Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Angry Grimace posted:

Chandra's commitment to Zendikar comes off as really random given that Chandra only showed up like 3 chapters ago and doesn't even know Nissa. Also, I'm pretty sure that Gideon doesn't know that the three Planeswalkers most responsible for all life on Zendikar being extinguished are the other members of the Rangers.

I hope Sorin points that out to them. I suppose his history with Nissa is a good reason for him to not get in the treehouse with them. It does sound like he'll interact with the Gatewatch in SoI though.

Why isn't Kiora in the Gatewatch? There's art of her going to war with Gideon and the allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sigma-X posted:

They've never said they're going to aggressively reprint them though? They said that they wanted a format where they could reprint cards, not that they were going to sculpt a particular maximum deck price.

It will completely shake the foundation of this game's monetization - the entire reason you buy packs at $4 is because it could have a card in there worth more than $4. Every loving pre-release, this thread gets hundreds of posts that amount to "spent $20, did poo poo, but at least I opened $value card" or "didn't open anything worth $value in my pool, but I won X packs so I made my money back / opened $value in one of the packs."

Literally anyone who thinks that they would buy magic cards at anywhere approaching the current retail price of $90/box if the mythics topped out at X, where X is $20 or lower, with everything else scaling accordingly, is loving delusional.

Because the only reason you're buying them now is because you think they're worth more than the paper they're printed on.

If you want to play Modern for dirt cheap, here you go, here's 4 Karns for 50 cents, assuming you are buying all the supplies necessary including commons from the common box at 10c each.

http://magiccards.info/proxy?add=scans/en/mm2/4&n=4&back=mm2/en/4

But no no no, you say, you want to play Official Magic because that's how tournaments are run, and you want to Win Prizes, which are nearly always either Store Credit, Packs, or Cards, with the exception of The Actual Pro Tour/GPs, SCG, and the smattering of tournaments that are trying to be SCG. Which would all be worthless if these cards were printed into the dirt and modern cost what pauper costs. Your FNMs and your big monthlys and your whatever the gently caress that you go to more than 4 times a year wouldn't have any prizes and you wouldn't loving go.

What you really want is the expensive poo poo for cheap, so you can have it, but you don't want card prices to tank because if they did, you wouldn't have wotc selling packs at $90/box (much less $4/pack) and you wouldn't have tournaments that pay out anything and you wouldn't bother going to them.

If you did want that, you can already do that by printing proxies. But what you want is the Official Fun Exciting FNM Where I Can Win $30 With My $100 Deck Every Week, except you don't get that $30/week prize pool when they aren't selling hot singles at $20+ and packs at $4, you'd get $4 in store credit that would buy you the same number of packs but those packs would be worth maybe $7 when you open them if you run hot in this magical loving print-it-into-the-ground land.

This entire stupid game hinges upon the shared, collective belief that this cardboard is worth something. That's why you are even buying Chinese proxies at $1+each when they cost cents for those chinese guys to print and ship. If you didn't want that collective belief that these dumb bits of cardboard are worth something you'd already be proxying magic with your printer or a sharpie.

The "print this poo poo into the dirt" magic already exists in your desktop printer but that's really not what you're looking for, you just want cheap deals on valuable cards and to screw over this mythical mtgfinancier who is Buying All The Good Cards And Making Them Spike instead of it simply being a bunch of individuals buying 4-ofs of the cards that are actually worth playing and therefore worth money, making them worth more money, because WotC has created an artificial short supply to make you think that $4 for 15 cards and an advertisement to buy more is a reasonable thing, or that spending $12/week on 45 cards is a smart thing when you get pissy about your internet costing more than $50/month despite providing you with way more consumable content than those 180 cards/month at $48.

tl;dr: magic is a retarded game for dumb babies

this is the most incorrect loving thing e ver written in this thread, and that includes that asinine argument about new slivers before m14

first of all you're assuming i buy packs

second you're assuming that when i do buy [acks its for a reason other than i have an addictive personality and the monkey on my back wants his fuckin bananas

third you're assuming that aggressive reprints would drive expensive cards down to pauper prices which is lmao as gently caress given that onslaught fetches are still expensive as dick

edit also that aggressive reprints means Chronicles and not Modern Masters+

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 3, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

I hope Sorin points that out to them. I suppose his history with Nissa is a good reason for him to not get in the treehouse with them. It does sound like he'll interact with the Gatewatch in SoI though.

