Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Veteran Hag was a pretty fun time. And by "fun time" I mean she didn't even survive two full turns. Opened by marking her with the Occultist, got a 27 damage Iron Swan crit, a decent Hound Rush, and then my Arbalest got tossed into the pot, which was upsetting. I stopped caring once the Houndmaster got a 40 damage crit and the Hag proceeded to bleed to death in two more actions.

I get the feeling I'm not going to find Veteran bosses too hard as long as I keep remembering to mark and use dog treats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Glidergun posted:

A lot of that probably comes from Survivalist/Nomad Wagon, which really quickly ramp into ~100 crest upgrades. Ignoring the Survivalist own is probably 400 crests on its own, which is eminently worthwhile because that's no more than 1000/2000 gold per character.

Seriously, Survivalist is way too many crests for not nearly enough benefit. I don't think any character has more than 2 camping skills you actually care about unlocking, it's just not worth it.
480 Crests for the Nomad Wagon, 320 for the Survivalist. Take those out and you need about 100 stacks. So... better. But still.

It costs 1.2 million gold to upgrade 16 heroes to max weapons and armor and max all their skills.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
One issue with the whole "heirlooms for upgrades" thing is that you'd have to be pretty careful about balancing the economy. Right now things are priced under the assumption that lategame players are raking in huge amounts of cash by filling every inventory spot with high-value cash. If players had to start carrying both, there would be a much lesser incentive to do long dungeon runs because even in 100% light you run out of space for stuff in medium dungeons if you're taking heirlooms. That is, unless they started discarding every gold item in favor of heirlooms. This would just shift how things are bottlenecked, as pointed out earlier. Such bottlenecks are forced to exist by the limited inventory size. I expect that even if you do things perfectly, someone who is playing the game suitably well will still hit level 5 dudes way before they have a big enough pile of gold to get the full upgrades. You've just replaced the deed grind with a gold grind, which I guess is better since you can do any dungeon, but really the answer should probably be something like reducing the top-tier deed prices for the blacksmith in any case. (I'd probably be fine if the 10% discount upgrades were more expensive as a tradeoff)

A bigger problem would be for new players, who run the risk of never escaping the apprentice stage of the difficulty curve because they can't juggle spending their gold treating their heroes and also upgrading their hamlet. The current system is far more forgiving, since any heirlooms you get are progress for permanent upgrades to the hamlet, not investments in fragile heroes. Such considerations are less relevant if you're framing it as a mod for players who already understand the game fairly well, of course.

On another note, it's amazing how humbling this game can be. I've put together a baller team to do a long champion ruins dungeon (Vestal-Hway-Hound-MaA with like +30% scouting quirks) and everything is going smoothly. Between camp buffs and the Ancestor's Lantern I've got +40% surprise chance on top of full torchlight. Things go smoothly and I'm overflowing with gold and shining trapezohedra. I make it to the last room thinking that things are going pretty well and three enemies all attack my highwayman, putting him to death's door immediately. They get one death check off before I can stabilize it. The crazy thing is that that damage wasn't even from critical attacks, just from focused attacks with no dodges. (I had earlier eaten a huge critical point blank shot, but the master at arms is a tank so things were fine after camping). I was feeling largely comfortable for so long so that scare at the end really drives home that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer. I think I would have been more safe if I had topped off with my remaining food before entering the final fight. Also, I was targeting stress enemies first as opposed to the actually damaging skeletons, literally thinking 'there's no way I'm going to lose dudes to hp loss so I might as well make sure they get back to town with as little stress as possible'. Oops.

e:

Harrow posted:

I get the feeling I'm not going to find Veteran bosses too hard as long as I keep remembering to mark and use dog treats.
I swear I forgot about the treats for almost every boss I have brought a dog to so far. It's a really interesting class ability, but just like skill juggling it's something that's easy to not be in the habit of utilizing properly.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 4, 2016

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Nakar posted:

480 Crests for the Nomad Wagon, 320 for the Survivalist. Take those out and you need about 100 stacks. So... better. But still.

It costs 1.2 million gold to upgrade 16 heroes to max weapons and armor and max all their skills.

Is that before or after the guild/blacksmith discount upgrades? If it's before, that's probably not too bad, especially since there are probably 2-4 skills per hero you can afford to leave at a lower level.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FreeKillB posted:

I swear I forgot about the treats for almost every boss I have brought a dog to so far. It's a really interesting class ability, but just like skill juggling it's something that's easy to not be in the habit of utilizing properly.

This was, no joke, the first time I'd remembered to use a dog treat. I had to keep reminding myself, "Don't forget the loving dog treat."

