Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Fans posted:

I thought it was going to work like in Planetside 1. You can't hack a vechicle someone is occupying, just when they get out to repair.

You could totally hack vehicles that had people in them in PS1, it just required the highest level hacking cert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Lassitude posted:

Checking the back of my vehicle every 5 seconds is really fun to do so I also will never lose a vehicle to an infil.

Similarly squinting at the road and driving slowly is also really cool and awesome so I never lose vehicles to mines either.

The problem you're having is that the game is meant to be a team game, where you watch one anothers backs (two MBTs == 4 people), and while moving, have travellers Q'ing the road ahead for mines. Meanwhile you sound like you want to play entirely alone, which isn't a style suited to big rolling boxes of armor.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Cabbit posted:

You could totally hack vehicles that had people in them in PS1, it just required the highest level hacking cert.

Yep you had to listen to the soft sound of the tool, sounded like a sci fi scanning tool, or face being ejected much like the current base turrets.

Basically if you got hacked out you weren't paying attention/were mindlessly shelling. So cue the TR salt.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Chance posted:

Yep you had to listen to the soft sound of the tool, sounded like a sci fi scanning tool, or face being ejected much like the current base turrets.

Basically if you got hacked out you weren't paying attention/were mindlessly shelling. So cue the TR salt.

One of my most enduring memories of PS1 is an infiltrator duel I had over the course of like 15 minutes in a tower on Searhus that was entirely sound-based. Just tracking the sound of footsteps and pistols being drawn, creeping around trying to bump into the other guy or echo-locate him before he pinned me down. I was NC, so I had a Mag-Scatter and knew that I lived or died on landing the first shot.

It was tense as gently caress and owned and PS2 is in no way even remotely designed to recreate those circumstance.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

You won't even need to look around or move, just hit 3rd person in between shots. As an infil main I'm kind of looking forward to it for the 1 time in 100 it works against that pro Vanguard pair that have been somehow running amok for an hour, but at the same time I know it's mostly going to just be yet another "welcome to Planetside, scrub" thing that lets people be dicks to newer players.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Think about all that abandoned armor outside of like, the hexagoon or SNA.

Suddenly it's useful.

To me.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I started playing this a couple days ago after pissing around in open beta and never touching it again because of poor performance on my machine circa 2012, and barring the very first time I ever played an MMO PS2 is probably the quickest and most thoroughly a game has ever humbled me. There is definitely a method to the madness, but getting there is so, so difficult.

For instance: No! You cannot just peek outside the building and rez a dude outside the door real quick, not even for two seconds! There are two BMG infiltrators and five CARV HA's looking at that loving door! You ain't jesus, son! Stay inside and do your job! The obvious answer is rez grenades and grenade bandolier, but those won't be available until 400 certs of keeping your head low and taking what scraps of points come your way. No! You cannot win that fight against the HA with 1500 certs in his energy shield and 1750 certs in Nanoweave and a few hundred at least in shield recharge.

That's really my only enduring grievance with the game. Everything offers the promise of a lot of fun, but in order for most of the classes to activate Beast Mode you need to throw a thousand certs into each and a few hundred into each gun and I really don't have the time to grind to make my classes not suck, and grind to make the guns not suck, and grind to make the vehicles not suck, grind to get good vehicle and MAX weapons, etc. It's loads better with a squad/outfit, but that's not really a "good thing" so much as its "why i haven't uninstalled yet"

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Oh, I'm sure its come up some time in the last few years but: Gating dual burster MAXes behind 2000 certs is absolutely cripplingly P2W and a toxic concession to Air Bushido, thus concludes my essay.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Willie Tomg posted:

Oh, I'm sure its come up some time in the last few years but: Gating dual burster MAXes behind 2000 certs is absolutely cripplingly P2W and a toxic concession to Air Bushido, thus concludes my essay.

It's only 1000. You get one arm free. Unless you also want Ex-Mags and then yes it's 2000.

peep the tumblr
Jun 26, 2009

Fans posted:

Unless you also want Ex-Mags and then yes it's 2000.

Where there's no reason not to take them (due to no alternatives or downsides), which kinda sucks imo

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

I started playing this a couple days ago after pissing around in open beta and never touching it again because of poor performance on my machine circa 2012, and barring the very first time I ever played an MMO PS2 is probably the quickest and most thoroughly a game has ever humbled me. There is definitely a method to the madness, but getting there is so, so difficult.

For instance: No! You cannot just peek outside the building and rez a dude outside the door real quick, not even for two seconds! There are two BMG infiltrators and five CARV HA's looking at that loving door! You ain't jesus, son! Stay inside and do your job! The obvious answer is rez grenades and grenade bandolier, but those won't be available until 400 certs of keeping your head low and taking what scraps of points come your way. No! You cannot win that fight against the HA with 1500 certs in his energy shield and 1750 certs in Nanoweave and a few hundred at least in shield recharge.

