Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

Counterpoint: Hearthstone and every other f2p Card Game ever.

Hearthstone is convincing you that 5 cards are worth $2 so that's really the same point. They eliminated the secondary market in their game but they bill you out of $2 packs unless you have been playing since the dawn of the game for hours a day to grind out freebies playing a boring and bad game that sucks without the chase rares so much that most people buy packs rather than grinding forever. That's their business model, make the game crap until you put dollars into the machine.

Magic does the same thing mind, I'm just not sure how you can think its a counterpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I've played Magic since 97, and I can assure you I regularly purchased packs when there were no cards above $20 in them.
Hell, back in Mirrodin, only Chrome Mox was above 10, and people were talking about "how expensive standard has become".

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mehall posted:

I've played Magic since 97, and I can assure you I regularly purchased packs when there were no cards above $20 in them.
Hell, back in Mirrodin, only Chrome Mox was above 10, and people were talking about "how expensive standard has become".

I've bought dozens of packs of Fallen Empires in my lifetime. And I remember when packs price increased to $3 and everyone thought it was the end of the world.

Also wtf $50 internet?! Mine is $80 and only because we have cable with it; it would be $90 for just internet! And it's unreliable garbage!

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

I've bought dozens of packs of Fallen Empires in my lifetime. And I remember when packs price increased to $3 and everyone thought it was the end of the world.

Also wtf $50 internet?! Mine is $80 and only because we have cable with it; it would be $90 for just internet! And it's unreliable garbage!

Call and threaten to cancel, they'll transfer you to "keeps" (the retention department) and cut you deal to not go with *The Other Guys In Town* or whatever the other option is. DSL instead of cable. You can get surprisingly good deals doing this.

All this MTG finance poo poo is hilarious, honestly. I think there's merit to both sides, and definitely agree that Hearthstone is dumb.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Olothreutes posted:

Call and threaten to cancel, they'll transfer you to "keeps" (the retention department) and cut you deal to not go with *The Other Guys In Town* or whatever the other option is. DSL instead of cable. You can get surprisingly good deals doing this.

Yeah, I already did that. We lost $100 off the bill and a few channels but we got HBO out of the deal. I'm pretty sure Comcast is aware of the fact that they're the only option where I live.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hearthstone is 20 games (for 2 gold a game,) and that's if you don't do the daily quests, then you use that 200 gold to get a ticket to the "Arena" which has you play one of those random drafts where you open a ton of cards and build a pack from it. You then play, and win packs exponentially and it caps out at 13 (games won,) which ends up netting you like 3 packs and another ticket to the arena so you can win another 3 packs etc etc.

Going f2p in Magic Online requires you to spend $10 on the game, $10 to buy a modern / standard deck that's competitive enough to win, and then a bunch of tickets to enter the tournament, there's no other way to f2p if you don't win the tournaments for more tickets.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Sigma-X posted:

It will completely shake the foundation of this game's monetization - the entire reason you buy packs at $4 is because it could have a card in there worth more than $4. Every loving pre-release, this thread gets hundreds of posts that amount to "spent $20, did poo poo, but at least I opened $value card" or "didn't open anything worth $value in my pool, but I won X packs so I made my money back / opened $value in one of the packs."

i googled your extremely bad post to make sure it wasn't a reddit c/p or whatever, but actually the way this game works is that the price of a box determines the price of the cards, and if they reprint more expensive cards then the cards become less expensive.

what everyone wants is for $90 cards like liliana to be in whatever standard set so that she can drop to $40 or $50 and the rest of the cards in standard can be half price for a while.

and for what it's worth, if i could buy any deck for $100 or so and never had any chance to get prize money i'm sure i would have done it in a heartbeat before i burned out on trying to pay for cards lmao

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Sigma-X posted:

mythical mtgfinancier who is Buying All The Good Cards And Making Them Spike instead of it simply being a bunch of individuals buying 4-ofs of the cards that are actually worth playing and therefore worth money, making them worth more money

It always makes me happy to see people point this out in a medium that doesn't require listening to an hour of Jason Alt yelling and/or Buffalo Wild Wings discussion to get to it. Sure, there might be some actual dumb poo poo going on when Unplayable Legends Garbage Card #11 hits fifty dollars, but it's amazing how few Magic players seem to realize that the reason the cards they just started wanting suddenly cost more is because every other Magic player started wanting them too.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Man, you guys get hosed by cost of internet.

I should be paying £37 p/m for internet, and I get 55mbps typically. (I pay less thanks to staff discount, but 37 would be fine anyway)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

I was bored and sick one night so I watched professional Korean Hearthstone on OGN Global. It was okay? I didn't find it super compelling but the crowd got hyphy as gently caress when the underdog dude who was getting rolled hit the perfect top deck.

OGN Hearthstone coverage is already leaps and bounds better than pro MTG coverage but OGN are really great at broadcasting esports and spend money on a quality product so that's not really much of a comparison.

well they've been doing it since like 2000

Now I want to watch an OSL in BW and I'm sad

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Shadow225 posted:

It's much easier to cast a game that is digital than a game that is being played live.

The quality of the english casters is such a huge difference though. Artosis and DoA would immediately be the best casting duo in MOCS history.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

mehall posted:

Man, you guys get hosed by cost of internet.