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

FreeKillB posted:

One issue with the whole "heirlooms for upgrades" thing is that you'd have to be pretty careful about balancing the economy. Right now things are priced under the assumption that lategame players are raking in huge amounts of cash by filling every inventory spot with high-value cash. If players had to start carrying both, there would be a much lesser incentive to do long dungeon runs because even in 100% light you run out of space for stuff in medium dungeons if you're taking heirlooms. That is, unless they started discarding every gold item in favor of heirlooms. This would just shift how things are bottlenecked, as pointed out earlier. Such bottlenecks are forced to exist by the limited inventory size. I expect that even if you do things perfectly, someone who is playing the game suitably well will still hit level 5 dudes way before they have a big enough pile of gold to get the full upgrades. You've just replaced the deed grind with a gold grind, which I guess is better since you can do any dungeon, but really the answer should probably be something like reducing the top-tier deed prices for the blacksmith in any case. (I'd probably be fine if the 10% discount upgrades were more expensive as a tradeoff)
Well, upgrading the buildings doesn't do you any good if you haven't the gold for the upgrades or the leveled-up guys to buy them, so players who spend a lot on stress relief are still punished to some extent. I certainly don't otherwise disagree, but I think the point is that the variety is kind of important because the way the game presently works there's a clear priority in what should be upgraded and tying those upgrades to specific dungeons encourages spamming certain dungeons for long periods of time, then shifting to others. Because weapons/armor and skills are so critically important, Deeds and Portraits end up being vastly more important than Busts (Crests are part of everything so in that sense Crests are "balanced," but you rarely need to go hard on the Cove unless you're upgrading the Nomad Wagon and Survivalist which you'd do way late if you did it ever). It's not that you don't want to upgrade the Bar and Abbey, it's just the Blacksmith/Stage Coach/Training Hall/Sanitarium are much more important and useful. One can't really change that on an economy level (on a general balance level Red Hook could make stress more dangerous if they felt like it but that's beyond anything I would have any idea of how to balance).

Like my goal here, if implemented, would be to just encourage going to every dungeon instead of only one, and of switching from heirloom-heavy runs to gold-heavy runs once per tier instead of "Weald/Warrens-heavy until the Blacksmith, Stage Coach, and Training Hall are done." Ideally the amount of work necessary shouldn't change, just mix up play a little better and prevent Heirlooms from eventually reaching an extinction point.

Glidergun posted:

Is that before or after the guild/blacksmith discount upgrades? If it's before, that's probably not too bad, especially since there are probably 2-4 skills per hero you can afford to leave at a lower level.
Before. If you get all the discounts you exactly halve that. Which is interesting, because if you think about it 600k for 16 heroes (I chose that figure because that's the minimum needed for the DD) isn't a whole lot of money. Your average Champion run could pull in 15-25k or more, less maybe 5-10k in costs, so being super conservative it's like 40 runs to max everyone out assuming no gold spent anywhere else and no upgrades until you have the full discount. You're not actually going to do that, and you might make considerably more gold in a Medium/Long Veteran/Champion run, but that's not so bad really and gives some vague idea of how much it would have to cost to fully upgrade the Hamlet if you swapped building costs to gold; say ~750k total for the whole town. That hardly sounds insurmountable, especially if the costs are backloaded.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What do the dog treats do?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Snak posted:

What do the dog treats do?
3 round buff, +15 ACC, +50% DMG. It's pretty huge.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Internet Kraken posted:

He's a complete rear end in a top hat in NG+ level 5 so I have nothing but contempt for him.

Committing 4 attacks to killing him and watching every single one whiff is infuriating.
Is NG+ substantially harder?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nakar posted:

Wow, that is pretty good. It should probably say that on the item...

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I keep forgetting to use them, too. :bang: I would be enjoying Houndmaster way more if I ever remembered.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

Yeah, they're majorly important. They make the Houndmaster amazing for bosses: mark an enemy and enjoy doing ridiculous damage to them for three turns.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Nakar posted:

Snak posted:

It used to last longer but recently got nerfed.

At one point IIRC it lasted until the end of the dungeon and stacked, so there was no reason not to use both treats immediately (though I somehow frequently still forgot to).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Internet Kraken posted:

You delay doing champion dungeons as long as possible. If you're not playing on NG+/don't want to grind lower levels, you'll have to send some poor saps in eventually. Having a good skill and trinket setup can overcome the equipment deficit but I won't pretend its not difficult and that the RNG can't be extremely spiteful.

The only champion dungeon I straight up would not do without level 5 weapons is the cove. I tried doing it once and everything was faster than my team leading to a ton of extra damage.

