Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

fennesz posted:

I think I'm just sick of grinding easy dungeons for 5-7 weeks so I can manage all of the quirks, upgrade equipment and skills before I can do other dungeons. Not to mention huge money sinks in disease removal, stress relief and the occasional uber expensive quirk removal (for real 9k to get someone to stop stealing :qq:). I think I just don't have the patience for it, though you're definitely right. A patient, more thoughtful player than me could find success over the long term. But that ain't me I guess.

I think one thing I may have overlooked were the negative Ruins/Weald/Cove quirks that may have been totally messing up my stress/damage/accuracy. Like I mentioned, the character panels don't list context specific buffs/debuffs pertaining to light and location. If I'm tooling my party up and see the accuracy is even or positive, I'm going to run with it. The thing that prompted me to post in the thread was losing 3 of my level 6 heroes to a single round of enemy AoE because none of them resisted death at 66% (I think my Vestal was either slow or stunned). The way character development and planning works is you can really only focus on accuracy, damage, stress, debuffs or healing. I get that the game was planned with that in mind, risk v reward, etc. but in later dungeons too many of those attributes become crucial and if you have a round or two of bad luck RIP your team.

e: P.S. it mad sucks you can't see virtue chance either. I'd stacked two +25% virtue chance trinkets on characters twice only to have them go rogue on me when the stress hit :(

Don't rely on Virtue chance, don't rely on Deathblow resist, don't rely on crits(Have acceptable/good damage outside of it), don't rely on dodge(At least, on it's own, if you can help it).

It's extra rolls of the dice you do not need and will hurt you too much in the long run when you need them most.

I hesitate to call them 'trap' choices, at least in the case of Crit and Dodge. I mean, I appreciate going with a varient of 'total defence': making sure that even if stress peaks or you get knocked to Death's Door there's no problem(Indeed, there were builds earlier in the game's life where people stacked enough Deathblow resist that they were nigh-invincible, and went with stuff that would have been more risky because they'd neutered the risk. That's when they put an upper limit on Deathblow resist; something like 90% max), but the issue is you-ideally, though random chance and exhaustion of options can hate you-should not be in a position where you would rely on these things for your survival.

You've seemingly learned this, but you also dislike it. It effectively 'wastes' items-and many of them-because they'll never be used because the game does not 'permit' you to take the risk and still actually be effective, and the game is at it's heart about risk/reward management and dealing with what happens despite all your work. I have no right to comment. Still...it's more money for you. And it generates so many stories, so much commiseration, so much talking. Which may have been a point.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
A way out of the "grinding recruits up to snuff lategame would be to invest heirlooms that become useless at the endgame into leveling up recruits / purchasing higher level ones.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Can ancestral trinkets you've already obtained cycle back in to the reward pool if you lose them?

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Rascyc posted:

Why do people care so much about killing all of the bosses outside of the achievement? Chievos usually require some planning anyway.

Aint gonna purify the seat of our noble line with necromancers and hags wandering around thinking they run the joint.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

staplegun posted:

Aint gonna purify the seat of our noble line with necromancers and hags wandering around thinking they run the joint.

The game is basically cleaning up your Ancestor's mistakes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Nymphomania is a good trait. Huh.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Another reason to do the bosses is hearing more narration of faux-Lovecraft writing, which is always amazing.

I have no idea how they got a clean reading of (second tier Flesh) "I could not store such a prodigious amount of offal, nor could I rid myself of it easily, possessed as it was by unnameable things from outer spheres." out of the guy. Must have been a struggle to keep a straight face recording that.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Snak posted:

Nymphomania is a good trait. Huh.

All-male dev team. :rolleyes:

...Did I just write that?

Wizard Styles posted:

Another reason to do the bosses is hearing more narration of faux-Lovecraft writing, which is always amazing.

I have no idea how they got a clean reading of (second tier Flesh) "I could not store such a prodigious amount of offal, nor could I rid myself of it easily, possessed as it was by unnameable things from outer spheres." out of the guy. Must have been a struggle to keep a straight face recording that.

Wayne June has done audiobooks of HP Lovecraft IIRC; faux-Lovecraft shouldn't faze him too much.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Wizard Styles posted:

"Monstrous size has no intrinsic merit, unless inordinate exsanguination be considered a virtue."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Snow Job posted:

All-male dev team. :rolleyes:

...Did I just write that?

