Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, Sirius XM really should develop some sort of plugin that works with this game.

I gave a brief google yesterday for video plugins, but no dice. Wouldn't mind watching something while trucking.

Also, even though I don't have ATS yet... When's the Duel mod coming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Tonight, ATS taught me that Primm is a real place and not just some lovely shanty town in FONV. Thanks, SCS!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

kirbysuperstar posted:

Tonight, ATS taught me that Primm is a real place and not just some lovely shanty town in FONV. Thanks, SCS!

Yeah, I was kind of blown away when I found out that both Primm and Goodsprings (among others) are actually real. I was there (briefly)!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I hate this game.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I wish I took a picture but I loaded my save already once with my truck on an unfamilar street and upside down. Reloading fixed it, if anyone notices that small issue

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
So yeah, whenever I'd started up ATS I found I was getting a sort of CPU slowdown. Checked Steam and noticed it was trying to initiate a download and then stopping in a continual loop.

Funny thing is, this only happens in BPM since I'm trying to use my Steam Controller as a gyro steering wheel but I can't get the config to load (Different issue altogether)

Here's a lovely youtube clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZJmCQbz-aY

Edit: OKAY thats weird... apparently this ONLY happens when I have my Steam Controller on.

Robzilla fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 3, 2016

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

Robzilla posted:

So yeah, whenever I'd started up ATS I found I was getting a sort of CPU slowdown. Checked Steam and noticed it was trying to initiate a download and then stopping in a continual loop.

Funny thing is, this only happens in BPM since I'm trying to use my Steam Controller as a gyro steering wheel but I can't get the config to load (Different issue altogether)

Mine is also doing this but not in BPM.

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

AI drivers are too timid on the intersections. I was standing behind 5 cars on this large one turning left and only one of them got through each light cycle, even though easily 2-3 could do it. Then I ended up behind a van on a high speed T-intersection with no lights and the dumbass just wouldn't go, so I had to go off-road and exercise my god-given right to make that turn. I could've saved & loaded too I guess.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Fart Cannon posted:

Mine is also doing this but not in BPM.

Turn off your steam controller and try it

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

In America the people getting on the high way has to yield to traffic on it? And there are no lanes to accelerate or slow down? Going from a standstill to highway speed in a regular lane sounds like a terrible idea. Also you'll be fined when some rear end in a top hat rear ends you.

Hogo Fogo posted:

AI drivers are too timid on the intersections. I was standing behind 5 cars on this large one turning left and only one of them got through each light cycle, even though easily 2-3 could do it. Then I ended up behind a van on a high speed T-intersection with no lights and the dumbass just wouldn't go, so I had to go off-road and exercise my god-given right to make that turn. I could've saved & loaded too I guess.
The next minute someone is going to do a red light turn and t-bone your trailer.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Robzilla posted:

Edit: OKAY thats weird... apparently this ONLY happens when I have my Steam Controller on.

Sort of related: I'd really love it if you posted your experience with using the Steam controller with this game. Very interested in hearing about how it all works out.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Poil posted:

In America the people getting on the high way has to yield to traffic on it? And there are no lanes to accelerate or slow down? Going from a standstill to highway speed in a regular lane sounds like a terrible idea. Also you'll be fined when some rear end in a top hat rear ends you.

Do you really think the most likely reality is that this is true about the entire US and that this game is 100% accurate about that fact?

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Sort of related: I'd really love it if you posted your experience with using the Steam controller with this game. Very interested in hearing about how it all works out.

When I actually get to play I'll post.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Erwin posted:

Do you really think the most likely reality is that this is true about the entire US and that this game is 100% accurate about that fact?

Sounds about right based on where I live. If you're trying to get on the highway, gently caress you, I was here first. The best is when the entrance lane immediately turns into an exit lane so you have about five seconds to get up to the appropriate speed and find an opening to join the indifferent wall of highway traffic.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Robzilla posted:

This is a known bug, the Steam forums are full of people asking about it.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
I dunno how it is everywhere else, but in NYS you're supposed to get over to allow the flow of traffic from the onramp to be able to enter.

Keywords, SUPPOSED, TO.

