Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

You probably want to update the buying advice for the post pistol rounds with the hefty advice of don't force up unless everyone agrees to it and always get something with armor penetration if you win pistol because they are going to force up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

symbolic posted:

In the path to bettering myself at this game, I spent 2 or so hours loving around in offline Mirage and Inferno learning mollies, smokes, and pop flashes from a guide, and wow, I am an idiot for not doing this sooner. I knew two smokes for b site Inferno but that was nothing. I also discovered a better way to smoke Inferno spools area than the guide described, so yay?

The guide had me doing something like this:

Good for smoking off construction, I suppose, but hardly anything to do with spools. So I screwed around for a bit and found that I could also do this:

Now that's more like it. No visibility from spools and limited visibility for most of construction. I feel like a genius. Also, consider this my entry for crosshair judging.

I was trying to take B yesterday as the last man standing in my team and I threw this exact same smoke, timed perfectly so that it landed just after I finished throwing my flashbangs and walked out into the site. Then I had a lag spike and got killed by a guy from oranges the moment I checked those.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Goofballs posted:

You probably want to update the buying advice for the post pistol rounds with the hefty advice of don't force up unless everyone agrees to it and always get something with armor penetration if you win pistol because they are going to force up

Yeah, CTs should buy SMG/pistol + armor 2nd round after pistol loss, as regardless of their buying decisions, they can still buy 4th round. Exception is if you want to AWP 4th round.

T's should never buy second round - if they got a bomb down then they can buy 3rd round, if they didn't, they should be saying and playing for a bomb plant

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

T's should never buy second round - if they got a bomb down then they can buy 3rd round, if they didn't, they should be saying and playing for a bomb plant

I think it depends on the map. There are some, like Mirage, where you have a reasonable chance of getting a round two bomb plant with just the Glocks, but it'd take a lot of luck on, say, Dust II or Overpass. In those cases, I'd rather buy up and hope for the best, Tec-9s are baller anyway.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Yeah, CTs should buy SMG/pistol + armor 2nd round after pistol loss, as regardless of their buying decisions, they can still buy 4th round. Exception is if you want to AWP 4th round.

Actually no plant usually means forcing on the 2nd round on the off chance you actually win and gently caress up the CT economy bigtime. Basically, the only time you should be saving after losing the pistol is if you got the plant in the pistol round but still lost. Infact, until you've lost 2 rounds in a row, you should probably be forcing.

qhat fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 3, 2016

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Necc0 posted:

new OP this weekend. tell me what to put in / take out / change / kill yourself / get gud

use a thread title without a dad joke

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - state your rank and sensitivity when posting here

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

i dont think that there needs to be a hard and fast buying guide -- all buying should just be coordinated with your team unless you are supremely confident in your skill or the lack of skill of the other team.

you can get away with 2nd round bomb plant loss armor smg buy on t-side pretty easily.
you can buy a rifle 2nd round on either side if you suspect a force.
tec-9/five-seven armor on either side loss is viable especially at close range since both can 1 shot through a helmet (unlike smgs and eco rifles like the famas/galil)

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

It happens way more than it should though because people will buy the shittiest smg they can to rake in the money, minimal grenades because they have to save right? and then rush crazy because they want the kills. Then the cts have five-sevens and full body armor and they get destroyed.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - Sensitivity sensitivity Sensitivity sensitivity sensitivity sensitivity Sensitivity sensitivity

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 3, 2016

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
A game for sensitive souls

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - Methadone for MOBA players.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I think this grenade site should be added to the OP - http://www.thewarmup.net/

Along with some of the Steel & WarOwl, 3kliks or what ever videos for basics. Holding angels, how to shoot etc. Additionally, we should probably stop telling people to join the chat to try and get to goonman/join up with people and just post their steam profile @ rank once they achieve it.

On a side note. Blue Man, BeRandom, Schlurps, Jabba the Hut and myself clean house last night on 2 matches. 1st match we got the other team to surrender and the 2nd match everyone left except for 1 guy by the time the match ended. I kind of felt bad for that last guy. Schlurps was pissing him off with his auto script taunt message thing.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Mwup- primary
Mwdown- secondary
2-knife
Mwmiddle-jump
Mouse5- walk
Mouse6-grenade toggle
Mouse7- crouch

Edit: x makes the other team tilt apparently?

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 3, 2016

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

counter-mans: globo offended - uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh team????

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Interesting image came up on reddit today, seems to check out

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

sterster posted:

I think this grenade site should be added to the OP - http://www.thewarmup.net/

this is awesome, thanks

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Did some buying stuff. It has no formatting, maybe somebody can make it pretty. Didn't include 3rd round because there are too many permutations to really give a gently caress.

