Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
Thankyou everyone for switching to links! I didn't really expect it to turn into a derail but I really appreciate the effort, and I'm glad it wound up making things better for more than just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
In a strong stance that places her at odds with Labor colleagues, Tanya Plibersek has called for children to be released from Nauru and mainland detention centres as soon as possible.

Look at this here leadership posturing lads.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
As soon as possible = Upon their death.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Because Australia is not a racist nation:

Non-white people discriminated against in Sydney rental market, study finds

quote:

Non-white house hunters are being discriminated against in the rental market and face more barriers to securing a lease than Caucasians, according to Australian research.

A study by a group of Sydney academics sent testers of the same age and sex to more than 350 inspections in the Sydney housing market and found that Indian and Middle Eastern people were disadvantaged by most measures compared with people of Caucasian appearance.

Members of ethnic minorities are less likely to be offered individual appointments to view properties and be told important information such as deadlines for rental applications.

Agents favoured white renters by telling them but not ethnic minorities about other housing in 26.8% of cases. Only 7% of ethnic renters received this preferential treatment.

Agents also gave preferential treatment to white people by giving further information about applications (by a difference of 16.2%), having “off script” discussions with them (by a difference of 12.8%) and asking them about their housing needs (by 10%).

Extra information benefiting white testers included the deadline for an application or existence of slightly cheaper housing nearby, said a coauthor of the study, Prof Heather MacDonald.

Indian and Muslim Middle Eastern testers were more likely to be told all renters must sign the lease (rather than just one renter), with 16.3% “favoured” by this metric compared with 1.9% of white people. According to MacDonald, this metric represented “a bit of a barrier” as it added to the list of hoops a renter needed to jump through to secure a lease.

Agents were more likely to take ethnic testers’ details (by a difference of 7.4%) and initiate a discussion with them (by 6.1%) but favoured white people by contacting them after inspections by a difference of 6.5%.

MacDonald said that, despite the unfavourable treatment, ethnic testers reported agents were “warm and friendly” to them and it was “very unclear to any of them that they’d been discriminated against”.

“It’s hard to determine how your experience is different from others, so if the system relies on complaints of discrimination you’re going to underestimate how often it happens,” she said.

The president of the Real Estate Institute of NSW, John Cunningham, said it was “taking the report seriously” because it had a “reasonably good sample group [from which] to draw conclusions”.

Cunningham said it was clear there could be more training on racial discrimination but it was a matter for the regulator, NSW Fair Trading, to improve the compliance and regulatory framework. Mandatory training to gain and hold a real estate licence did not cover compliance with discrimination law, he said.

“When you get reports like this, they’re good alarm bell ringers,” he said.

The NSW Residential Tenancies Act and regulations do not deal with discrimination but NSW and federal anti-discrimination laws make it unlawful for a landlord or agent to discriminate by providing an inferior service based on grounds including race. NSW Fair Trading refers people who believe they have been discriminated against to the NSW Anti-Discrimination Board.

In August 2015 NSW Fair Trading signed a memorandum of understanding with the NSW Anti-Discrimination Board for the agencies to conduct joint trader education visits and inspections focusing on discrimination issues. The two agencies will also identify “potential problem traders”.

Felicity Huntington from the NSW Anti-Discrimination Board said it was difficult to know the extent of discrimination because people were reluctant to lodge a formal complaint.

Huntington said the Anti-Discrimination Board did explain discrimination law to agents as part of continuing professional development delivered by NSW Fair Trading.

“I hope ... since we’ve got the MOU signed we can make some changes to hopefully get real estate agents to do the right thing and not just judge people by appearances or by their names and write them off,” Huntington said.

A paper on the study, Rental Discrimination in the Multi-Ethnic Metropolis: Evidence from Sydney, will be published in academic journal Urban Policy and Research.

Guardian Australia has contacted NSW Fair Trading for comment.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Real estate agents are subhuman garbage

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Housing should be owned and distributed by the state. Housing is a necessity, not a commodity.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Also why is the Turdball trying to Americanize Tafe.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

turdbucket posted:

SAGreens are bad IMHO.