Why isn't Kiora in the Gatewatch? There's art of her going to war with Gideon and the allies.

she was pretty involved last set but this set she's not with the main 4, all we've seen her do is get back her bident.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Pro Tour Gauntlet to let players try top Pro Tour Modern decks on MTGO

6 tix, random deck that did well in the PT. Sounds like an actual good idea in MTGO!

that sounds sweet i am gonna do so many of those lol

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
unfortunately you cant play six bucks to play EGGS BEST DECK EVER so its fuckin trash

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Literally The Worst posted:

unfortunately you cant play six bucks to play EGGS BEST DECK EVER so its fuckin trash

Well take it to the top of the PT and you can fix that!

Disregarding the "try before you buy" aspect (which doesn't work so well as you don't pick the deck, and Wizards can't acknowlege the singles market) it's going to be really good for getting more familiar with the format at large.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BizarroAzrael posted:

Well take it to the top of the PT and you can fix that!

no second sunrise, haven't had a chance to gently caress with the KCI version because i refuse to drop money on fetches, so i play an absolutely retarded legacy version

it's good poo poo op

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Sigma-X posted:

They've never said they're going to aggressively reprint them though? They said that they wanted a format where they could reprint cards, not that they were going to sculpt a particular maximum deck price.

It will completely shake the foundation of this game's monetization - the entire reason you buy packs at $4 is because it could have a card in there worth more than $4. Every loving pre-release, this thread gets hundreds of posts that amount to "spent $20, did poo poo, but at least I opened $value card" or "didn't open anything worth $value in my pool, but I won X packs so I made my money back / opened $value in one of the packs."

Literally anyone who thinks that they would buy magic cards at anywhere approaching the current retail price of $90/box if the mythics topped out at X, where X is $20 or lower, with everything else scaling accordingly, is loving delusional.

Because the only reason you're buying them now is because you think they're worth more than the paper they're printed on.

If you want to play Modern for dirt cheap, here you go, here's 4 Karns for 50 cents, assuming you are buying all the supplies necessary including commons from the common box at 10c each.

http://magiccards.info/proxy?add=scans/en/mm2/4&n=4&back=mm2/en/4

But no no no, you say, you want to play Official Magic because that's how tournaments are run, and you want to Win Prizes, which are nearly always either Store Credit, Packs, or Cards, with the exception of The Actual Pro Tour/GPs, SCG, and the smattering of tournaments that are trying to be SCG. Which would all be worthless if these cards were printed into the dirt and modern cost what pauper costs. Your FNMs and your big monthlys and your whatever the gently caress that you go to more than 4 times a year wouldn't have any prizes and you wouldn't loving go.

What you really want is the expensive poo poo for cheap, so you can have it, but you don't want card prices to tank because if they did, you wouldn't have wotc selling packs at $90/box (much less $4/pack) and you wouldn't have tournaments that pay out anything and you wouldn't bother going to them.

If you did want that, you can already do that by printing proxies. But what you want is the Official Fun Exciting FNM Where I Can Win $30 With My $100 Deck Every Week, except you don't get that $30/week prize pool when they aren't selling hot singles at $20+ and packs at $4, you'd get $4 in store credit that would buy you the same number of packs but those packs would be worth maybe $7 when you open them if you run hot in this magical loving print-it-into-the-ground land.

This entire stupid game hinges upon the shared, collective belief that this cardboard is worth something. That's why you are even buying Chinese proxies at $1+each when they cost cents for those chinese guys to print and ship. If you didn't want that collective belief that these dumb bits of cardboard are worth something you'd already be proxying magic with your printer or a sharpie.

