencer f and its pretty anime, shocking right

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Scoss posted:

Accept that you're probably not going to beat the game on your first run through, so don't hesitate to use your dragon powers to get out of tough spots and get farther. The early parts get quicker as you get more bonus exp and skills, plus knowing where to go and being able to skip cutscenes makes it go by fast.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Motto posted:

i dig the differences in their expressions

also kubla khan is a rad as heck poem

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Stelas posted:

7th Dragon's fantrans is great but I came into it after EO4 and got really soured on how slow and dated it felt. I'm sure that without that comparison I would have loved it so I'll have to give it another go.

I really don't like the EOs (except for the 3DS remakes) but I loved 7th Dragon 2020 I and II to death. Sadly they weren't translated, but I think the series went in a much better direction in the 2020 series, and it looks like the new one improves on it even more. This time around you can have up to 9 characters in your party and can switch between them in battle on the fly.

I can't wait to try out all the classes. The big strength of 2020 I and II was that the classes were really well balanced, so you could play through it with a party comprised of just about anything and still make it through pretty well.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
The thing that bugged me the most about the 2020 games was the tiny parties*, so 3 is a pretty nice change in that regard. Summer 2016 is soon for something like that, too. I might just be coming out of my Fire Emblem coma around then.

*and hatsune miku

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Fire Emblem and Xcom 2 right into Persona 4 right into FF15 right into December for me.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Soul Nomad into one of the SMT PS2 games (P3, P4 or Nocturne, haven't decided which) into maybe the Atelier Iris series or by then I'll have my Japanese PS2 back again so maybe I'll play SRW Z or something.

But if I had a 3DS it'd be Fire Emblem into Popolocrois into 7th Dragon.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Getsuya posted:

Soul Nomad into one of the SMT PS2 games (P3, P4 or Nocturne, haven't decided which) into maybe the Atelier Iris series or by then I'll have my Japanese PS2 back again so maybe I'll play SRW Z or something.

But if I had a 3DS it'd be Fire Emblem into Popolocrois into 7th Dragon.

A 2ds cost like 60 bucks to buy nowadays.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

punk rebel ecks posted:

From what I've heard the game is one of the best action RPGs out there. It rivals Ys Origin and Oath in Felghana.

xanadu next is loving awesome but its similarities with ys are just in bits of boss and enemy design, mechanically the game plays like diablo without classes or loot randomization, with level design and loot drops more in the spirit of castlevania. there are special zelda-style items you have to find and equip to use abilities that let you bypass certain obstacles and access more areas of the world, and every weapon in the game has a special attribute that you can learn through using it and then apply freely to any other weapon, combining it with that weapon's attribute and any others you've learned.

it also has some of falcom's most brilliant ambient music ever and combined with the plot, where you play as a fatally injured, exiled and shamed knight desperately searching for the secret to acquiring a powerful sword that will restore you from your crippled state, it gives the game an amazing, mysterious and terrifying atmosphere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geDWjSbuA44

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 3, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

oh there's already an english patch for xanadu next, that makes me really wish they were just doing tokyo xanadu instead

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lets hang out posted:

oh there's already an english patch for xanadu next, that makes me really wish they were just doing tokyo xanadu instead

One of their editors really wants to do it, so it'll probably happen at some point.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Tae posted:

A 2ds cost like 60 bucks to buy nowadays.

But you see the New 3DS exists and...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

lets hang out posted:

having an official release will make it easier to actually get the game, though

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

But you see the New 3DS exists and...

Seriously just get the n3DS. The 2DS's are being quietly killed off as quickly as Nintendo can do it via Yo-Kai Watch bundles with the remaining stock. Save for a limited run of transparent ones for the OG pokemon games anyway.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I sold off my 3DS some time ago to fund my Wii U. I am now pissed as Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final got announced. I hope I can pick it up far down the road with a eShop release on the NX or something.

The Colonel posted:

xanadu next is loving awesome but its similarities with ys are just in bits of boss and enemy design, mechanically the game plays like diablo without classes or loot randomization, with level design and loot drops more in the spirit of castlevania. there are special zelda-style items you have to find and equip to use abilities that let you bypass certain obstacles and access more areas of the world, and every weapon in the game has a special attribute that you can learn through using it and then apply freely to any other weapon, combining it with that weapon's attribute and any others you've learned.

it also has some of falcom's most brilliant ambient music ever and combined with the plot, where you play as a fatally injured, exiled and shamed knight desperately searching for the secret to acquiring a powerful sword that will restore you from your crippled state, it gives the game an amazing, mysterious and terrifying atmosphere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geDWjSbuA44

Sounds great.

lets hang out posted:

Ehh, I like XSeed localization. And Tokyo Xanadu WILL come out. Falcom has tasted the Western market and will not look back.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Man, why do I always miss Atelier chat in this thread? :( Maybe next time.

Also, what kind of game is God Eater? I'll probably get God Eater 2 at some after release, but is it more of an RPG or action game?

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
It's a hunter game. The Pepsi to Monster Hunter's Coke.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Motto posted:

Anime then...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
<japanese game> is anime is the most boring loving thing to say, shut the hell up you loving retards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sylphid posted:

Also, what kind of game is God Eater? I'll probably get God Eater 2 at some after release, but is it more of an RPG or action game?

God Eater is Monster Hunter's faster cousin. It has some neat gimmicks like customizing the animations and effects of your bullets and lets you freely switch between melee and ranged weapons during missions. You can also eat an enemy and shoot its attacks at your friends other enemies your friends.

Every mission is followed by some very MST3K worthy anime cutscenes. Very fun to laugh at.