A bit of a late response but I wonder what makes you say this?

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.

Anidav posted:

Also why is the Turdball trying to Americanize Tafe.

We're already there, considering the wrecking ball the gov't has been putting through TAFE for years.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

WTF you doing birbs? Trying to prove that if white people post bomb instructions on the 'net they don't get busted for it?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

WTF you doing birbs? Trying to prove that if white people post bomb instructions on the 'net they don't get busted for it?

In a nutshell, yes. There was also a chunk of 'this is bad even by auspol standards' too.

pavel_naked.jpg

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

BCR posted:

The End of TAFE as we know it

Link

by the way huge thanks for linking this, I've already written a media release and I'm going to try to light a fire under Simms about it. Wouldn't have seen it till much later, otherwise.

Decayed
Dec 30, 2004

Shang-a-lang
Fun Shoe

Of all the things to attack the government about to swing voters..

They may have hosed over the poor, the asylum seekers, the young... but those fuckers are after my smashed avo and vegemite

*votes green*

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Decayed posted:

Of all the things to attack the government about to swing voters..

They may have hosed over the poor, the asylum seekers, the young... but those fuckers are after my smashed avo and vegemite

*votes green*

Sums up the australian "left" nicely i reckon.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Quantum Mechanic posted:

by the way huge thanks for linking this, I've already written a media release and I'm going to try to light a fire under Simms about it. Wouldn't have seen it till much later, otherwise.

Too easy, you're NSW greens?

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Huge shitlords Marriage Alliance just launched a new ad campaign that will no doubt resonate deeply with Australians:

Follow this tortured logic if you can: Gay marriage leads to "politically correct" "bullying" in the workplace.

So uh. I... it's kind of difficult to actually respond coherently to that really. So I'll hand over to Equal Marriage Rights Australia:

Equal Marriage Rights Australia posted:

While this is clearly a disgusting metaphor from Marriage Alliance, it's not nearly as bad as the group themselves. This secretive collection of LNP ex-candidates, ex-LNP presidents, LNP staffers, LNP-associated advertising agencies and rich children of ex-LNP politicians throw out misleading TV ads aimed specifically at demeaning LGBTI families, programming them during children's TV hours where our children see them. They appear as 'regional representatives' at international conferences with US-based hate groups, while those same groups work with governments developing policies to charge and jail LGBTI people worldwide. We're not the ones holding a noose.

http://www.facebook.com/GMRA1/photos/a.10150171680425516.350414.91345705515/10153786430895516/?type=3&theater

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Where's that picture of Hitler going "All I wanted to do was kill all the Jews. I guess you have a lot of growing up to do" because that's literally their argument.

Won't someone think of the bigots :ohdear:

Edit: here we go:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

"Centrelink contracted investigators have also nabbed $1.7 million in fraud by scanning the eBay online auction accounts of welfare recipients who were selling off assets without declaring the sale price as income."

Lmao, what the gently caress.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The term "optical surveillance" was used to describe tailing people under suspicion of fraudulent activity, such as child support avoidance or income minimisation.
Private investigators said they were restricted to observing people in public places for what was termed "optical surveillance".
It is understood that social media surveillance would follow the same restrictions, with investigators scanning publicly available profiles only, without judicial warrants.

Great now poors have to worry about being stalked by Newstart Gestapo.

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Anyone with a The Australian subscription able to copy this past the pay wall? http://www.theaustralian.com.au/higher-education/racial-stoush-erupts-over-qut-computer-lab/news-story/b80de339339f2d5588839ac06f3c8909

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

A woman employed in a top Queensland university’s indigenous unit is seeking almost $250,000 in damages from jobless students, academics and others in a new legal challenge relying on Australia’s racial discrimination laws.

Cindy Prior accuses three staff at the Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane — professor­s Anita Lee Hong and Sharon Hayes, and equity director Mary Kelly — and five students in a racial vilification case that is set to reignite tensions over the law’s section 18C.

