Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/higher-education/offer-to-drop-qut-race-slur-case-for-5000/news-story/2cd2f6b1598d776a49acd14ef2f9bcba
I should really buy a subscription but can someone help a brother out again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Does the "Google headline in private browsing window" trick not work anymore?

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

norp posted:

Does the "Google headline in private browsing window" trick not work anymore?

I needed to clear my cookies to get it to work.

A woman seeking $247,470 in a racial vilification row against ­academics, jobless students and a top Queensland university ­offered to drop students from the case in return for $5000 ­payments.

The Australian can reveal that at least two students, who were accused by indigenous woman Cindy Prior of racial vilification over their posts on a QUT Facebook page in May 2013, accepted confidential settlement offers and were removed from the legal case in the Federal Circuit Court.

The Brisbane students — includin­g one who wrote that ­racial segregation at the university’s Oodgeroo Unit, a comput­er lab for indigenous students, encouraged division and was “more retarded than a women’s collective” — emphatically reject­ allegations of racism.

They settled, as they could not afford the legal costs to defend­ themselves in the case, which is relying on the controversial section 18C of federal race­ discrimination laws.

The students did not want to be unfairly linked to racism, which would damage their reputations and job prospects, accordi­ng to senior sources.

One Brisbane student still being sued in the court proceedings, Calum Thwaites, 24, was told by Ms Prior’s solicitor, Susan Moriarty, in a legal letter: “Our client is prepared to discontinue her complaint of racial vilification against you and agree to confidentiality in consideration of your payment to her of the sum of $5000.”

Neither Ms Moriarty nor Ms Prior returned calls from The Australian.

Ms Prior was working as an administration officer at QUT’s Oodgeroo Unit at its Gardens Point campus when three stud­ents walked in to access the computers, which were not being used. Ms Prior asked the stud­ents whether they were indig­enous, and turned them away when they confirmed they were not. The fee-paying students were concerned racial segregation was being practised. Subsequent posts on a QUT Facebook page protested against the decision to turn them away. One student wrote: “Just got kicked out of the unsigned­ indigenous computer room. QUT (is) stopping segregation with segregation.”

The posts triggered a formal complaint to the Human Rights Commission and then a $247,470 claim in the Federal Circuit Court which names three QUT staff — professor Anita Lee Hong, equity director Mary Kelly and lecturer Sharon Hayes — as well as five students and QUT in a racial vilification case that cites section 18C.

Ms Kelly, who is indigenous, attempted to resolve Ms Prior’s complaints at an early stage, telling her: “With the small amount of contact I’ve had with the students, it is clear that these students aren’t racist. There is no white suprem­acy group at QUT.”

Ms Prior could not work for two years and said she had suffered­ offence and injury from the incident.

Mr Thwaites, who is studying to be a high school teacher, said yesterday: “I can’t afford a $5000 settlement, but I didn’t write the one comment that was attributed to me. I can’t even pay $1000 to be honest. I shouldn’t have to pay anything because it wasn’t me.

“This whole thing has completely smeared my reputation. If people look me up online they will think ‘that’s the guy who was racist’. I’m not a racist and I would never in my life write a comment like the one I’m accused of.

“I’ve been confused, stressed and angry about it. I’m an upstanding citizen and I just want my name cleared. If you type my name into Facebook there have been multiple accounts set up with photos of me, but only one is mine. I didn’t post the comment ‘ITT niggers’ and I have repeatedly explained this.”

Mr Thwaites, who hopes to graduate at the end of next year, was told by Ms Prior’s solicitor he had 14 days to accept her settlement offer of $5000. He said he had explained at a legal conference with her that he had nothing to do with the Facebook post, and was backed up by Facebook.

Due to his lack of funds he represented himself in the Federal Circuit Court. “It was incredibly stressful,’’ he said. “I told the judge: ‘I didn’t write it and I don’t know who did — I’ve been impersonated on Facebook’.”

Mr Thwaites said he believed section 18C, which makes it unlawful to “offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate” another person or group of people because of their race, colour or ethnic origin, needed to be changed urgently to prevent it being used unfairly. “I think it’s unjust,’’ he said.

“I get why some people like 18C but it’s really easy to take offence, and you are not going to say anything if this is going to be the result. People who don’t understand 18C would be sympathetic about keeping it, but … most people have said something they thought harmless on the internet that could potentially be a violation of 18C.”

QUT vice-chancellor Peter Coal­drake said yesterday the Oodgeroo Unit provided dedicated support and services to help Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander­ students, adding that these were “not in any way a form of segregation or discrimination”.

