Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I just found out about Pugmire, a game by Eddy Webb.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/pugmire-fantasy-tabletop-rpg

He describes it as Lord of the Rings meets Planet of the Apes.

Has anyone here backed it and read the preview?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
It came up a page or two back. I was pretty excited until I found out it was d20-based, at which point I became much less excited.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Somebody is doing a Walking Dead card game kickstarter. They're only offering a print and play version?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1792283621/the-walking-dead-collectible-card-game?ref=category_newest

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Somebody is doing a Walking Dead card game kickstarter. They're only offering a print and play version?

This seems like a dumb question... but did they really get a major license, and then use it for their $5000 KS target, print-and-play card game, which is launching with no reviews and with a KS page they knocked out in an afternoon?

Did they maybe not get the license first?

Edit: Yeah surely this isn't a real thing? OK, yeah, his other created project was "Game of Thrones Robots Card Game" (complete with botch-stolen Game of Thrones logo). Lol.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 4, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Their previous Kickstarter was a Game of Thrones card game that was cancelled yesterday after raising 6 dollars.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

boom boom boom posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1792283621/the-walking-dead-collectible-card-game?ref=category_newest

I can't imagine a world where somebody secured the Walking Dead license for a $5k kickstarter, it's shenanigans, unless Kirkman lost all of his money in a gumbo binge or something.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I can't imagine a world where somebody secured the Walking Dead license for a $5k kickstarter, it's shenanigans, unless Kirkman lost all of his money in a gumbo binge or something.

When in doubt, Reverse Google Image Search. The picture of their "team" from the KS page is actually a picture of Norwegian mobile game dev Dirtybit.

Edit: and their "sample cards" are from the Walking Dead Trading Cards by Cryptozoic. Hence why there doesn't seem to be any card stats/abilities on any of them.

InShaneee fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 4, 2016

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

InShaneee posted:

When in doubt, Reverse Google Image Search. The picture of their "team" from the KS page is actually a picture of Norwegian mobile game dev Dirtybit.

Hahaha, so this whole thing is a scam to try to get 5k minus fees.

Edit: Hell their 'card images' on the page is just a crop of this which says it belongs to Cryptozoic's Walking Dead card series.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 4, 2016

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Yeah, it's definitely a bunch of bullshit. No idea what they're attempting to accomplish with their silly fake campaigns (as mentioned, their previous one was a GoT Robot Card Game...what?), but it's absolutely bogus whatever the case.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Someone who has a very loose definition of Warcraft 3.

Actually despite being critical and dismissive of Sirlin's attempt at translating an RTS, it has actually got me thinking about how to translate that experience. And how to essentially translate other Blizzard games into trad game formats. I am aggressively boring and all I can think of so far is Warcraft 3 as a worker placement game with an abstracted map with various zones that you can deploy tiles facedown to, and ultimately an economy euro. And Diablo as a deckbuilder in the vein of Thunderstone (I don't care if it was a poo poo game, it was probably my favorite deckbuilder).

But back to Codex, his latest article is on the Anarchy build. Which has lots of random effects with no unifying theme other than RANDOM! because it's Anarchy! Get it? And thats probably the most damning insight into the game we've seen so far if thats how he's designing the card sets.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Agrias120 posted:

I jumped in for the discounted Ultimate tier, with plans to see how it pans out as the KS goes on. At best, it'll fill out and my group of TMNT-fans will have a new game to rotate in, at worst I'll pull the pledge.

I dunno, so far it just looks like "the last 2,000 miniature based boardgames on kickstarter" but with a turtle skin. They will have a gameplay video up next week though.

Between turtles and zombies Aetherium really picked a bad week to open!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Actually despite being critical and dismissive of Sirlin's attempt at translating an RTS, it has actually got me thinking about how to translate that experience. And how to essentially translate other Blizzard games into trad game formats. I am aggressively boring and all I can think of so far is Warcraft 3 as a worker placement game with an abstracted map with various zones that you can deploy tiles facedown to, and ultimately an economy euro. And Diablo as a deckbuilder in the vein of Thunderstone (I don't care if it was a poo poo game, it was probably my favorite deckbuilder).

But back to Codex, his latest article is on the Anarchy build. Which has lots of random effects with no unifying theme other than RANDOM! because it's Anarchy! Get it? And thats probably the most damning insight into the game we've seen so far if thats how he's designing the card sets.