Tony Abbott, as opposition leader, pledged to repeal the controversial section, which has been slammed by critics as an assault on freedom of speech, but he broke the pledge after becoming prime minister. The section, which makes it unlawful to “offend, insult­, humiliate or intimidate” another­ person or group of people because of their race, colour or ethnic origin, was used in 2011 to find that conservative News Corp commentator Andrew Bolt had breached the law.

Ms Prior, who did not return The Australian’s call yesterday, was an administration officer in the Oodgeroo Unit at QUT’s Gardens­ Point campus, near state parliament. She claims she has suffered­ “offence, embarrassment, humiliation and psychiatric injury­”, as well as ongoing fear for her safety, because of the actions and comments of the students, staffers and university.

The case was triggered after three students, who wandered into the university’s computer lab at the Oodgeroo Unit in May 2013 looking for a place to use a computer, were asked by Ms Prior “whether they were indigenous”.

In legal documents filed in the Federal Circuit Court, Ms Prior says she told the three they were in “an indigenous space for Aborig­inal and Torres Strait students” and that there were other places they could use computers.

Ms Prior, a Noongar woman from the Ballardong nation in Western Australia, said: “The three men told (me) that they were not indig­enous.”

She asked the students to leave the unit and they went away. An hour later a Facebook page, called ‘QUT Stalker Space’, featured a post from one of the students, Alex Wood: “Just got kicked out of the unsigned indigenous computer room. QUT (is) stopping segregation with segregation.”

There were no signs warning visitors that the Oodgeroo Unit at QUT was off-limits to non-indig­enous students. It is understood that the university has expressly rejected the suggestion it condones racial segregation.

Another student, Jackson Powell, wrote on the Facebook page: “I wonder where the white supremacist computer lab is.”

Another post — “ITT niggers” — was attributed to another stud­ent, Calum Thwaites, who has emphatically denied that he had anything to do with the post.

The students, along with two others, Chris Lee and Kyran Findlater, are now accused of racial vilification in Ms Prior’s 18C legal challenge, which is being run by Brisbane solicitor Susan Mori­arty. Only one of the Facebook posts — “ITT niggers” — is regarde­d as obviously pejorative.

But Dr Hayes, a QUT lecturer, is accused in the legal action­ of having stated at the time that “it seems a bit silly” to kick someone out of an indigenous computer lab for not being indig­enous when there are computers not being used. She had suggested that Ms Prior may have been in breach of QUT policy by asking students who visited the Oodgeroo Unit whether they were indigenous. Ms Prior said she felt “sick, furious and distraught” after the comments of Dr Hayes.

Ms Prior’s action cites Kyran Findlater as having written on the Facebook page: “My Student and Amenity fees are going to furbish rooms in the university where inequality reigns supreme? I believe if we have to pay to support these sorts of places, there should at least be more created for general purpose use, but again, how do these sorts of facilities support interaction­ and community within QUT? All this does is encourage separation and inequality.”

Ms Prior said she went home sick and feeling very stressed on May 29, 2013, as she did not feel safe and was worried about verbal or physical attack.

The university’s equity director, Ms Kelly, who reviewed the matter soon afterwards, removed some of the Facebook posts, and told Ms Prior that three students had taken down the material.

She told her that Dr Hayes had agreed to make no further comment­ about it, while top-level meetings of the vice-chancellor and deputy vice-chancellor resolved­ to put strategies in place, remind students of the code of conduct, and support Ms Prior’s return to work with the help of the university’s rehabilitation and wellness manager.

However, Ms Prior advised that she was complaining to the Australian Human Rights Commission. In a subsequent meeting, Ms Kelly told Ms Prior: “With the small amount of contact I’ve had with the students, it is clear that these students aren’t racist.

“They were just being nasty. There is no white supremacy group at QUT. Check out what racial vilification is before you jump in. They’re not going to come into your office with a baseball bat.”

Seven staff went to an August 1, 2013, meeting with Ms Prior to encourage her to return to work, but her request for a daily security guard patrol was refused. She was then offered a role in a campus on the northside of Brisbane, but rejected it due to the travel and became “unfit for work”.