The "print this poo poo into the dirt" magic already exists in your desktop printer but that's really not what you're looking for, you just want cheap deals on valuable cards and to screw over this mythical mtgfinancier who is Buying All The Good Cards And Making Them Spike instead of it simply being a bunch of individuals buying 4-ofs of the cards that are actually worth playing and therefore worth money, making them worth more money, because WotC has created an artificial short supply to make you think that $4 for 15 cards and an advertisement to buy more is a reasonable thing, or that spending $12/week on 45 cards is a smart thing when you get pissy about your internet costing more than $50/month despite providing you with way more consumable content than those 180 cards/month at $48.

tl;dr: magic is a retarded game for dumb babies

Nobody is cracking packs for expensive modern staples because -- get this -- Wizards refuses to print and sell packs containing expensive modern staples. Scalding Tarn wasn't $100 while it was actually in print in Zendikar, and now that it is $100 nobody is cracking packs to get it because there simply aren't packs to crack.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

BizarroAzrael posted:

NO MULTI-COLOREDS

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Yeah, it's trivially easy to disprove, via observation, the weird boogeyman that having staple cards in ample supply will crash their price to 10 cents or whatever instead of, you know, $5-10. Or that people won't pay $90 for boxes of the in-print sets containing said staple cards.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i mean i know for a fact that ever since they reprinted fetchs in KTK i haven't bought a single pack of onslaught, so maybe he's got somethign there. . . .

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

black potus posted:

i mean i know for a fact that ever since they reprinted fetchs in KTK i haven't bought a single pack of onslaught, so maybe he's got somethign there. . . .

also its weird that you can pick up great cards for pauper prices because last time i checked ONS delta was still 40 bucks

which is a far cry from 100something but hardly in the dirt, almost like a balanced point between being dirt cheap and being prohibitively expensive

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
Winddswept heath is still like 12-13$ and that is with a copy in the duel deck that had some other costy cards as well.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Also, I buy officially printed cards (when I bought them) despite having a FedEx Office down the street, because I was willing to pay a mild premium for pretty things to play my games with, and not because I thought owning them was going to make me the new captain of industry in ten years.

but you know, different strokes for different folks

Literally The Worst posted:

also its weird that you can pick up great cards for pauper prices because last time i checked ONS delta was still 40 bucks

which is a far cry from 100something but hardly in the dirt, almost like a balanced point between being dirt cheap and being prohibitively expensive

And it's even better than that because you can go down to 15-20 for the KTK version, so the 30-40 bucks is simply an option for oldschool cred and not a baseline requirement if you want to be a powerful enough wizard to search your deck for an island or a swamp

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, it's trivially easy to disprove, via observation, the weird boogeyman that having staple cards in ample supply will crash their price to 10 cents or whatever instead of, you know, $5-10. Or that people won't pay $90 for boxes of the in-print sets containing said staple cards.

That is part of the problem with the price of staples. People know they're staples. They acquire them, and many people acquire extras to hold onto because they know the cards have long term value. People like me will trade standard playable junk into modern playable cards alllll day long. That has some affect on the price by making the cards less available. There was a lot of KTK opened. You can tell that from the fact that nothing in that set is worth poo poo aside from fetches. Fetches did drop in price, and now have doubled up from the bottom already while KTK is still in print. Its real hard to print staples in a way that lowers their price in any long term fashion, and doesn't inflate the price of other cards. If 10 cards in a modern deck go from $500 to $100, may people will try to build that deck, which creates demand on the cards that didn't get printed, which raises their price. To "fix it" you'd have to essentially print the entire contents of a deck to kill the value of the whole thing at the same time, and print it into the ground so it never gets back up again. Pretty sure they're not going to do that, so the price of modern will never get cheaper as long as the demand for it exists.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Okay so, get this. Pokemon has playable decks that I am pretty sure are tournament legal that are A) Played by pro players and 2) are tier 1 standard meta game decks.