EDIT: Tuned into a stream just in time to see a guy party wipe to the level 5 hag :wow:
Man I've been doing the cove with 4/4 upgrades for awhile now. Sometimes you lose the RNG on fish people but I'm batting favorable for the most part.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i always end up throwing the dog treat away, on the assumption that id forget to use it anyway

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Nakar posted:

Stuff is really, really expensive now, and getting bumped through the Veteran content is not hard for guys. Obviously the smart thing to do is to take a deep breath and say "I know I am unprepared for Champion dungeons and am not going to do them," but then you're sitting there staring at some partially-invested lv5 guys and asking what the hell you ought to be doing then because those guys leveled up to 5 pretty quick and now they can't do anything without it being suicidal.

I suppose keeping 4-6 slots free to just continuously float crappy guys and fire them for money runs is possible but again that requires the forethought to have enough of your roster dedicated to it and it's not the most intuitive thing.

The real issue is that costs are absurd, and it's not even just the Deed thing. Go look at how many Crests it takes to upgrade the Survivalist, there's no loving justification for that for the minor benefit you get. It also takes a ton of money to get guys Champion-ready in general, and until you have heroes with Champion-ready skills and equipment you're not turning enough of a profit to equip more heroes to that level (in Champion dungeons; you can of course turn a profit in Apprentice/Veteran if you have guys still doing those, but again "fire the guys you just leveled up and replace them with lv0 guys until the Hamlet's maxed out" does not make intuitive sense to most people).
You can get like 60+ crests in a Long run though, since it stacks to 12 per slot. I don't think the material upgrades are that bad.

The gold grind is pretty bad though....

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

paranoid randroid posted:

i always end up throwing the dog treat away, on the assumption that id forget to use it anyway
I almost always forget to use the dog treats.

I'll pick up too much loot, remember I have dog treats, but hold on to them anyway cause I think to myself "It's not that much loot and I'll just use these in the next battle and free up some space then anyway."

I never use them in the next battle.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Rascyc posted:

Is NG+ substantially harder?

Its just increased monster stats across the board with a loss condition. Not significantly harder just because if you developed the right tactics in NG they will still work in NG+, so you don't really have to learn anything new. The increased stats on some enemies does push them to insane levels when you reach the champion dungeons though. Madmen are insanely fast and insanely dodgy so dealing with them is infuriating. Same applies to dogs in the weald.

Rascyc posted:

Man I've been doing the cove with 4/4 upgrades for awhile now. Sometimes you lose the RNG on fish people but I'm batting favorable for the most part.

See this is a case where the increased monster stats make a difference. The fishmen have enough speed that in NG+ outspeeding them won't happen without upgraded equipment, making the cove substantially more dangerous than other regions. And even with fully upgraded gear it was basically a coin toss whether my plague doctor would move before the shaman.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

How Rude posted:

I know how to play this game semi-competently, I'm just venting because my intended strategy got hosed because for some reason my Jester had multiple level 1 abilities equipped instead of what I intended. But I could have run from the fight right away and been fine, like someone else told me :(

hindsight is 20/20
It's fine. I've been playing this game since early access and look at this comedy of gently caress ups on my part:

Rascyc posted:

gently caress

Rascyc posted:

You can't retreat from the shambler when you go into the void zone.

Gabriel Pope posted:

I could've sworn I successfully retreated from a shambler one time after that change was put in. You definitely can't retreat for a round or two, because all surprise attacks do that now, but I think it eventually unlocks the retreat option?

Rascyc posted:

Really? What's the point of the dumb "void zone" then? I thought I tried to retreat half way through the fight and the icon was grayed out but now I don't remember.

Lame, I could have avoided that wipe then. TMYK

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

paranoid randroid posted:

If you're going to throw it away then at least use it in the very first battle so you can get something out of it.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Rascyc posted:

It's fine. I've been playing this game since early access and look at this comedy of gently caress ups on my part:

If the shambler is the tentacle hell critter then I did retreat from it after about 3 rounds... Then ran into it again when I ventured back into the hallway after camping, assuming it had departed.

Comedy of fuckups abound.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Rascyc posted:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dusty Lens posted:

If the shambler is the tentacle hell critter then I did retreat from it after about 3 rounds... Then ran into it again when I ventured back into the hallway after camping, assuming it had departed.

Comedy of fuckups abound.

At that point you really just have to laugh.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Jade is such a lovely annoying item.

The should change the stack size from 4 to 8. As it is now, it is almost always stupid to keep in your inventory. Jade is worth 250 gold each. That means a full stack is 1,000 gold. Gold stacks to 1,500. It's usually the case that you can find enough gold to fill that inventory slot and that using it to hold 4 Jade would just be robbing yourself of 500 gold. If Jade stacked to 8, instead of 4, then it would be a little gamble: Will I find a total of 6 or more Jade in this dungeon to make this inventory slot worth it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Going Necromancer hunting.

Maybe half these dudes are probably going to die.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Bad Seafood posted:

Going Necromancer hunting.

Maybe half these dudes are probably going to die.