Her legal challenge claims the Facebook posts were “reasonably likely to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate her” and other Aborigina­l and Torres Strait Islande­r people, and contravened section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act.

Her claim for $247,570.52 includes­ lost wages from May 29, 2013, to September 6 last year.

Mr Powell, 22, the student who posted “I wonder where the white supremacist computer lab is”, swore in an affidavit yesterday: “I detest any form of racial discrim­ination. As an Australian and a university student, I was appalled to learn that racial segregation was being practised on the campus of my university.

“Of course, I have no objection to people of the same ethnicity being provided with a place where they can meet and discuss issues of common concern.

“To my mind, however, it is a very different matter when education­al facilities, such as a computer lab provided by the university, are barred to all students except those of a particular race or ethnicity.”

Mr Powell, who studied for a degree in interactive entertainment and is preparing to go to South Korea to seek work, said he did not know any of the other students­ accused by Ms Prior in the legal case.

He said he used a reference to “white supremacists’’ because he was picking on “the most obnoxio­us group of people I could think of, firmly believing that nobody­ could seriously imagine QUT ever providing facilities exclusiv­ely for the use of such persons, but also with the intention that readers of my message would be rightly horrified by the very idea of preferential treatment for white supremacists.

“I now appreciate that what was intended by me as a humorous or lighthearted rhetorical device could potentially be regarded as distasteful by some people. For that, I am very sorry.”

Mr Powell said he did not believe that anyone reading the messages in context could find them “offensive, insulting, humil­iating or intimidating”. “What I objected to was the fact of racial or ethnic discrimination, not the particular ‘race, colour or national or ethnic origin’ of the students who benefit from it,’’ he said.

Mr Powell said he would have reacted the same way if the QUT had set up a “James Joyce Unit’’, providing facilities exclusively for the benefit of Irish students interested in the Irish novelist and poet.

The Human Rights Commission determined in August last year that there was “no reasonable prospect of the matter being settled by conciliation”, resulting in it being filed in the Federal Circuit Court.

A legal reply from Mr Powell’s lawyer, Tony Morris QC, alleges that Ms Prior had breached the Discrimination Act herself by not permitting fee-paying students to use the computers on the basis of their ethnicity. “(Ms) Prior conceived it to be part of the duties of her employment, and took it upon herself, to police and enforce the discriminatory constraint,’’ the legal reply states.

QUT vice-chancellor Peter Coaldrake said yesterday: “QUT takes these sorts of things and all of our obligations very seriously, and very regrettably in this case the matter is in the courts.’’

The Australian has sought comment from Ms Kelly, Professor Lee Hong, Dr Hayes, several­ of the students, Ms Prior and her solicitor.

None returned calls or emails.

But Bolt said yesterday: “The more we divide ourselves by race, the more we will see this kind of battle and these attempts to restric­t free speech.”

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

"Centrelink contracted investigators have also nabbed $1.7 million in fraud by scanning the eBay online auction accounts of welfare recipients who were selling off assets without declaring the sale price as income."

Lmao, what the gently caress.

Given the millions of dollars of fraud these investigators are worth. I wonder how many private investigators are performing detective work on tax avoiding multinationals. There must be a whole army of them if a couple million is worth this much investment!

"The Australian Taxation Office has cut 4400 jobs in the past 19 months with one staff member telling a Senate hearing many of them were "our go-to" people.
On Thursday, the Community and Public Sector Union told the hearing into corporate tax avoidance Australia's tax collection would be hurt by the workforce reduction"
Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/nat...l#ixzz3z7GJuxVJ

Oh...

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Almost 600 of the largest companies operating in Australia did not pay income tax in the 2013 to 2014 financial year, ATO figures show.

tfa posted:

Embattled car manufacturer Volkswagen made almost $2 billion in 2013-14. But, its taxable income was $35 million and it only paid $10 million.