That's really my only enduring grievance with the game. Everything offers the promise of a lot of fun, but in order for most of the classes to activate Beast Mode you need to throw a thousand certs into each and a few hundred into each gun and I really don't have the time to grind to make my classes not suck, and grind to make the guns not suck, and grind to make the vehicles not suck, grind to get good vehicle and MAX weapons, etc. It's loads better with a squad/outfit, but that's not really a "good thing" so much as its "why i haven't uninstalled yet"

You're right that poo poo like rez grenade spam, worthwhile anti-air options, and good vehicles are locked off behind certs. But I've restarted from scratch 5 times in Planetside 2 and never felt like I was worthless fodder without certs, just that the amount of roles I could play were quite limited. You aren't at an immense disadvantage during infantry combat. That guy who spent a million certs on full nanoweave is rarely going to run into situations where that allows him to take an extra bullet over your first few cheap ranks, and even fewer situations where taking an extra bullet would have mattered. Saying that you cannot win against that HA is silly. If you are also an HA and have better aim/get the drop on him as a brand new BR1, you will take him down 95% of the time.

If you're focusing on a single class, it shouldn't take -too- long to get it on the same playing field as everyone else. Most of the default guns are great, so you just need to slap a few weapon mods on yours. The final rank of most suit/ability slot stuff is pretty expensive, but in most cases it doesn't make a huge difference so you can skip it and start working on something else.

Rather than making bursters cheaper they should just remove all aircraft permanently though.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

Fal-Cone posted:

Where there's no reason not to take them (due to no alternatives or downsides), which kinda sucks imo

They should add an alternate option for them like extended barrels to reduce the cone of fire or something.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Vargs posted:

Saying that you cannot win against that HA is silly. If you are also an HA

remove HA from the game.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Two things.

For one, PS2 is a team game, you almost never are in a situation where it's only one-on-one fights. As such, comparing yourself on your own is pointless.

For the other: The devs hope and expect you to actually pay money. There's the subscription which gets you 48 certs per day (if you log in) and 1.5x the certs (plus a bunch of other things). Then most guns you can buy. The option to get everything via certs as well only exists so they increase their player count with people who have more time than money.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Willie Tomg posted:

Check the pgs thread. Join goku. Gun our blinged out fully certed tanks and planes. Buy a beacon at level 10 (hidden in the squad menu under leadership certs).

You'll be rolling in certs in no time.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

Willie Tomg posted:

There is definitely a method to the madness, but getting there is so, so difficult.

For instance:

Join an group to play with. This game is best when you have a group to help you out and show you how to have fun, how to get certs, how not to be bad, and if it's a real tryhard group you might even combine any of these three wu tang secrets and ascend to greatness.

Get to the PGS threads and join GOON :911: or GOKU :japan: (or both) and you have started down the path of the 36 chambers.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nookovian-Red
Sep 13, 2002
I WILL NOT CLOSE THREAD IN Serious Hardware / Software Crap

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

They should've sent a poet

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Epic High Five posted:

They should've sent Lynyrd Skynyrd

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I got into this game recently, and I've been having a loving blast playing as an engineer. It took me a while to really get that I should be laying down ammo on a frequent basis, and I feel like my first gun purchase was... well, perhaps not wasted, but probably not ideal (I got the NC-7 SMG and it's almost kitted out, although I think I should've gone for the laser instead of the grip). After reading the suggested stuff in the first few pages, I'm going to try medic for how quickly you can get certs, as I've been feeling a bit dry there lately.

As a rule, should you focus on improving all your gear first before moving onto upgrading vehicles, or should you mix and match, or does it matter overmuch and just grab whatever feels fun to play with in VR and upgrade when you can? I'm saving up for the Vanu's auto shotgun.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Leveling up the Engineering Repair Tool and Medic Tool should be a priority, after that its up to you.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Rorac posted:

I got into this game recently, and I've been having a loving blast playing as an engineer. It took me a while to really get that I should be laying down ammo on a frequent basis, and I feel like my first gun purchase was... well, perhaps not wasted, but probably not ideal (I got the NC-7 SMG and it's almost kitted out, although I think I should've gone for the laser instead of the grip). After reading the suggested stuff in the first few pages, I'm going to try medic for how quickly you can get certs, as I've been feeling a bit dry there lately.

As a rule, should you focus on improving all your gear first before moving onto upgrading vehicles, or should you mix and match, or does it matter overmuch and just grab whatever feels fun to play with in VR and upgrade when you can? I'm saving up for the Vanu's auto shotgun.

Engineer is a great choice too. Vehicles are expensive but fun is fun. There are only a few things where the maximum rank really makes them shine. Main ones are your heal tool and your ammo pack. Max ammo gives you two packs and the highest level cookie gets the certs when there are a bunch laying around.