Read it in the narrator's voice and it's a good time.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
As long as you have healing you should be fine, Necromancer goes down pretty fast and it looks like your front line can probably knock down the skeletons the turn they show up.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Im glad theyre taking back the xp treshhold thing, it was the wrong approach entirely. They need to find a way to skip earlygame heroes for lategame players instead of getting them faster out of the midgame.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god. This game has made me a horrible boss. I just had the most fun level 0 farming run in awhile. But I screwed up somewhere, and one of my party ended up getting afflicted. Oh well, I thought, they are level 0, I will just dismiss them after the quest. But due to my healer being irrational, one thing lead to another and by the halfway point of the quest, my entire group was afflicted. Now, they were doing fine, but from that point on, I was basically making them work as hard as the possibly could to survive so that the quest would be as profitable as possible... knowing the whole while I was going to fire them as soon as they completed it, since it wasn't worth paying the cost of treating the mental health issues that working for me caused them.

I'm already a demon, Kaz...I've already become at least as bad as the Ancestor.

edit: I haven't actually fired them yet, but really, I'm not sure I can justify the cost. They just aren't that good of employees. If they were good employees, they would have been able to perform the tasks assigned to them without becoming mentally ill...

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Fire them, they are fictional pixels.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Well that went better than expected.

Couple times I thought I might die on the way over, but the fight itself was a breeze. Killed the Necromancer himself on the fifth turn thanks to strategic stunning and blight stack (20-30 damage per round!) taking only one turn extra to clean up the riffraff.

Next up, my long-awaited rematch with the Brigand 12 Pounder.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You are not as bad as the ancestor until you find yourself swarmed by hybrid pigmen you are responsible for, hth

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Bad Seafood posted:

Well that went better than expected.

Next up, my long-awaited rematch with the Brigand 12 Pounder.

Bring a marking Party. My winning combination was Arbalest / Occultist / Highwayman /Bountyhunter.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Snak posted:

Oh my god. This game has made me a horrible boss. I just had the most fun level 0 farming run in awhile. But I screwed up somewhere, and one of my party ended up getting afflicted. Oh well, I thought, they are level 0, I will just dismiss them after the quest. But due to my healer being irrational, one thing lead to another and by the halfway point of the quest, my entire group was afflicted. Now, they were doing fine, but from that point on, I was basically making them work as hard as the possibly could to survive so that the quest would be as profitable as possible... knowing the whole while I was going to fire them as soon as they completed it, since it wasn't worth paying the cost of treating the mental health issues that working for me caused them.

I'm already a demon, Kaz...I've already become at least as bad as the Ancestor.

edit: I haven't actually fired them yet, but really, I'm not sure I can justify the cost. They just aren't that good of employees. If they were good employees, they would have been able to perform the tasks assigned to them without becoming mentally ill...

What large corporation are you the CEO of?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Bring a marking Party. My winning combination was Arbalest / Occultist / Highwayman /Bountyhunter.
Running with Arbalest, Vestal, Man-at-Arms, Hellion, though should that fall through I do have a high-level marking party in the wings.

Last time I went up against the Pounder and friends I kept whiffing while they kept getting crits, so this team is specifically designed around stunning, buffing/debuffing, and making absolutely sure I can kill everything I need to every turn.

That said, uh, if these dudes fail I'm gonna need to run some suicide dark runs cause I'm running low on cash for the first time this save file.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

I did this with a GR instead of the Highwayman

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The 12 Pounder is now a quarter pounder. :gifttank:

Thanks to everybody who helped me tweak my team just right for some sweet, sweet revenge. Now those two dudes I lost the first time around can rest in peace.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Is the Ancestor responsible for the loving cannon and if so how? It doesn't seem very eldritch but I could also see him being irresponsible in who he sells his cannons to.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The villagers didn't take too kindly to his cosmic ambitions and the local police detachment proved too honorable to accept bribes so he hired some thugs skilled in the art of physical persuasion to keep prying eyes away from the manor.

Dunno what the third part of the story is yet but no doubt since the Ancestor went and offed himself the brigands have declared themselves rulers of the roost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo I think two hours just vanished. I've been building an army of emotionally broken death machines and I've finally cleared the gutters.

I got like four level 3 dudes, two rank four guys, I've got a roster of monster mashers. I just killed a cannon, a loving cannon. I got lucky with misfires and then by the time the guy successfully fired it into my face we all survived on death's door but it did NOT so booya, everyone levels up, everyone gets a week off to go to church, it's a goddamn party here in the Hamlet.

Which is good because I've entered Week 57 and would have been bummed to have nothing to show for it...

Are all of the bosses in the game just variations on these four bosses? I'm seeing like 16-pound cannon on my checklist, which I assume is a tougher version of the cannon I just wrecked?