Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

works4me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

THC posted:

works4me

same. mail.app is amazing and somehow manages to work great on pieces of poo poo like exchange/office365. truly an accomplishment on apple's part.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

THC posted:

works4me

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

cremnob posted:

oh boy get ready for another whiny marco bitchfest on the next ATP, but except this time they think their complaints are legit because walt wrote a post and its another datapoint so therefore there must be something there!

siracusa will be there to correct him tho. Also let's be honest there is now a decent amount of Apple software that is garbage

Hint: All software is garbage

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I replaced my used android phone with a 6S and it's nice and all but the normal search app is freaking Fail and Siri is bad too. But there's an iOS version of the google app android uses that does all the same stuff, but not as badly and doesn't have to open (as many) other apps as the Apple one. Anyway thats my Apple AIDS Story. Oh yeah and I'd be way more impressed with Touch ID if it wasn't used as a bandaid for Apple asking me to enter some kind of password every 10 seconds

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The iOS version of Awful is like, insanely better than the Android one though. What gives.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

THC posted:

what's wrong with Mail? they copied the swiping from Mailbox and you can even ask siri to "remind me about this tomorrow"

polymail is a desktop client (for now, they're working on iOS)

i like being able to just two finger swipe to snooze an email (siri reminder doesn't work: i get anxious seeing an undealt-with email in my inbox, and i'm not going to talk to my phone to do it)

all of mail's gestures require swipe + click, this does just swipe.

polymail gives me a nice soothing picture of nature when i hit inbox zero :3:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I use mail.app for my wife with gmail

it's functional. I can't believe I agree with thc but it "barely
does the job"
which is all I need it to so

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Larry Parrish posted:

Apple asking me to enter some kind of password every 10 seconds

my ipad doesn't have touch id, so this is super annoying because the dialogs are modal and i can't open keep rear end to copy my password. i have to remember to do it before taking any action that might require my password

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
apple adjacent: elon musk is a petulant child

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Last Chance posted:

pieces of poo poo like exchange/office365

big imap fan huh?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

told a coworker about this and his response was "who cares he's doing more for the world than you are"

welp

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

The iOS version of Awful is like, insanely better than the Android one though. What gives.
the android one is open sores so if you want it to be better, just change it you are self!!!!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Last Chance posted:

same. mail.app is amazing and somehow manages to work great on pieces of poo poo like exchange/office365. truly an accomplishment on apple's part.

actually the reason mail.app works at all is because of the standards Microsoft built for exchange/office 365. mail.app is about the only software apple makes that isn't total garbage and Microsoft is the reason.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

polymail is a desktop client (for now, they're working on iOS)

i like being able to just two finger swipe to snooze an email (siri reminder doesn't work: i get anxious seeing an undealt-with email in my inbox, and i'm not going to talk to my phone to do it)

all of mail's gestures require swipe + click, this does just swipe.

polymail gives me a nice soothing picture of nature when i hit inbox zero :3:

inbox zero is some retard blackberry user poo poo

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Blue Train posted:

told a coworker about this and his response was "who cares he's doing more for the world than you are"

welp

rekt

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Wheany posted:

my ipad doesn't have touch id, so this is super annoying because the dialogs are modal and i can't open keep rear end to copy my password. i have to remember to do it before taking any action that might require my password

is this the new 5 figgies thread

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
if shaggar was any good at his job this is where hed say

yes since the apple stock has been doing so badly since windows phone 10 came out

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
:rip: apple stock

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Larry Parrish posted:

I replaced my used android phone with a 6S and it's nice and all but the normal search app is freaking Fail and Siri is bad too. But there's an iOS version of the google app android uses that does all the same stuff, but not as badly and doesn't have to open (as many) other apps as the Apple one. Anyway thats my Apple AIDS Story. Oh yeah and I'd be way more impressed with Touch ID if it wasn't used as a bandaid for Apple asking me to enter some kind of password every 10 seconds

fuckin lmao are you incapable of swiping down on the springboard

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
lol at an anroid user not understnanding why ios actually asks for passwords instead of just letting anything hijack ur device

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

why does every single Apple app individually ask for your password?

the first Google app you install on iOS asks for your password and from that point on every other Google app you install pops up a list of configured Google accounts and asks you to pick one or maybe add another if you want