WotC: Take a bunch of modern decks played by proplayers, sideboard and all, and sell them all ready to go for like I dunno 50 bucks or something. You make poo poo loads, the cards are expensive but not prohibitively so, and the idiots that hoard them for mtg finance get to be happy being the idiots they are.

Hire me.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Pro Tour Gauntlet to let players try top Pro Tour Modern decks on MTGO

6 tix, random deck that did well in the PT. Sounds like an actual good idea in MTGO!

Going to play so many of these

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

jassi007 posted:

That is part of the problem with the price of staples. People know they're staples. They acquire them, and many people acquire extras to hold onto because they know the cards have long term value. People like me will trade standard playable junk into modern playable cards alllll day long. That has some affect on the price by making the cards less available. There was a lot of KTK opened. You can tell that from the fact that nothing in that set is worth poo poo aside from fetches. Fetches did drop in price, and now have doubled up from the bottom already while KTK is still in print. Its real hard to print staples in a way that lowers their price in any long term fashion, and doesn't inflate the price of other cards. If 10 cards in a modern deck go from $500 to $100, may people will try to build that deck, which creates demand on the cards that didn't get printed, which raises their price. To "fix it" you'd have to essentially print the entire contents of a deck to kill the value of the whole thing at the same time, and print it into the ground so it never gets back up again. Pretty sure they're not going to do that, so the price of modern will never get cheaper as long as the demand for it exists.

For cards to effectively go down in price the concentration of good chase cards in a set has to be higher than what WOTC has been comfortable with recently in standard sets. Right now the prices of sealed product are concentrated into about 1-4 cards for standard sets. A khans box is basically valued at the 4 fetches, origins is all in jace, and the rest with a handful of multi-format playables. Once innistrad is out and the power level is still not there I expect prices to jump even more.

Their current model of being overly careful of power level is just going to continue to make prices rise until the inevitable crash.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 3, 2016

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Okay so, get this. Pokemon has playable decks that I am pretty sure are tournament legal that are A) Played by pro players and 2) are tier 1 standard meta game decks.

WotC: Take a bunch of modern decks played by proplayers, sideboard and all, and sell them all ready to go for like I dunno 50 bucks or something. You make poo poo loads, the cards are expensive but not prohibitively so, and the idiots that hoard them for mtg finance get to be happy being the idiots they are.

Hire me.

Pokemon may actually better to get into as a player friendly game. Strategy is much less than Magic, but you can actually buy any Tier 1 pro deck for like a 100 or so tops. My kid and I can watch a tournament and then build and actually have fun playing those decks we saw.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Count Bleck posted:

Hire me.

They used to do this with World Championship decks, but of course they were gold bordered because....

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GonSmithe posted:

Going to play so many of these

Biggest expectation is they have some unpaid intern do the list importation and he important both a twin and Bloom Titan deck with their respective banned cards. :buddy:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Count Bleck posted:

Hire me.

I could see my friends and I buying these to play a pro night or something.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

jassi007 posted:

Well, Modern is probably a bad example since a lot of staple cards beyond just lands have got an artificial stranglehold on their supply (everything from Command and Clique to recent thread topic du jour Inquisition of Kozilek), so you would somehow keep those in print every couple of years as well, if you were trying to financially fix the format. But take something like four-color Rally in standard, say a version that plays 4 Jace and 4 Rally. Jace is $50 and Rally is $2. If you somehow create the conditions for Jace to drop to $20, Rally will probably rise a bit, but I'm pretty sure it won't rise by $30. I'm pretty sure it won't even rise to $20 itself.

Part of the reason why this is the case is that Jace is played in several different decks, per format, in multiple formats, while Rally is really only played in one deck in one format. Which is related to what Sickening is says here:

Sickening posted:

For cards to effectively go down in price the concentration of good chase cards in a set has to be higher than what WOTC has been comfortable with recently in standard sets. Right now the prices of sealed product are concentrated into about 1-4 cards for standard sets. A khans box is basically valued at the 4 fetches, origins is all in jace, and the rest with a handful of multi-format playables. Once innistrad is out and the power level is still not there I expect prices to jump even more.