Instead of paying someone to find this $1.7M from welfare fraud how about we collect the $590M in tax that just Volkswagen skipped out on. I'm not a math wizard but I think 590M from one company is more money than 1.7M from all welfare frauds.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/kKTTsLq.jpg :nws:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

SadisTech posted:

Pavel pics only make me uncomfortable because I know that there is no potential universe where I will ever look as good as him

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/would-last-person-sydney-please-turn-lights-out-matt-barrie

Look, there's a libertaridiot bent to all of this, but until now I had no idea about most of this poo poo. NSW is hosed, god squad's in charge now.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

BCR posted:

Too easy, you're NSW greens?

Yup, and in a position of some influence re: TAFE campaigning.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Yup, and in a position of some influence re: TAFE campaigning.

QM you should read that article dawg

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
TAFE gonna be so agile.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

If the Government was truly interested in your safety and not purely on a moralistic crusade
Well there's your problem.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I think Australia is actually doomed. Like at least America became scared shitless of McCain and Mittens after seeing what years of GWB and neo conservatism did to working families.

Whereas in Australia we doubled down with Howard and Abbott and some people even believe the GFC is Leftist Fiction.

It's all completely nonsensical.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Oh Australia is deeply in the shitter at this point.

With the Centerlink facebook fraud detection it will be interesting what happens if and when the cases go before the courts because unless Centerlink has other sources of information it ascribes a legal status to setting a facebook status. What if I did it for the lols? What if I set up a dummy facebook account with the correct names of other people and then doxxed someone? It's a very deep dark hole.

That QUT Arsetralian beat up? Has very strong resonances of the kerfuffle that having wymen's rooms on campuses in the nineties provoked. :qq: But why am I excluded just because I'm a man!? Now we see who the real sexists are! :qq: Most people can see beyond this level of stupidity before they leave primary school.

The high court judge who desented in the "Let's rape kiddies on Nauru" case was a woman! That's why you can't let them into positions of authority! When the going gets tough they buckle to their hormones and crumble when men stay hard. Lucky there were some clear thinking men around to keep things on the straight and narrow.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Cartoon posted:

The high court judge who desented in the "Let's rape kiddies on Nauru" case was a woman! That's why you can't let them into positions of authority! When the going gets tough they buckle to their hormones and crumble when men stay hard. Lucky there were some clear thinking men and women around to keep things on the straight and narrow.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Yeah look those 3 morons were probably trying to cause some kind of thing, Level 5 of Y block is loving out of the way when compared to the library computers or the other computer labs on that campus.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Also I'll be at the Brisbane protest tomorrow, for anyone interested

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Recoome posted:

Also I'll be at the Brisbane protest tomorrow, for anyone interested

Tomorrow as in Friday? What time are they?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Ket posted:

Tomorrow as in Friday? What time are they?

Varies depending on the location, the Brisbane one is at 12pm at the Department of Immigration and Citizenship on Adelaide St. If you Facebook search The Greens it's one of the posts which has facebook events for each major city

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The CSIRO might be getting cut but at least we can rely on the private sector to answer the important questions.‎

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/beauty/scientists-have-discovered-what-causes-resting-bitch-face-20160203-gml6em.html

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I was aware of that but in my entirely disingenuous fake posting didn't feel a need to conform to any standards of journalistic integrity. Seeing as you have made it an issue allow me to recast my post.

Cartoon posted:

The high court judge who desented in the "Let's rape kiddies on Nauru" case was a woman! That's why you can't let them into positions of authority! When the going gets tough they buckle to their hormones and crumble when men stay hard. Lucky there were some clear thinking men around to keep things on the straight and narrow. At least the other two women on the panel did what they were told, or maybe they were just confused and hormonal? Really makes you think about what a crap shoot having them there in the first place is!
Better?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

open24hours posted:

The CSIRO might be getting cut but at least we can rely on the private sector to answer the important questions.‎

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/beauty/scientists-have-discovered-what-causes-resting-bitch-face-20160203-gml6em.html

Is the answer 'dickhead journalists'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

AgentF posted:

A bit of a late response but I wonder what makes you say this?

your mps, Simms seems to be allergic to the idea of free education which is actually Greens policy, but something he'd rather not draw attention too. How does SHY even win preselection there?

• Locked thread