I mean, it's not really out of tone with the game. The way most traits are is that that they are either negative, or "bad" with a twist that makes them good. I feel like Nymphomania should be a "will only use the brothel while in town" but is instead "+20% stress reduction when using Brothel. I honestly don't know enough about nymphomania to know whether this is appropriate or not. Even if it's not, it's hard for me to hold it against a game about the decrepitude of humanity. The context of the game is not the context of real life. And by that I mean that just because the Vestal and the Abomination don't get along doesn't mean that I, or the game, endorse prejudice against shapeshifters.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

captain innocuous posted:

I think if a value is negative it is treated as zero. However, if you receive a buff, then it is lowered by that amount.
From what I've seen, Accuracy, Dodge, and Protection can't go negative, but Speed can. The Matchman in the cannon fight has -20 Speed so it may just be that Speed can go negative to allow for that. I'm actually not 100% on Accuracy, it may also be possible to drive that negative, but I've zeroed out Dodge and Protection before with negatives that should've pushed me below zero and it didn't stick. Meanwhile I have definitely messed around with trinkets and driven a guy to -2 Speed.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Has anyone managed to stack debuff chance so much that you actually can prot debuff the cannon bosses?
They're not hard, just very annoying.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Just killed the veteran Hag and Necromancer this evening. This game is so good.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Can the rubble from the prophet crit by the way? It never happened to me but I want to know for the champion version.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Snak posted:

I mean, it's not really out of tone with the game. The way most traits are is that that they are either negative, or "bad" with a twist that makes them good. I feel like Nymphomania should be a "will only use the brothel while in town" but is instead "+20% stress reduction when using Brothel. I honestly don't know enough about nymphomania to know whether this is appropriate or not.

I'm pretty sure nymphos irl sometimes have a drink, gamble or even pray

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Wafflecopper posted:

I'm pretty sure nymphos irl sometimes have a drink, gamble or even pray

Well like I said, I don't know enough about real nyphomania, but my understanding was that it was similar to an addiction. The way that other addictions are handled in the game is that they denote a preference which manifest in gameplay as a requirement.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

You're thinking about it too hard

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You know how you really like games and playing games (that aren't darkest dungeon) causes you to destress faster than say, watching trash tv?

That's the logic i'm applying to the nympho trait. As others have said, its not outside of the games theme.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I never take deathblow resist or other boring stats. Pretty much only stack damage, crit, acc and speed.

I DO stack dodge like crazy on the dog man, because dog tanking is a pro strat that works almost as much as I want. Otherwise I usually ignore tanks.

(The above is not to be considered advice)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

dyzzy posted:

Can ancestral trinkets you've already obtained cycle back in to the reward pool if you lose them?

I can't confirm for ancestral trinkets, but heads certainly do

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

FrickenMoron posted:

Can the rubble from the prophet crit by the way? It never happened to me but I want to know for the champion version.
I've had him land a crit with it on Champion, yeah. Had to pull out of that one, I tried to do the fight with a Hound Master instead of the MaA and that didn't work out so well.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

fennesz posted:

For real, explain to me what I'm doing wrong. Because I really don't see what else I'm able to do other than stack two +damage/accuracy trinkets and completely forsake deathblow resist/stress relief.
The best way to resist deathblows is to avoid hitting death's door. You do that by :gitgud:, learning to maximize stuns, bringing +stun trinkets, focusing your fire instead of blindly spamming aoes, etc, controlling the battlefield, etc. You do not gear for it. Gear for damage/speed/accuracy/crit/stun% so that 1.) you get to go first and 2.) when you go first you can either lockdown or kill their dudes.

If you are failing this spectacularly, I highly recommend trying out a Plague Doctor. Take Blinding Gas and Disorienting Blast on every PD, and choose the other 2 skills based on zone (blight and medicine in cove, blight in ruins, bleed and medicine in warrens/weald (until you get enough +blight trinkets that she can blight poo poo there comfortably). Using your PD to lock down enemies while your other three mulch them turns many difficult fights into easymode.

fennesz posted:

The thing that prompted me to post in the thread was losing 3 of my level 6 heroes to a single round of enemy AoE because none of them resisted death at 66% (I think my Vestal was either slow or stunned). The way character development and planning works is you can really only focus on accuracy, damage, stress, debuffs or healing. I get that the game was planned with that in mind, risk v reward, etc. but in later dungeons too many of those attributes become crucial and if you have a round or two of bad luck RIP your team.
If 3 of your dudes are at deaths door in one fight, let alone all at the same time, something has already gone terribly wrong and you really need to reconsider everything that led you to that point.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

TheChad posted:

I never take deathblow resist or other boring stats. Pretty much only stack damage, crit, acc and speed.

I DO stack dodge like crazy on the dog man, because dog tanking is a pro strat that works almost as much as I want. Otherwise I usually ignore tanks.