I should be paying £37 p/m for internet, and I get 55mbps typically. (I pay less thanks to staff discount, but 37 would be fine anyway)

For the record, that's $53 US, which is about what most of us pay for varying speeds based on providers and areas. In my area comcast offers 50 mbps for $45 a month. SuicideSteve's situation seems abnormal.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Olothreutes posted:

For the record, that's $53 US, which is about what most of us pay for varying speeds based on providers and areas. In my area comcast offers 50 mbps for $45 a month. SuicideSteve's situation seems abnormal.

Yeah I pay 80/month for mine but it's 200mbs so it's worth it. I think 50 here is like 40 bucks? Not sure.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is there some other precedent for calling the premier rotating format "standard" besides Magic?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Pokemon does it as well.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I didn't like Hearthstone because I couldn't turn my mans sideways

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Gyshall posted:

I didn't like Hearthstone because I couldn't turn my mans sideways

I actually do find the way that Hearthstone creatures "thunk" into each other to be way less satisfying that tapping to attack, I dunno why.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cactrot posted:

I actually do find the way that Hearthstone creatures "thunk" into each other to be way less satisfying that tapping to attack, I dunno why.

Just play a deck with nothing but 8+ power and never have this problem again.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Xzov posted:

Unless I'm wrong, and Wizards just doesn't care about modern.

They're right not to. It's a dumb format.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

They're right not to. It's a dumb format.

Which format isn't dumb right now?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cactrot posted:

I find it a lot more satisfying. They're shoulder-checking and smashing each other if they're small and if they're really big they fly backwards with a huge wallop.

Of course, someone analyzed this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0mq47asnw

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

[My favorite format]. Which is diverse and interesting. Much unlike [your favorite format], which is lovely, bland, and boring.

I got an ad for this for some f2p Korean game, all the TnA is censored, like, with big boxes and everything.

Good video though.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 3, 2016

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Turtlicious posted:

$10 to buy a modern / standard deck that's competitive enough to win

Whats this now

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Story time: Power Rangers Edition!

Gideon convinces the other Power Rangers to swear that dumb oath on that cycle.

Seriously, that's all that happens.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Making a comparison to Hearthstone is hard because even a pack full of unplayable jank gives you resources towards getting good cards. Also if packs are worth $2 the game gives you about $10 per week in return for pretty little effort.

The f2p model seems mostly pretty generous, I imagine the pricing structure is designed to sting whales who just can't wait

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sickening posted:

All formats are dumb, kitchen table 4 lyfe

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Making a comparison to Hearthstone is hard because even a pack full of unplayable jank gives you resources towards getting good cards. Also if packs are worth $2 the game gives you about $10 per week in return for pretty little effort.

The f2p model seems mostly pretty generous, I imagine the pricing structure is designed to sting whales who just can't wait

But you see, it's the same in magic where you can turn your draft junk into bulk sells which you can eventually turn to store credit and faaaarr-

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Don't pay multiple hundreds or thousands of dollars to play a game

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

If I could turn 320 random commons into one of any mythic, or four of any rare, or 16 uncommons, I would like this a great deal.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
This was one of the most cheesy Uncharted Realms in a long time.

Uncharted Realms: Magic Story

Gideon comes out of the cave and flexes his aching muscles. He looks at the devastation the titans have wrought upon Zendikar and the tteam gets all sad and poo poo. Jace says "well this sucks you guys wanna split?" And then Nissa's like "><" so then Gideon makes a speech about how they need to make the pledges seen on the individual Oath of _____ cards. They do so. Then, feeling empowered by the promises they've made, they decide to have graphic, passionate group sex. Or find out where General Tazri went, one of those.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 3, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't pay multiple hundreds or thousands of dollars to play a game

Golf is a fun, relaxing game though??

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

This was one of the most cheesy Uncharted Realms in a long time.

It really was. Possibly the most ever.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Chill la Chill posted:

Golf is a fun, relaxing game though??

Yes and no, respectively.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

It really was. Possibly the most ever.

Chandra's commitment to Zendikar comes off as really random given that Chandra only showed up like 3 chapters ago and doesn't even know Nissa. Also, I'm pretty sure that Gideon doesn't know that the three Planeswalkers most responsible for all life on Zendikar being extinguished are the other members of the Rangers.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Pro Tour Gauntlet to let players try top Pro Tour Modern decks on MTGO

6 tix, random deck that did well in the PT. Sounds like an actual good idea in MTGO!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BizarroAzrael posted:

6 tix, random deck that did well in the PT. Sounds like an actual good idea in MTGO!

Great idea. I can't wait for the bug that gives players the actual deck. :getin:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

They've started doing a lot of better stuff with MTGO recently actually with the persistent Modern flashbacks, putting the Cubes up multiple times per year and some of the newer constructed events.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Chandra's commitment to Zendikar comes off as really random given that Chandra only showed up like 3 chapters ago and doesn't even know Nissa. Also, I'm pretty sure that Gideon doesn't know that the three Planeswalkers most responsible for all life on Zendikar being extinguished are the other members of the Rangers.

True. Also, I think the oath poo poo would come off way more naturally at the end of the plotline rather than now. "We defeated the Eldrazi but there are there are other great threats blah blah blah"

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yea I have the resources to build any competitive hearthstone deck and I've spent 20$ total. They lowered the payouts for arena a while ago though so that's probably a lot harder to do now.

Actually spending money on packs is still a huge ripoff though. Like mtg it's only marginally better EV compared to throwing your money into a large body of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

BizarroAzrael posted:

This is really very nice and good

• Locked thread