Their current model of being overly careful of power level is just going to continue to make prices rise until the inevitable crash.

Only one deck wants to play Rally, and seemingly only one or two decks want to play Siege Rhino (also a $2 card) but a bunch more decks want to play Jace. And pretty much all the decks want to play all the rare lands at this point.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

Cactrot posted:

They used to do this with World Championship decks, but of course they were gold bordered because....

I forgot, Pokemon actually sell champion decks each year. They are not tournament legal because they have a different back. However, you get a complete deck for 15$, so there is an option for people who want to try decks for fun or to see if they like them before moving on to buy the legal cards.

Imagine being able to pay Wizards instead of black market for a high quality casual product.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sickening posted:

Sure, i'm saying the same thing effectively. I'm just not sure, given that the people buying cards, magic players, effectively don't seem to care what the price is. Despite all the complaining about prices, the cards are selling. How many reprints is enough to stop the lower this raise that effect? Pretty safe to say the answer is "way more than WOTC will ever do"

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Yeah they should have never stopped doing the World Champion decks, those were sweet.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

jassi007 posted:

Sure, i'm saying the same thing effectively. I'm just not sure, given that the people buying cards, magic players, effectively don't seem to care what the price is. Despite all the complaining about prices, the cards are selling. How many reprints is enough to stop the lower this raise that effect? Pretty safe to say the answer is "way more than WOTC will ever do"

Typically things needs a standard sized printing to come down to a reasonable level. While khans was the current set every fetch was a reasonable pickup. If khans had other reprints in the set, say 6-10, that had real modern value the prices of fetches would still be 10-15 bucks.

Standar power level is a real concern and dumping modern staple power level into standard may not be the best result. Modern master however is something that could be so easily exploited for both profit and game longevity but simply hasn't at this point to a level that makes any real impact.

I feel like modern masters sets could be somewhere in the middle of what it is now and a MTGO cube set and both make a lot of money and keep the player base happy. The print run would have to be near standard sized for it to have any real meaningful, lasting affect though.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
don't people who buy/use proxy cards get shunned usually if you go to FNM or something?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Powerful cards in standard are fun. Every card legal in modern was legal in standard at one point.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If Modern Masters only cost like $7 a pack instead of $10 and was printed enough to actually be sold at MSRP, then it might actually do something to impact Modern prices.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DigitalMocking posted:

don't people who buy/use proxy cards get shunned usually if you go to FNM or something?

I don't believe you are allowed to use proxies at FNM. You can only use proxies at unsanctioned events (casual). Saying that, if a proxy card can only be detected as a proxy by a jewelers loupe outside a sleeve than who is going to know?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Chairman Pow! posted:

Pokemon may actually better to get into as a player friendly game. Strategy is much less than Magic, but you can actually buy any Tier 1 pro deck for like a 100 or so tops. My kid and I can watch a tournament and then build and actually have fun playing those decks we saw.

This is the problem with all games that aren't Magic. Yeah I could play Hearthstone or whatever for much cheaper, but its not as fun or deep or intricate as Magic is.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Terrible Horse posted:

This is the problem with all games that aren't Magic. Yeah I could play Hearthstone or whatever for much cheaper, but its not as fun or deep or intricate as Magic is.

Play games that aren't CCG's.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Terrible Horse posted:

Well, no, there are a ton of games for cheaper that implement a lot of strategy just as well if not better than Magic in a lot of areas. Heck, even Richard Garfield said that Magic had too much decided on how the deck was built beforehand and not enough on the decisions within the game and proceeded to make NetRunner. Just go do some research.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 3, 2016

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

So in upcoming set chat -

Rosewater mentioned on his blog that poison was the mechanic with the longest return time - 15 years not including TSP - but that another mechanic was returning within the next few years (0-3) that *might* take that record. e; It's explicitly not banding.