(The above is not to be considered advice)

Yeah dodge is the one defensive stat I would actually take on a trinket. Dodging attacks is so good because it's also stress mitigation. Feather Charm supremacy.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Soothing Vapors posted:

The best way to resist deathblows is to avoid hitting death's door. You do that by :gitgud:, learning to maximize stuns, bringing +stun trinkets, focusing your fire instead of blindly spamming aoes, etc, controlling the battlefield, etc. You do not gear for it. Gear for damage/speed/accuracy/crit/stun% so that 1.) you get to go first and 2.) when you go first you can either lockdown or kill their dudes.

If you are failing this spectacularly, I highly recommend trying out a Plague Doctor. Take Blinding Gas and Disorienting Blast on every PD, and choose the other 2 skills based on zone (blight and medicine in cove, blight in ruins, bleed and medicine in warrens/weald (until you get enough +blight trinkets that she can blight poo poo there comfortably). Using your PD to lock down enemies while your other three mulch them turns many difficult fights into easymode.

If 3 of your dudes are at deaths door in one fight, let alone all at the same time, something has already gone terribly wrong and you really need to reconsider everything that led you to that point.

There it is, the fabled good advice. A rare sight in these dark and perilous times.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Only just noticed the pig men do actually have hands, rather than the weapons being crudely jammed into the stubs of missing limbs. I'm a bit sad at figuring that out.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Dodge is the best stat ever. I don't bother with %prot trinkets because I don't plan on getting hit.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

Only just noticed the pig men do actually have hands, rather than the weapons being crudely jammed into the stubs of missing limbs. I'm a bit sad at figuring that out.

they spend all their time loving, eating people, squealing and killing, and it's the hands that get you

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Internet Kraken posted:

The only boss I'm never going to fight again is the Formless Flesh. I think the rank 3 version is straight up unfair. It does insane damage and crits on a regular basis. I tried fighting it 3 seperate times and each time the same thing happened; ridiculous crits at the start of the fight and the flesh going full offense. Even with the optimal party comp for slaughtering it with DOTs still can't kill it fast enough to keep people out of death's door.

This has been my experience with all champion bosses. Necromancer? The flesh is willing crits and summons a bone general which then crits it's pound putting my hellion at deaths door. Siren? Devour crits for 25 and lands a bleed. Hag witch? Tosses my hellion in the pot then crits a meat tenderizer putting everyone at half hp.

I think champion level crit and dodge needs to be looked at and the rng from them both can be toned down.

E: it would also be nice that after I've cleared a tier of bosses only the next tier of heros shows up in the stage coach. Like if I've done all the veteran tier stuff only level 5s will sho up.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

they spend all their time loving, eating people, squealing and killing, and it's the hands that get you

That's why it annoys me. I thought they were crazy enough to stick rusting blades into their own bodies, but it turns out they're not. :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fennesz posted:

I think I'm just sick of grinding easy dungeons for 5-7 weeks so I can manage all of the quirks, upgrade equipment and skills before I can do other dungeons. Not to mention huge money sinks in disease removal, stress relief and the occasional uber expensive quirk removal (for real 9k to get someone to stop stealing :qq:). I think I just don't have the patience for it, though you're definitely right. A patient, more thoughtful player than me could find success over the long term. But that ain't me I guess.

I think one thing I may have overlooked were the negative Ruins/Weald/Cove quirks that may have been totally messing up my stress/damage/accuracy. Like I mentioned, the character panels don't list context specific buffs/debuffs pertaining to light and location. If I'm tooling my party up and see the accuracy is even or positive, I'm going to run with it. The thing that prompted me to post in the thread was losing 3 of my level 6 heroes to a single round of enemy AoE because none of them resisted death at 66% (I think my Vestal was either slow or stunned). The way character development and planning works is you can really only focus on accuracy, damage, stress, debuffs or healing. I get that the game was planned with that in mind, risk v reward, etc. but in later dungeons too many of those attributes become crucial and if you have a round or two of bad luck RIP your team.

e: P.S. it mad sucks you can't see virtue chance either. I'd stacked two +25% virtue chance trinkets on characters twice only to have them go rogue on me when the stress hit :(

1. Don't try to manage all of the quirks. You'll go nuts. You're supposed to play with the hand you're dealt. The only time you should remove or lock in quirks is when they're really, really bad (remove) or good (lock in) and you have a good reason to believe that hero is going to survive long enough to justify the cost. The game is balanced in such a way that you're almost always going to have to work with a team full of psychologically hosed-up dudes.

2. Don't rely on virtue chance. It's a really small chance even if you stack bonuses to it. Focus on +dodge and +damage trinkets, with +stun/blight/bleed chance trinkets on characters who use those, and +healing on your healer if you're feeling like a little extra healing oomph would help.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

ZypherIM posted:

Most RPGs you need to kill bosses to progress, or they're a sign of progress. That isn't so much the case here. Also you really don't need to be super kitted out to kill most of the bosses, just know what they do, have a good party setup, and execute well.