Professor Coaldrake said they were not inconsistent with discrimination laws. Asked if the unit was officially off-limits to non-indigenous students, he said: “The … spaces are generally reserved for indigenous students.” The unit cost $2.72 million to run last year, $2.42m of which came from federal indigenous support programs.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Snod. posted:

includin­g one who wrote that ­racial segregation at the university’s Oodgeroo Unit, a comput­er lab for indigenous students, encouraged division and was “more retarded than a women’s collective” — emphatically reject­ allegations of racism.

Getting sued for being both amusing and entirely accurate is pretty poo poo. Prior sounds like a real running poo poo of a delicate fuckwit.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 4, 2016

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Getting sued for being both amusing and entirely accurate is pretty poo poo. Prior sounds like a real running poo poo of a delicate fuckwit.

Ha Ha Yeah That Was A Pretty "Brotastic" Joke He Made There, Broski And/Or "Broheim" !

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Adani has frozen its investment in Australia’s largest proposed coalmine until world coal prices show a clear recovery, its executives have indicated in stock analyst briefings in India.
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/feb/04/adani-freezes-investment-in-carmichael-mine-until-world-coal-price-recovers?CMP=soc_567

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

gay picnic defence posted:

Adani has frozen its investment in Australia’s largest proposed coalmine until world coal prices show a clear recovery, its executives have indicated in stock analyst briefings in India.
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/feb/04/adani-freezes-investment-in-carmichael-mine-until-world-coal-price-recovers?CMP=soc_567

QLD Labor will still push ahead with the project

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

open24hours posted:

I hadn't heard of this guy before so I looked him up. He seems pretty inoffensive? What's he done?

Adamantly refuses to campaign on free education, refused to print pamphlets for O-week despite having a 100k+ budget for printing because RDN wouldn't let him.

Despite ripping the higher ed portfolio off Lee Rhiannon several months ago, I had to walk one of his staffers through the entire situation of TAFE in NSW and write a media release for them over the phone because otherwise they would have messaged on TAFE as a "viable alternative" for VET.

Nothing about his performance thus far has been impressive and he's comprehensively failing to fill some VERY big shoes re: higher ed. Dropping the ball on O-week is unacceptable.

I give him some credit, though, a lot of the issue is that he's taking marching orders off RDN.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Despite ripping the higher ed portfolio off Lee Rhiannon several months ago

What ended up happening about this? Last it got mentioned there were divestment threats

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Ha Ha Yeah That Was A Pretty "Brotastic" Joke He Made There, Broski And/Or "Broheim" !

You have to have the worst kind of rocks in your head to believe that anything about Prior's reaction to this is both warranted and legitimate. The single racist facebook comment of disputed origin is the only bad part, otherwise she's behaving like a professional victim looking for offence and an easy pay day.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Professional victim, check.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Starshark posted:

Professional victim, check.

What else would you call a person who lodges a HRC complaint against students for questioning the need for segregation, then suing both the students and staff members who attempted to intercede - including one whose job it was to intercede - for a quarter of a million dollars, and on top of that attemptint to extort settlement money out of the students?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

NTRabbit posted:

nice

NTRabbit posted:

You have to have the worst kind of rocks in your head to believe that anything about Prior's reaction to this is both warranted and legitimate. The single racist facebook comment of disputed origin is the only bad part, otherwise she's behaving like a professional victim looking for offence and an easy pay day.

look i had written a paragraph which examined the case and the location and where the comments were posted, but you aren't really interested in that so just shut the gently caress up, i guess

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

What else would you call a person who lodges a HRC complaint against students for questioning the need for segregation, then suing both the students and staff members who attempted to intercede - including one whose job it was to intercede - for a quarter of a million dollars, and on top of that attemptint to extort settlement money out of the students?

It's not segregation, the computers are aimed to be used by Indigenious and Torres Strait Islander students, in a location where they can easily access culturally sensitive and relevant assistance.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Recoome posted:

nice

look i had written a paragraph which examined the case and the location and where the comments were posted, but you aren't really interested in that so just shut the gently caress up, i guess

Recoome posted:

It's not segregation, the computers are aimed to be used by Indigenious and Torres Strait Islander students, in a location where they can easily access culturally sensitive and relevant assistance.