So, what could it be? This is the stuff in the right time range -

Cumulative Upkeep 2006 (10 years) - A contender, but 10 years isn't really close to 15. Plus, upkeep costs haven't really been a thing in general recently.
Fading 2000 (16 years) - Possible, but last I heard they didn't like fading because players didn't notice that they were getting an undercosted thing, just that it felt bad that it didn't stick around.
Madness 2002 (14 years) - Lots of really weird rules issues
Recover 2006 (10 years) - Again, 10 isn't 15, but has interesting graveyard synergies.
Ripple 2004 (12 years) - COOOOOLD SNAAAAAP Yeah no way this one is it but I can hope, ok?

Out of all of these, rules issues aside, it does actually seem like Madness has the best chance to be the returning mechanic. I could see Recover or Fading as well but I'd place them below Madness in terms of player excitement for a returning mechanic. I just hope it's after processors rotate.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 3, 2016

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

cheetah7071 posted:

Powerful cards in standard are fun. Every card legal in modern was legal in standard at one point.

On top of that, cards basically don't have power levels in a vacuum, it matters away more what's around them. Dig Through Time is a perfect example: extremely ban worthy in eternal, hardly sees play in standard right now. They could dump a LOT of modern staples into standard and they wouldn't be degenerate.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Skyl3lazer posted:

So in upcoming set chat -

Rosewater mentioned on his blog that poison was the mechanic with the longest return time - 15 years not including TSP - but that another mechanic was returning within the next few years (0-3) that *might* take that record.

So, what could it be? This is the stuff in the right time range -

Cumulative Upkeep 2006 (10 years) - A contender, but 10 years isn't really close to 15. Plus, upkeep costs haven't really been a thing in general recently.
Fading 2000 (16 years) - Possible, but last I heard they didn't like fading because players didn't notice that they were getting an undercosted thing, just that it felt bad that it didn't stick around.
Madness 2002 (14 years) - Lots of really weird rules issues
Recover 2006 (10 years) - Again, 10 isn't 15, but has interesting graveyard synergies.
Ripple 2004 (12 years) - COOOOOLD SNAAAAAP Yeah no way this one is it but I can hope, ok?

Out of all of these, rules issues aside, it does actually seem like Madness has the best chance to be the returning mechanic. I could see Recover or Fading as well but I'd place them below Madness in terms of player excitement for a returning mechanic. I just hope it's after processors rotate.

It's Banding

Edit: gently caress, it's been 16 years since Fading? I remember winning so many games with Saproling Burst... I'm old :smith:

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 3, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I agree with you. The problem is that these high power level cards weren't always surrounded by other powerful stuff in the set they were printed. New jace is an example.

Lets take old innistrad. Here are the money cards right now.

Liliana of the Veil 99
Snapcaster Mage 63
Geist of Saint Traft 13
Past in Flames 13
Sulfur Falls 12
Stony Silence 12
Olivia Voldaren 10

As you can see, when you get past the first two cards it drops in price pretty severally. If this set was currently in standard card for card, everything past snaps would be pretty loving low and a box would be valued at 70% of what snap and lily would cost. Printing this set in standard for shadows would decrease the price of lily and snapcaster for about a year or two, but then it would just go up again.

WOTC is in a position to look at what was powerful and popular in these previous sets and balance the set around reprinting them. Shadows for instantance could include these cards.

Liliana of the Veil
Snapcaster Mage
Cavern of Souls
blood moon
Avacyn, Angel of Hope
Griselbrand
Craterhoof Behemoth
Huntmaster of the Fells
ETC

Lily and snapcaster would still be your most expensive cards, but the power level of those below it would balance the price of the sealed box more. The more cards are equal in power level, new or reprinted, the healthier the price of the set are. The more jam packed a set is the longer prices stay reasonable. This just involves a design philosophy they aren't comfortable with anymore.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Griselbrand is dead in-story so he can literally be never reprinted ever in any circumstances because of flavor and his ban from commander.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

griselbrand is dead in-story so he can literally be never reprinted ever in any circumstances because of flavor and his ban from commander.

Another reason why uncharted realms and the books were a blight on the game.

• Locked thread