The lore and the unique fights are definitely good points for fighting a boss but I think this is why people feel like they need to. It'd feel like unfinished business before delving into the Darkest Dungeon. I'm just wondering how the experience is with New Game+. I feel like 91 weeks could be enough time to kill them all but skipping bosses and their Very Rare trinkets is probably more reasonable there or even a good idea. Any NG+ players with that experience?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Man playing on a much older save is enough of a difference that, well, it might be worth just to start a new file in another slot. Gameplay is really different and that can affect your mid-end game and the end result is that one months old Week 30 save is going to be really different and feel really different to a new save that you've only recently played and arrived at Week 30.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

While we're on the subject of pigmen and their quaint ways: if you guys have not done at least one torchless run in the warrens, I highly recommend it. Let the light die out naturally, don't snuff it. Make sure you have your headphones on.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

Soothing Vapors posted:

While we're on the subject of pigmen and their quaint ways: if you guys have not done at least one torchless run in the warrens, I highly recommend it. Let the light die out naturally, don't snuff it. Make sure you have your headphones on.

This is really cool and I also recommend. I just wish the other areas had something like this. I guess they kinda do but they're not as great.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Artificer posted:

Man playing on a much older save is enough of a difference that, well, it might be worth just to start a new file in another slot. Gameplay is really different and that can affect your mid-end game and the end result is that one months old Week 30 save is going to be really different and feel really different to a new save that you've only recently played and arrived at Week 30.

What on earth are you talking about? An upgraded hamlet is an upgraded hamlet regardless of what part of the game's dev cycle it's from.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Wafflecopper posted:

What on earth are you talking about? An upgraded hamlet is an upgraded hamlet regardless of what part of the game's dev cycle it's from.

Yes, that's true. I mean that for instance, an older save file might have a bevy of experienced adventurers without locked-in quirks of any kind, which can be a useful advantage and not having had to deal with that might have affected other things. The core gameplay is probably unchanged.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My favorite discovery from last night's dungeoning: AoE DoTs like Hound's Harry do terrible, horrible, wonderful things to The Flesh. I think I had it taking 36 bleed damage per turn by the time it died. Next time I'm bringing a Plague Doctor, too.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

Artificer posted:

Yes, that's true. I mean that for instance, an older save file might have a bevy of experienced adventurers without locked-in quirks of any kind, which can be a useful advantage and not having had to deal with that might have affected other things. The core gameplay is probably unchanged.

The only real difference that comes with playing on a much older file is the trinkets. A lot of the older trinkets have either been changed by a lot, or aren't as impressive as they were since the gameplay did change significantly after the Cove and corpses dropped. Getting yourself up to speed can be difficult since you don't have the little additions that can mean a lot, and champion dungeons are tailored around the idea that you have certain kinds of common/uncommon trinkets to play with. But really, once you've picked up a couple of your ancestor's heirlooms or looted a few heads, you're back to fighting form. And yeah, you will have to spend quite a bit on locking in certain quirks, but I consider it a pretty acceptable trade off, since upgrading armor/weapons/skills was cheaper in earlier builds. At least, I remember them being cheap enough that I didn't have to really budget out upgrades the way I am now, as I train up newer classes and fill in ranks.

Incidentally, Grave Robber is quickly becoming one of my favorite heroes, and I'm so sad I never experimented enough with her before. She one-shot at least two dudes in every combat in the Cove, which is a hell of a lot more than I can say for the Arbalest or Highwayman. I didn't even need to pull her out of fourth rank. Granted, having rotated Eldritch Slayer in didn't hurt, but still a 20% chance to crit is phenomenal for both damage and stress healing.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

grave robber's damage is loving great. at times that even Crusader will falter with damage, the GR just mows down backrow fuckers and then melts everyone else with the poison darts. early last year she wasn't that incredible but steadily became so dependable in accuracy+damage, not to mention the outstanding cleanse+dodge potion. Only real downside is low HP, really; she's extremely self-sufficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

MinibarMatchman posted:

grave robber's damage is loving great. at times that even Crusader will falter with damage, the GR just mows down backrow fuckers and then melts everyone else with the poison darts. early last year she wasn't that incredible but steadily became so dependable in accuracy+damage, not to mention the outstanding cleanse+dodge potion. Only real downside is low HP, really; she's extremely self-sufficient.

Yeah I preferentally run her over a highwayman because missing attacks really hurts. The highwayman must have eaten several nerfs because I don't remember him being as bad when compared to the game in EA.