Pistol Round

CT:

- Pro-team player: Nade, Flash, Smoke, or as a bitch, kit and smoke.

USP is a one shot kill to no helmet and is better than a glock. Nade utility or survivability is preferable to upgrading your pistol. Especially if you are playing as 5, or with some mates.

These days kits are less useful, but probably still worth it to have one. Good luck finding somebody on MM to do that.

- Standard: Kevlar

The best way to play with the USP is from far long range. With kevlar it takes around 10 body shots to kill you, and vitally for the USP, mitigates aim punch, giving you the time to hit that one-tap.

- Help I can’t hit headshots??: P250, Smoke, Flash

P250 decent armor pen unlike the USP, meaning you can dick shot incoming rushing glocks to your heart’s content.

Deagle and dualies is mostly trolling. 5-7 is a marginal, probably redundant and worse than having another nade, but maybe in the right position better.

T:

- Standard: Kevlar

Your glock is a pile of poo poo at taking aim duels. Your mission is to soak up bullets and overwhelm enemies without getting one to the dome. I buy something other than kevlar literally never unless I am playing with five and there is a set pistol strat that needs nades.

- Bonus Raidboss: Kevlar, dropped Tec-9

Got a good player on your team who owns bones? Drop them a Tec-9 (or get one dropped for you). Combined with kevlar, the running accuracy makes the Tec and kevlar a disgusting combo. This person spearheads your rush usually by jumping and headshotting the CT’s and making GBS threads over game balance.

Person who drops Tec gets a smoke or flash.

- Weird idiot with need to be different: Tec-9, smoke

Maybe the best of the rest. Kevlar is just so important that it is hardly worth it.

CT

Win Pistol Round

Did T’s plant the bomb?

Yes: Mix of decent SMGs and FAMAS and nades.

You may want to spend more on premium weapons because it is likely the Ts will pick up AKs next round or even force that round. Keeping these weapons makes it more competitive and saves you money compared to buying an MP9 then buying an M4 the next round.

No: Probably more efficient to pick up only SMGs.

To farm cash for your economy, you want as many SMG kills as possible. Also it is important to bear in mind that if you buy a premium rifle, losing it into T hands can dismantle your round. Losing an SMG is not nearly such a disaster. SMGs lower your risk of throwing the round away.

Lose Pistol Round

Map dependent. On a heavily CT biased map, it is almost always better to force up. Helmet + P250 or 5/7 + Flash, depending on whether you scored a kill. A scout if you have the position for it.

On a balanced map, it depends on your confidence. If you think you are better than your opponent, by all means. If you think they are better or it is close, it is probably worth it to save for a full buy on the 4th round. Naked P250 is fine

T:

Win Pistol Round

Bomb down or not doesn’t really matter.

- SMGs of any kind. Don’t force the issue with an AK. Galil is “ok”.

Personally I believe buying a rifle is unnecessary and can give away your round if you happen to die to a pistol. A CT with a galil and helmet vs your team of Mac-10s/UMPs is suddenly quite scary. Mac-10 not so much.

Lose Pistol Round

No bomb plant.

- Helmet & Tec-9

This is where buying kevlar pays dividends, because if you buy all nades you can’t force up like this if you lose. You do this pretty much no matter what, because it is so effective, and a full buy up as T is cheaper than it is for CT.

The only exception is if you main the AWP, in which case Tec-9 without helmet is OK.

Bomb plant

- Full eco, perhaps a flash or P250 if you want to just rush to get another plant.

This is because you want to force up rifles one round early and have an equipment advantage over the CTs.

- Surprise force with SMGs, or Tec-9 with full nade utility.

Sometimes this is worth it, but it is high risk/high reward. You are at a slight disadvantage equipment wise. Ecoing for a full buy is the safer option, but many opponents are not expecting to face SMGs after winning the pistol.

General buying rules of thumb:

- As a CT, do not have less than $1900 after buying on the third round. This is the minimum to buy up an M4, kevlar, and a smoke/flash.

- If by the 5th round you have not had one single full weapon round, you hosed up bad.

- It is acceptable to skip helmet as CT for more grenades against what should be a full buy, but if you have the money, you should always get one.

- It is much much more acceptable to force a bad buy if your opponent wins one round after a string of lost rounds. This is because it is crippling to their economy and they are unlikely to be able to have a proper buy themselves. This applies mostly as Ts against CTs.

- When in doubt, assume Ts can scrounge together a buy round.

- Try to follow the majority decision. If 3 people force, don’t hold out on principle’s sake or you will end up in a situation with a money mismatch which will break you pretty fast.