If you want a vehicle that makes certs too upgrade your bus. The first rank of shields has the same HP as the last rank, it just takes longer to activate so one level there to get started. The stock guns are solid av and AA so put minimum certs into ammo and one rank of zoom and you have a very good deploy bus. Ammo dispenser only gains aoe with ranks and the tanks will come to you so one level there will be enough to follow armor columns and be their hero.

Stealth, blockaide, and repair busses are the ones that need the maximum rank. Max repair will heal all the turrets on those towers around amp stations if you can park it inside on the grav lifts. Pubbie can't stop shooting those turrets so amazing certs there. Max stealth is required for the invisibility. Blockaide... well more is more. Only worry about these if you really enjoy space trucking.

Rival combat is nice to drive but racer is the best if you want to put your bus where it doesn't belong.

Put the right bus in the right place and exp will roll in while you shoot nerds near by.

Also the pulsar c owns and you should buy it. It is the one true vs carbine. Acx11 is the better nc version, gently caress you nc.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
don't listen to honda's lies

the vx6-7 is the way the truth and the life. dakka dakka. avoid the serpent and the zenith cause lol.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

don't listen to honda's lies

the vx6-7 is the way the truth and the life. dakka dakka. avoid the serpent and the zenith cause lol.

The Zenith is so bad. It's literally a worse VX6-7 and one of my least favorite hipfire cannons to aurax (less RoF, no softpoints). The Serpent rules though because it's just a GD7-F with Vanu flare, and the RoF will tear through a shielded heavy so fast he won't know what the gently caress.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

sitchelin posted:

The Zenith is so bad. It's literally a worse VX6-7 and one of my least favorite hipfire cannons to aurax (less RoF, no softpoints). The Serpent rules though because it's just a GD7-F with Vanu flare, and the RoF will tear through a shielded heavy so fast he won't know what the gently caress.

why would you use the serpent when you could use the vx6-7, which is clearly the superior CQC carbine

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

why would you use the serpent when you could use the vx6-7, which is clearly the superior CQC carbine

The VX6-7 is dope af. I like the Serpent because it's one of the few non-shotguns that HAs can't lolshield against. The extra 45 rpm makes a big difference.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

The VX6-7 pulls crazy hard to the right when you shoot it, it's a beast to handle.

EDIT: Also the Mercenary is better than the ACX 11 and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Jabarto posted:

The VX6-7 pulls crazy hard to the right when you shoot it, it's a beast to handle.

EDIT: Also the Mercenary is better than the ACX 11 and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

Acx11 is the best gun in the game.

*raises fists*

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jabarto posted:

honda whisperer posted:

*raises fists*

*raises fist*

Nookovian-Red
Sep 13, 2002
I WILL NOT CLOSE THREAD IN Serious Hardware / Software Crap

http://imgur.com/a/Yiwbc (Album)

^^^ Looks like Faven's custom armor might be coming out soon.

Sauce: https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/4413km/infantry_armors_spotted_in_the_wild_beware_of_the/

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

honda whisperer posted:

*raises fists*

Epic High Five posted:

*raises fist*

Tross.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tross is definitely the best AR, but nothing can quite top the "Gauss SAW with carbine accuracy stats on a flying class and also it gets special variants of HVA/comp that halve the downsides and double the upsides" of the X11

I find myself waffling between the Tross and DMR depending on my mood, but there is only ever the X11 when I'm engie/LA

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I tend to roll with the Mercenary and Razor more than anything else on NC. Merc is so, so loving good.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Horizontal Tree posted:

I tend to roll with the Mercenary and Razor more than anything else on NC. Merc is so, so loving good.

Yeah this is the crux of it really. NC guns are just fantastic top to bottom. Playing my VS there's guns I enjoy and lots I'd rather switch classes or factions than use. On NC, I've got guns I love but can't think of more than 1 or 2 that's not fun. The old joke from around PU02 was that SOE could charge the VS $20+ for laser Mercs and Gauss Rifles and they'd make a killing

I like TR ones a lot but the lack of variety ends up killing it for me. The T1 is loving criminal

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Too much disposable income and my loving gun ADD means I have like every NC gun and zero auraxium medals. But hey, at least they're all good to great :911:

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Horizontal Tree posted:

Reminder 167/600 is the same class as 143/750 except 167/600 wins at head shots, so while the carv-s/LSW are 143/698 the EM6 is 167/600. Imagine a 150 round orion and think wow thats loving retarded and unbalanced, welcome to NC LMG selection.

TR/NC get some super loving OP guns but none of them compared to a .75 ADS HA, now VS no longer has .75 ADS but don't worry the game will die before that poo poo gets balanced.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
I feel a lot more useful when I'm in a squad vs. me being alone.

I just need to play with goons now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

noELrunes posted:

I feel a lot more useful when I'm in a squad vs. me being alone.

I just need to play with goons now.

Not if you want to be useful, no.

• Locked thread