Google's app experience on iOS is literally better than the manufacturer's app experience on their own device

don't forget that random games ask for you Apple password for GameCenter. training your users to type their password into random apps is a real smart move, Apple, good job.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

why does every single Apple app individually ask for your password?

the first Google app you install on iOS asks for your password and from that point on every other Google app you install pops up a list of configured Google accounts and asks you to pick one or maybe add another if you want

Google's app experience on iOS is literally better than the manufacturer's app experience on their own device

don't forget that random games ask for you Apple password for GameCenter. training your users to type their password into random apps is a real smart move, Apple, good job.

that's not how it works

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
When I set up a replacement ipad for my dad I had to enter his icloud password like 12 times before we got it to a usable state

apple's poo poo is broken

stop covering for it by pretending its FOR UR OWN GOOD

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

broken clock opsec posted:

When I set up a replacement ipad for my dad I had to enter his icloud password like 12 times before we got it to a usable state

apple's poo poo is broken

stop covering for it by pretending its FOR UR OWN GOOD

what

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

that is literally how it works

iCloud, iTunes, Game Center and Find Your Friends all ask for your Apple ID and password separately

I think iBooks does too, but its been a while since I had to configure a blank phone

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

iCloud, iTunes, Game Center and Find Your Friends all ask for your Apple ID and password separately

I think iBooks does too, but its been a while since I had to configure a blank phone

What the gently caress are you talking about? You only enter it once if you didn't gently caress it up.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

note that I'm not complaining about Apple demanding your password to buy something or do some kind of security sensitive task

this is literally different components on the same phone having absolutely no idea who you are and requiring you to log in from scratch

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ya ios is really bad

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

note that I'm not complaining about Apple demanding your password to buy something or do some kind of security sensitive task

this is literally different components on the same phone having absolutely no idea who you are and requiring you to log in from scratch

are you really this dumb

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

yeah i dont have this problem

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it happened w/ me in game center all the time cause game center was dumb poo poo and I never signed in to it but games would constantly throw it in ur face if it wasn't logged in. also sometimes backups would randomly fail so you had to log back in there. same w/ facetime. ios was real fuckin bad and im glad I don't have to deal with that poo poo anymore.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

you can set it though :confused:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Shaggar posted:

it happened w/ me in game center all the time cause game center was dumb poo poo and I never signed in to it but games would constantly throw it in ur face if it wasn't logged in. also sometimes backups would randomly fail so you had to log back in there. same w/ facetime. ios was real fuckin bad and im glad I don't have to deal with that poo poo anymore.
oh so you're one of those people who when asked for their password just hit "cancel" and then wonder why they are asked for it again later

protip enter your password once and it will stop asking for it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

THC posted:

you can set it though :confused:

That's a screenshot of a phone without Touch ID enabled.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
glad to see that you really are that dumb apparently

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

if you don't want to be asked frequently, that's how

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

And I know why every iOS component asks for your Apple ID separately -- its a super half-assed way of dealing with people who somehow ended up with multiple Apple IDs and need to use different accounts on the same phone.

But instead of allowing you to merge accounts or building any kind of account picker UI to easily switch between accounts, they just said gently caress it and gently caress them and demand your user name and password a half-dozen times or so at initial phone setup. The why of that is still a mystery. People with multiple Apple IDs are a tiny minority and they chose to ruin the UX for everybody.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

THC posted:

oh so you're one of those people who when asked for their password just hit "cancel" and then wonder why they are asked for it again later

protip enter your password once and it will stop asking for it

yes because gamecenter is a feature I don't want and theres no way to disable it. alternatively, apple could have logged into game center for me using my apple id which I provided when I setup the device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

And I know why every iOS component asks for your Apple ID separately -- its a super half-assed way of dealing with people who somehow ended up with multiple Apple IDs and need to use different accounts on the same phone.

But instead of allowing you to merge accounts or building any kind of account picker UI to easily switch between accounts, they just said gently caress it and gently caress them and demand your user name and password a half-dozen times or so at initial phone setup. The why of that is still a mystery. People with multiple Apple IDs are a tiny minority and they chose to ruin the UX for everybody.

this doesnt happen

• Locked thread