- LOOK AT YOUR TEAMMATES’ MONEY BEFORE YOU BUY

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

qhat posted:

When I had just started playing I placed into gn2, moved up to 3. Sterster and BeRandom were mge.

Now we are all gn1-2 after I've gotten considerably better. New ranks are spot on.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

qhat posted:

I hate everything about this "infographic".

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

qhat posted:

I was MG1 and now I'm GN3 so I guess I technically ranked up twice, is what I'll tell myself.

whodatwhere
Aug 24, 2013

Necc0 posted:

new OP this weekend. tell me what to put in / take out / change / kill yourself / get gud

I think it would be good to include "standard" CT splits for each map ie Dust2: 2A-1Mid-2B. Because tbh I am not certain I know what is "default" for each map...

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

whodatwhere posted:

I think it would be good to include "standard" CT splits for each map ie Dust2: 2A-1Mid-2B. Because tbh I am not certain I know what is "default" for each map...

the tried and true d2 ct side pistol round is 5 in ct spawn for faster rotates.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

Jeza posted:

- buy advice-

Good stuff Jeza.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Lol to anyone who's pistol round buy strat isn't "full save so you can buy ump + armor next round cause your gonna loose pistols regardless of what you do, shithead".

Seriously. Stop buying poo poo on pistol rounds, thinking it will give you that extra 0.1% change of winning. Just full save, buy second round on your loss, and win second round. No other team is going to buy up against an armoured team when they win pistols.

This strat works 100% of the time. Ask anyone who has MMed with me and seen me wreck everyone second round cause I BOUGHT.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I could go on for days about CT setups and easy goto plays but no one wants to hear that poo poo when you can just run around and shoot poo poo without thinking or throwing a nade.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Lol to anyone who's pistol round buy strat isn't "full save so you can buy ump + armor next round cause your gonna loose pistols regardless of what you do, shithead".

Seriously. Stop buying poo poo on pistol rounds, thinking it will give you that extra 0.1% change of winning. Just full save, buy second round on your loss, and win second round. No other team is going to buy up against an armoured team when they win pistols.

This strat works 100% of the time. Ask anyone who has MMed with me and seen me wreck everyone second round cause I BOUGHT.

Lol

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

I'd bet the majority of my aces are round 1 USP and I always buy kevlar on CT.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

mcvey posted:

I could go on for days about CT setups and easy goto plays but no one wants to hear that poo poo when you can just run around and shoot poo poo without thinking or throwing a nade.

Best goto plays:
CT side: don't die
T side: rush B, win game

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I'm continually not giving a gently caress when I play. I've found finding a good pop flash for mid and rushing with a Tec9 usually nets me a kill or two, sometimes even the round. It's weird how people don't expect it.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
On what map

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I unbound my crouch key. I never realized just how much I relied on it during shootouts. My fingers keep pressing my duck key every single time I see an enemy. Gonna rebind it once I feel my aim/positioning is better.

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

Audax posted:

I unbound my crouch key. I never realized just how much I relied on it during shootouts. My fingers keep pressing my duck key every single time I see an enemy. Gonna rebind it once I feel my aim/positioning is better.

what about all the things you need to crouch-jump to get onto

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

qhat posted:

I dont know how the gently caress to read this

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Awesome Welles posted:

Left column : post-patch rank
Right column : Ranks that were compressed into post-patch rank

Row 1 : All silvers and the bottom chunk of nova 1s were nerfed to silver 1

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

exethan posted:

On what map

Pretty much anything but Mirage. Even then if you pop flash cat from underpass you have a chance of pushing into connector and killing an AWP if one is in jungle.

Though I mostly play Dust2, Mirage and occasionally Cache.

Audax posted:

It continually surprises me how much I see people crouch spraying on retakes, aim maps and arenas. It surprises me even more because most often those players are clearly better than me as well. But when people crouch I'm actually able to kill them because their head stays still long enough for my old man reflexes to hit.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Awesome Welles posted:

It's just saying what range of ranks people are probably at given their pre-shift ranks. The percentages just indicate the percentage of players at the current rank that comprise of players from a given pre-shift rank.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
I dropped from MG1 to silver, so the chart checks out for my part I guess.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Was DMG, now GNM, chart 100% accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

real dilemma posted:

what about all the things you need to crouch-jump to get onto

I actually lied; there's a key on the far side of the keyboard I can't easily hit for mirage, etc. I was surprised at how many jumps I was doing crouched when they're just simple jumps. Just really making me reconsider my engagements and how I angle fights.

• Locked thread