There is no world where the correct response to these events as described is to immediately sue staff and students for $250,000

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Hmm I see that you are shifting the goalposts now

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Recoome posted:

Hmm I see that you are shifting the goalposts now

You appear to have misread, then

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

NTRabbit posted:

You appear to have misread, then

I do like how you say that calling the lab 'more retarded than a woman's collective' was 'amusing and entirely accurate'. Shows a keen grasp of the issues.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Adamantly refuses to campaign on free education, refused to print pamphlets for O-week despite having a 100k+ budget for printing because RDN wouldn't let him.

Despite ripping the higher ed portfolio off Lee Rhiannon several months ago, I had to walk one of his staffers through the entire situation of TAFE in NSW and write a media release for them over the phone because otherwise they would have messaged on TAFE as a "viable alternative" for VET.

Nothing about his performance thus far has been impressive and he's comprehensively failing to fill some VERY big shoes re: higher ed. Dropping the ball on O-week is unacceptable.

I give him some credit, though, a lot of the issue is that he's taking marching orders off RDN.

I guess there's no simple answer, but do the Greens leadership not want to campaign on free education for a reason? Worried about being painted as 'fiscally irresponsible' or something?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Starshark posted:

I do like how you say that calling the lab 'more retarded than a woman's collective' was 'amusing and entirely accurate'. Shows a keen grasp of the issues.

Anyone advocating "safe spaces" and segregation has no business being on a university campus, and that includes women's collectives. That's the sort of pseudo scientific nonsense that has turned American higher education into a public joke in recent months.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Anyone advocating "safe spaces" and segregation has no business being on a university campus, and that includes women's collectives.

Please tell me more about why you think this

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

NTRabbit posted:

Anyone advocating "safe spaces" and segregation has no business being on a university campus, and that includes women's collectives.

I take it you don't identify as being part of a minority group?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I don't identify as anything, barring which team I'm supporting at a given contest, and that's not really an identity.

Recoome posted:

Please tell me more about why you think this

So called safe spaces encourage insular thinking and the stifling of debate and free thought, which is anathema to the entire purpose of higher education.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 5, 2016

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

NTRabbit posted:

I don't identify as anything except human, barring which team I'm supporting at a given contest, and that's not really an identity.

White male, then. Gotit.

quote:

So called safe spaces encourage insular thinking and the stifling of debate and free thought, which is anathema to the entire purpose of higher education.

LOL how do you reckon.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

NTRabbit posted:

I don't identify as anything, barring which team I'm supporting at a given contest.

Bahahaha what "debate and free thought" gets stifled by minorities and/or the vulnerable having a place that they can identify as their own?

I'm serious, please provide one concrete example of the kind of stifling you're talking about, because I can't come up with jack poo poo.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Starshark posted:

White male, then. Gotit.

LOL how do you reckon.

Look who's quick to stereotype

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
The problem with ntrabbits thinking that he will never comprehend is that he is in no way disadvantaged by people having other things

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

NTRabbit posted:

Look who's quick to stereotype

Way to avoid the question.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Starshark posted:

Way to avoid the question.

Worthy of Turnbull himself.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
AFP are currently discussing whether to go after ABF for paying people smugglers. I'm phone posting but it looks like more Pavel is needed in here if someone can pick up the slack.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

SadisTech posted:

Bahahaha what "debate and free thought" gets stifled by minorities and/or the vulnerable having a place that they can identify as their own?

I'm serious, please provide one concrete example of the kind of stifling you're talking about, because I can't come up with jack poo poo.

This thread.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Laserface posted:

This thread.

This thread sure is in a safe space at a university.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Anyone advocating "safe spaces" and segregation has no business being on a university campus, and that includes women's collectives. That's the sort of pseudo scientific nonsense that has turned American higher education into a public joke in recent months.

What d'you mean by "psuedo scientific"?

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Laserface posted:

This thread.

A literally meaningless response, good typical work

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Lots of lecturing to people paying no attention. Checks out.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
https://twitter.com/joshgnosis/status/695385979851411456

pavel_erect_cockring.jpg

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Yes, safe spaces are what is ruining US colleges reputation

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Malcolm Turnbull says states must lift taxes to share rising health costs
http://gu.com/p/4ge55

malcolm turnbull posted:

The states have got themselves into a way of thinking that every time they need more money they go to the ATM of the federal government and when you say to the state ... ‘You have land tax, you have payroll tax,’ they say, ‘Oh well, that would be politically difficult,’ and we say, ‘Well you’re asking us to put up the GST. Do you think that’s political easy?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

katlington posted:

Malcolm Turnbull says states must lift taxes to share rising health costs
http://gu.com/p/4ge55

Someone should put a bin under that cross he's up on then pry out the nails

• Locked thread