Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Stibnite is cool but bismuth is the cooler mineral.

I would expect a Taste of Hate nerf besides the max reduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I could see a Surgeon's Quartz Flask of Reflexes becoming de rigueur, depending how much dodge they provide. Too little and they'll feel ineffective on their own. Too much and they'll make Acrobatics OP.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

J posted:

Easier to increase maximum resistance? Interesting, considering they've been removing it from the tree for a while now.

I'm betting they want it to be locked into an ascendency thing, rather than be on the base tree.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
There's that thing where when you complete the maze you're able to enchant one item with a special mod. I'm willing to bet "max resist" is one of those mods.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
the exiles everywhere race today was not a void league, and I only noticed that because I now have a tabula in standard (which obvisouly was absolutely terrible in the race)

J
Jun 10, 2001

Pretty interesting 24 hour race starting friday.

Solo only, malachai kill race, but with 20 strongboxes in each area, and "drifting areas of cold damage" which are presumably there to kill you while you're too busy sifting through your sweet stacks of strongbox loot.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.

J posted:

Pretty interesting 24 hour race starting friday.

Solo only, malachai kill race, but with 20 strongboxes in each area, and "drifting areas of cold damage" which are presumably there to kill you while you're too busy sifting through your sweet stacks of strongbox loot.

It's worth noting the high point rewards available in that race if you just want to farm the uniques.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

The only really good unique from the race season is Whispering Ice at the 100 point tier.

If you beat Malachai you get 100 points. 24 hours to beat normal Malachai in a race with no damage mods and 20 strongboxes in every zone. Then you don't have to race any more for the rest of the season.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Call of the brotherhood is pretty good but it's way up there. Definitely gonna give this a run to snag that whispering ice, though. Should be pretty easy to hit even if you careless rip a couple times. I'm guessing bladefall or something would be the simplest way to easy mode this? Specifically I'm concerned about malachai since he already shits ground effects and the wandering ice fields could be painful.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It's a hardcore race, and the last race of this "type" (not exactly the same ruleset admittedly) only 13 people actually completed it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

It's a hardcore race, and the last race of this "type" (not exactly the same ruleset admittedly) only 13 people actually completed it.

Uh, what do you mean by 'type'? If you neglect the winterheart thing, shittons of people complete the boss kill races. If I can fit it into my work schedule I'll definitely give this one a go, I'd like an alt art Whispering Ice, but I'm too burnt out on poe to race regularly this season.

edit: it's too bad it starts at like four in the loving morning on a weekday, I'll miss like the first 12-16 hours of it due to work and/or sleeping like a normal person.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 4, 2016

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Hauki posted:

Uh, what do you mean by 'type'? If you neglect the winterheart thing, shittons of people complete the boss kill races. If I can fit it into my work schedule I'll definitely give this one a go, I'd like an alt art Whispering Ice, but I'm too burnt out on poe to race regularly this season.

edit: it's too bad it starts at like four in the loving morning on a weekday, I'll miss like the first 12-16 hours of it due to work and/or sleeping like a normal person.

The first one was a "blamt" race, which stands for blood magic, lethal (50% increased re monster damage, additional 50% as each element), ancient (totems everywhere), multiproj (4 extra projectiles), turbo (60% faster mob movement, cast and attack speed), which is why only 13 people finished it.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Basically we're suspecting that there's a catch with the cold damage drifts since the last 24hr race was so hard.

Also, new uniques.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1581354

That ring looks pretty good. Might not want to give up 2 ring slots, but running one slot will let you run a 50% and any two 35% or lower auras (2*35*1.4 = 98%) without any investment in reduced reservation.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
You could also run your best aura and run the Clear Mind gem

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I'm a little curious what sort of build would work well in that race, too

firestorm/flame totem?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
So whats the best spec to go to do that malachai without dying unless something goes horribly wrong? Something marauder?

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Really depends on exactly what the icy areas turn out to be, but totems/firestorm trap are almost always a safe bet. Anything ranged will probably be safe as well, especially if the icy stuff moves around.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

megalodong posted:

Really depends on exactly what the icy areas turn out to be, but totems/firestorm trap are almost always a safe bet. Anything ranged will probably be safe as well, especially if the icy stuff moves around.