Been done a few times. The AoE TCG was pretty cool and fun but games routinely took 1+ hours so there was basically no reason to play it instead of, you know, actual AoEII. The WCIII boardgame is kind of interesting, it has extremely underwhelming components by modern standards, it's basically a light worker placement game with light wargame elements. Diablo would probably be best represented as a game like Descent I guess. The WoW boardgame was basically Runequest.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

boom boom boom posted:

The only person that has commented seems to be either impulsive as hell or addicted to backing only garbage.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

InShaneee posted:

Wasn't any doubt, but that's pretty cute. :allears:

At this point getting in on the ground floor of a Sirlin Game is a known risk, anyway.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

drat, just found out there was a Tokaido deluxe edition Kickstarter over the Christmas period. How did I miss that? I love Tokaido and would have ponied up for all those lovely extras.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Christmas 2015? I could swear I remember it being much earlier than that... Maybe it was 2014?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Hey, so remember #FML: the Card Game: the Kickstarter, that hilarious and freshly topical take on the party game set to take the scene by storm with its collection of epic lulz and never before seen revolutionary gameplay? I wonder how they're doing now that they're a couple weeks into their campaign, have they announced any stretch goals or anything oh it was cancelled three days ago at $378 of $13,500, never mind then.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Christmas 2015? I could swear I remember it being much earlier than that... Maybe it was 2014?

Yes, it was March 2014. Funforge made a catastrophic gently caress-up of the whole thing. The unpainted minis editions went out by Christmas, but the full Collectors Edition is still pending.

TheDoctor, where are you based again? I may be able to help you out when it arrives.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Kai Tave posted:

Hey, so remember #FML: the Card Game: the Kickstarter, that hilarious and freshly topical take on the party game set to take the scene by storm with its collection of epic lulz and never before seen revolutionary gameplay? I wonder how they're doing now that they're a couple weeks into their campaign, have they announced any stretch goals or anything oh it was cancelled three days ago at $378 of $13,500, never mind then.

Those 8 backers must feel really crushed.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

InShaneee posted:

Those 8 backers must feel really crushed.

The Tightrope Games LLC website and Twitter are both strangely silent on matter, I'm sure they're simply hard at work finding the best way to soften the blow.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jedit posted:

Yes, it was March 2014. Funforge made a catastrophic gently caress-up of the whole thing. The unpainted minis editions went out by Christmas, but the full Collectors Edition is still pending.

TheDoctor, where are you based again? I may be able to help you out when it arrives.

Wow, how did I misread that? I could have sworn I read it was in December. Well that makes me feel better. And really? Still waiting? That's hosed up.

I'm based in London. <does complicated AFP hand signal>

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The_Doctor posted:

I'm based in London. <does complicated AFP hand signal>

In that case I can let you have my copy for cost plus shipping when it turns up if you want to arrange something. (I can't arrange a redirect to you because I got a copy for a friend.)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Vincent Baker has put up a preview of the new playbooks for Apocalypse World 2nd Edition:

http://apocalypse-world.com/AW2ndEdPlaybooksPreview.pdf

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Covok posted:

By the way, if you check, the majority of kickstarter comments are calling him out on his language.

Since then, his fanboys have chimed in defending his poor decision to write entirely in poo poo-head speak. And most of them are also doing it with affected "accents!"

What a goddamn pile of fuckers. Nerds like that are why I don't tell people I play games.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

I suspect the Walking Dead card game thing is an attempt to trick people that are looking for the miniature game that Mantic put up on KS.

... also I'm glad I held off from buying an Apocalypse World book now that the KS is coming out.

So hey aren't there rumours of a 7th Sea KS coming this year too?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

moths posted:

Since then, his fanboys have chimed in defending his poor decision to write entirely in poo poo-head speak. And most of them are also doing it with affected "accents!"

What a goddamn pile of fuckers. Nerds like that are why I don't tell people I play games.

While I'm not sure anybody needs to defend Crane and his wizard speak, I'm almost tempted to back it based on this alone.

quote:

You talk funny. I don't trust you to finish this project.
You are a fool. We have never failed to deliver as promised on any endeavor to which we have tasked ourselves. Please take your lucre and be gone.

That makes me chuckle everytime I read it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

He can be as far up his own rear end as he wants, but it's causing some hilarious issues where he needs to get info to backers - but he refuses to break character.

Instead he just writes lovely prose to cryptically hint at changes to international shipping rates and new pledge tiers.

There's a time and place for that stuff, but his failing to understand when it's inappropriate makes me wonder if there's something legit wrong with the guy's social development.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
From what I'm understanding (and I'm not defending this behavior, mind) if you're seriously put off by him remaining resolutely in character, then he deems that his games are not "for you".