The rear end Stooge posted:

This is a known bug, the Steam forums are full of people asking about it.
But why only ATS and not any other gave I've tried. I guess I'm just lucky I guess. =/

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Robzilla posted:

I dunno how it is everywhere else, but in NYS you're supposed to get over to allow the flow of traffic from the onramp to be able to enter.

Keywords, SUPPOSED, TO.

But why only ATS and not any other gave I've tried. I guess I'm just lucky I guess. =/

Yeah, and around here the ramps on and off are long enough that you can easily get up to appropriate speed.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Poil posted:

I think it depends on jurisdiction, I remember from driver's ed being taught first past the solid line in a 2 lane merge has right of way to prevent situations like onramp traffic coming to a stop and having nowhere to accelerate to to get back to highway speed. Just for simplicity of enforcement and arbitration, in a lot of places fault is usually ascribed to those further behind in the direction of travel except in cases of reckless operation (such as cutting off or 'brake checking') by the vehicle further ahead.

TS has always had somewhat stodgy yielding AI and its one of those cases where its maybe arguably realistic. Barreling over the shoulder until traffic permits is maybe vaguely illegal but sometimes what you can do.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Robzilla posted:

Keywords, SUPPOSED, TO.

I mean it's a known bug with American Truck Simulator.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Grey Fox posted:

USA has those, but in my region they appear to be more common in densely-populated areas. Those across-intersection lights are 100% crucial for driving in Washington, DC since you're often surrounded by trucks and can't see the light that's directly in front of you.

My point about America specifically (and also Europe) was the coloured turning arrows. In that picture you can see that the right lane has a red arrow. That lane can't turn until the arrow goes green. I thought this was a common thing but I haven't seen anything like it in either game

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hollenhammer posted:

My point about America specifically (and also Europe) was the coloured turning arrows. In that picture you can see that the right lane has a red arrow. That lane can't turn until the arrow goes green. I thought this was a common thing but I haven't seen anything like it in either game

They're common, just not in this simplified and compressed version of the world.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Is pro mods out yet?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Erwin posted:

I haven't the slightest idea. But there are yield signs when heading on the highway in game, those should be fairly accurate even if the driving AI isn't. :shrug:

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Robzilla posted:

Keywords, SUPPOSED, TO.

Are you sure, or just think so from long memory? Of the five states I've had to review the laws for, all of them require a merger to yield to the existing traffic, no extra caveats (like moving over a lane if there is room). Now if someone deliberately maneuvers themselves by speeding up or slowing down to block you, that is usually illegal. And there is a required distance between you and the next car which should allow a safe merger if you're going freeway speeds when you do the actual merge. There only thing I could find about NY law on the subject was when two highways merge together, not at an onramp.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Why are the brakes so sticky in this game? I guess ETS2 was the same way, but what I mean is if you are braking hard, and you let off the brakes at 20 or 30 mph, you are coming to a complete stop no matter what.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Inertia? Make sure you shift down and accelerate after braking? :confused:

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Tippis posted:

They're common, just not in this simplified and compressed version of the world.

Fair enough

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

jerkstore77 posted:

Is pro mods out yet?

dude the game has been out for one day

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

sandoz posted:

Why are the brakes so sticky in this game? I guess ETS2 was the same way, but what I mean is if you are braking hard, and you let off the brakes at 20 or 30 mph, you are coming to a complete stop no matter what.
Isn't there a setting for break stickiness?

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Could also just be a simulation of the air brakes. Don't air brakes have a short lag time between pushing the pedal and the brakes actually applying?

I'd assume it's the same in reverse.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
The only problem I have is that when you look around, the camera won't automatically snap back like every other vehicle game.

Also, with the steam controller, I've found that the trigger buttons aren't as sensitive as the Xbox 360 ones, so I haven't made the switch yet.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

HardDisk posted:

Inertia? Make sure you shift down and accelerate after braking? :confused:

Really?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I feel like I must be doing something wrong with the performance. I've got a GTX 970 that hasn't had any other issues.