Dual totems or just the one totem and firestorm? And you just go up through the fire spec area north of witch starting area?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Elemental shrapnel shot ranger should allow you to pick up lots of health and still do simply grody amounts of damage. Just make sure to invest in some int so you can level auras.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

NecroMonster posted:

Elemental shrapnel shot ranger should allow you to pick up lots of health and still do simply grody amounts of damage. Just make sure to invest in some int so you can level auras.

tell me more about how this works. Hatred plus Added X gems? Do you just alt bows until you get one with a healthier chunk of flat ele damage?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

wrath and herald of thunder.

they add flat damage and scale far far better at lower levels and with shittier gear than hatred can ever hope to.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Yeah the usual standbys of totems or traps and firestorm should be good, simply because I'm expecting the arctic clouds to move around and you'll want skills that can do good damage while moving around yourself. Of course, maybe the gimmick is that the clouds are loving enormous and you're going to be taking damage from them constantly so you may want a build with more health sustaining capabilities, who knows.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I hope the clouds just freeze players solid while inside of them that would be funnier than gently caress.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I wouldn't be surprised if it's some sort of cold damage while in it, chilled while in it, enemies gain extra cold while inside, extra chance to be frozen etc, maybe the cold tempest effects.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
if it's just cold tempests and chilling ground everywhere, I'm going to be disappointed

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

How much do armor and evasion matter if you aren't stacking the hell out of them? I'm at ~1200 armor and ~1700 evasion doing maps with no real way to push them much higher. Is it worth giving up a good chunk of either to get more ES to make this dumb ZO/EB/MOM engine work better?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

dis astranagant posted:

How much do armor and evasion matter if you aren't stacking the hell out of them? I'm at ~1200 armor and ~1700 evasion doing maps with no real way to push them much higher. Is it worth giving up a good chunk of either to get more ES to make this dumb ZO/EB/MOM engine work better?

If you aren't stacking them then armor can be useful in very niche situations (anything that deals a ton of really small hits, i.e. the machine gun ladies with their boobs out from Lunaris 2), and evasion will still average out to like ~10% damage reduction with 1700. More ES is gonna be better unless your ZO regen is enough to keep it capped when not fighting dangerous enemies.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think the problem is more that my ES is low enough that it bottoms the gently caress out the moment anything actually threatening shows up, leaving me with some hp and nothing to do but hope I live long enough to get an enduring cry off.

The specific scenario is https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/dis_astranagant/characters on my Templar, swapping out hat and blazon for a 120 ES 89 hp, 98 res hat and 40 ES, 30% WED belt. Neither are crafted, the hat has an open prefix and the belt has an open suffix.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I don't know how much ES you have, but MoM felt real lovely until I had 2k+ ES.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

soscannonballs posted:

I don't know how much ES you have, but MoM felt real lovely until I had 2k+ ES.

About 1050. The guide I'm looking at has 1500 but I have no real idea how. My life is also kinda low but I have 20% coming from the next 3 levels.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Yeah I'd say go for 1.5k ES at the very least.

My EB/MoM/ZO build had 1.8k ES and although it works great in most situations I really didn't like how it falls apart in situations where you need it the most (i.e. during big damage spikes against a tough rare or boss).

EDIT: at 1k I might respec out of it even until you can get more ES quite frankly.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

About 1050. The guide I'm looking at has 1500 but I have no real idea how. My life is also kinda low but I have 20% coming from the next 3 levels.

You just have to suck it up and drop some currency on gear with high ES. I see you are using Lightning Coil so you are really going to have to push ES with your shield/helm/gloves.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

quote:

Challengesshaazu wrote: There was a picture of a staff/sceptre/Dildo in the post announcement on front page. I don't see it here!

Qarl wrote: Someone in QA made an immortal character with it a few hours before we were going to show it off. (Using one of the items unique mods and an Ascendancy passive.) So it needs a little rework.

I'd love to see what that actually was.

Also interesting:

quote:

Hogaric wrote:
Rory (or any other dev), is the herald for chaos damage builds going to happen?

Qarl wrote: Not in Ascendancy.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

soscannonballs posted:

You just have to suck it up and drop some currency on gear with high ES. I see you are using Lightning Coil so you are really going to have to push ES with your shield/helm/gloves.

Is ES significantly more expensive than the other defensive options? I have a 78 Bladefall witch with 3.6k ES. I'm getting into the 20c per upgrade range and it looks like filtering on ES just explodes the price.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

It's more in demand. ES gear is used by standard ES builds, hybrid life/ES, low life, and CI.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

If you want top end ES gear it's going to cost you a lot, but if you go for decent ES it isn't too bad in my experience.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Witch elementalist: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/view/videos/gameID/747/videoId/4788

Shadow Trickster: http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/02/04/path-of-exile-introduces-the-elementalist-as-new-ascendancy-class

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

In image form

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Um, does that look like 100% mana reservation for flicker strike builds to you? Cause it looks like it to me.

edit: Free flicker + 20% attack speed, if you're going oro you get the 60% increased recovery from ignites and +1 frenzy charges with 10% frenzy charge on kill.

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Does Flicker Strike count as a movement skill?

• Locked thread