I can admire him for sticking to his guns, but maybe he would let one of the people who works with him answer serious questions in plain-speak in the comments or something.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

In a move surprisingly exactly no one, that walking dead KS is already suspended for copyright violation.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

I know you don't like Sirlin but you don't need to intentionally misrepresent the Kickstarter. Anarchy's theme is the ability to make threats appear on the board very quickly without much warning. It's really not that hard to understand. I think that his marketing voice for codex is annoying as heck (it reads like someone trying to hype up the game to someone who doesn't get modular deck games, but Sirlin comes across as very condescending even though there's a tongue in cheek aspect to the voice.) The joke about anarchy being random is that it is supposed to be perceived as random by the opponent you're playing against.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Walking Dead has their first Add-On. it's two huge mousepads, six barricades, and ten piles of stuff.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Anniversary posted:

Codex talk: The free print and play is hosted in his web store and requires you put in billing information in order to get your hands on it.

Why?

Hacky webstore design.

That said, you don't need to put in real financial information. You input your billing address, hit "proceed," and it goes "oh, your cart is all free stuff, no payment method needed."

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
World Wide Wrestling: International Incident.

WWWRPG came out last year and it's just fantastic, one of my favorite games to play. It's Pro Wresting in a PbtA framework and builds something interesting and compelling from the way RPGs and Sports Entertainment both use violence as spectacle and storytelling. International Incident is a full-size supplement with more gimmicks (playbooks), new moves to model audience reactions, a structure to track the success (or lack thereof) of your promotion, and a bunch more. You can get copies of the core book in pdf or print through the campaign for this expansion as well.

The game's website has more information and press including plenty of actual play sessions. I'm partial to the one from my show, of course.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I've been interested in this game for a while, so II looked like a good time to get in. Backed at $65.

If anyone finds the idea of tabletop wrasslin any good, you can get all the materials at a pretty good price.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Was waiting for this. Backed in a heartbeat. WWWRPG is fun.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Actually despite being critical and dismissive of Sirlin's attempt at translating an RTS, it has actually got me thinking about how to translate that experience.

It's called Ares Project.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The big Conan Kickstarter got delayed until somewhere around June (for Wave 1). Their excuse is that they picked a Chinese factory that has overbooked their production lines.

18 months from backing to fulfillment. That's...not great.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

General Ironicus posted:

World Wide Wrestling: International Incident.

WWWRPG came out last year and it's just fantastic, one of my favorite games to play. It's Pro Wresting in a PbtA framework and builds something interesting and compelling from the way RPGs and Sports Entertainment both use violence as spectacle and storytelling. International Incident is a full-size supplement with more gimmicks (playbooks), new moves to model audience reactions, a structure to track the success (or lack thereof) of your promotion, and a bunch more. You can get copies of the core book in pdf or print through the campaign for this expansion as well.

The game's website has more information and press including plenty of actual play sessions. I'm partial to the one from my show, of course.

Thanks for the heads up! I bought the original game almost immediately after hearing about it on your show. My group enjoyed a short campaign of it and I'm sure we're down for more, so I backed it.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Backer update #1 - WWWRPG already funded and it got added to "Projects We Love" by Kickstarter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

CHARIOT is Wood Ingham's game set in Atlantis as described by the Theosophists — a world of sky-ships, orgone-powered ray-guns, racism, and slavery.

quote:

The elevator pitch: Chariot is a fantasy role-playing game set just before the final fall of an occult, theosophical Atlantis tempered by my boyhood imagination. It uses Tarot cards rather than dice, and has a heavily occult and magickal flavour to it.

In Chariot, your character has had a vision of when they're going to die – in the Catastrophe that will remake the earth – and lives in the sure knowledged that they can't die before that point. So now, knowing that Atlantis is doomed, whom will you save? What will you do for the future of a human race that you won't see?

You play a character who can't die until you say, who has mystical powers tied to the major arcana of the Tarot. You are one of the people who, though they die, will bring transformation to the world. Your legacy will live on, though you are forgotten.

Atlantis is an old empire, and being an empire, it's built on injustice. Can you bring justice to Atlantis? Do you want to even try? Where will you stand, in the face of the coming wave?

Wood has written a lot for White Wolf and Onyx Path; he's been pretty instrumental in most of the nWoD/Chronicles of Darkness games, he also self-published the darkly funny MSG™. He also knows his poo poo about Theosophy and its visions of Atlantis like nobody else. Malcolm Sheppard and me are writing the first two stretch goals.

It's on IndieGoGo as flexible funding, because you will get what you pledge for whether it hits the goal or not. The purpose of using IGG is twofold: first, to have a platform to handle pledges/preorders, and second, to see if enough people want in to give stretch goals. Pledging even £1 gets you the 99% complete text, though he's having to send the links out manually just now.

• Locked thread