With directx presets
Low = 60 fps
Medium = 30-40 fps
High = 20-30 fps
Ultra = 15- mid 20s fps

Running in OpenGL it doesn't look as good, but it's more like 45-60 on ultra.

I get the impression I should be getting better directx fps, but I haven't been able to find anything useful online. :smith:

EDIT: Also, it makes me suspicious that running at 400% on ultra is only a few FPS less then 100% on ultra. :raise:

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 3, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Weird, my 970 works fine, constant 60 maxed settings.

Dream mods:

Weather changes based on region/state. Here in The Great Plains we have lots of amazing storms. Apparently it's less so in California.

Radios that can be area based. I like having to search for a new station after getting out of range because I'm a horrible sperg.

The GPS being able to read the metadata from the internet radio station and tell me what I'm listening to. Real radios do this now.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

nessin posted:

Are you sure, or just think so from long memory? Of the five states I've had to review the laws for, all of them require a merger to yield to the existing traffic, no extra caveats (like moving over a lane if there is room). Now if someone deliberately maneuvers themselves by speeding up or slowing down to block you, that is usually illegal. And there is a required distance between you and the next car which should allow a safe merger if you're going freeway speeds when you do the actual merge. There only thing I could find about NY law on the subject was when two highways merge together, not at an onramp.
Not speaking to NYS specifically, but its possibly a de facto by enforcement thing. For some reason I remember stopping at highway on ramp merges being a hot button topic enough where I grew up that they eventually got on the news and said stop doing that idiots. In recent years, several jurisdictions have been pushing zipper merges during times of congestion, which necessarily operate on a first past principle.

Some of the higher profile google hits show that traffic law is a loving mess and the handbook will usually say don't stop at the merge because its more dangerous, while the letter of the law assigns right of way to the highway traffic.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Fintilgin posted:

I feel like I must be doing something wrong with the performance. I've got a GTX 970 that hasn't had any other issues.

With directx presets
Low = 60 fps
Medium = 30-40 fps
High = 20-30 fps
Ultra = 15- mid 20s fps

Running in OpenGL it doesn't look as good, but it's more like 45-60 on ultra.

I get the impression I should be getting better directx fps, but I haven't been able to find anything useful online. :smith:

EDIT: Also, it makes me suspicious that running at 400% on ultra is only a few FPS less then 100% on ultra. :raise:

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Yeah, there's definitely something screwed up with those numbers. That's about equal to (or worse than) what I get with my 760 — a 970 should do a whole lot better. If it's not driver or card-specific, you'll have a fun time hunting that one down.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Tippis posted:

Yeah, there's definitely something screwed up with those numbers. That's about equal to (or worse than) what I get with my 760 — a 970 should do a whole lot better. If it's not driver or card-specific, you'll have a fun time hunting that one down.

I'm on a 660GTX from 2011 and everything in mint maxed out. Curious

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Well, something is hosed up. Reflection quality has a big impact and acts... really weird.

If I drive out and park in the middle of the road with low reflection quality teens to 20s fps just sitting there.

Toggle reflection quality to medium. 70-90 fps as long as I'm just sitting there not moving.

The moment I hit the gas and start driving fps goes (almost instantly) back down to 20 or so.

Park the truck, toggle reflections up or down a notch, back to 70-90 fps (100+ if I lean out the window and look back). Hit the gas... roll forward a couple yards and BAM back down to 18-24fps.

The only thing I can think of is asset streaming from the hard drive. But I don't hear it chugging or anything weird.

:raise:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Here in Pennsylvania you have the added fun of people coming to the end of an on ramp and rather than being up to highway speed, they come to a complete stop. I mean, yes, our state is dumb enough to put stop signs at the end of an on ramp during construction work but gently caress people who stop on every on ramp. I'm trying to merge properly.

Also, here in PA, we don't have guard rails we have "guide rails."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Dream mods:

Weather changes based on region/state. Here in The Great Plains we have lots of amazing storms. Apparently it's less so in California.

Radios that can be area based. I like having to search for a new station after getting out of range because I'm a horrible sperg.

The GPS being able to read the metadata from the internet radio station and tell me what I'm listening to. Real radios do this now.

Weather Mod California: Smog and Brushfire